Frozen - Let it Go, my confession

Mickey1984

Original Poster
I'm just going to come out and say it (I'm sure everyone is thinking the same thing), I prefer the Demi Lovato version to the Idina Menzel version, I just don't think Menzel's voice suits the character or the song, the voice is too old, and it seems (to me) that the way she sings it is more about how much she can project her voice rather than show the feeling over the charaterand the song .......

Come on don't tell me you don't agree now ......

jencor

Wow, are we really that desperate to knock a film that everyone is finding as better then ever anticipated. It was still number 4 last week. It does not slow down and lines to see the princesses are insane. Don't like the voices, don't watch the movie, as for me, I am waiting for the video.

Mickey1984

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong - loved the film, bought the soundtrack even, love that as well, just my opinion that really the voice of the character doesn't suit for me.

As I say, I am not knocking the film, or even the song (still a decent version of the song, and over all I love the song), just for me it would have suited the character and the emotion of that scene better to have the DL version in the film, I just don't think IM's voice lends it self to Elsa at all, her voice is an older ladies (sorry Idina) voice, compared to Else who was maybe 18-20? (not sure really what her age was, sorry if it was mentioned in the film I don't remember)

Tom

Beta Return
I love the movie too, ESPECIALLY the music. But I will say that, while I believe Idina performs the song better than Demi, I agree that she sounds much older than her character. Demi's younger voice would have fit better. But, she couldn't have performed it in the style needed for the film. She's a pop star and her version suits her.

Last edited:

Mickey1984

Original Poster
I love the movie too, ESPECIALLY the music. But I will say that, while I believe Idina performs the song better than Demi, I agree that she sounds much older than her character. Demi's younger voice would have fit better. But, she couldn't have performed it in the style needed for the film. She's a pop star and her version suits her.

Yes very true, was saying the same to my wife yesterday, I prefer the voice of DL, but I prefer the IM version of the song if that makes sense, the DL version is more as you say "popy", but I think DL could maybe have sang the other version as well, she has a softer / younger voice for me.

All opinions, just the more I think about it, and the more I listen to the soundtrack, the less I like IM's voice LOL.

Britt

*gasp*

I loooooove Let It Go! Been singing it for weeks in my head! I can't imagine a better version out there, than the one in the movie! I think the voice suits Elsa perfectly!

Granted....I've never heard DLs version! She's not really an artist I follow or pay much attention to! Might look it up today though once I can get on a comp ;)

Britt

Ok so I pulled it up on YouTube and while it's nice and Demis voice is certainly younger....I don't think her voice holds the same power at all!! It's a beautiful version for sure, but I think I still prefer the original ;) (except I can hit all Demi's notes and not so much IM's as easily!! So I do like that aspect of it! Hahaha)

WDWFan_Boston

I don't dislike it, but it's way overrated. One of the weakest Disney songs ever.

Ever? That's a bit harsh. There's several dozen songs that rank a LOT lower than Let it Go. I prefer the IM version much more than DL.

I left the theater loving the movie, but not overly impressed with the music. But, after listening to the soundtrack several times, I think it's one of Disney's strongest efforts in 15 years (although Tangled had a few good songs as well).

Everybody has an opinion, nobody's wrong on this one. But, a whole lot of people seem to love the movie and music, to the tune of almost $900,000,000 (and counting...)

Pocahontas

Idina has such a strong voice. I'm really not a Demi fan. I agree her voice didn't suit Elsa very well, but I don't think Demi's would have either. Idina's is much more theatrical, Demi's was purely pop. I think Idina's conveyed power and emotion. The song overall, I think, is a good song - not amazing. Frozen as a whole is overrated. Just my opinion.

StarWarsGirl

Idina has such a strong voice. I'm really not a Demi fan. I agree her voice didn't suit Elsa very well, but I don't think Demi's would have either. Idina's is much more theatrical, Demi's was purely pop. I think Idina's conveyed power and emotion. The song overall, I think, is a good song - not amazing. Frozen as a whole is overrated. Just my opinion.
I think Tangled was a better film than Frozen. Better villain, and as a hopeless romantic, I loved the love story, but Frozen was very awesome.

bethymouse

My boys ( age 9) actually like the Idina version better. Perhaps that's because their Mommy is a community musical theater actress/singer. They prefer singing along to the "character " version of the song, instead of the pop version. We listen to both though because we love the movie and the music! We even listen to the "score". Can't wait to buy the DVD. Great movie! Loving the success of the movie! The song does have a message about "the past is in the past"...;) Just MHO.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom