Frozen Bobsleds?

FettFan

Original Poster
Now that Frozen has taken home an Oscar AND surpassed the $1Billion-with-a-Capital-B mark....how about a new ride?

Build a new bobsled-coaster...not a clone of the Matterhorn of course...something far grander.
370527005.jpg

Pictured: Concept art of "Polar Adventure" themed land at Hong Kong's Ocean Park. The bobsled ride was scrapped in favor of a traditional steel coaster. None of the elaborate themeing has been built either.

Ride vehicles would careen over a bobsled run
blackpool110.jpg

that would lead them through several movie locations, including the Troll's village and Elsa's palace. The ride culminates with an encounter with the not-so-holly-jolly snowman Marshmallow,
Marshmallow_(Frozen).png

who kicks you out of the palace...LITERALLY, sending you back down the mountain to Arandelle.

Would make more sense than overlaying Maelstrom.

1. Would be an actual, honest-to-goodness E-ticket.

2. Could possibly lead to a new expansion for the Magic Kingdom by building the entire kingdom of Arandelle, just as Universal built Hogsmeade for Harry Potter.
Location? Between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland....where the Indy Grand Prix is now. In the words of Sallah..."Sorry, Indy".

3. It keeps the serious, educational tone of World Showcase intact. I've long griped about Gran Fiesta Tour dumbing down Mexico...no sense in letting the same thing happen to Norway.

FettFan

Original Poster
Must it be based on Frozen, or any film for that matter?

1. Its box office success would provide an incentive to build. $1 Billion dollar movie...and second only to Toy Story 3 for top grossing animated films of all time.

2. Fantasyland is already mostly based on Disney animation. The only attraction not based on a Disney animated film is It's a Small World. Since this would be a further expansion of Fantasyland, it's fair game.

3. TDO is already planning on putting Frozen into Maelstrom...which is a half-assed, cheap way of operating. This would be a substantial development. Tomorrowland Indy Grand Prix Speedway was already amputated back when they built Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland...but even before that, it was already a truncated version of DL's Autopia.

Californian Elitist

1. Its box office success would provide an incentive to build. $1 Billion dollar movie...and second only to Toy Story 3 for top grossing animated films of all time.

2. Fantasyland is already mostly based on Disney animation. The only attraction not based on a Disney animated film is It's a Small World. Since this would be a further expansion of Fantasyland, it's fair game.

3. TDO is already planning on putting Frozen into Maelstrom...which is a half-assed, cheap way of operating. This would be a substantial development. Tomorrowland Indy Grand Prix Speedway was already amputated back when they built Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland...but even before that, it was already a truncated version of DL's Autopia.

I don't really understand your given reasons. I think an attraction like this would do just fine without a film attached to it. People will flock, whether it's based on a movie or not.

FettFan

Original Poster
Perhaps, but the way Disney is operating these days, it wouldn't get done without a billion-dollar movie or franchise backing it up. However, unlike Dances With Blue Cats and Star Wars, Frozen's history is completely Disney....Walt first attempted to adapt The Snow Queen with Sam Goldwyn back in the 1940s.

Also, consider that TDO would finally have a suitable place for Meet and Greets in the Arandelle area. The Stave Church wasn't exactly designed with a huge influx of folks in mind....and when you have little princesses waiting dutifully for hours to meet the Frozen sisters, surely other means must be built.

Sped2424

His point is that really the only way things happen now is through an IP at the US parks, a sad fact but true. So if we must use an IP lets try and think of good attractions that will work for them and be a unique experience. I love this idea and I agree Ips shouldn't been thrown into everything, but sadly thats not the reality at the moment.

Disneyhead'71

The thing about using popular IPs for attractions is that they come with a built in fan base. The fact that people are queuing for hours at the Frozen M&G tells me that a Frozen attraction/miniLand would be quite popular and a quality attraction based on the IP would drive attendance better than the same attraction would without the IP.

Scuttle

The thing about using popular IPs for attractions is that they come with a built in fan base. The fact that people are queuing for hours at the Frozen M&G tells me that a Frozen attraction/miniLand would be quite popular and a quality attraction based on the IP would drive attendance better than the same attraction would without the IP.
It's definitely a safer bet, but it by no means equates to how popular an attraction can be without it. If the attraction is that good people will come period. Everest is a good example at WDW.

That style of ride that is pictured are very fun and is something that none of the parks in florida have. In england there are a few theme parks that have this style of ride and they are very fun. Could be interesting having it start at the top of the castle and working it's way down perhaps meething marshmellow on the way?
A frozen attraction/area is something that lots of people do seem to want but it seems the placement of the area is crucial e.g. not taking over the Norway area. I feel Hollywood studios would probably be the best location but replacing the speedway is another good idea as I personally don't enjoy that ride at all and always avoid it.

rangerbob

They built a bobsled coaster at Knoebles. They started in 2006 and just opened it late last year. I think that parts of it was rebuilt 4-5 times. They went through 5-6 different coaster designs and after 8 years they got it right. Imagine if WDW were to try this and it would have happened to them with the numerous problems that Knoebles had. Here is the info about it http://rcdb.com/3458.htm# From what I heard the throughput is extremely low due to the design of the coaster and if high in maintenance cost since it is all laminated lumber.

FettFan

Original Poster
They built a bobsled coaster at Knoebles. They started in 2006 and just opened it late last year. I think that parts of it was rebuilt 4-5 times. They went through 5-6 different coaster designs and after 8 years they got it right. Imagine if WDW were to try this and it would have happened to them with the numerous problems that Knoebles had. Here is the info about it http://rcdb.com/3458.htm# From what I heard the throughput is extremely low due to the design of the coaster and if high in maintenance cost since it is all laminated lumber.

Ah, but the reason Knoebles had so many problems was because:
1. It is a reproduction from a bobsled coaster originally built back in the 1920s, and it was backwards-engineered from scratch, as the actual blueprints were lost over time.

2. It's wood.

Compare that to the steel bobsled coasters in Europe built by both Intamin and Mack Rides, which all have met with success.

EDIT -- Actually there is one in operation at King's Dominion in Virginia: The Avalanche.

Voxel

President of Progress City
1. It is a reproduction from a bobsled coaster originally built back in the 1920s, and it was backwards-engineered from scratch, as the actual blueprints were lost over time.

2. It's wood.

Compare that to the steel bobsled coasters in Europe built by both Intamin and Mack Rides, which all have met with success.

EDIT -- Actually there is one in operation at King's Dominion in Virginia: The Avalanche.
Correct, you beat me to responding to this!! I love the Avalanche, living just 30 mins from the park I find that ride amazing, truly a fun experience.

Wikkler

2. It's wood.

Avalanche is a great coaster IMO.

jlsHouston

Now that Frozen has taken home an Oscar AND surpassed the $1Billion-with-a-Capital-B mark....how about a new ride?

Build a new bobsled-coaster...not a clone of the Matterhorn of course...something far grander.
370527005.jpg

Pictured: Concept art of "Polar Adventure" themed land at Hong Kong's Ocean Park. The bobsled ride was scrapped in favor of a traditional steel coaster. None of the elaborate themeing has been built either.

Ride vehicles would careen over a bobsled run
blackpool110.jpg

that would lead them through several movie locations, including the Troll's village and Elsa's palace. The ride culminates with an encounter with the not-so-holly-jolly snowman Marshmallow,
Marshmallow_(Frozen).png

who kicks you out of the palace...LITERALLY, sending you back down the mountain to Arandelle.

Would make more sense than overlaying Maelstrom.

1. Would be an actual, honest-to-goodness E-ticket.

2. Could possibly lead to a new expansion for the Magic Kingdom by building the entire kingdom of Arandelle, just as Universal built Hogsmeade for Harry Potter.
Location? Between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland....where the Indy Grand Prix is now. In the words of Sallah..."Sorry, Indy".

3. It keeps the serious, educational tone of World Showcase intact. I've long griped about Gran Fiesta Tour dumbing down Mexico...no sense in letting the same thing happen to Norway.

I love it but I am not a big coaster fan...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom