Frozen Additions Coming to the Disneyland Resort

Californian Elitist

Hopefully they just move the Mills. Didn't they move things to a new spot when they added Agrabah?

It appears that the mills won't be moving to another location along the attraction. Shawn Slater from Disney Parks Blog stated they are being preserved for "the future", whatever that means. That kind of upsets me.

Shall we guess what the order of the castle, the ice palace, and the trading post will go in? I'm guessing we'll either see the castle first, then the palace, then the trading post. If not that order, then the palace, the castle, then the trading post.

TP2000

Original Poster
Hopefully they just move the Mills. Didn't they move things to a new spot when they added Agrabah?

They booted Toad Hall from its grand perch at the intersection of the canals, and plopped him alongside the eastbound canal rather ungloriously in 1995.

If they had tried that sort of thing today, the Internet would have exploded. But when they did it in 1995, there was no real civilian Internet and only a handful of Annual Passholders, so it was just considered a regular plussing up of the attraction.

From 1956 to 1995, Toad Hall and Mole's cabin was located here. This photo is dated 1958.
58-Toads-Moleys.jpg

Here's a picture from 1956 from a different angle when Toad Hall was brand new. This photo is notable because it captures the short timeframe when Walt Disney had hosts driving the boats and this poor guy is trying to be as butch as possible as he delivers his spiel perched on the back of the boat like a young gorilla, while he schemes up a transfer to the Jungle Cruise or the Canoes. Storybook Land Canal Boats became operated by hostesses only in 1957, and even in the 21st century is predominantly operated by women. Call me a man-hater if you must, but the spiel still sounds best and is most convincing when delivered by a woman.
Storybookland57.jpg

In 1995 Toad Hall and Mole's cabin was moved to its current location here, so Agrabah could move in.
Toad_Hall_in_Storybook_Land_by_Captain_Halfbeard.jpg

Agrabah was placed at the canal intersection in 1995, and that was the last major change to Storybook Land Canal Boats until Arendelle arrives in late 2014.
106.jpg

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Agree.
I learned something...as i did not realize it had been moved.
Looking at it's original location, it looks better. I also like the color grey-tone color scheme i am seeing for Toad Hall back then, too.

TP2000

Original Poster
Micechat put up this Editor's Note on Wednesday morning. Hmm....

Editor’s Note: December 17, 2014: Frozen Fun Delays – DCA's Frozen Fun offerings are in a mad rush to be completed by the 20th. The weather isn't helping, but the construction timetable was already too tight for a realistic Saturday opening, much less the planned soft openings on the 19th. The full debut of Frozen Fun may be delayed, but that's due to the very thorough (and expensive) work that has gone in to the Frozen Fun venues in DCA. When it does open entirely, DCA's Frozen offerings will noticeably outdo the WDW offerings from this past summer.

So, whaddya think may open on Saturday the 20th? And whaddya think may not make it? :confused:

TP2000

Original Poster
As long as Matterhorn bobsleds doesn't get the same ending as maelstrom is going to get

Yes, but the Matterhorn is a Swiss mountain. (It's kind of famous over there.) Arendelle is in Norway, about 1,000 miles due north of Switzerland.

Arendelle is being permanently added to Fantasyland elsewhere in the land, with a new show scene being added to Storybook Land Canal Boats.

TP2000

Original Poster
More news from Miceage on the delays! This is up on the front page of Micechat this morning...

Editor’s Note: December 18, 2014: We have more info on the Frozen Fun delays in DCA – All previews on the 18th and 19th appear to have now been cancelled. Freeze The Night and the Animation meet n' greet will try to open on the 20th. The stage show in MuppetVision and Olaf's Snow Fest won't open until at least the 23rd. Olaf's will operate in limited capacity until January as the Merchandise and Foods teams setting up shop in Stage 17 are the most behind schedule. Storybook Land should re-open on schedule.

A bunch of bloggers are going to be bummed out when things aren't open on Saturday.

orlando678-

I get that but Disney can easily re-theme the mountain to the Northern Mountain with Elsa's ice palace on top. Arendelle is when you look at reality in Norway but Frozen takes place in Arendelle, not completely in Norway.

TP2000

Original Poster
I get that but Disney can easily re-theme the mountain to the Northern Mountain with Elsa's ice palace on top.

Re-themeing the iconic Matterhorn Mountain from a Swiss mountain to a generic "ice mountain" would not be easy by any stretch, and it would be socially sacrilegious to many within WDI, TDA and the Disneyland fan community in the western United States. Perhaps you don't understand the love Disneyland fans have for Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom, but a move like that would cause civil unrest on Harbor Blvd.

The good news is that it's not happening, it's never been considered to happen, and Arendelle will take up its rightful and appropriate place in Fantasyland with a lovely new show scene in Storybook Land Canal Boats.

And according to Miceage, the Storybook Land addition is about the only Frozen offering that will open on schedule on Saturday. :)

GiveMeTheMusic

Re-themeing the iconic Matterhorn Mountain from a Swiss mountain to a generic "ice mountain" would not be easy by any stretch, and it would be socially sacrilegious to many within WDI, TDA and the Disneyland fan community in the western United States. Perhaps you don't understand the love Disneyland fans have for Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom, but a move like that would cause civil unrest on Harbor Blvd.

The good news is that it's not happening, it's never been considered to happen, and Arendelle will take up its rightful and appropriate place in Fantasyland with a lovely new show scene in Storybook Land Canal Boats.

And according to Miceage, the Storybook Land addition is about the only Frozen offering that will open on schedule on Saturday. :)

Depressingly enough, a Frozen overlay on the Matterhorn has already been proposed. Luckily it did not gain traction, and from what I understand, TDA is interested in a permanent and new Frozen attraction in Fantasyland (likely on the Motor Boat plot once slated for Pooh).

Mike S

Depressingly enough, a Frozen overlay on the Matterhorn has already been proposed. Luckily it did not gain traction, and from what I understand, TDA is interested in a permanent and new Frozen attraction in Fantasyland (likely on the Motor Boat plot once slated for Pooh).
If Disneyland gets a clone of the ride rumored for Tokyo I'll be even more angry about the decision in WDW than I already am.

orlando678-

If Frozen would have got a new area in Fantasyland then I would have been super happy but with Maelstrom I just have mixed feelings. I just keep thinking that the ride needed a refurb with new Norwegian things like a journey to the kingdom of the gods but of course I like a Frozen ride as well, but the location just makes me miss maelstrom so bad

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom