Frontier Airlines Personal Item

Timsierramist

Original Poster
I am flying a lot more than I have in years (and they are getting my business because I'm "commuting" to my second home at Walt Disney World a lot more). But I'm still learning about the new airline games we all have to play now which have really changed over the past 5-10 years.

Last time I did my extended weekend trip to WDW, I brought a large checked bag I really did not need. This time I'm going with what Frontier calls the "personal item" sized bag, which is in smaller text at the bottom of their baggage policy page of course.

My question to those who fly frontier a lot, do you think my bag (pictured below) will meet those dimensions? The size advertised sure fits at 18H x 12.5W x 6.5 D, and the bag technically fits (adds up) to those dimensions when you lay it on it's side) but I don't know how strict the agents will be if it is on the line, too bulky or simply doesn't count because it's supposed to be wheeled upright.

Any Frontier vets that can sound off? Much appreciated!

Off to the World in 5 days!

mouse_luv

No. That's going to be one they consider a carry on or one you would check with them. A personal item to them in this case is the size of a briefcase or a purse.

Timsierramist

Original Poster
No. That's going to be one they consider a carry on or one you would check with them. A personal item to them in this case is the size of a briefcase or a purse.

Rats. I thought I was going to be slick. Just for giggles, I think I'll drop by LAX today and try to cram it in the box. Worst case, I'll return the bag and get something that does meet the standards.

mouse_luv

Rats. I thought I was going to be slick. Just for giggles, I think I'll drop by LAX today and try to cram it in the box. Worst case, I'll return the bag and get something that does meet the standards.

LOL I know what you mean, it does stink. Depending on what part of the plane you are sitting in (front seats have more leg room etc and you may be able to shove a gym bag under there). Otherwise, anything bigger than a smaller gym/duffle bag they are going to make you check it or put it up above.

Best of luck, LAX is always a fun time. :hilarious:

Weather_Lady

I can't speak for Frontier, but as long as it fit the advertised dimensions for personal items (even when fully packed, including handles and wheels, etc.) and actually fit under the seat in front of me, I've never had a problem bringing my 17" rollaboard suitcase as my "personal item" on other airlines (e.g., JetBlue, United, Norwegian). In a pinch, I've even taken a 21" rolling duffle (which I underpacked, so it wasn't taking up its full length, and could easily be squished to fit completely under the seat). You might want to double-check with their customer service people on the phone, or at least ask nicely once you get to the airport. :)

Timsierramist

Original Poster
LOL I know what you mean, it does stink. Depending on what part of the plane you are sitting in (front seats have more leg room etc and you may be able to shove a gym bag under there). Otherwise, anything bigger than a smaller gym/duffle bag they are going to make you check it or put it up above.

Best of luck, LAX is always a fun time. :hilarious:
BTW, I am flying out of LAS because it's about $400 cheaper, haha. But that may actually work then, because I upgraded to "1st class", aka the front seats with the reclining chairs. To make this WDW trip work, i'm flying red eye, and getting sleep on the plane will be crucial.

I can't speak for Frontier, but as long as it fit the advertised dimensions for personal items (even when fully packed, including handles and wheels, etc.) and actually fit under the seat in front of me, I've never had a problem bringing my 17" rollaboard suitcase as my "personal item" on other airlines (e.g., JetBlue, United, Norwegian). In a pinch, I've even taken a 21" rolling duffle (which I underpacked, so it wasn't taking up its full length, and could easily be squished to fit completely under the seat). You might want to double-check with their customer service people on the phone, or at least ask nicely once you get to the airport. :)

That's what I was hoping for. I want it to fit the dimensions. I did call Frontier a few days ago, but the customer rep must have had a long day or had just woke up. No matter how many times I tried to explain, he seemed dazed and confused and I couldn't get a straight answer out of him. One point he said "no" and then a few moments later said "yes".

For the record, I'm not cheap, lol. I just hate "taxes, fees, upcharges, etc". All a scam in my book, so I'm willing to go the extra mile to avoid the charges and not reward "baad behavior".

mouse_luv

BTW, I am flying out of LAS because it's about $400 cheaper, haha. But that may actually work then, because I upgraded to "1st class", aka the front seats with the reclining chairs. To make this WDW trip work, i'm flying red eye, and getting sleep on the plane will be crucial.

That's what I was hoping for. I want it to fit the dimensions. I did call Frontier a few days ago, but the customer rep must have had a long day or had just woke up. No matter how many times I tried to explain, he seemed dazed and confused and I couldn't get a straight answer out of him. One point he said "no" and then a few moments later said "yes".

For the record, I'm not cheap, lol. I just hate "taxes, fees, upcharges, etc". All a scam in my book, so I'm willing to go the extra mile to avoid the charges and not reward "baad behavior".

We fly Frontier a lot and always invest in the front "1st class" more space seats. I don't think you're going to be able to fit a bag the size of the one you have, but you can always try. Best of luck and enjoy!! :)

Weather_Lady

I think your mantra will have to be, "follow the rules and hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst (in this case, having to gate check a bag because a flight attendant "thinks" it looks too big to fit under a seat, or because due to the vagaries of underseat storage, you get a seat with less-than-average space and your properly-sized bag just won't fit). In preparing for the latter event, be sure to place any items you'd want to keep with you during the flight (e.g., snacks, reading materials, valuables) packed together in a pouch or packing cube, so you can grab them easily in the event you have to surrender your suitcase.

Last edited:

Timsierramist

Original Poster
I chickened out and bought another "personal item" case that is within/under Frontier Airlines "Personal Item" measurements. It still feels kinda big considering it's stuffed to the max with clothes, but I'll let you know how it goes. For the record, I bought this bag. Even though it said $31.99, it was on sale for $20.

Packing, even light, is much tougher than I thought. But was probably well worth it to save $60+. That's Be Our Guest Restaurant money!

http://www.sears.com/traveler-146-s-choice-reg-17inch-rolling-tote/p-080W007451733001P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

DarthVader

Sith Lord
These no frills airlines are used to people trying to be "slick" I suspect they would have been rather strict regarding their carry one/personal items policy.

I chickened out and bought another "personal item" case that is within/under Frontier Airlines "Personal Item" measurements.
Good idea, better to be safe then sorry.

Weather_Lady

Packing, even light, is much tougher than I thought. But was probably well worth it to save $60+. That's Be Our Guest Restaurant money!

Your bag looks terrific! Great choice.

Packing light is a pain in the rear, but honestly, it can be done, and it's very freeing -- I've packed for a week in Europe, in February, in a 17" carryon (with all of my clothes and toiletries, plus two bubble-wrapped ceramic candlesticks as gifts for my hostess)! If I may offer some suggestions -- you've probably seen them before and most of them are just plain common-sense, but just in case some of these tips might be new and helpful:

1 - Don't overlook the spaces around the handle hardware inside your suitcase. Place a couple of rolled pieces of clothing (I use my PJs and swimsuit) in the space between the handle channels. Then, use packing cubes (zippable mesh bags) or even large Ziploc bags to organize the remaining space in your luggage. If it gets searched at the airport, putting it back in order will be much simpler. Packing cubes also make unpacking a breeze -- just unzip the cubes and place them in a dresser drawer.

2 - Choose a wardrobe in mix-and-match neutrals, and roll your clothing instead of folding it. For a bag like yours, I'd pack enough clothes for half of your trip, and bring a sample-size container (or a single-use pod) of laundry detergent and a dryer sheet, so you can pop in a load of laundry mid-week. (You can use the dry-cleaning bag in your room as a makeshift laundry bag for going back and forth, if you wish.) Every Disney resort has laundry facilities, generally near the pools, and I can testify that doing a quick load of laundry doesn't seem like a burden when you're spending most of that time lounging in the sun (or in the water). For a week in Florida with laundry in the middle (and not counting what I wear on the plane), I pack just 4 tops, 3 pairs of shorts, 1 night shirt, 1 swimsuit, underthings, a pair of hiking sandals and my flat toiletry case.

3 - Wear all of your bulkiest clothing and footwear (pants, jacket or sweater, sneakers, hat) on the plane. Confine yourself to one layering piece (sweater, hoodie, fleece) that matches all of your outfits, and if weather demands long pants, wear/bring only one pair. If you must take a second pair of shoes/sandals and can't (or shouldn't) be flattened, stuff them with socks or other small items before placing them in your suitcase.

4 - Don't bring any items that the hotel will supply (e.g., hairdryer, soap, shampoo, alarm clock). For those toiletries and sundries that you do bring, decant, decant, decant, and remove any packaging that is taking up space unnecessarily (e.g., instead of bringing a boxed First Aid kit, bring a snack-sized Ziploc baggie with Band-aids and Tylenol blister packs.) I use a tiny pill box for prescription meds (rather than bringing the entire bottle), I use a contact lens case to decant moisturizer and foundation, and I re-use sample-size bottles for things like body wash and sunscreen. Also, skip the ubiquitous rectangular dopp kit and opt for a toiletry case that folds flat. I love the eBags Pack-it-Flat toiletry kit, but a gallon-sized Ziploc bag or any kind of flat pouch (e.g., a zippered pencil case) would work just as well. For liquids and gels, don't forget to put them in a 3-1-1 bag, and place it in an outside pocket or at the very top of your bag, for easy access.

Last edited:

Timsierramist

Original Poster
Your bag looks terrific! Great choice.

Packing light is a pain in the rear, but honestly, it can be done -- I've packed for a week in Europe, in February, in a 17" carryon (with all of my clothes and toiletries, plus two bubble-wrapped ceramic candlesticks as gifts for my hostess)! If I may offer some suggestions -- you've probably seen them before and most of them are just plain common-sense, but just in case you haven't seen them all:

1 - Don't overlook the spaces around the handle hardware inside your suitcase. Place a couple of rolled pieces of clothing (I use my PJs and swimsuit) in the space between the handle channels. Then, use packing cubes (zippable mesh bags) or even large Ziploc bags to organize the remaining space in your luggage. If it gets searched at the airport, putting it back in order will be much simpler. Packing cubes also make unpacking a breeze -- just unzip the cubes and place them in a dresser drawer.

2 - Choose a wardrobe in mix-and-match neutrals, and roll your clothing instead of folding it. For a bag like yours, I'd pack enough clothes for half of your trip, and bring a sample-size container (or a single-use pod) of laundry detergent and a dryer sheet, so you can pop in a load of laundry mid-week. (You can use the dry-cleaning bag in your room as a makeshift laundry bag for going back and forth, if you wish.) Every Disney resort has laundry facilities, generally near the pools, and I can testify that doing a quick load of laundry doesn't seem like a burden when you're spending most of that time lounging in the sun (or in the water). For a week in Florida with laundry in the middle (and not counting what I wear on the plane), I pack just 4 tops, 3 pairs of shorts, 1 night shirt, 1 swimsuit, underthings, a pair of hiking sandals and my flat toiletry case.

3 - Wear all of your bulkiest clothing and footwear on the plane. Confine yourself to one layering piece (sweater, hoodie, fleece) that matches all of your outfits, and if weather demands long pants, wear/bring only one pair. If you must take a second pair of shoes/sandals, stuff them with socks or other small items before placing them in your suitcase.

4 - Don't bring any items that the hotel will supply (e.g., hairdryer, soap, shampoo). For those toiletries and sundries that you do bring, decant, decant, decant, and remove any packaging that is taking up space unnecessarily (e.g., instead of bringing a boxed First Aid kit, bring a snack-sized Ziploc baggie with Band-aids and Tylenol blister packs.) I use a tiny pill box for prescription meds (rather than bringing the entire bottle), I use a contact lens case for moisturizers, and I re-use sample-size bottles for things like body wash and sunscreen. Also, skip the ubiquitous rectangular dopp kit and opt for a toiletry case that folds flat. I love the eBags Pack-it-Flat toiletry kit, but a gallon-sized Ziploc bag or any kind of flat pouch would work just as well. For liquids and gels, don't forget to put them in a 3-1-1 bag, and place it in an outside pocket or at the very top of your bag, for easy access.

Considering I'm used to checking large luggage and bags at the airport desk, I found these trips to be excellent. I didn't even know what a packing cube was until 2 minutes ago! I'm not planning on even bringing an umbrella or jacket this trip since the weather is supposed to be great. Worst case scenario, i'll buy a poncho.

Thanks for sharing! I'm on the way out the door right now to the airport (a 2-300 miles out of the way, but also $2-300 cheaper), but I'm certainly going to buy some of those when I get back.

Emily Moschel

We just got back from our trip today and only took a "personal item" for 4 days, we were also worried about our bags and sizes, however when we got there they fit--so no worries there. We noticed that nobody even asked us or questioned us about any bags, and we could of easily gotten a larger bag onto the plane. I thought they would at least have us prove to them it would fit into their designated bag size check at the gate, but nope.

You probably could of gotten away with it! But better safe than sorry.

mouse_luv

We just got back from our trip today and only took a "personal item" for 4 days, we were also worried about our bags and sizes, however when we got there they fit--so no worries there. We noticed that nobody even asked us or questioned us about any bags, and we could of easily gotten a larger bag onto the plane. I thought they would at least have us prove to them it would fit into their designated bag size check at the gate, but nope.

You probably could of gotten away with it! But better safe than sorry.

The designated bag check thing is for the overhead bins. He was asking about under the seat.

cdeev8690

If the flight attendants believe your bag is too large or if they run out of room in the overhead bins, they'll check your bag for free at the gate! Just food for thought

mouse_luv

They also have a bin to place your bag in to see if it fits the included (under the seat) bag allowed...........
That's interesting because in all of the times we've flown with Frontier, they never have. I was shocked at how little room there was under the seat for a simple cross body purse to fit. o_O

Emily Moschel

That's interesting because in all of the times we've flown with Frontier, they never have. I was shocked at how little room there was under the seat for a simple cross body purse to fit. o_O

Maybe its new, but before our trip I was able to see pictures of the boxes as well, so not sure how long they have been around.
We just got back yesterday from our trip with both Frontier and Spirit, and they both had the boxes. I had about 5 days of clothes packed, along with sandals and a hair straightener and was able to fit it under the seat with no issue whatsoever.

mouse_luv

Maybe its new, but before our trip I was able to see pictures of the boxes as well, so not sure how long they have been around.
We just got back yesterday from our trip with both Frontier and Spirit, and they both had the boxes. I had about 5 days of clothes packed, along with sandals and a hair straightener and was able to fit it under the seat with no issue whatsoever.

Interesting!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom