From UK To Florida..

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Ok I'am open to answers from both sides of the pond..Mrs Hatter would follow me anywhere.In the past,many years ago we considered buying property and moving to the Island of Crete,but they were too many obstacles..After watching a TV show about Brits moving aboard,I was wondering what obstacles are in our way..It would be a big step but we are beginning to think serious about it..Here's our background..Iam a retired telephone engineer. ( 35 years ) Mrs Hatter is a cook in a primary school..My son has 2 years of high school left and wants to go into computers. I would love to work anywhere in WDW..Now we own our own 3 bedroom villa with a estate agent value of £210.000 ( $340.000 ) My Works pension is £1100 per month ( $1650 ) Ive looked at villas in Kissimmee and they look awesome..Any advice on what obstacles are in my way..?:inlove:

jkl2000

Forget it..What hassles lie in front of this idea..USA have no such thing as a retirement visa..Ah well!....Nice idea while it lasted..:(

Did you ever think of doing one of those home swap things? I know there are some web sites for it and supposedly they work very well - I think it can be for a couple of weeks, or more or less. They're used by university professors, etc. a lot apparently. I think sabbaticalhomes.com is the one I've looked at. From what I've read it usually goes smoother than you might guess.

Just thought this might be something you'd want to look into.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Did you ever think of doing one of those home swap things? I know there are some web sites for it and supposedly they work very well - I think it can be for a couple of weeks, or more or less. They're used by university professors, etc. a lot apparently. I think sabbaticalhomes.com is the one I've looked at. From what I've read it usually goes smoother than you might guess.

Just thought this might be something you'd want to look into.
Cheers for that.;)Ill give it a look.

Sans Souci

@real mad hatter, does your SIL in California have a green card, or is she a naturalized US citizen? If she is a citizen, she can petition for your family to become citizens. My husband became a US citizen last year and they stressed this benefit during the swearing in ceremony.

However, I don't know how long it would take. I have heard 10 years, but it's something to look at if you are truly interested. My husband is a dual US/UK citizen now.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
@real mad hatter, does your SIL in California have a green card, or is she a naturalized US citizen? If she is a citizen, she can petition for your family to become citizens. My husband became a US citizen last year and they stressed this benefit during the swearing in ceremony.

However, I don't know how long it would take. I have heard 10 years, but it's something to look at if you are truly interested. My husband is a dual US/UK citizen now.
Cheers.Yes she is a naturalised US citizen..Will make enquiries when she phones on Saturday..Although 10 years is not on my side..Maybe I left this dream too late..:(

Sans Souci

Cheers.Yes she is a naturalised US citizen..Will make enquiries when she phones on Saturday..Although 10 years is not on my side..Maybe I left this dream too late..:(

I talked to my husband and he said she can petition for your family, but family members, such as parents would receive priority over siblings for citizenship. I think you would get green cards in the meantime. We were looking into this for MIL to come live with us and convert our basement into an apartment for her, but that discussion has stopped and I am not pursuing it. But if it something you are definitely interested, check it out.

This is all what my husband told me (and he told me that the wait was not 10 yrs). Maybe someone has better info than I do and can chime in. But good luck. :)

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I talked to my husband and he said she can petition for your family, but family members, such as parents would receive priority over siblings for citizenship. I think you would get green cards in the meantime. We were looking into this for MIL to come live with us and convert our basement into an apartment for her, but that discussion has stopped and I am not pursuing it. But if it something you are definitely interested, check it out.

This is all what my husband told me (and he told me that the wait was not 10 yrs). Maybe someone has better info than I do and can chime in. But good luck. :)
Thanks again..Maybe the dream is still alive..;)

jkl2000

You know what would be really nice? If somehow air travel would become less expensive again! Then we could all go to Disney more often. Man, when I was in college I used to fly home for holidays - it was only about a one-hour flight but it was the cheapest way to get home. I took PeopleExpress (remember that airline? - sounds like a Disney ride!) - it cost $25 one way and you could pay cash on the plane! And Tower Air - they had $100 one-way flights from NY to London!

I really long for those days because we'd be taking WAY more vacations than we do if the airfare was like that again. I often think the travel industry is shooting itself in the foot because if airfare was more reasonable I would travel way more. I think the whole travel industry should somehow share the cost of the fuel or something.

Sorry, sort of off topic, I just would like for you to be able to get to WDW more easily. Anyway, one can wish...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom