Friend of mine wants to move to Orlando...

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
...and wants to move to a location that's near WDW. No more than half an hour's drive. He's planning on renting an apartment, and would like to live where it's safe. He asked me, but I have no idea - to me, Florida's a great place to visit, but I've never considered living there (for various, work-related, non-judgmental reasons).

So does anyone here have any suggestions for my friend? Thanks!

litaljohn

well first off, before saying no off the bat, what does he do now and where does he live. if he lives in siberia.... tough call, I mean I'd personally make the move, but you need new wardrobe cash first.
now, secondly does he live anywhere remotely close to Bon Jovi, if the answer is anything beyond no, this is a poor move decision and his current location is ideal. finally, is this friend in a relationship, if they are then you shoul probably let them this dream, this...."prayer" is a good thing and that is sorta like being "halfway there" and even if they don't then they still "got each other..... and that's a lot for love."

Darth Tater

Don't do it- if his only reason is for wanting to be near Disney. Does he work? Where does he plan on working when he's down here?
^This.
It seems like everyone & their brother has this ideal dream to pack up, move close to the Mouse, and all will be well in life. Many flock down there unprepared, expecting a utopian plethora of affordable domiciles and job openings awaiting with open arms. When the truth is, the exceedingly growing population influx is stretching the weak job market thin, and the cost of living is no match for the low wages offered. Just ask one of the many well-educated, experienced, eager families living outta their vehicle less than minutes from Disney grounds. Yes, this is happening. No, tourists do not always see the real Central Fla when visiting the magical theme parks. It's become an inside joke amongst locals about how people vacation to the parks, have a great time, and want to move down there assuming numerous jobs & affordable living spaces are lined up with their names written on them. Though I cannot blame them, because as a vacationer to the area, it does please the senses and make the area seem more rose-colored than reality. Just do a lot of research before making such a decision. The CityData is a great website for local input.

This video says it all.

Bloopers

^This.
It seems like everyone & their brother has this ideal dream to pack up, move close to the Mouse, and all will be well in life. Many flock down there unprepared, expecting a utopian plethora of affordable domiciles and job openings awaiting with open arms. When the truth is, the exceedingly growing population influx is stretching the weak job market thin, and the cost of living is no match for the low wages offered. Just ask one of the many well-educated, experienced, eager families living outta their vehicle less than minutes from Disney grounds. Yes, this is happening. No, tourists do not always see the real Central Fla when visiting the magical theme parks. It's become an inside joke amongst locals about how people vacation to the parks, have a great time, and want to move down there assuming numerous jobs & affordable living spaces are lined up with their names written on them. Though I cannot blame them, because as a vacationer to the area, it does please the senses and make the area seem more rose-colored than reality. Just do a lot of research before making such a decision. The CityData is a great website for local input.

This video says it all.

LOL, the guy in that video has the exact mindset of people who wants to move down here. It's sunny, Disney is not far, no crimes, low cost of living, etc... Sorely mistaken... :eek:

I mean yeah, Orlando is fun and all, just know what you're getting yourself into before making the move. $8 an hr won't suffice. Unless you're working like 60+ hours a week, you're going to be eating ramen everyday, no matter where you live. Actually, even at 60+ hours, you'll probably be living from paycheck to paycheck when you include things such as rent, utilities, electricity, car, phone, insurance bills etc... forget maintaining a family on that wage. There's an influx of min. wage jobs around here that nobody really wants, 'cept broke students and people with degrees who can't find a suitable job so they have to settle for ANY job. And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the average pay of regular jobs (teaching, nurse, engineer, etc...) around here considerably lower than other states/national average as well?

Poofiesdream

There are a lot of nice places to live near Disney. Lakeland and Davenport, but like any place else there are good area's of town and not so good area's. I would contact a real estate agent in the area. the cost of living in that area is low for the state of FL.

bethymouse

My father-in-law lives near Silver Springs close to Ocala. I have a friend who lives in the Villages about an hour outside Orlando.

71jason

No point finding a place to live until he knows where he will be working. Orlando is a sprawling suburbia. It's possible to be within 30 minutes of Disney and still 90 minutes from a job "in the Orlando area."

And I echo the point that moving to Florida to be near Disney is about the worst reason to relocate.

Those warnings aside, in terms of the areas around WDW: any of the places on Westwood Blvd., near Sea World, are alright, tho some are better than others. Celebration is still very safe, but there you're looking at renting a condo or a mother-in-law apartment rather than a traditional apartment complex. Windermere seems quite safe.

Under no circumstances rent a place on Orange Blossom Trail. MetroWest is also very sketchy (wasn't 15 years ago, but those are the breaks). Surprisingly the complexes up near Millenia are questionable as well.

Nemo14

Does your friend have a job there already? If not, then I would strongly advise him not to move down there assuming some fantastic job will just magically come his way. It's nice to dream about such things, but you have to live realistically.

Blufusion

For me Im wanted to live in Orlando as well. I'm glad aI didn't. I saw Disney World in 1982 and was at a restaurant and told the person what kind of job I did. I was 19 and just starting my 25 yr. career in TV. She told me then don't move here. Disney is a great place to visit and even though I have lived in Saint Petersburg Florida for 8 yrs. now. I hate it here.In the yrs. between 1982 and 1997 I went to Disney World for vacation and never ever saw the real Florida… Don't come here because of the Magic of Disney . Wages are all low and it a bad place for crime just like any other place in America it has it's bad with the good. But don't come her without lots of money and a great job in your field lined up. I have been to WDW 2 times in 8 yrs. and it's just not special like it was when I went in the early yrs. Its like when I went to Hawaii last yr. It was great for 8 days. But people that live there are just like in Florida. They are low wage jobs and no way to get off the islands without a plane ticket to anywhere. Don't be sucked in by what Disney does to you. Enjoy the time and remember them and do it again. But if you want happiness stay where you are and not a quick fix of Mickey Evil magic.

I have been a Florida resident for my entire life, and I have NO intention of moving away from my home state.I live in center state, and honestly, it is GREAT to have all the theme parks, beaches on both coasts,and there's honestly so much to do,all within 45 minutes (TOPS!) Just think, people come HERE to vacation, so in saying that living here sucks is...just I don't see how someone could say that. Sure, we have old people that drive like crazy wombats, but every state has something. Saying that Orlando is sketchy, unsafe, and unaffordable is a bit unfair, in my opinion- you have places like that in ALL large urban cities. I wouldn't figure it's any different here.

As far as safe places around Disney, Celebration is the classiest, and safest-right on Disney's property, just about. The people above are correct though, Disney pays minimum wage for the most part. It would be wise to re-evaluate your decision to move, and make sure that you want to come to Florida for more than just Disney. We have so much more to offer than that.

Blufusion

I believe that Celebration has it 1st murder in the last year or so. It happens and can happen anywhere. It's just not safe anywhere.I agree it's fun to live in Florida. But if you think it's gonna be WDW everyday. It's not there are a lot of things that need to be taken care of and the goverment is not in tune with what people need and care about. Take your time and decide. And there are places in many ciries of America that you should not be in. But I look at the newspaper everday in Orlando. And they do seem to have more share of their crime. Especially being it is a transit city. With all the visitors they have. As with anywhere you go be careful and learn about what happens and what areas to be wary of.

Blufusion

No point finding a place to live until he knows where he will be working. Orlando is a sprawling suburbia. It's possible to be within 30 minutes of Disney and still 90 minutes from a job "in the Orlando area."

And I echo the point that moving to Florida to be near Disney is about the worst reason to relocate.

Those warnings aside, in terms of the areas around WDW: any of the places on Westwood Blvd., near Sea World, are alright, tho some are better than others. Celebration is still very safe, but there you're looking at renting a condo or a mother-in-law apartment rather than a traditional apartment complex. Windermere seems quite safe.

Under no circumstances rent a place on Orange Blossom Trail. MetroWest is also very sketchy (wasn't 15 years ago, but those are the breaks). Surprisingly the complexes up near Millenia are questionable as well.
Yes Windermere was safe till Tiger Woods moved in. hehe

Blufusion

Yes Windermere was safe till Tiger Woods moved in. hehe

draybook

We might be moving to the Tampa area, and the Mouse has something to do with it. However, I'd be transferring with my current employer, Cardinal Health. My wife will be finishing cosmetology school this year so she'll be looking for something in that field. We plan on playing the foreclosure market, which can fetch some pretty nice homes down there. I think we were looking at places in the Temple Terrace area.

Blufusion

If your coming to the Tampa Area . Check out Saint Petersburg Florida. It a great place to live . It has it's problems but It not as bad as Tampa and if it's only 20 mins to Tampa ojn a good Day and just 90 mins from Disney. Good Luck.

draybook

Yeah, as long as it's a quick commute to my work. Right now I'm pretty blessed, as it takes all of 7 minutes to get to work. There's 4 stop signs and 3 lights. It sounds farther than it is, as the lights are within 200 yards of each other. I think I once checked the odometer and it was about 3 miles each way (through a subdivision).

PolynesianPrincess

We might be moving to the Tampa area, and the Mouse has something to do with it. However, I'd be transferring with my current employer, Cardinal Health. My wife will be finishing cosmetology school this year so she'll be looking for something in that field. We plan on playing the foreclosure market, which can fetch some pretty nice homes down there. I think we were looking at places in the Temple Terrace area.

We deal with Cardinal Health every single day! I work for a home health care agency and we get all of our formula from ya'll! :)

I too am looking into moving to Florida within the next year. Not Orlando, but either Tampa or Jacksonville. I love hot weather and sunshine. Up where I am now (Maine) we have about 5 months of "good" weather a year. I don't like snow and we get TONS of it. I have already started saving for the move (truck rental, gas to get down, first months rent, deposit, etc..) and am planning a trip down there for job interviews in August. While I would love to just up and go, I understand that is not feasible.

Figments Friend

I lived in FL for a little more then three years in the early 1980s.
Grew up on the coast of MA, so the move was quite a change on many levels.
I was 10 and moved with my Mom down to Seffner in a then-new housing development which was about 30 minutes away from WDW.

I remember the adjustment period i had to endure to try to fit in and assimilate to climate, both weather wise and local neighbor wise.
I went through a lot of bias at school with the locals ( you know how kids can be...) and the change in the weather patterns was hard to adapt to for someone used to the cooler Northeastern temps. The Southern heat and humidity would knock me flat...nosebleeds every few days for the first two weeks of residence. Yeah..it was fun for a 10 year old.

I returned to MA in the mid 80s and stayed, living with my Dad.
I liked FL, exspecially getting to visit WDW and Sea World often...but it was not enough to keep me there.
I missed the changing weather to go with the seasons, among other things. I WANT snow in the winter time....i WANT to see autumn foliage colors...call me a nut, but it was missed.

If i was older at that time when i made the move, i probably would have assimilated better.
Now when i visit FL on a regular basis, i enjoy it ...but as a place to visit, not live. I know full well the areas just outside the Magical Border and it can be a shady place.
I remember the time my Mom and i visited WDW one weekend in 1983 and decided to stay at a hotel on I-Drive to avoid the ride home late at night post-Park close.
I-Drive was QUITE shady back then...but we were clueless yokels! We woke up the next morning to discover someone had stolen the hubcaps off of my Mom*s car!

I still love to visit FL and do it often, and definately enjoy spending time down there on my own.
Still not a place i would want to live year round though.
California is more my style !
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom