Freeform Airs Harry Potter Series...Why?

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Curious...why does Freeform (Disney) air the Harry Potter series (Uni)? This just dawned on me after this recent Harry Potter weekend. If Freeform is an ABC/Disney network, why does it repetitively air a major movie series that happens to be from the library of a direct competitor?
I'm assuming the answer is along the lines of it makes them money. But I find it interesting still...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Curious...why does Freeform (Disney) air the Harry Potter series (Uni)? This just dawned on me after this recent Harry Potter weekend. If Freeform is an ABC/Disney network, why does it repetitively air a major movie series that happens to be from the library of a direct competitor?
I'm assuming the answer is along the lines of it makes them money. But I find it interesting still...
Different branches of the same company. It's all about money. If airing HP movies makes money for Freeform then that is a good thing for that branch of the company. It does not affect the bottom line of the Parks division directly. Perhaps indirectly, but they aren't concerned with that.

Californian Elitist

Harry Potter is a Warner Bros. product.

Film and television production companies are never in that much competition with each other to the point where they won't help each other out, in a sense. Fox and other stations air ABC and CBS shows all the time.

Universal loans their backlot to Disney all the time. Money is money.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Different branches of the same company. It's all about money. If airing HP movies makes money for Freeform then that is a good thing for that branch of the company. It does not affect the bottom line of the Parks division directly. Perhaps indirectly, but they aren't concerned with that.

Film and television production companies are never in that much competition with each other to the point where they won't help each other out, in a sense. Fox and other stations air ABC and CBS shows all the time.

Ahh ok, I see. Thanks for answering.
My thinking was what if people watch and say, "Hey, I love HP now and I need to get to Uni see it" and end up having a 2-3 day money fest at Universal, which competes with its neighbor Disney.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Very true. It's amazing when how many Disney movies are filmed at "other" film studios besides Disney's own. IMdB is a good source to find out where films are actually shot.

lazyboy97o

Ahh ok, I see. Thanks for answering.
My thinking was what if people watch and say, "Hey, I love HP now and I need to get to Uni see it" and end up having a 2-3 day money fest at Universal, which competes with its neighbor Disney.
Freeform doesn't care if people spend money at Universal Orlando Resort instead of Walt Disney World. It is in a completely separate business unit and has nothing to do with any of the theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom