Free parking at the MK monorail resorts...

horizons82

Original Poster
I've been to WDW oodles of times, but this will be a first on-property stay and we're doing a couple of nights at the CR. I was under the impression that parking was free at WDW for hotel guests

However, if parking is included in the cost of the hotel stay, how does one 'skip' paying at the toll plaza to get to those hotels since they are within the paid-parking area?

Will the toll plaza simply wave you through? Is there a special lane at the hotel plaza for hotel guests? Or is there I sign directing hotel traffic to a different road altogether that I've never really noticed as I've not needed it before? Or, is your fee to park the day you arrive not covered?

Just curious about this...

asialeigh

If you have a resort parking pass in your car, you will be waved thru and continue on the right hand lane that will lead you to the Magic Kingdom resorts. To be honest even if you aren't a resort guest and you just inform the CM that you are having dinner or whatever at an Magic Kingdom resort they will still wave you thru and direct you to the right lane of traffic. If you are concerned or have questions about where to go, stop and roll down your window to talk to a CM at the Toll Plaza. If you by some reason end up having to pay or accidentally pay without knowing you didn't have to just go to your resort front desk and they can reimburse the parking fee.

You will likely be questioned by security at the entrance of whatever resort you are visiting asking why you are coming to the resort. If it is for dinner reservations or something of the sort they will direct you to the appropriate parking area.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've been to WDW oodles of times, but this will be a first on-property stay and we're doing a couple of nights at the CR. I was under the impression that parking was free at WDW for hotel guests

However, if parking is included in the cost of the hotel stay, how does one 'skip' paying at the toll plaza to get to those hotels since they are within the paid-parking area?

Will the toll plaza simply wave you through? Is there a special lane at the hotel plaza for hotel guests? Or is there I sign directing hotel traffic to a different road altogether that I've never really noticed as I've not needed it before? Or, is your fee to park the day you arrive not covered?

Just curious about this...

The hotel parking lots are intended for people staying/visiting that hotel. They are not intended to be parking lots for all resort guests.

By being an on property hotel guest, you will get a parking pass to put in your dashboard. When you enter a theme park's parking lot.. they will wave you through without paying.

horizons82

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers...

I guess I should clarify that what I was asking about was getting through the toll plaza on my arrival day before I actually check-in to the hotel.

I know once I check-in I should get a parking pass, but what I was wondering about was about how parking was handled on check-in day when I arrive at the toll plaza before I even check-in at the hotel to get my parking pass. Do I need to bring a confirmation paper or something?

asialeigh

If all you're doing is driving to one of the resorts you still talk to a CM at the Toll Plaza and tell them you are going to a Magic Kingdom resort, they will direct you to the right lane of traffic like I said. You do not need to pay for parking if you are just going to a resort. If you want to bring your confirmation paper then go ahead but you shouldn't need it. Just again when you get to said resort you will be asked why you are wanting to park at the resort and without good reason you may not be able to park there.

Also side note, you honestly no longer need a parking pass to show you are a valid resort guest. Your MagicBand can be scanned to show this.

horizons82

Original Poster
Thanks all for the responses. I probably won't use the car once I arrive and park at the hotel as I'll be 'monorailing' it the rest of my stay, but it was the initial arrival at the toll plaza, which sounds like won't be an issue at all. I'll bring a confirmation paper just in case though :)

Thanks again for the answers.

slappy magoo

Thanks all for the responses. I probably won't use the car once I arrive and park at the hotel as I'll be 'monorailing' it the rest of my stay, but it was the initial arrival at the toll plaza, which sounds like won't be an issue at all. I'll bring a confirmation paper just in case though :)

Yes. You will have no problem getting by the booths to get to Contemporary because anyone can visit any resort anyway. What's potentially hairy is when people "visit" a monorail resort to avoid paying parking fees entirely which won't be your case. Once you get to entrance to the Contemporary lot the guard will probably have your name listed as a check in on that day anyway and you'll be directed where to drive to unload your gear.

Dafid Duck

Are all the security check points equipped with Magic Band scanners now? I did have an issue once when I truly wanted to resort hop long before a dining reservation. (Christmas season - wanted to see the gingerbread tree at the Contemporary before going to Chef Mickey's.) Security seemed to assume I wanted to park for free and go to the Magic Kingdom. He waved me away and told me the lot was full.

Disnee4Me

Once when we stayed at Pop Century and drove our car over to Grand Floridian because we just wanted to see the Christmas decorations, security would not let us through. Next trip I am hoping to fly, so I would just resort hop and finally get to see all the great decorations at all the resorts.

Nemo14

Once when we stayed at Pop Century and drove our car over to Grand Floridian because we just wanted to see the Christmas decorations, security would not let us through. Next trip I am hoping to fly, so I would just resort hop and finally get to see all the great decorations at all the resorts.
probably because you could just park at the TTC and hop on the monorail to the GF. As a resort guest you wouldn't have to pay to park there.

slappy magoo

Are all the security check points equipped with Magic Band scanners now? I did have an issue once when I truly wanted to resort hop long before a dining reservation. (Christmas season - wanted to see the gingerbread tree at the Contemporary before going to Chef Mickey's.) Security seemed to assume I wanted to park for free and go to the Magic Kingdom. He waved me away and told me the lot was full.
Or, if it was Christmas season, maybe the lot really was full?

slappy magoo

It is quite likely the lot was full, but this gentleman did not believe we wanted to visit the resort so far in advance of the reservation time (there was an obvious snort of derision).
Just being Devil's Advocate - after all you were there and I wasn't - but maybe the snort wasn't one of derision, like he didn't believe you. Maybe it was a "FML" snort, a "great, I gotta tell another person to take a hike because the lot is full, hey Barry cover my shift today Lou says, it'll be dead Lou says...note to self, kick Lou in the teeth next time I see him..."

But yeah, he probably figured going to the lot so far ahead of a reservation, you were looking for some parking for the MK first.

Last edited:

Polydweller

For your first arrival, stay to the far right at the tool booths and simply tell them at the toll booth that you are checking in. Then when you get to the guard shack at the Contemporary have your reservation confirmation and photo ID ready. They will require the ID. They will then give you a preprinted parking pass with your name and departure date on it that is good for your length of stay and you are good to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom