Free dinning plan?

ggsport98

Original Poster
Does anyone know or think Disney will do a free dinning plan in 2018? If so, when?

My other question is, if there was free dinning could my family still get it even though we are renting points from a DVC memeber?

Ciara

Does anyone know or think Disney will do a free dinning plan in 2018? If so, when?

My other question is, if there was free dinning could my family still get it even though we are renting points from a DVC memeber?

For u.s. residents "Free" dining is usually offered late August-early Nov, the promotion comes out around mid April. They sometimes do other forms of free dining in the Spring/Summer but its usually one meal a day. Hard to say whether either will be offered again this year, id say most likely but i am no expert.

I'm not familiar with renting points so i'm not sure but free dining is only offered for packages. You must have room, at least 2 day ticket with park hopper and then you "qualify" for free dining

Weather_Lady

Well, they might do a free dining plan. Now, a free dinning plan? I'm just not sure . . .

(geez, that was snotty of me! ;))

Maybe, but I thought the same thing. Since "dinning" is the "making of a prolonged and unpleasant noise," perhaps this is all just a roundabout way of referring to meals at Chef Mickey's...

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

OP, I'm afraid the answer is no -- if you are renting DVC points you will not be eligible for any special offers, including free dining, room discounts or package discounts. (We stayed at WDW one time on rented points and couldn't get free dining, which was offered on our dates, as a result -- however, in our case, the savings on the room was more than our dining was going to cost out-of-pocket, anyway, so renting DVC was a better deal. Your mileage may vary.)

As far as when it's historically offered, you can find that information here (in general over the past few years, free dining is offered for select arrival dates in the fall, and the offer is released sometime in April): https://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/

Be aware, though, that free dining is never really "free": there will be blackout dates, blacked-out resorts, minimum length-of-stay requirements (e.g., 6 nights or longer), minimum room category requirements (e.g., preferred rooms, or rooms with certain upgraded views) and even ticket requirements (e.g., length-of-stay parkhopper). By the time you've made the upgrades necessary to be eligible, you may find that you're not saving much. You have to examine it on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited:

Minnie Mum

As previously noted, historically, Free DINING has been offered during late summer through fall. Offers for UK residents are different. And you would need a vacation package (room, tickets, dining package) booked with Disney. A DVC rented from an owner would not qualify.

danyoung56

MSince "dinning" is the "making of a prolonged and unpleasant noise," perhaps this is all just a roundabout way of referring to meals at Chef Mickey's...

Dining is one of those words that gets misspelled a lot, and every once in a while I need to get catty and point that out.

Dave B

OP, I'm afraid the answer is no -- if you are renting DVC points you will not be eligible for any special offers, including free dining, room discounts or package discounts. (We stayed at WDW one time on rented points and couldn't get free dining, which was offered on our dates, as a result -- however, in our case, the savings on the room was more than our dining was going to cost out-of-pocket, anyway, so renting DVC was a better deal. Your mileage may vary.)

As far as when it's historically offered, you can find that information here (in general over the past few years, free dining is offered for select arrival dates in the fall, and the offer is released sometime in April): https://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/

Be aware, though, that free dining is never really "free": there will be blackout dates, blacked-out resorts, minimum length-of-stay requirements (e.g., 6 nights or longer), minimum room category requirements (e.g., preferred rooms, or rooms with certain upgraded views) and even ticket requirements (e.g., length-of-stay parkhopper). By the time you've made the upgrades necessary to be eligible, you may find that you're not saving much. You have to examine it on a case-by-case basis.
I have NEVER found this to be the case that it is NOT worth it, it had ALWAYS saved my family of 4 at least $750-$1000

dreamfinder

As pointed out, free dining is available only if you meet the requirements for the promotion. Typically that will require a minimum stay and minimum ticket purchase, and the type of dining plan will vary based on the resort you choose.

You would want to run the numbers and see if it makes sense for you. See what it would cost for you to rent those points, buy your tickets and then pay for dining out of pocket. And then compare to paying rack rate for the same level room (paying cash for villas will pretty much guaranteed cost more even with free dining) tickets and getting dining for free. You will need to trade off things like the in room laundry and kitchen to switch to a normal room, so it's really up to you.

Dave B

That is great for for you, however it is not the case with everyone. Depending on your party size, ages and resort choice, a room discount can often be a better value than free dining.
I really have never seen a situation where the room discount beats the free dining, I have been running scenarios for the last 6 years that we have gone and never seen an instance where the room discount is better, I guess if you are NOT going to eat at all, or leave every night to eat at the dollar menu at McDonalds' or something, or maybe a party of one, but I have never seen the numbers come out where the room discount is better, would love to see some numbers of info. We have stayed at all types from All Stars to Poly and Beach Club, Caribbean, Coronado and both Port Orleans

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I really have never seen a situation where the room discount beats the free dining, I have been running scenarios for the last 6 years that we have gone and never seen an instance where the room discount is better, I guess if you are NOT going to eat at all, or leave every night to eat at the dollar menu at McDonalds' or something, or maybe a party of one, but I have never seen the numbers come out where the room discount is better, would love to see some numbers of info. We have stayed at all types from All Stars to Poly and Beach Club, Caribbean, Coronado and both Port Orleans
A room discount for two for adults and a child under three is often better at a deluxe and at times a moderate.

There is also annual pass holders to consider. If the number of days per year you spend in a park are at a level where an AP becomes a value (break even is around 10-11 days per year), free dining is rarely a good option regardless of your party size or resort level due to the minimum ticket purchase required.

There is also the problem that the DDP is really not all it is cracked up to be in terms of value. If all you do is look at the cost of the plan and compare it to the most expensive items on a menu then you will often come out ahead. However, when you compare what you would actually order, the cost saving begin to erode and in many cases disappear completely. That can be even more true now that the price has been raised and a single alcoholic beverage added. About the only situation where the DDP really comes out ahead is if you have a lot of character meals and buffets planned.

Last edited:

Dave B

But that is the beauty of the DDP, it allows you to order things you would not normally do, it makes the trip like being at an all inclusive resort, I never have to touch my wallet from the day I get there until the time I leave, unless I want a souvenir for the kiddos or a rare beer or three, and I would agree if you have a party of 2, it probably is a better deal

ALSO

You can't compare AP holder to free dining, its like oil and water, they are two different entities or scenarios

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But that is the beauty of the DDP, it allows you to order things you would not normally do, it makes the trip like being at an all inclusive resort, I never have to touch my wallet from the day I get there until the time I leave, unless I want a souvenir for the kiddos or a rare beer or three, and I would agree if you have a party of 2, it probably is a better deal

ALSO

You can't compare AP holder to free dining, its like oil and water, they are two different entities or scenarios
It is also the problem. You often "have to" to make it worth it. There are a myriad of circumstances where the DDP is still too much food.

I do agree that is does create a sort of carefree, cruise ship mentality, but for someone on a budget, it is often not the best way to go.

The DDP use to be an nearly failsafe way to save money on dining. It has devolved to be a convenience at best for most groups.

The AP absolutely comes into play as it is a form of ticket media available to everyone. If all you are doing is a 5-7 day trip once every few years, free dining might work out well. However, if you take a 5-7 day trip once per year and can shuffle that last trip by just one week earlier, an AP suddenly becomes a very good , often money saving option.

Dave B

But don't you need to go to the parks like 15 days to make an AP worth its while, I don't think you even break even at 2(two) 5-7 day trips

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But don't you need to go to the parks like 15 days to make an AP worth its while, I don't think you even break even at 2(two) 5-7 day trips
Break even is roughly 10-11 days across 2 trips. Even shorter if you are a Florida resident. The AP perkes can sweeten the deal even further, but I never recommend getting one unless you can break even on admission alone.

dreamfinder

As @Master Yoda said, break even is usually around 10 or 11 days in a single year. But you break even at two 4 day trips. An AP is currently $829.64 tax included, and UT is currently offering a 4 day hopper for $431.95 tax included. So 2 discounted 4 day hoppers would run you $862, which is $30 more than the AP. Now obviously the lengths of your trips will greatly shift that breakeven, but heck two 3 day hoppers at $361.95, totaling $724 would break even if you include the Photopass download benefits instead of having to buy Memory Maker.

Ticket prices are really structured to target guests who travel once every few years, and to keep them on property as long as possible. If you are going to make multiple trips within the same 365 days, then an AP will almost always work out to your advantage.

Free dining usually ends up being a good proposition for a family of 4 (or 5) who travels to WDW once every few years, likes to stay in values or moderates, and eats to the plan. If you are a party of 3 or less, or like to stay in deluxe, travel multiple times in a year, or doesn't eat to the plan (IE doesn't want soda with every meal) then a room discount will often end up being better numbers wise than free dining. Especially if you consider things like AP or TiW discounts on paying for meals out of pocket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom