1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Free dining

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Insect, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Insect

Insect Member

Free dining dates should be released on Monday.

Uncle Lupe, Greg H, SosoDude and 4 others like this.
  2. TeriofTerror

TeriofTerror Well-Known Member

I believe it will run parts of August - December, with all of October excluded. Value and Moderates will likely be Quick Service, Deluxes will be the regular Dining Plan.

3. HauntedPirate

HauntedPirate Premium Member

Excellent! I will inform my neighbor, who has been waiting patiently for free dining.

4. uncle jimmy

uncle jimmy Well-Known Member

Does this mean Fall Discounts for rooms, stays and packages be released soon too?

5. TeriofTerror

TeriofTerror Well-Known Member

I'd assume they'll be along soon. And my advice (for the extremely little that's worth) is to definitely crunch the numbers. Five people in a Moderate might make Free Dining your best bet. Two - three people in a Deluxe? I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts a room discount will be a better deal. And if you're at all like me (a small eater and an enthusiastic drinker), TiW is the best deal of all! :D

6. uncle jimmy

TeriofTerror likes this.
  7. egg

egg Well-Known Member

What is "free dining"?

DarthFiscus75 likes this.
  8. JenniferS

JenniferS Go with the green. Premium Member

Sarcasm?

9. egg

egg Well-Known Member

No no, I honestly have no idea what free dining is.

It's probably something super well-known and I look stupid for asking, but, oh well. I tried looking it up and couldn't find an actual explanation, I just gathered that it's some sort of discount.

JenniferS likes this.
  10. Animaniac93-98

Animaniac93-98 Well-Known Member

When I steal some of your French Fries. :cautious:

11. Animaniac93-98

Animaniac93-98 Well-Known Member

It's an annual and very popular package promotion for WDW resorts.

You get free meal credits when you book a room + ticket package for your family. Credit types vary based on resort category.

Princess Leia likes this.
  12. KrzyKtty

KrzyKtty Well-Known Member

Almost every fall Disney offers a promotion offering free Dining Plans (either Quick Service or standard). Whether you qualify for the promo depends on your resort, room, tickets, check in dates, and stay length. Also, free dining isn't always the cheapest or best deal depend on what room discount offers could be offered around the same time.

13. Clamman73

Clamman73 Well-Known Member

14. egg

egg Well-Known Member

Thank you both. :)

JenniferS and Animaniac93-98 like this.
  15. JenniferS

JenniferS Go with the green. Premium Member

Others have clearly answered your question, but I find it delightfully refreshing that you really didn't know.

Depending who you ask, Free Dining is either the greatest thing since sliced bread, or is the reason for everything that is wrong with WDW. Before we were "blaming" Meg, or "thanking" Shanghai, we were ragging about Free Dining ... which isn't really free, of course.

Me, I am unapologetically guilty of indulging in Free Dining for more than a decade.

16. Nj4mwc

Nj4mwc Well-Known Member

I finally crunched the numbers this year and realized that the military room discount and buying the military discount park tickets works out better especially since I'm going to be spending 3 nights at universal. If I was taking a longer Disney only free dining might be more appealing but I kick myself for all these years I thought it was the way to go

larryz likes this.
  17. Uncle Lupe

Uncle Lupe Well-Known Member

You have to do the math but price it OOP and you see why everybody gets anxious about this promo.

Last time we went 2011 the free dining promo let us upgrade to a moderate, get the free dining and a $200 refund. At the time it was #awesome in 2017 terms.

18. uncle jimmy

I think its mousesavers... if you google when does disney world release fall discounts, they have a very detailed calendar of discounts for the past years with when they were released, the time frame and what the promotion discount was. Fall sees a lot of discounts since its a slower period after all the kiddos go back to school and its before the two major holidays.

19. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

The key thing not mentioned: "free dining" is only available if you pay rack rate on your room along with full price for your tickets. That's why people stress to run the numbers to see whether or not any offered discount on the room along with your party size and normal eating habits might be a better deal than paying Disney's FULL RACK RATE and getting "free" food (which you're actually paying for in the full rack rate in some cases).

Those with larger, older groups in the rooms often benefit from "free dining," even at the higher hotel room rate. Case in point: 2 adults, and two teens. Planning on doing a lot of character meals can be another deciding factor in favor of "free dining."

20. zakattack99

zakattack99 Well-Known Member

Just a heads up to everyone planning on free dinning. The rumor floating around is value AND moderate resorts will get free QS plan and only Deluxe resorts will get free DDP. No idea if this is true but something to be prepared for if you planned a stay at the mods.

HauntedPirate likes this.