Free Dining Changes

Club Cooloholic

Not sure if this was posted, I tried to find something but could not. I see now that Moderates only get quick service for the free dining package. Has this been going on for a few years? I only thought free dining was worth it if you were doing a Moderate and getting the regular dining plan, now I would think the only one that might be worth it is getting a Value and the Quick Service Plan. Booking rack rate for a moderate and getting that is ridiculous, and the same could be said for Deluxes getting a standard dining plan at those rack room prices.

Weather_Lady

Not sure if this was posted, I tried to find something but could not. I see now that Moderates only get quick service for the free dining package. Has this been going on for a few years? I only thought free dining was worth it if you were doing a Moderate and getting the regular dining plan, now I would think the only one that might be worth it is getting a Value and the Quick Service Plan. Booking rack rate for a moderate and getting that is ridiculous, and the same could be said for Deluxes getting a standard dining plan at those rack room prices.

The fall free dining offer was downgraded just this year (although many would argue that free dining offers in general have declined over the years, with more requirements and fewer dates). We visited last year during free dining and stayed at [moderate resort] CBR. Although those staying at a moderate did receive the regular dining plan last year (not simply quick service), in order to be eligible we had to upgrade to a "preferred" room (+$360, $60 for each night of our 6-night stay) and parkhopper tickets (+$300 for our party), all of which eroded the majority of the money we were saving by getting the "free" dining offer -- and forced us to choose only one-credit dining experiences, so we wouldn't have to pay for additional meals out of pocket (which would have completely obliterated any savings from "free" dining).

I think you're right that if one does the math on the current offer, there's only a decent savings if you're staying at a value resort.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
The fall free dining offer was downgraded just this year (although many would argue that free dining offers in general have declined over the years, with more requirements and fewer dates). We visited last year during free dining and stayed at [moderate resort] CBR. Although those staying at a moderate did receive the regular dining plan last year (not simply quick service), in order to be eligible we had to upgrade to a "preferred" room (+$360, $60 for each night of our 6-night stay) and parkhopper tickets (+$300 for our party), all of which eroded the majority of the money we were saving by getting the "free" dining offer -- and forced us to choose only one-credit dining experiences, so we wouldn't have to pay for additional meals out of pocket (which would have completely obliterated any savings from "free" dining).

I think you're right that if one does the math on the current offer, there's only a decent savings if you're staying at a value resort.
The restricted dates and costs pushed me to book offers with room discounts over the years. For one, I like the flexibility of skipping a sitdown meal if we choose. The other thing is, when the dining deal is going on, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get some reservations or just drop in on a decent restaurant because everyone is doing the same thing, even in an off time of the year.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
The restricted dates and costs pushed me to book offers with room discounts over the years. For one, I like the flexibility of skipping a sitdown meal if we choose. The other thing is, when the dining deal is going on, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get some reservations or just drop in on a decent restaurant because everyone is doing the same thing, even in an off time of the year.
I will have to disagree on one part of your response. We always go during free dining almost every single year even though we don't partake in free dining and have never (knock on wood lol) had a problem getting any of the reservations we want even at the most popular hard to get places like BOG, 'Ohana, Cali Grill during Wishes, etc etc etc I could go on. Some i booked right at 180 days and some I got later even BOG dinner I got about 2-3 months out. And I would never walk up to any I always make reservations so can't speak for walkups. ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom