Free Dining & AP Holders

blreinsel

Original Poster
How does free dining work if you have an AP? Do you just automatically get a plan if you book a room?

drizgirl

You still have to make the required ticket purchase to qualify for free dining. I believe you can set that ticket aside to put toward AP renewal later?

sublimesting

How does free dining work if you have an AP? Do you just automatically get a plan if you book a room?
No unfortunately you still would have to buy the allotted number of tickets. :( What we have always done in the past when we had an AP was to buy those tix anyways. Then when you get to the parks prioritize it so you use your AP, thus saving those tickets you bought just for the dining and use them in the future. We do this every other year as we buy an AP and use it in September of two years in a row.

blreinsel

Original Poster
You still have to make the required ticket purchase to qualify for free dining. I believe you can set that ticket aside to put toward AP renewal later?

No unfortunately you still would have to buy the allotted number of tickets. :( What we have always done in the past when we had an AP was to buy those tix anyways. Then when you get to the parks prioritize it so you use your AP, thus saving those tickets you bought just for the dining and use them in the future. We do this every other year as we buy an AP and use it in September of two years in a row.

We have just enjoyed using a room discount when we had AP's instead of "free" dining. The math worked better for us that way anyway.

ITA! Very rarely does free dining beat out the savings of the AP anyway

Thank you all for your input! I'm new to this... we'll be moving to Florida in July and will be getting AP's so just trying to wrap my head around all of the inner workings. :)

blreinsel

Original Poster
Since you're moving to Florida you need to investigate a Tables in Wonderland card. We're not residents and still make it work well to our advantage thanks to DVC.

I've seen a lot of people referencing the TIW card but haven't looked into it yet... What are the major perks of having one?

lostpro9het

I've seen a lot of people referencing the TIW card but haven't looked into it yet... What are the major perks of having one?
http://tablesinwonderland.com

Pretty much it's 20% off dining at most all TS restaurants including alcohol, and a few QS and lounge locations as well. It will put 18% back on the bill for gratuity for TS locations. Pretty much if you plan to purchase $750 at participating locations in a 13 month window it will pay for itself. We've held TiW card for a few years and have always made out well because of it.

correcaminos

I wouldn't say that. It really depends on your party size and eating habits.
From AP rates and especially now the discounts on some dining? I still agree with the poster I quoted. Especially now with only getting QS for moderates and having to be deluxe to get the regular. The free dining is getting chiseled away quickly to nearly nothing.

ToTBellHop

Just remember, the tickets you buy for this promotion must have their first use by 12/31/18.

blreinsel

Original Poster
http://tablesinwonderland.com

Pretty much it's 20% off dining at most all TS restaurants including alcohol, and a few QS and lounge locations as well. It will put 18% back on the bill for gratuity for TS locations. Pretty much if you plan to purchase $750 at participating locations in a 13 month window it will pay for itself. We've held TiW card for a few years and have always made out well because of it.

It looks like a pretty good deal, especially considering that many of the restaurants that qualify are ones that we eat at anyway. Depending on how the budget is looking when we upgrade to AP's, I may be adding this on as well. Thanks for the info!

I wouldn't say that. It really depends on your party size and eating habits.

I'm most always part of a party of 2 who eats A LOT :hilarious: And we do a lot of TS meals, particularly character meals. I've always felt the dining plan was a good deal for me based on the ADR's I tend to make.. Plus, I'm able to budget and pay it off easier as part of my general trip payments rather than getting my credit card bill a month after the trip and being like :eek: lol

draybook

From AP rates and especially now the discounts on some dining? I still agree with the poster I quoted. Especially now with only getting QS for moderates and having to be deluxe to get the regular. The free dining is getting chiseled away quickly to nearly nothing.

I should have amended my statement. Up until this year I would have argued your point. This year it's a fine line. For us, this might be the last year we partake in this offer. For the 5 of us(4 adults + infant), 9 nights at AS Movies with 9 day tickets, it's running us $4533.11 total. It was 3600 and some change, but we upgraded to the regular dining plan for the table services that we love. That's insane. Just a few years ago, we paid that same 3600-ish to stay at a moderate(FQ) with the same plan and tickets and all. We were originally set for a pirate room(only thing available when we booked for the GC offer) at CSR, but that would have been a cool 6 bands. No way in hell I'm paying 6 large for anything short of a deluxe.

correcaminos

I should have amended my statement. Up until this year I would have argued your point. This year it's a fine line. For us, this might be the last year we partake in this offer. For the 5 of us(4 adults + infant), 9 nights at AS Movies with 9 day tickets, it's running us $4533.11 total. It was 3600 and some change, but we upgraded to the regular dining plan for the table services that we love. That's insane. Just a few years ago, we paid that same 3600-ish to stay at a moderate(FQ) with the same plan and tickets and all. We were originally set for a pirate room(only thing available when we booked for the GC offer) at CSR, but that would have been a cool 6 bands. No way in hell I'm paying 6 large for anything short of a deluxe.
It is getting worse and worse. Even if we never take part of the free dining, I help friends run numbers all the time. We have had some spectacular AP rates though that made it hard for some to justify. This year's feels lower but haven't really looked. I do think the free dining will be phased out based on dates and what they are doing. As DVC and AP holder, I cannot complain as we do less TS now than ever due to all the dining planning and hype of the planing so far in advance. I love Disney but long for the days when planning on the fly was normal and not the rarity it is now.

correcaminos

Hmmm, My expiration date says 12/31/30.
As of this year with the new increase the expiration date was for the next calendar year. Word is you can take the ticket to the counters and pay any differences in price from purchase date to current Disney prices, but you will not be able to just use it like in the past.

EvilQueen-T

Depending on how often/many days a year you go you may want to look into Tables in Wonderland. It's a 20% discount, includes the tip, and covers alcohol. Plus you can order how you want to eat unlike the dining plans. For instance you don't have to order dessert with each meal. We're AP holders too and do a room discount and use TIW.

blreinsel

Original Poster
Depending on how often/many days a year you go you may want to look into Tables in Wonderland. It's a 20% discount, includes the tip, and covers alcohol. Plus you can order how you want to eat unlike the dining plans. For instance you don't have to order dessert with each meal. We're AP holders too and do a room discount and use TIW.

I'm definitely looking into TiW! It seems like a great deal. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom