Fred MacMurray Disney Double Feature

Magenta Panther

TCM will show The Absent-Minded Professor (1961) and The ****gy Dog (1959) back to back starting at 8:00pm on Wednesday January 27th.

EDIT: I see auto-censor doesn't like certain Disney titles...

Oh good grief, you mean we can't even type the name of gy, Scooby's owner, here???

SixFlagsZoinks.jpg

prberk

Both really fun movies that defined Disney live-action for a long time. They had a Mickey Mouse Club feel to them, primarily because they were filmed for television in black-and-white (although ultimately released to theatres instead as feature films because they were so good), and because they featured many of the stars of the Mickey Mouse Club and its serials.

I grew up with these films. They were just fun. And I remember having a 15 year-old student over in the '90s who saw the S h a g g y Dog DVD on my shelf and wanted to watch it because he had loved it so much on Disney Channel when he was younger. It felt like home to him. (He was going through a huge family breakup at the time, with divorce and displacement for himself in a major way, as the only boy in his family and really no place to go when they all moved without feeling like the fifth wheel -- his mom and sisters in a small place and his dad in an even smaller place.) Watching it at my house made him feel like everything was fine, for just a little while at least.

[Yes, the "Disney Channel" was the DISNEY Channel then, showing family Disney movies old and new, and even had the Mickey Mouse Club....]

Watch these movies if you can.

Last edited:

prberk

This is TONIGHT everyone. Really worth watching this if you want a view of the style and substance that made Disney so pervasive in the 1950s and '60s among the boomers. Very similar to the Mickey Mouse Club serials and other things that were so popular then, just as Disneyland was opening and the Sunday night show (Disneyland) started to take off also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom