Fortune Magazine: Disney's tech innovation is my nightmare

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
A very interesting piece in Fortune that echoes a lot of sentiments shared on these forums.

Disney's tech innovation is my nightmare

Disney World has become an unwelcome extension of our obsession with screens and schedules.

My wife and I typically go to bed by 11pm, owing to both our jobs and an (almost) 5 year-old who wouldn’t sleep past 7am if we bathed her in Benadryl. But this Sunday night we’ll be awake past midnight, stressed out and on our laptops.

And it’s Disney’s fault.

Okay, maybe that isn’t entirely fair. After all, I was the one who thought it would be fun to take our daughter to Walt Disney World for her birthday this November. She has one more year until kindergarten begins, so I figured that this would be our last chance to enjoy shorter lines by visiting The Happiest Place on Earth© during non-holiday weekdays. Plus, it seemed like such a simple trip. Book the airfare, hotel and park tickets — then the rest would take care of itself. Walk left, walk right… it won’t matter. There will be something magical for my daughter around every corner.

But it seems that I was thinking about the Disney World of my youth, when the most advanced software was housed in a blue robot at Epcot that could kinda-sorta have a conversation with you.

Today’s Disney, as I’m learning, is much different.

Every person through the turnstiles has the opportunity to secure up to three FastPass selections per day — selections that let you essentially skip the lines at top rides at pre-determined times — which connect to both a mobile app and your own personal MagicBand bracelet. And by “opportunity,” I mean “responsibility.” After all, who wants 45 minutes of waiting in line, while your kid keeps asking why so many people get to cut in front of her. “But daddy, couldn’t you have made a reservation?”

But the thing about these FastPasses is that you don’t sign up for them when you arrive at the park, or even first thing in the morning. No, if you’re staying in a Disney hotel (as we are), the FastPasses go on sale 60 days before you arrive (30 days for everyone else). And, from what I’m told, they go so quick that if we don’t have a plan of action put in motion at 12:01am, we might as well not bother.

And that doesn’t even take into account the process for making reservations for character meals, like what we had hoped to be her birthday dinner in Cinderella’s castle. Those began 180 days out, and we hadn’t decided on the trip by then. So that’s not happening.

To Disney, all of this is supposed to make our trip easier and, thus, more enjoyable. But Disney is wrong.

Some of my frustration relates to the prep work we need to do before the coach turns into a pumpkin on Sunday night, or what I imagine will be our stress level during those precious few moments.

More of it, however, relates to how all of this park planning is taking away from what should be the wonderful spontaneity of being with a 5 year-old at Disney World. She may still walk left or walk right, but always with an one eye on the clock, lest she miss her one opportunity to meet Anna and Elsa. Oh, yeah, I forgot: the characters no longer roam the parks, giving children the unexpected joy of bumping into them. Instead, most of their meet-and-greets are scheduled, with the mobile app letting you know where to go and when.

To be sure, I know that I’m incredibly fortunate to be going on vacation to Disney with my family. And it will almost certainly create happy memories that my daughter will carry for the rest of her life. But in an age where so much of our children’s lives revolve around screens and schedules, I was kind of hoping for an oasis. Instead, we’re headed to mission control.

Kman

I sometimes feel like I am the only one who actually likes the FP+ system. I realize it CAN take the spontaneity out of things but if you want that then there is the option to simply not use the system and go with the flow.

I love the ability to plan ahead and it's not like I can't change my plans. We are here right now and I made a change to my FP selections from one day to another when we got here with no issues. I suppose in very busy times that might be difficult or potentially even impossible. Not a huge deal in my books.

I love the Magic Band system!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Interesting article. Personally, I think planning is fun so picking FP's in advance or making dining reservations ahead of time is part of the fun for me. For spontaneity, I use park hoppers. :D

Now that doesn't change my opinion that the amount of money they spent on this system is still very very questionable.

Dukeblue1227

I see why people have an issue with FP+ , but what is Disney supposed to do about the dining issue? Would you rather wait in line 2 hours for CRT, or make reservations 180 days before your trip?

It's a real issue though that there's a lot of people might plan a trip 5 months out... And why even bother when you won't be able to eat at a single good restaurant? If you book more than six months out its annoying so far in advance to try to determine where you want to be when... But it is what it is. However it's just not worth booking a trip inside six months when a lot of the vacation is no longer available to you.

I don't know the solution, but it's absolutely a very real issue. And it's an issue Disney has created.

Would 2 months in advance be so bad for reservations? Would it be worse than it is now?

copcarguyp71

This is a pretty accurate summation of why we are taking a five year hiatus (two years into it now) in hopes that they can work this technological monster they have created out.

I spend the other three hundred and fifty some days a year worried about schedules, cell phones and deadlines....I am not going to do it on the eight or ten days a year that I plan to be away from it. No, I cannot propose an answer to the juggernaut they have created but I can say that I do not have to book my drinks or beach chair in the caribbean 180 days before I leave home...and that is what draws us away from Disney...the ability to freestyle and roll with our mood at any given time during our vacation.

Raineman

My last visit to WDW was during the beginning of the Magic Band/FP+/ADR thing, and, while it can take a bit of working around, you can still book ADRs fairly late, especially if you book for dinner and are willing to eat a bit later, ie 7pm. Our ADRs were booked a couple weeks before we went, and we got everything we wanted, albeit a couple later than normal-we had a good sized breakfast with our QS meal, then a few good snacks during the day, and then our ADR TS dinner in the evening. We got all of our FP too, booked the night before-and this was in late March during the spring break season. Having to plan somewhat does not bother me at all-and getting park hopper next time will make things more flexible when it comes to ADRs.

DManRightHere

A very interesting piece in Fortune that echoes a lot of sentiments shared on these forums.

Disney World has become an unwelcome extension of our obsession with screens and schedules.

My wife and I typically go to bed by 11pm, owing to both our jobs and an (almost) 5 year-old who wouldn’t sleep past 7am if we bathed her in Benadryl. But this Sunday night we’ll be awake past midnight, stressed out and on our laptops.

And it’s Disney’s fault.

Okay, maybe that isn’t entirely fair. After all, I was the one who thought it would be fun to take our daughter to Walt Disney World for her birthday this November. She has one more year until kindergarten begins, so I figured that this would be our last chance to enjoy shorter lines by visiting The Happiest Place on Earth© during non-holiday weekdays. Plus, it seemed like such a simple trip. Book the airfare, hotel and park tickets — then the rest would take care of itself. Walk left, walk right… it won’t matter. There will be something magical for my daughter around every corner.

But it seems that I was thinking about the Disney World of my youth, when the most advanced software was housed in a blue robot at Epcot that could kinda-sorta have a conversation with you.

Every person through the turnstiles has the opportunity to secure up to three FastPass selections per day — selections that let you essentially skip the lines at top rides at pre-determined times — which connect to both a mobile app and your own personal MagicBand bracelet. And by “opportunity,” I mean “responsibility.” After all, who wants 45 minutes of waiting in line, while your kid keeps asking why so many people get to cut in front of her. “But daddy, couldn’t you have made a reservation?”

But the thing about these FastPasses is that you don’t sign up for them when you arrive at the park, or even first thing in the morning. No, if you’re staying in a Disney hotel (as we are), the FastPasses go on sale 60 days before you arrive (30 days for everyone else). And, from what I’m told, they go so quick that if we don’t have a plan of action put in motion at 12:01am, we might as well not bother.

And that doesn’t even take into account the process for making reservations for character meals, like what we had hoped to be her birthday dinner in Cinderella’s castle. Those began 180 days out, and we hadn’t decided on the trip by then. So that’s not happening.

To Disney, all of this is supposed to make our trip easier and, thus, more enjoyable. But Disney is wrong.

Some of my frustration relates to the prep work we need to do before the coach turns into a pumpkin on Sunday night, or what I imagine will be our stress level during those precious few moments.

More of it, however, relates to how all of this park planning is taking away from what should be the wonderful spontaneity of being with a 5 year-old at Disney World. She may still walk left or walk right, but always with an one eye on the clock, lest she miss her one opportunity to meet Anna and Elsa. Oh, yeah, I forgot: the characters no longer roam the parks, giving children the unexpected joy of bumping into them. Instead, most of their meet-and-greets are scheduled, with the mobile app letting you know where to go and when.

To be sure, I know that I’m incredibly fortunate to be going on vacation to Disney with my family. And it will almost certainly create happy memories that my daughter will carry for the rest of her life. But in an age where so much of our children’s lives revolve around screens and schedules, I was kind of hoping for an oasis. Instead, we’re headed to mission control.

Same argument as always. I like the system, it doesn't have to be done, but it definitely helps. Table reservations do seem crazy, but availability would be hard no matter what with their popularity. Disney is much better now than the 80's (as far as waiting in lines). We spend less time on our phones at Disney except to check wait times, and that is a convenience. We plan ahead and done.

Magenta Panther

And it’s Disney’s fault.

Thank you for posting this. I've heard similar complaints from friends of mine with children who are planning a Disney trip. Me, I just go, and screw Fastpass, screw the darn band - it's no better than the key cards we used to get, and I much prefer the old paper Fastpass tickets. MUCH more convenient.

Mickey5150

I love fastpass+, I love MyMagic+ and having been going to WDW for decades, the wristband is my favorite advancement that Disney has brought to the theme park experience. Now all I need is Mickey to call me by name and I'm done, lol.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
This isn't good press for Disney Parks and Resorts. A financial magazine read mostly by Wall Street types giving a bad review to the multi-billion dollar system brought in by Disney.

This isn't just about Fastpasses or ADRs. Its about the capital investments made (and not made) and everything behind the scenes and the thought processes that lead us to this.

In short, it comes down to the fundamental question of "Can Technology solve the problem of lines at Disney?" Hell no, not when you've had a summer that was pulling 65-70k+ people/day at MK. Your scheduling and cell phone app wont fix that the sheer amount of people that come to WDW. Only capacity can fix that issue.

Siren

LOL. This is such a poorly written article, IMO. The author has yet to even use the system, and he certainly doesn't have his 'facts' straight. I'm not holding it against the writer for not using FP+, but there are much better rants on FP+ a dime a dozen by people who have actually used it.

The author incorrectly states that "FP+ goes on sale" -- when it is absolutely free, no other theme park in the world does this entirely for free for *everyone*. OMG, I totally *love* FP+.

Forbes would never publish anything tacky like this, which is why they are so much more exceptional than Fortune. And, I must add that I love the WDWMAGIC forum so much for creating the FP+ sub forum. I cherish every moment I can completely avoid seeing rabid disgruntled complaints like the article above. It's just like they don't exist. LOL.

Disney should totally ban and revoke Fortune's media access to all Disney events -- no Star Wars, no Pandora, no Marvel, or anything Disney for publishing that.

Last edited:

Siren

Interesting article. Personally, I think planning is fun so picking FP's in advance or making dining reservations ahead of time is part of the fun for me. For spontaneity, I use park hoppers. :D

Now that doesn't change my opinion that the amount of money they spent on this system is still very very questionable.
The majority of costs associated with NextGEN did not come from FP+, it was from the infrastructure upgrades -- all of the hotel room door locks were replaced with RFID locks, every single POS register (restaurant, hotel, parks, etc.) was upgraded, all of the park entrances were upgraded, all of the attraction queues were elaborately furnished with upgrades, and there is the new interactive website(s). These upgrades were desperately needed to accommodate recent and future growth. If anything, Disney deserves a pat on the back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom