Forthcoming DLP refurbs for the 25th and beyond

FigmentForver96

Between Magic Kingdom and Disneyland, I can't decide a favourite park overall. I love them both. But neither are as beautiful as Disneyland Parc in Paris. That said, 2016 is NOT the year to visit DLP. There are so many refurbs that it's just not worth that. 2017, on the other hand... Wow! This park is going to be a force to be reckoned with for it's 25th anniversary. I'll be buying an annual pass.
I am very much looking forward to my next trip! Paris has always held a special place in my heart.

dagobert

Between Magic Kingdom and Disneyland, I can't decide a favourite park overall. I love them both. But neither are as beautiful as Disneyland Parc in Paris. That said, 2016 is NOT the year to visit DLP. There are so many refurbs that it's just not worth that. 2017, on the other hand... Wow! This park is going to be a force to be reckoned with for it's 25th anniversary. I'll be buying an annual pass.

2017 will be a fantstic year to visit, but we have an annual pass, so we are going to visit this year too. It's not just the rides why we are going, but als just to be there and enjoy the atmosphere.

While WDW was always great to visit, we like DLP a little bit more, but I'm curious to see DL Anaheim this year. I'm really sorry to say that, but the MK is my least favourite park, I even liked DHS better before all the closings.

the-reason14

Oh wow. This is potentially my first trip to Paris for this year and now I'm hearing a lot of things might be closed. It only seems there are a select few things there that are worth seeing. Phantom Manor, Pirates, and IASW. And if these are closed then I don't think I want to waste money and go. Are these dates official? What's "officially" gonna be closed late July and early August 2016?

Den Carter

Oh wow. This is potentially my first trip to Paris for this year and now I'm hearing a lot of things might be closed. It only seems there are a select few things there that are worth seeing. Phantom Manor, Pirates, and IASW. And if these are closed then I don't think I want to waste money and go. Are these dates official? What's "officially" gonna be closed late July and early August 2016?

DLP is without doubt the most beautiful Disney park I've visited and has many wonderful rides - often better than their WDW equivalents (especially Big Thunder, Space Mountain and Pirates).

BUT, if you want to ride, 2016 isn't the year to visit. They're in the middle of a MASSIVE (seriously HUGE) refurb plan, in time for it to be truly spectacular in time for the 25th anniversary next Spring.

In July/August, these will be closed:
  • Adventure Isle
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • Thunder Mesa Riverboats
  • Main Street USA and Discoveryland stations (Frontierland and Fantasyland are open)
  • Les Cabines des Robinson
  • Star Tours
  • Studio Tram Tour (at WDS)

the-reason14

DLP is without doubt the most beautiful Disney park I've visited and has many wonderful rides - often better than their WDW equivalents (especially Big Thunder, Space Mountain and Pirates).

BUT, if you want to ride, 2016 isn't the year to visit. They're in the middle of a MASSIVE (seriously HUGE) refurb plan, in time for it to be truly spectacular in time for the 25th anniversary next Spring.

In July/August, these will be closed:
  • Adventure Isle
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • Thunder Mesa Riverboats
  • Main Street USA and Discoveryland stations (Frontierland and Fantasyland are open)
  • Les Cabines des Robinson
  • Star Tours
  • Studio Tram Tour (at WDS)
Wow, this sounds like an awful lot. This Paris trip kind of snuck up on me with the planning. I never in my life thought I'd get to go, and couldn't without visiting their Disneyland. If anything I just hope this will inspire me to go back. If not anytime soon, then one day. Thanks for the info. Will make a note of this.

Den Carter

Wow, this sounds like an awful lot. This Paris trip kind of snuck up on me with the planning. I never in my life thought I'd get to go, and couldn't without visiting their Disneyland. If anything I just hope this will inspire me to go back. If not anytime soon, then one day. Thanks for the info. Will make a note of this.

Don't get me wrong, you can still have a wonderful trip to DLP this year. It's beautiful. But if you really are only going to visit the parks once in a lifetime, and you have any flexibility on when that might be, Spring of 2017 will be when that park really comes into its own. As Disney are now the major shareholders (they acquired DLP off the other investors last year), they're literally going all out to make it magical for thr 25th. Unfortunately it means a year of mass closures - but it'll be worth it.

Still, if you do go this year, you have the most perfectly themed Disneyland park, the most stunning castle, a wonderful Space Mountain, a newly refurbed IASW, and some truly awesome restaurants to look forward to.

the-reason14

Don't get me wrong, you can still have a wonderful trip to DLP this year. It's beautiful. But if you really are only going to visit the parks once in a lifetime, and you have any flexibility on when that might be, Spring of 2017 will be when that park really comes into its own. As Disney are now the major shareholders (they acquired DLP off the other investors last year), they're literally going all out to make it magical for thr 25th. Unfortunately it means a year of mass closures - but it'll be worth it.

Still, if you do go this year, you have the most perfectly themed Disneyland park, the most stunning castle, a wonderful Space Mountain, a newly refurbed IASW, and some truly awesome restaurants to look forward to.

Yes, it really does look nice. I can't wait to go. It seems that the stuff I really want to see will be open with just thunder mountain being closed. I can deal with that. But I'm assuming there will be a lot of construction walls? That won't be too nice, but as long as the rides are open then that's fine. Thanks for the input.

Den Carter

Yes, it really does look nice. I can't wait to go. It seems that the stuff I really want to see will be open with just thunder mountain being closed. I can deal with that. But I'm assuming there will be a lot of construction walls? That won't be too nice, but as long as the rides are open then that's fine. Thanks for the input.

The construction walls are mostly discreet, with the exception of Frontierland which is almost entirely walled off, but it's tastefully done. The reason being that at DLP Big Thunder mountain is actually in the middle of the Rivers Of America. It's one of the features that makes it the best BTM as you board on one side of the river and the train goes under it to get to the mountain. The river itself has been completely drained to enable the refurb, so the construction walls go right round the river.

You'll still be in for a treat, though! If you've ridden Star Tours elsewhere, you're not missing out, and the studio tram tour is just an inferior copy of the old DHS one. The Riverboats are pretty much the same as the ones in MK and DL.

Pirates & Space Mountain are better at DLP. Rock n' Roller and Tower of Terror are the same but different - in a good way. And the big DLP exclusive Ratatouille Adventure is brilliant!

Disney Dreams (the nighttime show) is awesome.

And the food at DLP is to die for (think American portion sizes but French quality, with a little Disney pixie dust!)

the-reason14

The construction walls are mostly discreet, with the exception of Frontierland which is almost entirely walled off, but it's tastefully done. The reason being that at DLP Big Thunder mountain is actually in the middle of the Rivers Of America. It's one of the features that makes it the best BTM as you board on one side of the river and the train goes under it to get to the mountain. The river itself has been completely drained to enable the refurb, so the construction walls go right round the river.

You'll still be in for a treat, though! If you've ridden Star Tours elsewhere, you're not missing out, and the studio tram tour is just an inferior copy of the old DHS one. The Riverboats are pretty much the same as the ones in MK and DL.

Pirates & Space Mountain are better at DLP. Rock n' Roller and Tower of Terror are the same but different - in a good way. And the big DLP exclusive Ratatouille Adventure is brilliant!

Disney Dreams (the nighttime show) is awesome.

And the food at DLP is to die for (think American portion sizes but French quality, with a little Disney pixie dust!)

Yes!! I've heard that DLP's Thunder mountain was the best. I'm gonna be a little sad that I won't get to see it. But I'm so glad that Pirates and Phantom Manor are open. Those seem really different and special out there. Too bad about frontierland though, oh well. Hopefully on another trip. Also happy to see space mt. I remember a tv special they had years ago about DLP and I wanted to go way back then.

Den Carter

Yes!! I've heard that DLP's Thunder mountain was the best. I'm gonna be a little sad that I won't get to see it. But I'm so glad that Pirates and Phantom Manor are open. Those seem really different and special out there. Too bad about frontierland though, oh well. Hopefully on another trip. Also happy to see space mt. I remember a tv special they had years ago about DLP and I wanted to go way back then.

Look at it this way - to ride BTM you'll just HAVE to go back some day :) By which time it'll have had the new effects and be EVEN better!

Yes, Phantom Manor is fundamentally the same, but very different to Haunted Mansion. The storyline is originated in the Thunder Mesa theming of Frontierland, which is nice. And on Pirates, it's due to be closed in early 2017 to have the Jack Sparrow overlay put on, so if like many you hanker for the days before Mr Depp got shoehorned into the attraction, this might be your last chance to ride an 'original'!

No Name

I wouldn't really call that a plus :D but WDSP will have its own version soon...

Interesting. I thought that hadn't come to fruition. Is it currently under construction and still projected to open in 2017, or later?

Sorry if this has been answered, I haven't been following Paris very closely. Although I should be, since the refurbs sound excellent.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting. I thought that hadn't come to fruition. Is it currently under construction and still projected to open in 2017, or later?

Sorry if this has been answered, I haven't been following Paris very closely. Although I should be, since the refurbs sound excellent.
Later. They're concentrating on the sparkle next door first.

The WDSP tram tour station should move before TSMM starts.

AndyS2992

Later. They're concentrating on the sparkle next door first.

The WDSP tram tour station should move before TSMM starts.
Since construction hasn't even started on TSMM yet to my knowledge, I'm guessing it won't be ready in time for the 25th next year?

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm really glad to see all of these refreshes across 2015/16 leading up to 25th. I was there on opening day back in '92 and just recently started planning a trip next spring to be there again for the 25th. I haven't been back since 93 so I'm really looking forward to everything new since 93 and just renewing my love of this park. I still think Disneyland Park is the most beautiful Magic Kingdom park Disney has ever built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom