Pre-Trip Fort Wilderness for the first time!

YAY!!! Disney trip coming up this weekend!!!!! Here's the plan!
My sister gets married on Saturday. Her wedding is at 11am in Delray Beach, FL and will go till 3pm, but then we are going to an informal party at my Nana's house until about 5:30 pm - then on the road to Disney!!!
We have been talking about staying at the Fort Wilderness cabins for about 4 years, however, the price is a little high for us when you factor in the rental of the golf cart. However, my 7 year old you tube obsessed daughter was watching videos of Fort Wilderness and dreaming of bunk beds for a year! So my husband decided that we would save a little money by making breakfast in the cabin each day and booked it!!!
We are going for 3 1/2 days at the Parks, 4 nights at Fort Wilderness and have tried to be very strategic so that we can truly enjoy Fort Wilderness too!
As background, I grew up in Florida and have been going to Disney World since I was about 5 years old ... I've been countless times and yet ... it never gets old! There is always something new to do and discover!
So here's the plan (which will be a little bit tricky since various family members are involved since they will be down for my sister's wedding):
Saturday, March 12th - head to Fort Wilderness, stopping along the way at a grocery store to pick up eggs, bacon, bread, pancake mix, diet coke, water etc. for the room. Check in by 9pm and just look around our cabin and go to bed. My middle sister (not the one getting married), will be taking the ride with us and spending the first two nights with us. My daughter, Dakota, is very excited to share her bunk bed with her ... but she is very clear that she will be sleeping ON THE TOP BUNK =)!!!!!!!
Sunday, March 13th - Early Magic Hours at Hollywood Studios (taking the bus). We don't have any fast passes for the morning but are going to try to knock out the rides before lunch (obviously heading to Toy Story first). We usually eat lunch at the ABC commissary, but may head back and eat at Fort Wilderness's Trails End Restaurant, depending on time. We then plan to spend the afternoon at Fort Wilderness checking out the campus, my daughter wants to ride a pony, the arcade obviously ... at 4pm we have reservations for the Hoop de Doo Review!!! So excited! I have always wanted to see this dinner show but have never seen anything at Fort Wilderness!!!
After the dinner show, we are heading to Magic Kingdom via the boat (again - so excited to try this!)! We plan to hit fantasyland and have fast passes for The Little Mermaid, The Barnstormer, and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
Monday-March 14th - My sister will be catching the Magic Express back to the airport sadly, but an aunt and uncle of mine will be joining us for the next couple of days (but not in our room, thank goodness). This is where I get a little concerned because I'm sure their pace will be off our break neck speed in the parks but we will try to accomodate them some and we are not spending all day every day with them.
So anyways, we start with Extra Magic Hours at Animal Kingdom (bus transportation) and again hope to knock everything we want to out by lunch time (safari, lion king show, rapids, Finding Nemo are the essentials). Dakota is not quite cool enough for the Dinosaur ride yet and won't let us go to Bug's life because it scares her - boo!!!! We plan to eat at Pizzasafari, then head back to Fort Wilderness. Again, we plan to spend the afternoon at Fort Wilderness relaxing and exploring. We are then going to take the boat to Magic Kingdom and the monorail to the Contemporary California Grill for reservations at 5:10 (I've always wanted to eat here and I know we won't get to see the fireworks at that time, but I'm still looking forward to the view)! My aunt and uncle are joining us for dinner and then after dinner we will take the monorail to Magic Kingdom again to hit Adventure and Fronteirland and have fast passes for Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (my aunt and uncle may choose something different than Thunder Mountain but we'll see).
Tuesday-March 15th-EPCOT! My favorite park! We are meeting my aunt and uncle and have fast passes for Test Track, Spaceship Earth and meeting the characters. We have lunch reservations at 12pm at Chefs de France. We plan to leave Epcot around 2pm and head back to Fort Wilderness to hang out and do anything we haven't done yet. We have reservations at 5:30 for Mickey's Backyard Barbeque at Fort Wilderness, which sounds AWESOME and even involves some line dancing! (I love to dance and teach Zumba as a hobby so anything that involves dancing is my jam!!!!) We're just going to stay at Fort Wilderness that night and enjoy!
Wednesday-March 16th, we check out =(. We will take the boat to Magic Kingdom one more time and plan to spend the morning there in Tomorrowland mostly. We have fastpasses for Tomorrowland Speedway and Buzz Lightyear and also Jungle Cruise since it often has a long line and we may not be able to fit it in on Adventureland/Fronteirland night.
This is new for us - breaking the Magic Kingdom up into 3 separate trips with zones, but we are excited about it!
We have annual seasonal Florida resident passes this year which we got before the price change. It's so nice that spring break isn't blocked out - which was the reason why we did it! (We went in December 2015 for 3 days which started the pass year and stayed at All Star Music.) We plan to go a couple of days in May maybe when I have the opportunity for a conference at the Four seasons resort in Lake Buena Vista (haven't decided yet completely). We also plan to go for a long weekend in the fall - not sure when yet or where.
I will let y'all know how everything goes!!!!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
OK! Trip Report! Sorry for the long delay!!!

First of all - we LOVED Fort Wilderness! What a peaceful, beautiful place to return to! I cannot say enough good things about it, but will go on and on in detail as I go along.
We arrived as planned on Saturday evening. We checked in quickly and easily - no wait. The check in is small and rustic looking - cutely themed of course! We were told our cabin number and drove there. What's great is that you can park your cars in a drive way right in front of your cabin!!! So convenient and awesome!!! We were getting a golf cart, but you can't pick them up until after 1pm, so we ordered one to pick up the next day for the remainder of our trip.
It is so peaceful - you are in the woods, with that great smell of trees and campfire and you just feel a true sense of calm. The only down part is that in our first cabin the a/c didn't work. We figured that out after about 10 minutes and called the reception on our cell phone and without us even having to go down to the check in, they had a new cabin assigned to us. It took all of 2 minutes on the phone and they switched our magic bands so that we just drove a few cabins down and our magic bands magically worked for our new cabin - which looked exactly the same, but with working a/c - YAY!
My little girl ran right for the bunk beds - a novelty to her!!! She scrambled up to the top bunk and felt like the queen of the world. The cabin is the perfect size. My sister claimed the bottom bunk, I slept in the double bed in the same room, which we called the girl's room. My husband slept on the double sized murphy bed in the tv room. We all decided our beds were wonderfully comfy!!! We then drove down to the convenient store on property (it's in the center of Fort Wilderness -adorable and perfect!) and picked up eggs and bacon and bread and coffee and a few other items. We meant to stop at a Publix or other grocery store on the way in, but we were exhausted and it was past 11pm at this point after a long day so while it was a little more expensive than a normal grocery store, it wasn't horrible prices and we happily paid them for the convenience. We all got a great night's sleep and woke up for extra magic hours at Hollywood Studios!
We had eggs and bacon in the cabin (actually we sat outside on the porch, which has a great picnic table and grill). This way, by having breakfast at our cabin, we saved about 30.00 per day in breakfast costs! Plus it was easy and convenient. I don't think you have to do the dishes - I think the cleaners will do them for you, but I always did ... I hate to leave dirty dishes. Then I would start the dishwasher and when I returned from the parks, the dishwasher was cleared and put away!
So we headed to the bus station that first morning using the shuttle, which wasn't inconvenient at all ... but we were excited to pick up our golf cart that afternoon! We then took the bus to Hollywood Studios!!

To be continued .....

JenTen1585

Original Poster
So we didn't have any fast passes booked for the morning since they were all booked for that evening at Magic Kingdom. So we got there for opening for Extra Magic Hours at 8am and went straight to Toy Story Mania of course. I love that ride! Just so fun! AND an arm workout! LOL!
Then we went on the Great Movie Ride ... my favorite at Hollywood Studios, but my daughter isn't thrilled with it ... she hates the Alien section.
From there we saw Muppets 3D, then did the Frozen Sing-a-long (is it just me or is this soooo much fun??!!!! I love the historians and I of course know every word to every song so I really enjoy singing along at the top of my lungs!!! I've seen this twice and had the same historian duo each time - and they were magnificent!!), and then the Ariel show and then headed back to Fort Wilderness!!!
We picked up our golf cart and went back to the room to drop off our things. Then we took the golf cart to the stables and Dakota rode a pony for only $7.00!!! I mean, what in Disney is $7.00!!!! They were so cute! We then went into the stabiles and saw the huge Clydesdale horses and horses that pull Cinderella's carriage. And they have the original calliope carriage that was used to open Walt Disney World!!! So COOL!!!!!!
They have another stabile for horse rides but you have to be 9 years old (Dakota is 7 and tiny).
We then got ready for the Hoop-de-doo review!!! We checked in early (2nd in line) so we got a fabulous table- front row-touching the stage!!! I LOVED this show!!! The performers were fun and the food was great, and it was just a great time all around! It was 60.00 per adult but I really felt like it was a great value for a wonderful show and an all you can eat dinner with alcohol included!!!! Plus, we really wanted to enjoy all Fort Wilderness had to offer and this show really helped!
After the show, we took the boat from Fort Wilderness direct to Magic Kingdom! How convenient and just FUN! I mean approaching main street by boat is just so darn cool! And the boat was comfortable and quick! One of the many, many reasons to stay at Fort Wilderness!
Magic Kingdom was crazy busy that night but we rode our fast passes for Ariel and the Barnstormer, got on Small World and the Carousel and then ...boo!! Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, which my daughter had been looking forward to all night, was broke down for the night. They gave us an open fast pass in exchange that we could use on any ride, so we used it on Thunder Mountain since she was in the mood for a train roller coaster. We then took the boat back to Fort Wilderness and got ready for bed. While getting ready, my daughter said she was very cold. I thought that was weird but didn't think much else of it and thought she was just close to a vent so I tossed her up a sweatshirt and we all went to sleep.
The next morning my daughter crawled into my bed and she was burning up with fever!!! There is nothing worse than being sick at Disney World for a little girl who looked forward to this trip for months. I wanted to cry for her!!! I gave her some advil and we all went back to sleep. I told my husband that we were going to have to miss Animal Kingdom extra magic hours and see how she felt when she woke up. She woke up around 8:30am still feeling pretty sick with sad eyes but her fever had broke. And by 9am, after a little breakfast, she was begging to go to Animal Kingdom so we decided to go and take it easy and see how it went.
We rode the bus over and when we got there it was already packed!!!!! (This was spring break by the way!) We are used to opening parks ... it was a new experience getting there with the crowds .. and not one I really want to repeat. Since our fast passes were for Magic Kingdom that evening, we didn't have a fast pass for the Safari and the line was way too long, so we went to the Lion King show and the Finding Nemo show (I love both of those shows!!). I could see Dakota fading again so we decided to call it and picked up some starbucks snacks and headed back for a nap at Fort Wilderness. To be continued ....

JenTen1585

Original Poster
So Dakota went down for a nap as soon as we got back to the cabin. At 3:30 when we needed to start getting ready to head to Magic Kingdom, she was still running and fever and just looked like the saddest little girl in the world. The plan for Monday night was originally to take the boat to Magic Kingdom, then the monorail to the Contemporary where we had reservations with my aunt and uncle for the California Grill at the top of the Contemporary! My husband and I had been really looking forward to this dinner, which our friends had raved about! Then we were going to take the monorail back to Magic Kingdom and had fast passes there for rides in Frontierland and Adventureland. Well, our poor little sickie just wasn't up for it so we called my aunt and uncle and told them we would change the reservation to two people for them and that we wouldn't be joining them. Finally at around 5pm, Dakota's fever broke again and she was feeling a little better. So I took the golf cart down to the restaurant at Fort Wilderness and picked up some pizza for dinner. We ate pizza on the porch of the cabin and Dakota was revived a bit and wanted to do something, but we could tell she just wasn't up for Magic Kingdom no matter how much she wished she was, so we decided to roast marshmallows and go to Chip and Dale's sing-a-long at the campfire at Fort Wilderness!
This was SUPER COOL and free!!! Well, I mean we bought the marshmallow roasting kit, but you could have brought your own - and it wasn't that expensive at all. We roasted marshmallows and then watched from the stands as Chip and Dale came out and took pictures with and then danced with the kiddos and adults as we did songs like the hokie pokie, stand up-sit down songs, etc. After the sing-a-long was a movie under the stars, however, by that point we wanted to get Dakota to bed early to hopefully have a better little girl.
We thought she was such a trooper all day and despite her probably feeling pretty darn rotten, we still had a really good day.

The next day, Tuesday, we had plans to meet my aunt and uncle at Epcot - no extra magic hours. When Dakota first woke up she felt a little warm but she broke her fever pretty quickly and seemed to have a little more pep than the day before. She swore that she was up to going to Epcot. So we got there for opening of course by taking the bus. We had fast passes for Spaceship Earth and Test Track and the Character Spot. We headed first to the seas and did Finding Nemo and Turtle Talk, then to the land for Living with the Land. Boo on Soarin being closed for refurbishment - but excited to see the changes!!!! We grabbed a snack in the food court and then headed to Spaceship Earth where my Aunt and Uncle met us. I still love Spaceship Earth so much! It's probably my favorite ride in Disney because I love animatronics and I love the detail in each scene, the voice of Judy Dench and I even love the smell of the ride. It's just so quintessentially Disney. I like the little tech at the end too.
We then headed over to our reservations in France at Chefs de France for lunch. It was very nice - yummy and easy ... I wouldn't say the most exciting food or restaurant I've eaten at at Disney ... but nice! We had a long lunch as my Aunt and Uncle eat quite slow and we wanted to visit with them. After lunch we went to our fast pass at Test Track - YAY!!!!!! One of Dakota's favorite rides at Disney World - she loves the roller coaster portion. The whole morning Dakota wasn't exactly full of energy but she didn't have a fever and she was in a good mood. She was begging to go in the pool at Fort Wilderness as she had been looking forward to the slide and watching you tube videos of the resort. Since she hadn't had a fever all morning we decided to have a very short trip to the pool when we got back to the resort for the afternoon. We were only there for about 15 minutes but we rode the slide twice and it was very crowded anyways, so we headed back to the room and showered and changed. Dakota was doing alright. We headed out for our reservations for Mickey's backyard barbeque - another all inclusive dinner and show at Fort Wilderness (including alcohol!)! This was adorable!!! The food was the standard bbq you would expect but tasty! And the show was so much fun!!! There was a lot of dancing but Dakota refused to dance with me (she's quite reserved and it was a long shot to expect her to dance anyways, but I always give it a shot). You could also get pictures with Mickey and Minnie and Goofy and Pluto. But Dakota really wasn't into it. I don't know why because it really was a fun party and I think most kids would have had a ball. She was just not in the mood for a hoedown. She wanted to go to Magic Kingdom again. My husband and I discussed it and we weren't sure if we should push it after she seemed a little better all day. But when you're in Disney, you just want to soke up every minute and so we decided to go, and just ride the rides with no wait - our goals were people mover, carousel of progress, and monsters inc laugh floor. On a different week that wasn't Spring Break we would have been more ambitious but we could see that even Haunted House had a 45 minute wait on our app. We had a good time on those 3 rides and then headed back to get a good nights sleep - our last night in the cabins - booooooo!!!!!!

The next morning we finished packing and headed out to be at Magic Kingdom for the opening because we needed to get on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and we couldn't get a fast pass. No fever, but sadly, it was our last half day at the parks!!! We cued up at the gates and then booked it (without running) to the 7DMT! We made it and walked on!!! YAY! Honestly, it's not my favorite ride ... I found it a little underwhelming last time I went on it ... it just seems short , with less character development than I expected. I think I expected more Splash Mountain length. Anyways, we also went on Jungle Cruise and the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribbean and ended with Thunder Mountain again! By noon all the restaurants at the park were super packed and we were all getting super hungry but sick of dealing with the spring break crowd so we decided to make our way to one of the monorail resorts for lunch so Dakota got to ride the monorail and we got to get out of the crowds and explore somewhere new! We pointed out to Dakota the Contemporary, the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian and asked her where she wanted to go and she picked Grand Floridian of course because it looks like a doll house, lol!!! The resort looked beautiful and pristine and calm - less themed in some ways - more elegant. We went to their quick service there and I had the flat bread pizza, which was very good!!! After lunch, sadly, it was time to head home. We live 4 hours south of Disney so on the road we went. Bye bye Mickey! We'll see you soon! Hopefully next time with no fevers and sickness dragging us down!
We went away loving Fort Wilderness and dying to go back. It was such a feeling of calm and peace returning to that resort every day after the happy mania of the parks at Spring Break time. We WILL be back!!!!

LisaBelle

Glad you were able to still have a great time even though Dakota was sick. The shows and activities at Fort Wilderness sound awesome! I really want to try the Hoop de Doo Revue. It looks like so much fun and the food always looks good as well!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Glad you were able to still have a great time even though Dakota was sick. The shows and activities at Fort Wilderness sound awesome! I really want to try the Hoop de Doo Revue. It looks like so much fun and the food always looks good as well!
It is an awesome show!! The food is excellent and the show makes it a wonderful experience!!! (You even get to spin your napkins around your head like at Chef Mickey's!!!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom