Former House of Blues building to be demolished

Darkbeer1

I would be happy if they brought more themed dining to DTD. Me and my family have nothing like that in our whole state, and when we go on vacation we seek unique experiences like this out. We make it a point to go to Rainforest Café anytime we are in any city that has one. We're bummed that the one in Seattle closed. Sure the food isn't great, but it's different and fun. My kids love it, and I'm like a kid myself, so I do too.

OK, going down the list of Themed Restaurants, here is what is in the area...

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company - Anaheim GardenWalk

Medieval Times - Buena Park

Outback Steakhouse - Garden Grove

Pirate's Dinner Adventure - Buena Park

D

Deleted member 107043

They built a 300 space valet lot because that's how many cars they thought would show up for valet to go to failed supper club concepts like Y Arriba Y Arriba (that barely lasted a year) and swanky date nights.

I see, you're assuming Disney was hoping for a more well heeled crowd at DTD based on the large capacity valet parking lot. Makes sense.

Darkbeer1

I see, you're assuming Disney was hoping for a more well heeled crowd at DTD based on the large capacity valet parking lot. Makes sense.

Yes, look at DCA in 2001, lack of kids stuff, and a focus on more adult things. Eateries like Wolfgang Puck, Robert Mondavi, Soap Opera Bistro, the focus was on upscale meals and customers, and well, that didn't match up with the Disneyland Park crowd that was the bulk of the business.

NobodyElse

Yes, look at DCA in 2001, lack of kids stuff, and a focus on more adult things. Eateries like Wolfgang Puck, Robert Mondavi, Soap Opera Bistro, the focus was on upscale meals and customers, and well, that didn't match up with the Disneyland Park crowd that was the bulk of the business.

My idea after the first month or so of DCA's existence was to let Mondavi (and perhaps Puck) try to do more large group events. Work it sort of like Club 33, where park admission is included, but maybe limit it to an hour or two prior to reservations. At least it would have given the park more exposure to the clientele they were hoping for.

TP2000

Original Poster

It's not just an assumption. I learned this, including the fact that they built what is now Lilo lot as the massive parking lot for valet parked cars and the DTD shuttle bus drop-off zones, from a very well placed person in Orange County real estate and property management circles. The assumptions Disney had about DTD around 1999-2000 and what actually happened with DTD once it opened in 2001 was the talk of the town in that business circle, and that Disney had misjudged the market so spectacularly bad at that time became an even bigger story with that circle in '01.

While us online Disney fans were focused on DCA's spectacular failure in 2001, the local real estate investment community was focused on how badly Disney misjudged the Downtown Disney demographics and business model in 2001.

Even though there was a small recession in 2000-01, tiny compared to 2008-10, and the post 9/11 tourism dip. When the local economy roared back in the mid 2000's with skyrocketing real estate and everyone in SoCal turning their house into a giant ATM (except us smart folks in Villa Park), the Downtown Disney demographic never morphed into the luxe local big spenders they'd hoped to attract in 2000. It just stayed stuck at AP's using the free parking and maybe buying a Haagen-Dazs on the stroll back to the car, to tourists grazing at Rainforest Cafe and maybe buying a build-a-bear or Ridemakerz car.

The closing of House of Blues seems to be a turning point for Downtown Disney. If Darkbeer is correct and they are ending valet parking entirely, that's a huge warning sign flashing. It's become an ice-cream and window-shopping mall that is in growing need of a full cosmetic update and cultural rethink.

SSG

Some Clever Clogs on the MiceChat forums think a Pandora jewelry store will take over the HOB space. :rolleyes:

I could weep (if I wept).

Stevek

Not to mention the kangaroo pictures.
I may live in Oregon, but I think we have an Outback or two around.
We have several around us. I would never go to one, or a Sizzler, for a steak. I either make my own or end up going to a Flemings/Mortons/Ruths Cris if I want a good (albiet high priced) steak. I just don't do that often. But I'm sure folks like it.

westie

Although my wife cheered for Pandora I'm still inclined to a blooming onion. Never had one but sounds enticing in that Disney fried food type of way that you regret later.

SSG

I'm saddened, but not at all surprised. So many threads there are like trying to have a conversation with a group of developmentally disabled kittens.
Bless.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom