Former House of Blues building to be demolished

TP2000

Original Poster
Disney has filed permits with the city to demolish the entire House of Blues building at Downtown Disney. The basement will remain, but everything above ground will be removed. Demolition should begin later this month. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/house-728735-blues-disney.html

Disney has not announced what the replacement or tenant will be for that space.

IMG_3356-1024x683.jpg

A reminder that there is also a large expansion pad just to the north of House of Blues, originally slated to become a DisneyQuest that was never built.

Last edited:

brb1006

The Chicken tenders on a stick were delicious. Is there any other place at WDW that has chicken tenders and fries that good?

D

Deleted member 107043

I can't believe that Disney is destroying such an architectural masterpiece.

In all seriousness I liked having the HOB on the property because as a vacationer I find that there's a real lack of nighttime activities in Anaheim near the Resort. The venue's lineup was strong and I often found shows that appealed to me, but there's no way I'm hiking over to the AGW ghost town from DLR to see an act perform there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the new tenant fills the gap.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

Original Poster
Good riddance. Hope they replace it with something actually good.

Agreed. I ate there twice in the last 15 years, both times were horrible. The clientele for the House of Blues every other time I've been at Downtown Disney ranged from drunken corporate conventioneers at private parties, to foul-mouthed and greasy looking punks going to/from a Social Distortion concert. Neither of those demographics work well with Disneyland.

I hope they replace it with a Splitsville, maybe an upscale mini golf restaurant thing, or some sort of family dining/entertainment option. There's probably something more creative than that, but you get the idea. It should be a place where parents with children don't have to be worried as they walk by.

Californian Elitist

Agreed. I ate there twice in the last 15 years, both times were horrible. The clientele for the House of Blues every other time I've been at Downtown Disney ranged from drunken corporate conventioneers at private parties, to foul-mouthed and greasy looking punks going to/from a Social Distortion concert. Neither of those demographics work well with Disneyland.

I hope they replace it with a Splitsville, maybe an upscale mini golf restaurant thing, or some sort of family dining/entertainment option. There's probably something more creative than that, but you get the idea. It should be a place where parents with children don't have to be worried as they walk by.

Not only this, but the food isn't that great either.

D

Deleted member 107043

Seems like Disney could just build its own music hall and book touring acts without having to lease space in DTD or Disney Springs to a chain like HOB. It's the world's largest media company and both resorts obviously have an existing teams of people who are qualified to book entertainers.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seems like Disney could just build its own music hall and book touring acts without having to lease space in DTD or Disney Springs to a chain like HOB. It's the world's largest media company and both resorts obviously have an existing teams of people who are qualified to book entertainers.

You assume Disney wants to actually invest and do the work.. Disney would rather other people do the work and Disney just makes the rules and collects their cut of the action.

TP2000

Original Poster
This is very interesting. I'm surprised Disney didn't choose to re-purpose the building. Must be a big project!

Agree that they must be up to something big.

But then again, this was a custom built theater facility. It had a small restaurant and bar on the front, but the bulk of the building was designed as a theater facility that would be very hard to repurpose or remodel into a normal restaurant.

Helloooooo Anaheim! How you feelin' tonight?!

10376942_10152410794885831_6626383454436782396_n.jpg

It's probably easier and cheaper for Disney as the leasing agent to just bulldoze this thing and start over for a big new concept.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

...maybe an upscale mini golf restaurant thing, or some sort of family dining/entertainment option.

By the way, I'd be okay with "an upscale mini golf restaurant thing" of some sort, but it would have to be very cool (and at least meet the expectations of my faded memory of the former mini golf course not far from there).

A jumping-off point for inspiration might be the course on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. As a kid, I also recall heading out to some exotic locale (like Montclair or Fontana) where there was a facility that had two outdoor courses, two indoor courses, and one on the roof. I'm sure something unique could be thought-up for DTD. (Just please, please, please, nothing like one of those "Monster" courses.)

GrizzlyAdams

If they're building a bowling alley, partner with the Coen Brothers and make a Lebowski Lanes. Theme it to the Big Lehowski and it will be a new Mecca that millions will travel to, though not really Disney folk...

Phroobar

If they're building a bowling alley, partner with the Coen Brothers and make a Lebowski Lanes. Theme it to the Big Lehowski and it will be a new Mecca that millions will travel to, though not really Disney folk...
Do we really need THOSE kind of people at Disneyland? ;)
Sounds like a better idea for Six Flags.

SSG

If Disney is trying drive locals to hang out in DTD, I guess Splitsville might help with that, but I think this has limited appeal to guests staying on-site. If I’m at the resort, I’m in the parks; I’m not leaving to shoot pool or knock down pins. If I told my nieces we were leaving Disneyland to go bowling I don’t think I’d have made it out alive.

Darkbeer1

OK, alas, if you ask internally about Downtown Disney to those in the know, and they will tell you, Disney has been disappointed ever since it opened.

Of course, it has had its hits, especially the World of Disney, but that store hits the market base perfectly

Restaurants started off mixed, and even today is still having issues. (Look at House of Blues, and even ESPN Zone, which is a failed concept kept alive to keep something in the space that breaks even/makings a bit in profit). Rainforest Café works since it is a themed Restaurant and matches the visitors.

And the retail has also been not that great, with many concepts closing down in the Shoppertainment Center.

I think the first big issue, locals were not interested to attend, due to the traffic issues, and parking issues, plus parking limits. Most Shoppertainment malls in California do not charge for parking. It just wasn't a place locals wanted to visit, so the original stores focused on them failed.

Park Visitors tend to be tired at the end of the night, and just interested in heading back to their Hotel Room and not shopping. Plus they did a lot of it inside the theme parks all day.

And then the security checks didn't help, as it makes it a pain for those staying at the Harbor Blvd Hotels/Motels to shop/dine.

Look at the current Disney Solution, rent another location to Starbucks. Once again, not a major profit location, but it does fill the space.

So currently, Disney is operating it as the poor step-child, can't get rid of it, but no real desire to invest in it.

Remember, Disney has just announced that they are getting rid of the Downtown Disney parking area (and maybe a couple of its locations) to build the new 4th, Hotel, where they see a good money making opportunity.

Think of the Main Street Cinema, Disney knows they can't get rid of it, it doesn't cause much to run, but it does add to the total package. And that is how Downtown Disney is run today, find business that will pay the lease to cover the costs of operating the mall, make its money on the World of Disney, and keep the Hotel Guests happy as a place to walk through.

And if you look at the Anaheim GardenWalk, same issue, they found that tourists/conventioneers were looking for a nice sit down meal, so those places on Katella made money since opening, and still make money today.

But most of the shops failed due to the average visitor, many were hoping for more locals, and once again, locals had no desire to deal with the traffic, and then have to pay for parking. The quick serve restaurants basically all failed.

So what is next for DtD and the former House of Blues location, well, doubt it will be DisneyQuest;) Maybe Soap Opera Bistro (former DCA eatery). Maybe they can get Wolfgang Puck or Robert Mondavi to open up a location...

But look at what has been successful in the area, and that is the Outlets of Orange. Alas, Disney isn't interested in Outlet Shopping, they want full priced items.

So you have a restaurant/entertainment location more than likely, but who would want to move in there?

Doubt Disney has a great idea, the Regional Entertainment division has closed down. So about the only motivation would be the costs of building the new facility could be used as a credit to the amount promised to the city of Anaheim in improvements.

So maybe just a placeholder for a while, until they get ready for the 4th Hotel, and start moving things around.

Or move the Movie Theaters and open that up for future parking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom