For those with lactose intolerance...

danitaytay

Original Poster
So I was quite literally diagnosed with severe lactose intolerance yesterday, and found out that my doctor wants me completely off of dairy for the next 2 months before I can start taking lactaid. Fortunately for me, our Disney trip falls in late April, so I can take lactaid, but of course I'll still be in some discomfort so while I will take it to splurge on some of the ice cream treats and whatnot, I was wondering if anyone has had experience in the restaurants dealing with lactose intolerance?
Has anyone ever asked the chefs to use soy or almond milk instead of regular milk, etc. say if I were to order a milkshake?
Thanks so much!

Mukta

Honestly, I gave up stuff like ice cream and milkshakes a long time ago. It just wasn't worth the pain. I can eat dole whips and other treats, so I focus on that.

I know that Disney chefs are very accommodating, so I hope you have good luck asking.

DizneyPryncess

I was diagnosed after I had my daughter 4 years ago - so weird since I had never had problems with it before. It just came on out of nowhere! I've been to Disney several times with it. I've always let the restaurants know, and sometimes the chef has come out to talk to me about substitutes. They're wonderfully accommodating with food issues. I've never asked about soy milk or almond milk for milkshakes, but please let me know what they say about that! I have had a soy cheese spread substitute in Disney, and it was great. I would recommend talking to your server and the chef, and see what they come up with.

PrincessRachelT

Disney is the best at accomadations! I always note it in my reservation, and most of the time, a chef comes out to tell me what I can and can't have (even at buffets) and how they can change something if that's what I really want. They also have menus that will tell you quickly what food is good for which allergy.

The only issue I have is that at quick service restaurants, a good portion of the time, they won't give you the allergy menu until you get to the order counter, meaning you literally have to wait until it's your turn to order, and you hold the line up. They do have dairy free pizza though! They made the pepperoni look like Mickey! Which I was super happy to eat :)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Honestly, I gave up stuff like ice cream and milkshakes a long time ago. It just wasn't worth the pain. I can eat dole whips and other treats, so I focus on that.

I know that Disney chefs are very accommodating, so I hope you have good luck asking.
^^^^^This just have your parents note it on your ADRs and make sure to tell the cashier at qs places before ordering. Good luck and there are many df options at both Disney and your local supermarket

danitaytay

Original Poster

Thanks so much! I plan on giving up most things just because I know it's going to make me feel better, but I figured I'd have one last hurrah in Disney :D

danitaytay

Original Poster
I was diagnosed after I had my daughter 4 years ago - so weird since I had never had problems with it before. It just came on out of nowhere! I've been to Disney several times with it. I've always let the restaurants know, and sometimes the chef has come out to talk to me about substitutes. They're wonderfully accommodating with food issues. I've never asked about soy milk or almond milk for milkshakes, but please let me know what they say about that! I have had a soy cheese spread substitute in Disney, and it was great. I would recommend talking to your server and the chef, and see what they come up with.

That's so weird, because that's exactly how it was for me! I've had GI problems for years, but now at age 17 [almost 18] they finally diagnose me with lactose intolerance?! Thank you so much! I'm glad to know there are definitely alternatives for some things :)

danitaytay

Original Poster
Disney is the best at accomadations! I always note it in my reservation, and most of the time, a chef comes out to tell me what I can and can't have (even at buffets) and how they can change something if that's what I really want. They also have menus that will tell you quickly what food is good for which allergy.

The only issue I have is that at quick service restaurants, a good portion of the time, they won't give you the allergy menu until you get to the order counter, meaning you literally have to wait until it's your turn to order, and you hold the line up. They do have dairy free pizza though! They made the pepperoni look like Mickey! Which I was super happy to eat :)

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks so much! I think one of the hardest things to give up is pizza, lol! So it's good to know I have an option now.

danitaytay

Original Poster
^^^^^This just have your parents note it on your ADRs and make sure to tell the cashier at qs places before ordering. Good luck and there are many df options at both Disney and your local supermarket

Thanks so much! We're going to edit our ADRs today to make sure they say that and heading to the grocery store this weekend to pick up all the dairy free ice cream I can find ;)

DizneyPryncess

That's so weird, because that's exactly how it was for me! I've had GI problems for years, but now at age 17 [almost 18] they finally diagnose me with lactose intolerance?! Thank you so much! I'm glad to know there are definitely alternatives for some things :)

Yep, it's crazy how it can just develop! That makes it so difficult too because you have to give up foods you have always had on the spot. I haven't tried lactaid, because the stomach pains are so severe for me I'm too afraid. Someday I will work up the courage and try dairy again with lactaid. Hopefully it works!

dreamfinder

WDW is very accommodating for dietary needs. As mentioned, for TS make sure it is listed on your ADR, and then check again with the hostess stand when you arrive at the restaurant. If the restaurant has one of the new(ish) allergy menus, then they should give you that which covers most major allergies, gluten, dairy, nuts, etc. If they don't have one of those menus, or you have a less common allergy the chef should come out and go over your options or walk you through the buffet. At a CS tell the cashier, and they will usually have you speak with a manager, or bring out "the book" (contains ingredients for everything in each dish). Your wait may be longer depending on what is involved with making sure your food is safe. To get an idea of what WDW can offer you, check out this blog -> http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/

Bairstow

The biggest bummer of developing lactose intolerance when I was a kid was that pizza tends to be the default food option when schools or clubs need to feed a large group of teenagers.
Never really had a problem at Disney World, but rather than asking chefs to modify recipes or look into their kitchens for dairy alternatives I just scan the menu for stuff that isn't going to have cream or cheese to begin with. Asian cuisines, fortunately, are largely dairy-free, so you can enjoy pretty much everything without even having to worry about the pills.

And the standard Dole Whip is completely dairy free!! :)

Yep. Dole Whip is, but the Citrus Swirl is NOT, so head the location nearest to the Tiki Room exit.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I will take it to splurge on some of the ice cream treats and whatno

lactiad aside, I've gotten to the point where I won't even have an ice cream treat - the end result (so to speak), is far too severe for me to take a chance on. Sadly, my diet has become much more restricted as I got older, but I still enjoy my time, infact more so because I avoid anything that will cause complications during my time there :)

danitaytay

Original Poster
Yep, it's crazy how it can just develop! That makes it so difficult too because you have to give up foods you have always had on the spot. I haven't tried lactaid, because the stomach pains are so severe for me I'm too afraid. Someday I will work up the courage and try dairy again with lactaid. Hopefully it works!

Dang, I'm so sorry! I tried lactaid for the first time the other day with some cheese, still unfortunately had a stomach aid. But my mom told me she grew out of her intolerance after 20 years so hopefully there'll be a point where I do too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom