Trip Report * Completed* For the First Time In Forever We'll Have Magic, We'll Have Fun

Hello @Longers @Doc Disney @prfctlyximprct @Tuvalu and my fellow Disney fanatics. Welcome to my 2016 Princess 5K Trip Report!

Who: Me (Lisa) and my younger sister, Tina
When: February 17 -22, 2016
Where: The Poly!
Why: 2015 sucked and we were in desperate need of the magic and protection of the Disney Bubble. And oh yeah, my 50th Birthday!!

How this trip came about:
In December of 2014 my sister suggested that we do something, just the two of us, to celebrate my 50th birthday. Knowing that she loves Disney as much as I do, I suggested a Disney trip. I'd been reading lots of runDisney trip reports so we decided that it would be fun to run in the Princess 5K. Tina had run in a few 5Ks, but until we came up with this idea I had never run a 5K in my life.
Right away I went into planning mode and started researching resorts and planning our tentative itinerary.
Then, in April of 2015 our mom, who has dementia, became very ill and needed surgery followed by a lengthy stay in a skilled nursing facility. At the end of April our dad, who was our mom's primary caregiver, had a sudden loss of his short term memory. Tina and I began taking 24 hour shifts of staying with and caring for our dad. As our mom improved, our dad declined and he passed away at the end of June. The remainder of 2015 was a blur of finding an assisted living community for our mom, clearing out & selling our mom & dad's home and dealing with all the other details that go along with that.
Throughout all of this, the thought of our Disney trip lifted our spirits and kept us going. We decided that along with celebrating my birthday, our trip would also be a celebration of our dad and our wonderful family of four.

Here is a photograph of our family on our first trip to Walt Disney World in the early 1980's.

This is one of our favorite family photographs. Tina was not happy that they put her in that sailor suit, but she was a good sport and smiled anyway!

While we were cleaning out our mom & dad's house we found a box containing all of the maps, pamphlets, guide books, and our mom's notes for every family vacation we took.
We were super excited to find these:

Up next: Our trip begins!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Love the vegetable boat ride! I highly recommend running in a runDisney race. It was one of the best things I've ever done. I became interested in running a race after reading runDisney TRs, started training and voila! Thanks for reading!

Disney-leaf

Still really enjoying your TR! I am just about to write about Harry Potter World in mine :) I'm sad I didn't hear Moaning Myrtle though!! :cry: That would have been great!!

Jae99

I agree with you about locker situation at Universal. My wife and I spent a week at Cabana Bay in January and enjoyed a leisurely week at the Universal Parks. The WWoHP areas were incredible and we found that many areas of both parks were very well themed.

I loved both versions of the Butterbeer, but was also disappointed in the ice cream as well.

By far the most frustrating part of some of the attractions was having to find a locker. I am not sure why they wouldn't have made the locker areas much larger and spacious.

Really enjoying your TR and looking forward to following along with the rest of your adventure.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Still really enjoying your TR! I am just about to write about Harry Potter World in mine :) I'm sad I didn't hear Moaning Myrtle though!! :cry: That would have been great!!
Looking forward to hearing what you thought about WWoHP. It was really fun to hear Moaning Myrtle. Very unexpected which made it all the more fun!
I agree with you about locker situation at Universal. My wife and I spent a week at Cabana Bay in January and enjoyed a leisurely week at the Universal Parks. The WWoHP areas were incredible and we found that many areas of both parks were very well themed.

I loved both versions of the Butterbeer, but was also disappointed in the ice cream as well.

By far the most frustrating part of some of the attractions was having to find a locker. I am not sure why they wouldn't have made the locker areas much larger and spacious.

Really enjoying your TR and looking forward to following along with the rest of your adventure.
Thanks so much for following. I tried the Butterbeer on our 2014 trip and liked the frozen one best. I was sad I didn't get any this trip but I figured all that sugar wouldn't do much for my stomach. Plus I was saving room for the ice cream which was a disappointment.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
I loved your trip report! Also a shout-out to you since we are basically neighbors. I'm from the Liberty Twp area of Cincinnati!
Thanks for reading! I loved your report as well. I live on the east side of Cincinnati near Amelia. I graduated from Lakota High School (back in the day when it was only one high school) so I am quite familiar with Liberty Twp.

kk0311

Thank you for sharing your Trip Report! I started crying from the 1st post! We are going to celebrate my hubby's 50th the week of Thanksgiving!! We are staying at the Beach Club (Concierge)!!
(Bucket List)

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Sending along some pixie dust to your mom and you. I hope her health issues get resolved soon.
Thanks so much. Dementia is an ugly disease. :( Looking forward to getting back to my TR as it helps me forget about the real world and re-live the magic of Disney.

Love reading your TR! I would love to go to Disney with just my sisters. What an amazing idea! You two definitely look like you had such a wonderful time making so many memories together! How wonderful.
Thanks for reading. We had an amazing time and loved every minute. I highly recommend a sister's only trip. Hope it will happen for you one day. :)

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Thinking of you. My grandma is currently suffering from horrible dementia.. it's such a horrible disease.. The most priceless treasures we can have in this life are our memories.
So sorry to hear that your family is going through similar things with your grandma :(. My heart goes out to you. You are so right about our memories being our most priceless treasures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom