For all you Eisner Haters!

barnum42

askmike1 - Out of curiosity, what is your connection with Eisner? The time and effort you are putting in to defend him almost borders on religious devotion.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
"Euro Disney" was built in the wrong location FACT!! It was sighted in a country with little tolerance of anything not French (though you could level that at the US), it is over priced, it should have been built in Spain to take advantage of better weather, both parks have opened with too few attractions. There are very few original attractions, though a couple are improvements on their inspiration.
Movies are IMHO running at 1 good one for every two OK and three stinkers. Not bothered about the straight to video concept either way, however many people no longer hold Disney in such high regard in animation as competitors have out performed and cheap n nasty looking and poorly written add ons are pumped out to subsidies what ever current favoured project is promoted.

Ive never met mike so i have to go on what i see read and hear in the media. The Guy comes across as a bit of a tommy tank so the chances are he is indeed a tommy tank.

askmike1

barnum42 said:
askmike1 - Out of curiosity, what is your connection with Eisner? The time and effort you are putting in to defend him almost borders on religious devotion.
No connection whatsoever, I've never met him in my life. Also, the amount of time I defend him is no more than the amount of time others bash him.

-Michael

General Grizz

askmike1 said:
Lets see...Soarin', Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest, Disneyland Facelift, Philharmagic, ESPN, Lost, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lilo and Stitch, Mission:Space, Animal Kingdom (perhaps the most immensly themed theme park), Sixth Sense, Armageddon, Tarzan, Signs, I could go on but I'll stop now.

So we have WDI to blame for SGE and Eisner to congratulate for the above attractions/films?

askmike1

General Grizz said:
So we have WDI to blame for SGE and Eisner to congratulate for the above attractions/films?
No, WDI should get the credit since they made the attractions. However, they should also get the blame for failed rides. That said, why shouldn't Eisner get credit? He greenlit the projects, he provides the budgets (sometimes large, sometimes small). Someone said on a different thread a while ago that 'A CEO must take all the blame.' If that's true, a CEO must also take all the credit. Did any of that make sense?

-Michael

General Grizz

Okay... so knowing Eisner provides budget, we know that SGE originally had one of 25 million, but was cut under his policies by accountants to 10 million. Is this, perhaps, to blame for the poor attraction?

WDI takes care of the story, Eisner takes care of the budget. But with WDI being thinned out, how is the storymaking process being improved?

JIYI would have never happened with a high budget..
Philharmagic's chairs wouldn't be ripped if there was a high budget..
Decaying train stations (that can only be painted) wouldn't be rotting if there was a high budget..

Assuming that Eisner gets credit...

askmike1

General Grizz said:
Okay... so knowing Eisner provides budget, we know that SGE originally had one of 25 million, but was cut under his policies by accountants to 10 million. Is this, perhaps, to blame for the poor attraction?
First I would just like to say that everything is up to personal opinion. I for one like the new JIYA over the old one (although I hated the second incarnation). I won't be able to see SGE until this summer so I can't and won't call it a bad attraction.

That said, I agree that budgets are a problem, but it's only half the problem. Example: I give 1000 to two design teams to make-over a room (unlike Trading Spaces, there are no other limits). One team blows off all the money on one artistic picture. The other spreads it out evenly through paint, decorations, and misc. items. Both had the exact same budget, but the second design team will make the better room.

Is Eisner partially at fault for some Less than Perfect attractions, yes. I think the biggest mistake he made was making the Strategic Planning dept (which thankfully, Iger is removing). The people in these departments are almost always the problem.

-Michael

General Grizz

askmike1 said:
First I would just like to say that everything is up to personal opinion. I for one like the new JIYA over the old one (although I hated the second incarnation). I won't be able to see SGE until this summer so I can't and won't call it a bad attraction.

But attendance at Imagination is one of the worst at Epcot. Guests are not drawn back, reception is low.

SGE has had more complaints than any other MK attraction... not sure if it surpassed JIYI, which had more complaints than any other WDW attraction.

So it is a bit beyond personal opinion.

I agree with you about Strategic Planning... cross your fingers!

askmike1

General Grizz said:
But attendance at Imagination is one of the worst at Epcot. Guests are not drawn back, reception is low.
I think once Soarin' officially opens, attendance will go up. As it stands, you have Dyanamic Duo of Mission: Space and Test Track (which always has at least a 90 min wait) on the opposite side. The Imagination side really doesn't have any big crowd-drawing attractions. Outside of the Imagination institute, you have a big aquarium (with the only attraction in it being Crush) and an unofficially opened Land (which prior to Soarin' had no major attractions). With a possible wait to get inside the pavillion, people will probably be going to Imagination.

-Michael

General Grizz

askmike1 said:
I think once Soarin' officially opens, attendance will go up. As it stands, you have Dyanamic Duo of Mission: Space and Test Track (which always has at least a 90 min wait) on the opposite side. The Imagination side really doesn't have any big crowd-drawing attractions. Outside of the Imagination institute, you have a big aquarium (with the only attraction in it being Crush) and an unofficially opened Land (which prior to Soarin' had no major attractions). With a possible wait to get inside the pavillion, people will probably be going to Imagination.

-Michael
That's a possibility, but it will not increase the low levels of guest reception.

Number_6

Hey guys, I just wanted to say thank you for making this an actual discussion and not one of the all-too-frequent "Because I say so and you're an idiot for disagreeing with me" threads. It's very nice, refreshing even. If only more people on these boards would carry on debates and discussions like this, I think we would all find our experiences here even more magical. Thanks again guys. :sohappy:

Mr. Eggz

askmike1 said:
Roy is a billionaire. How much of his money did he reinvest in the company?
-Michael

Roy's family holds more TWDC stock than anyone else...including the Basses who have significantly more billions than Roy.

Mr. Eggz

askmike1 said:
First I would just like to say that everything is up to personal opinion. I for one like the new JIYA over the old one (although I hated the second incarnation).
-Michael

JIYA stands for Journey into YOUR Imagination. It is the second incarnation. The third incarnation is Journey into Imaginatio with Figmant.

Mr. Eggz

Askmike1, the reson Bambi II looks so great is that it was created by a small group of traditional animators who used to be feature animators. The group is lead by the brilliant, Andreas Dija. Andreas is featured in "Dream on Silly Dreamer" and has bravely spoken out against Eisner and the Cheapquals (or if you prefer direct-to-landfill). He directed a cheapqual and yet he hates them. He says he's holding out for the day when real traditional animation comes back. He wants to use Bambi II to prove the value of traditional Animation (because it is the only trad film he could get). He also speaks very hightly of Roy E. Disney. So, by all means keep promoting his film. Trust me, most animators don't get their fealings hurt when you critisize the cheapquals. They HATE them! Or at least the three dozon that I know do.

Askmike1, please do not pretend you know what the animators are thinking or feeling until you have at least animated one frame of film. It's offensive for you to support MDE and then take the side of the artists. You do not understand how much that man destroyed their dreams.

Mr. Eggz

askmike1 said:
Disney is a company.

-Michael

Then way do we all spend so much time talking about it. Why do we care? People don't talk this way about any other company. Disney is more than a company...it is a part of American culture...it is a national treasure!

General Grizz

Mr. Eggz said:
Then way do we all spend so much time talking about it. Why do we care? People don't talk this way about any other company. Disney is more than a company...it is a part of American culture...it is a national treasure!
Mind if I quote you on this sometime?

askmike1

Roy's family holds more TWDC stock than anyone else...including the Basses who have significantly more billions than Roy.
I could be wrong (and it happens a lot), but didn't the Bass family pull there stock out of Disney?
JIYA stands for Journey into YOUR Imagination.
My bad. I knew the sign said Journey Into Imagination and it had a little caret in it with a word inserted. EIther way though, I like JIYI better than JII (tomAto, tomato....LMA, LMX).
Askmike1, please do not pretend you know what the animators are thinking or feeling until you have at least animated one frame of film.
My analogy holds true for any occupation. If I made a website for a client that I did not like and somebody critisized how the website looked, I would be angry. Most (I'm not saying all) people get angry when people critisize their hard work.
Then why do we all spend so much time talking about it. Why do we care? People don't talk this way about any other company. Disney is more than a company...it is a part of American culture...it is a national treasure!
Disney isn't just a company, but when it boils down to the bare bones...it's main function is to return a profit. The WDC needs to please it's shareholders and has to do whatever it can to stay in the black. People complain about Disney making cutbacks in some jobs, but fail to realize how much salaries cost Disney. Disney is the 2nd largest employer in the world (second only to the US government).

-Michael

Mr. Eggz

askmike1 said:
Disney isn't just a company, but when it boils down to the bare bones...it's main function is to return a profit. The WDC needs to please it's shareholders and has to do whatever it can to stay in the black. People complain about Disney making cutbacks in some jobs, but fail to realize how much salaries cost Disney. Disney is the 2nd largest employer in the world (second only to the US government).

-Michael

Disney is not the 2nd largest employer in the world. It isn't even in the top 200. That is an absurd statement. WDW is the largest private single site employer in the US. But TWDC falls far short of every major fast food company, WalMart, Target, Time Warner, GE...the list goes on and on.

Personally, I've never critsized Disney for conducting layoffs, only who they choose to lay off and who they choose not to.

...and the Basses sold a large stake in Disney in OCt. 2001 but they still own a sizable chunck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom