For a land most originally said they weren't interested in ................

Tiki Queen of Outer Space

2.5 years of actual construction
this will be a little over 3 years
i dont disagree with you that disney takes too long but lets be accurate on timelines
Ok lets get down to dates then
Diagon Alley
-Announcement: December 6, 2011
-Ground Breaking: January 3, 2012
-Opening: July 3, 2014

Pandora
-Announcement: September 2011
-Ground Breaking: January 10, 2014
-Opening: May 27, 2017

They were announced within three months of each other but there is a whopping three year gap between the two.

twebber55

Diagon Alley

Pandora

They were announced within three months of each other but there is a whopping three year gap between the two.
yep looks like my numbers are/were right

SpectroMan93

Well, considering they had only just broke ground 3 years ago, that's a bit unfair. Though from what I've seen, you've been pretty unfair with your judgement of this land from the beginning, and instead of constructive discussion, you've made rude and tasteless remarks designed to rile people up on this board.

Diagon Alley

Pandora

Though you also have to realize, when Avatar was announced, nothing beyond concept artwork was complete. No ride designs were even started at that point. When they announced both Harry Potter areas, they announced when they already had their designs in place. Disney just announced Avatar too early. Diagon took most likely the same amount of time, they just announced it later so it seemed like a faster process.

I'm still not a fan of the film, but the models and art at D23 were what got me excited. And to top it off Joe Rhode was there, SO HYPED! I couldn't help but get excited at that point :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Though you also have to realize, when Avatar was announced, nothing beyond concept artwork was complete. No ride designs were even started at that point. When they announced both Harry Potter areas, they announced when they already had their designs in place. Disney just announced Avatar too early. Diagon took most likely the same amount of time, they just announced it later so it seemed like a faster process.

Looks like Universal ended up taking the Avatar approach with the Nintendo announcement, announcing it well before they are ready to build.

Casper Gutman

Looks like Universal ended up taking the Avatar approach with the Nintendo announcement, announcing it well before they are ready to build.

The announcement was about three lands in three parks (USH, USO, and USJ) and I believe they are beginning construction very soon in Japan (and I think the current goal for USF is 2019, but I may be wrong).

Rteetz

The announcement was about three lands in three parks (USH, USO, and USJ) and I believe they are beginning construction very soon in Japan (and I think the current goal for USF is 2019, but I may be wrong).
Jim Hill said 2020 for Orlando as they could capitalize on Disney not having any major projects that year.

Casper Gutman

Jim Hill said 2020 for Orlando as they could capitalize on Disney not having any major projects that year.

I could see that, although it leaves a gap at Uni in 2019 - they've been doing an attraction yearly for a bit. I half expect them to announce their third gate will be open in 2021 to step on Disney's 50th. I like theme park competition - as long as Uni's hotels stay "affordable"!

Magic Feather

The funny thing is (IMO) is that that is the year that Disney plans on opening its attraction that would appeal most to the (stereotypical) Universal demographic, while Universal appeals to the (stereotypical) Disney demographic.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Ok so when it opens I think we all know there'll be some falling over each other to say how bad it is and how right they were to say it would be garbage originally. And to even things up, if it is terrible I'm sure there'll be some saying otherwise.

However what's a realistic time frame to judge how successful this land is, a few weeks, 6 months or a full year? Also what would constitute a success, a purely financial return, the quality of the land or just how busy it is number wise? Also do overseas visitors count as many don't count box office takings for the film in China for some bizarre reason :rolleyes:

L.C. Clench

The only measures that matters are body counts and dollars spent. In terms of time frames the timing is interesting to kick off with summer vacations so I'd be curious what each quarter of the first year looks like. Does it cause a bigger summer crush?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom