FOOD TRUCKS

D

Deleted member 107043

Those sound delicious. Looks like they're aligning with the gourmet food truck program at DTD at WDW.

SSG

Original Poster
BrewWings has a fried chicken tenders with fried waffle basket so they can have all my money.

brewwings_chicken_and_waffles2016.jpg

SSG

Original Poster
Dos Chinos does a fusion of Mexican/Asian tacos and burritos. The filling options are entirely acceptable to me.

SANTANA CHICKEN
Vietnamese chimichurri chicken, carmelized onions, & sweet peppers

HOLLYWOOD CHICKEN
Coconut panang curry chicken, fried yams, tamarind, & cabbage

WESTMINSTER CARNITAS
Vietnamese Pork Butt Carnitas, Cabbage, Pineapple, Pickled Carrot and Diakon, Southeast Asian Salsa Verde, Onion and Cilantro

BOLSA PORK BELLY
5 spiced roast pork belly, pickled daikon & carrots, cabbage

DOS CHINOS ASADA
Vietnamese chimichurri Angus beef

OAHU SHRIMP
Garlic shrimp, pineapple, crema, & cabbage

IRVINE SHRIMP
Dulche De Leche, Chili Lime Roasted Walnuts, Cabbage,

Stevek

BrewWings is great, and the Habit is a well known chain in SoCal that is also great. Not familiar with the third one, but variety in DTD only helps.
Love The Habit, kinda surprised that they are doing this and not sure I'd be so happy if I were a current DTD tenant

Stevek

Those sound delicious. Looks like they're aligning with the gourmet food truck program at DTD at WDW.
The Habit isn't exactly gourmet, a significant step up from standard fast food, but not gourmet. The other two are definitely what I would expect from food trucks.

D

Deleted member 107043

The Habit isn't exactly gourmet, a significant step up from standard fast food, but not gourmet.

Yeah, my use of gourmet was probably incorrect. I consider any truck that isn't this, and prepares food to order, a gourmet food truck lol.

maxresdefault.jpg

Stevek

It's only weekends in October, so they shouldn't be too upset.
But aren't weekends the busiest? I took one of my daughters down a couple of Saturday's ago and I was surprised how packed it was. Very long waits...so long that we settled for Whitewater Snacks versus any sit down restaurant. If it's failing as bad as some people claim, it must be during the week.

Stevek

Yeah, my use of gourmet was probably incorrect. I consider any truck that isn't this, and prepares food to order, a gourmet food truck lol.

maxresdefault.jpg
But some of those food trucks are soooo good. Brings back memories of my mid teens when I worked for my uncle at his construction sites.

yookeroo

Don't the trucks at WDW offer food found elsewhere at the resort? I guess with everything within walking distance at DLR, it makes sense to offer something different. And I like the choices here. The Habit makes a real good burger, something hard to find at the resort.

Still, trucks that offered corn dogs, Dole whips, skewers etc. would probably work.

TP2000

I'm always frustrated when TDA is like three or four or seven years behind the curve on trendy stuff like this.

I would have been impressed by Sprinkles cupcakes in 2011. In 2016 it's just a single notch above a Starbucks on the hip scale.

Likewise, I would have been impressed by Food Trucks in 2013, because I was won over by the hipster goodness of food trucks during a visit up in Portland (AKA Hipster Capital of America) back in 2011. But now in 2016 food trucks seems like a thing that's a few years too late to be newsworthy. And one of them is run by Habit Burger? There's a Habit Burger near my house in Villa Park, seven miles east of Disneyland, and it's good and I go there once a month. But there's a couple dozen Habit Burgers in affluent neighborhoods all over SoCal. Why not something more original or unique?

If this Food Truck idea was one of the things Christie Fleischer came up with, maybe she's not as hip as Miceage tried to make her out to be. Whatever they were doing in Portland in 2009 isn't a hip thing when it finally arrives at Disneyland in 2016. It's just a nice option to save you from the crap burgers at Tomorrowland Terrace.

Californian Elitist

Likewise, I would have been impressed by Food Trucks in 2013, because I was won over by the hipster goodness of food trucks during a visit up in Portland (AKA Hipster Capital of America) back in 2011. But now in 2016 food trucks seems like a thing that's a few years too late to be newsworthy. And one of them is run by Habit Burger? There's a Habit Burger near my house in Villa Park, seven miles east of Disneyland, and it's good and I go there once a month. But there's a couple dozen Habit Burgers in affluent neighborhoods all over SoCal. Why not something more original or unique?

I was thinking the same thing. Why have a food truck that's a burger chain? It should have been something that started as a good truck and is only a good truck. There are plenty of options.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm always frustrated when TDA is like three or four or seven years behind the curve on trendy stuff like this.

I would have been impressed by Sprinkles cupcakes in 2011. In 2016 it's just a single notch above a Starbucks on the hip scale.

If this Food Truck idea was one of the things Christie Fleischer came up with, maybe she's not as hip as Miceage tried to make her out to be. Whatever they were doing in Portland in 2009 isn't a hip thing when it finally arrives at Disneyland in 2016. It's just a nice option to save you from the crap burgers at Tomorrowland Terrace.

No shade intended, but one could argue that's a feature of the Southern California bubble and the Hollywood-centric nature of the entertainment industry that dominates the region. In the past few decades LA and OC counties always seem to be playing catch-up on global and national trends when it comes to urban style and hip-ness.

SSG

Original Poster

Yeah there are tons of food truck options, but I'm guessing Disney isn't trying to be an innovator here. Disney just wants to offer decent, basic grub. It sounds like these particular trucks have brand recognition with the locals, so that could draw some APer's over on their next visit. And the offerings aren't overly gourmet or 'foodie'--burgers, wings and tacos--so out-of-town guests won't be put off. It's a safe choice. The Disney Way on many things these days.

Travel Junkie

No shade intended, but one could argue that's a feature of the Southern California bubble and the Hollywood-centric nature of the entertainment industry that dominates the region. In the past few decades LA and OC counties always seem to be playing catch-up on global and national trends when it comes to urban style and hip-ness.

At least in the instances TP talks about, So Cal started the trend. Sprinkles is an LA brand and Hollywood is responsible for the cupcake trend beginning. The food truck craze really took off in LA. A lot of talented chefs did not have enough money to open a restaurant in So Cal and turned to food trucks and creating a higher end food truck product then what was the traditional truck that came around at lunch time.

Phroobar

I hear food trucks are actually owned by the mafia. They rent the trucks to people under conditions that they are the food suppliers.

westie

To me food trucks lower the appeal of Disney. I am a fan of roach coaches. The best burrito in town comes from a roach coach but, I don't want to see that on my vacation. My apologize to those that bring their own food but, the wife and I are Disney foodies and plan our trips around meals. Steakhouse 55, Uva Bar and Trader Sam's are our go to's. Food trucks just take away from the glory that is Disney imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom