Food stuck in Trachea? :(

dave&di

Original Poster
That's it? No CT? No nothing? How does he know it is "just irritation" without any pictures??? Best guess? I'd think they'd do a CT, just to be sure. Jeez. Not very thorough.

I bet an ER would have done a CT.

But it's probably nothing. The odds of it being something are so small. :)
I know! Even a prescription for cough mixture would have been something! At least I can relax a bit now I know it's unlikely I'm about to drop dead but would love this sore throat and "lumpy" feeling to ease up!

Susannahz

Hi guys,

Can I bend your ears please.

Last night I ate some mince and I felt like a piece got stuck, not in my throat, but the flappy bit (trachea ?) 24 hours later I can still feel it constantly, more so when I swallow, I'm not in pain just discomfort, I've tried coughing and gargling water. Is this possible? What can I do, I'm get a bit anxious as I can forget about as the feelings always there!

Help me please! :(

I realize that this post is years old, but I saw all the replies and decided to help anyone else who googled and found this thread. The only way I fixed it was by throwing up. Here's what happened:
Most doctors will tell you it's not actually stuck but feels like it's stuck. This is not always true. I knew they were wrong because I google and someone said to throw up. I did. It worked. Every time. With IMMEDIATE relief after, so clearly not just a 'feeling' of something getting stuck, but I didn't know why any of this was happening and neither did my PCP so she ordered a barium swallow and an EGD and I finally ended up seeing an ENT to figure out why I was getting things suck in my trachea or larynx. It turns out I have a slow epiglottis. It's the flap that protects your trachea from food. Again, all of the doctors (except the ENT) as well as my doctor friends (I have 3) told me this was impossible and that I would cough it up if it went down the wrong way. Which you do...if everything is working correctly. The barium swallow was interpreted as 'normal' but I knew something wasn't right, so I requested an appointment with an ENT. Apparently it takes hundreds of extra dollars to have your barium swallow read correctly. It was NOT normal. As I said earlier my epiglottis was/is slow. My problem is either caused by laryngopharyngeal reflux and a severe reaction to doxycycline which exacerbated my symptoms. They are still not 100% sure of this diagnosis, and sadly I still get stuff stuck. It still feels UNBELIEVABLY awful and it always takes days to feel better, but it does always feel better. The one way I used to be able to get it out was by throwing up, unfortunately that stopped working after they did the EGD because at the time of procedure they stretched my throat hoping that would solve the dysphasia (problem swallowing). I hope this helps someone. Thanks.

Susannahz

I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably just stuck in your tonsil or in the trachea and will work itself out. I'd give it a few days first. When I had tonsils, I'd get food stuck there all of the time. If you can stand it, it wouldn't hurt to work it out gently with your finger.
How do you do that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom