Food reviews from our 11 Day trip

larandtra

Original Poster
So here are some thoughts on meals during our 11 day stay. Im going to rate each restaurant and give some basic info. Party of 6 using TIW or AP discount at each ( except the Universal restaurant, which we got a discount at because a family member works for Universal.) We like to try a lot of different places to eat at WDW. We have our favorites but on long trips try to change it up. SO here goes:

Boma(breakfast) A+++ I had never done breakfast here and this is one of my go to, and the best dinner buffet on property. But, the breakfast is the best breakfast. Characters or not, having the cultural foods with the typical fare takes this location up a lot of notches above any others. Service is amazing always.

La Hacienda ( Dinner) A++- Second trip here and it has not let me down yet. Great service, excellent authentic food, and the margaritas and Gaucamole. San Angel doesnt hold a candle to La Hacienda.

Ohana ( Breakfast) A+- Second time and again, food is always consistent and service is very good.

Nomad Lounge ( Lunch) A+- This is a nice little find and not very crowded during the day as everyone runs to Pandora. Try it and you wont be disappointed. The Snow Leopard Salvation Drink and Tiffins Bread service are excellent.

Splitsville ( Bowling and dinner)- A+- First Visit So I am sold that this may be one of the best places to eat in Springs. The bowling is fun, but the food is not typical and not at all ordinary.

Toothless Chocolate Factory ( Universal Dinner) A+- First Visit. The food, the chocolate, the food, the chocolate. Great service and well prepared food.

Via Napoli (Dinner) - A+ 5th visit and One of my favorite restaurants in WS. The pizza and the service are always top notch.

ESPN ( Lunch)- A- First time here And while the service wasnt the best, the menu is creative, the beer selection is excellent, and the food was good.

Sutil Canteen- A- First visit. The ease of ordering is nice and the food is consistent. Seating can be tough, but, the green beer is really good and its Terrapin Brewing.

Spice Road- B- First visit. Service was great but the food was not as eclectic as I expected and a couple of dishes were not prepared very well and had to be sent back. Ill give it another chance next time.

Hollywood Brown Derby- B+- Third Visit- Service was below average for this restaurant and the food was not the greatest. We had some issues with almost every dish. I expect a bit more for the price at this restaurant.

Garden Grill ( Lunch) - B+- First visit and it was nice. Food was consistent, service excellent. But, it is a limited menu and a LOT of food. Much better than most "family Style" or Buffets but only a B+. I would go again.

Diamond Horseshoe/ Trails End- Both Dinner, Both first visit. And the last for both. D. A high price to pay for food you can get at Golden Corral with service just as unattentive.

larandtra

Original Poster
Youll love Boma. Be daring and try some of the cultural foods. They are really good and make the breakfast even more of a stand alone experience as opposed to other breakfasts. Akershus and Tusker are the only other ones I can think of that does a breakfast and keeps so much of the cultural flair rather than just the typical stuff.

pax_65

ESPN ( Lunch)- A- First time here And while the service wasnt the best, the menu is creative, the beer selection is excellent, and the food was good.

I haven't been to ESPN in years but a friend recently told me they have Jai Alai IPA on tap which is reason enough to try it again. That is an outstanding IPA from Cigar City Brewing (in Tampa).

Thanks for the reviews. Sorry to hear about Trail's End... that used to be one of our favorites too but the value/quality just isn't there for what they're charging these days. We had the same experience the last time we were there.

21stamps

Are kids allowed in Nomad Lounge? Checked the menu earlier.. I'm not planning on doing a TS at AK.. Harambe Market lunch, Santil Canteen dinner, Nomad lounge could be a perfect add on.

JimW

Premium Member
Are kids allowed in Nomad Lounge? Checked the menu earlier.. I'm not planning on doing a TS at AK.. Harambe Market lunch, Santil Canteen dinner, Nomad lounge could be a perfect add on.

While the wife and I don't have kids, I can confirm that I've seen many children at Nomad Lounge. It's especially great if you can get one of the couch areas outside; they are a delight for adults and children alike. The food is fantastic, and the adult beverages are among the most unique on property.

Honestly, during my first couple of visits, I wasn't sure how well kids would be received there. My uncertainty was unfounded. The servers are all *very* skilled, and are able to balance the experiences for guests of all ages. I'd recommend taking children there.

larandtra

Original Poster
To answer questions: Nomad Lounge is ok for kids. It has indoor and outdoor seating and you can order Apps from Tiffins. They do a great job of catering to families or just adults. The outside seating on couches with a view is absolutely one of the best rest breaks in any park. I wouldnt hesitate to take kids.

ESPN does have some excellent brew choices and the food was very very good. The menu is creative. The Caprese Burger, the Chicken and Waffles. I would say the food is above the typical sportsbar fare. The service is a bit slow, but, they are all nice.

Hollywood Brown Derby: The steak was overcooked, the fish was undercooked. It took quite a while to get our drinks and when we asked if we could get the bread, the waitress almost seemed like we were bothering her. We finally got it and had to ask for butter. I have been to HBD a few times and without a doubt the service and food quality were not good on this trip. Im hoping it was just one fo those days, because it is the only restaurant in the studios we eat at. And while the most expensive, usually the food and service are worth it. Not so on this trip. I just hope it isnt sliding the same way 50s and Sci Fi did.

21stamps

While the wife and I don't have kids, I can confirm that I've seen many children at Nomad Lounge. It's especially great if you can get one of the couch areas outside; they are a delight for adults and children alike. The food is fantastic, and the adult beverages are among the most unique on property.

Honestly, during my first couple of visits, I wasn't sure how well kids would be received there. My uncertainty was unfounded. The servers are all *very* skilled, and are able to balance the experiences for guests of all ages. I'd recommend taking children there.

Great, thanks! I'm a huge fan of lounges at WDW. Mizner's, Territory Lounge, (temporary) Garden View Champagne and Wine Lounge, and Trader Sam's have always been great with my kiddo. I'm going to add this to our list!

Ok well, tbh, Trader Sam's normally has not-so-great service in my experience, but nothing to do with my kid, and the food, drinks, ambiance makes up for it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Hollywood Brown Derby: The steak was overcooked, the fish was undercooked. It took quite a while to get our drinks and when we asked if we could get the bread, the waitress almost seemed like we were bothering her. We finally got it and had to ask for butter. I have been to HBD a few times and without a doubt the service and food quality were not good on this trip. Im hoping it was just one fo those days, because it is the only restaurant in the studios we eat at. And while the most expensive, usually the food and service are worth it. Not so on this trip. I just hope it isnt sliding the same way 50s and Sci Fi did.
Thanks for the follow-up. I've never had a bad experience there, but clearly yours was not up to their usual standards. Did you let management know?

larandtra

Original Poster
We did speak with the manager and he apologized and was very good about it. Due to that and our past experiences there, is why I didnt give it a lower score. As I said, Im hoping it was just a bad day and Ill certainly try it again. To me it really is the only food choice at Studios right now for a sit down meal.

Roknrollrghostr

We did speak with the manager and he apologized and was very good about it. Due to that and our past experiences there, is why I didnt give it a lower score. As I said, Im hoping it was just a bad day and Ill certainly try it again. To me it really is the only food choice at Studios right now for a sit down meal.
HBD used to be one of my "can't miss" restaurants for WDW trips, but it seems like every other trip is off. Food has always been good, but the service has been so wildly inconsistent. It ends up being either the best or worst service of the whole trip. Wrong food, wrong drinks, slow service, we even had the waiter argue with my husband that what he put in front of him was what he ordered when it absolutely wasn't. Or extremely attentive, entertaining and accommodating service that makes it the relaxing experience we'd expect from a signature restaurant. The problem is we never know what we are going to get!

larandtra

Original Poster
Not good to hear about HBD. I hope that on my next trip we eat there the service is back up to the standards and the kitchen isnt having an off night. Because of past encounters, Im more than willing to give it another chance. Im actually trying 50s on the next trip to see if it has improved as much as some of my friends have said. It would give us another option. Usually Ill eat at HBD or walk over to one of the Epcot resort restaurants.

larandtra

Original Poster
My last post reminded me I forgot one, not on purpose but since all we had was dessert, I just left it out. Beaches and Cream...A+ I want to try the food here as I saw dishes coming out and they looked great. The waiter was excellent even in a highly rushed environment. We had the Kitchen Sink which was a lot of fun to eat with a group but I am not sure how too many people can down that thing in a group of less than 5 or 6. Our waiter said he has had single people and couples finish it and groups of 8 not be able to. He also mentioned they took the coffee ice cream out of it because when it melted everything tasted like coffee. I would say between what I saw coming out ( fries, burgers etc) , the desserts, and the service, Ill be eating dinner or lunch here at some point.

danyoung56

HBD used to be one of my "can't miss" restaurants for WDW trips, but it seems like every other trip is off. Food has always been good, but the service has been so wildly inconsistent.

I've experienced exactly the same thing! I last went about a year ago, and our waitress was so slow that it really ruined the meal. Food was fine, but the service was just awful!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom