Trip Report *COMPLETED* Flowers, Family, and ??Fireworks?? (and lots of FOOD): A Memorial Week Trip Report

We are back! I am departing from my usual trip report procedure in that I haven't written the entire thing yet, but am instead posting a bit at a time as I go along. Tonight I am starting with introductions of the cast, since there are some additions who haven't previously appeared in my TRs.

The Cast

The cast of this trip of course includes my wife M and me, Bee. There are three new players, however: M’s mom, dad, and brother, all of whom I consider to be my own family as well! For simplicity I will refer to them as MIL (mother-in-law), FIL (father-in-law), and BIL (brother-in-law because his name starts with M as well! Oh and we all have M last names. Even MIL's maiden name starts with M). A little about each of us:

Bee (me)
Vegetarian, obsessed with Disney, loves seeing Broadway musicals
Married to M for going on two years, honeymooned at WDW
The planner and organizer of the bunch

M (my wife)
Vegetarian, smart and funny, not exactly OBSESSED with Disney like I am but still loves going
Married to me for going on two years, honeymooned at WDW

MIL
Obsessed with Disney and giraffes, loves children
Married to FIL for (almost) 32 years, honeymooned at...you guessed it, WDW!

FIL
Quiet but secretly hilarious, reads all the time, half Italian
Married to MIL for (almost) 32 years, can you tell where we get our Disney obsession??

BIL
Did not get bitten by the Disney bug like the rest of us! Guessing if he gets married he will NOT honeymoon at WDW!

As you can see education is important to this family! It goes back to the previous generation as well because both of M’s grandfathers were university professors; one has a doctorate and the other was ABD when family circumstances prevented him from finishing. In addition, BIL, M, and I all graduated from the HS where FIL is now a guidance counselor (though he worked at a different school while we were are going there) and BIL now teaches there too.

The Plans

Dates
Saturday, May 28-Thursday, June 2 (Me and M)
Saturday, May 28-Monday, May 30 (MIL, FIL, BIL)

Hotel
Pop Century one night, WDW Swan four nights (Me and M)
Two nights offsite in LBV (MIL, FIL, BIL)

Tickets
Annual Passes (Me, M, MIL, FIL)
FL Resident Park Hopper (BIL)

Flights
Southwest Airlines nonstop (Me and M. The others drove as they live 2.5 hours away)

Transportation
DME and Uber (Me and M)
Rental car (MIL, FIL, BIL)

The week before our trip was busy and we didn’t have much time to pack and prepare for the trip. A few days before I finally dragged out the suitcase and started putting things inside, but it wasn’t until the night before we left that we finally got serious about packing. I had rehearsal in Westchester that evening and got home to NJ around 9:30. M had done a lot of work toward packing and we managed to get in bed before midnight for a brief sleep.

We debated whether to bring a large suitcase or a small one and decided on a small one so it wouldn’t be too much trouble to transfer from Pop to the Swan on Sunday. Since the suitcase was small enough we had the option to check it or carry it on. We decided to put the DME tag on it in case we wanted to check it, but to make the final decision in the morning after we saw the line for Southwest bag check. I had been reading TSA horror stories about crazy long wait times and missed flights and I didn’t want to add any unnecessary time to our pre-security time.

Next up: Day 1

bee

Original Poster
There goes my diet:facepalm:
:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: Sorry!

Note: There's ALWAYS room for crème brûlée !!!! :hungry: It's one of my favorite desserts and rarely see it on menus. (I'm not just referring to WDW, but restaurants in general.).

Those were great photos of your Cali dinner!! Any time someone posts their photos of Cali dinners, I'm drooling. That is such an excellent restaurant and always has been. (Only went there once ages ago, and it was an experience.)

Sorry that you missed the fireworks, though. Bummer.
You should definitely go back! The menu changes pretty often so it can be a different experience each time.

Peach?? Wow. I've never had any flavors (other than the original recipe) added in before. Interesting idea! :hungry: Leave it to you to find this delectable phenomenon!! :D
Yes, thanks to @Tuvalu for reminding me of the flavor! :D

bee

Original Poster
another amazing looking drink!! I l LOVE Chai!!
I think this would be good even without the Baileys. You should try it next time!

I love the castle pic it's so vintage looking:joyfull:
Thanks! Yeah, it reminds me of the planning VHSs we had when I was a kid: the quintessential shot of the monorail in front of the castle and Main St.

I hope that even with the unplanned ferry ride, that you somehow still made it to 7DMT??!! :cautious: Don't you just love it when both the express and resort monorail lines aren't working??!! :banghead:
You'll find out soon! Once last year the express line was down but the resort was working PLUS they had buses going from TTC to MK. Why no buses this time???

I cannot believe people threw their MagicBands off the ferry! Is that going to become a new "thing" like the throwing of elastic hair bands on Everest??!! :bored:
Ugh, I hope not! That's where my mind went as well. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 4, cont.

We had positioned ourselves in the front of the ferry in hopes that we would be among the first off. We exited as soon as we could and made our way to the bag check lines. This experience reinforced my theory: it seemed that every time we got in the shortest line and/or walked right up to the security CM without having to wait in a long line, one or both of us was selected. I thought it a coincidence that twice in December this happened, but after three times on this trip as well it really makes me wonder if that’s one of the things the CMs are supposed to look for. Spoiler alert: I told M about the theory and for the rest of the trip we went in average to long lines and didn’t get selected again.

This was also the day I cut my finger and had to wear a bandage.

tumblr_o89hpeS5LJ1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

):

It just so happens that the finger I cut was my usual fingerprint finger at the band scanners. Ugh! So we had to wait for one of the iPad guys to come take my picture and reset my finger ID before I could enter.

After we were FINALLY inside the park, we started jogging because it was 12:20 and we were five minutes past the official FP end time, aka 10 minutes until the end of the grace period. M and I got separated and someone I kept getting stuck behind all the double wide strollers. I caught up with her and we approached the castle together. We made it through and turned right toward the Mine Train.

As we got in the FP line to scan our bands, I looked at the time: 12:27. We had made it by three minutes!

tumblr_o87dlzLDSv1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

WE MADE IT!!

We rode in row three and enjoyed the ride. Since we had scheduled our FPs back to back we were well inside the window for our next ride: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. We had a great time as always; for some reason I never expect it to be as long as it is (probably because I’m now used to short rides like 7DMT).

tumblr_o87dlzLDSv1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

I like the jewel row numbers. Just one of those little details.

After Seven Dwarfs we immediately got in the FP line for BTMR. I didn't get any photos but we had a great time! I was glad to see that the second FP checkpoints were being used as we saw some jumping back and forth between FP and standby lines.

Our next FP was Haunted Mansion, one of my favorite rides in all of Disney. I really hate the queue and stretching room setup because of how they cram as many guests in as possible and how some guests try to shove their way to the front of the line and don’t notice or care that they are separating other parties. But the ride itself makes it worth it. Oh, and I was actually wearing my Haunted Mansion shirt today!

tumblr_o87ocx8Y5E1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Is this room actually stretching??

After HM we decided to take the WDWRR (or MPB, @Tuvalu!) from Fantasyland to Main St. We had a pleasant, breezy ride and were soon on our way to the monorail for a little resort hopping.

tumblr_o87ocx8Y5E1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o87ocx8Y5E1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o87ocx8Y5E1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o87ocx8Y5E1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_o87ocx8Y5E1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_o87ocx8Y5E1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_o87ocx8Y5E1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_o87ocx8Y5E1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_o87ocx8Y5E1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Next up: Gluten Free, Shampoo, and MORE SUSHI???

Tuvalu

In regards to your metal detector theory ~
Every time Woody went through the "no bags" entrance he had to go through the metal detector. EVERY TIME. Park didn't matter. (And he does not wear cargo shorts, @lostpro9het :))
But I would pick what I thought was a short line only to be behind "backpack people" so the wait was longer and sometimes I got picked, sometimes not. The worst was the day the screener pulled out and examined everything in my tiny bag (even my money!) and I STILL had to walk through the metal detector.

But a ride on the MPB is great for frazzled nerves! ;)

lostpro9het

Every time Woody went through the "no bags" entrance he had to go through the metal detector. EVERY TIME. Park didn't matter. (And he does not wear cargo shorts, @lostpro9het :))
But I would pick what I thought was a short line only to be behind "backpack people" so the wait was longer and sometimes I got picked, sometimes not. The worst was the day the screener pulled out and examined everything in my tiny bag (even my money!) and I STILL had to walk through the metal detector.

Went to EC yesterday and were told EVERYONE without a bag has to go through the metal detector. I'm totally cool with this, drop the "random" BS and make some magical metal detectors for us ALL to walk through. BOOM, facade deterant set!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It just so happens that the finger I cut was my usual fingerprint finger at the band scanners. Ugh! So we had to wait for one of the iPad guys to come take my picture and reset my finger ID before I could enter.

Sorry about your cut finger; I hope is healed now. Aside of that, I burst out laughing (not at your cut !!) but at the fact that they have this finger pad at the park entry points, and you just happened to have a bandage over that specific finger -- I mean, I never even thought about that sort of "issue" for getting into the parks!! :p

Tuvalu

@bee, I don't think you'll mind this post because you like kitties :cat:.

@MinnieM123, you asked me in another thread (thought it was this one, but can't remember which one) how Kona and Poly were getting along. I suppose "wild ride" is the best summation. Kona WILL NOT leave poor Poly alone. In his kitten playfulness, he jumps at her, chases her (quite hysterical watching a small kitten chase a full grown cat), bats at her when she is trying to eat and is a general pest. Poly swats Kona on the head and it doesn't faze him one bit. When he gets her riled up they run around and wrestle each other. I haven't been able to get a picture of them together because they won't sit still long enough.

Until today. Note unsuspecting Poly being stalked by Kona (who immediately pounced on her tail.)

image.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member

@MinnieM123, you asked me in another thread (thought it was this one, but can't remember which one) how Kona and Poly were getting along. I suppose "wild ride" is the best summation. Kona WILL NOT leave poor Poly alone. In his kitten playfulness, he jumps at her, chases her (quite hysterical watching a small kitten chase a full grown cat), bats at her when she is trying to eat and is a general pest. Poly swats Kona on the head and it doesn't faze him one bit. When he gets her riled up they run around and wrestle each other. I haven't been able to get a picture of them together because they won't sit still long enough.

Until today. Note unsuspecting Poly being stalked by Kona (who immediately pounced on her tail.)

View attachment 148309

Ha ha ha!!! I like Kona--he has spunk!!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :cat:

bee

Original Poster
Sorry about your finger at least the i pad guy got it settled quickly:facepalm:
Thanks! It wasn't a big cut at all, I just didn't want to risk it getting worse. But M kept reminding me every time we approached a park entrance, "Use your middle finger!"

EVERYTHING in your bag???

Went to EC yesterday and were told EVERYONE without a bag has to go through the metal detector. I'm totally cool with this, drop the "random" BS and make some magical metal detectors for us ALL to walk through. BOOM, facade deterant set!
I agree, just make it consistent!

Great TR so far! Really enjoying the photos. That painting definitely reminded me of mold too. Yuck!!
Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying it!

Sorry about your cut finger; I hope is healed now. Aside of that, I burst out laughing (not at your cut !!) but at the fact that they have this finger pad at the park entry points, and you just happened to have a bandage over that specific finger -- I mean, I never even thought about that sort of "issue" for getting into the parks!! :p
Thanks! It was a minor cut and I'm totally fine. I'm laughing about it too!

View attachment 148309
OMG OMG OMG OMG KITTTIIIIIEEEESSSSSSS

Let it be known to all: Photos of kitties are always welcome, and even encouraged, in my trip reports! Bring on the fluff!

bee

Original Poster
Day 4, cont.

Luckily the resort monorail was running again. We hopped in and got off at the Gluten Free. I mean Grand Floridian. M and I have been calling it that for years because of all the decorations that say “GF.”

tumblr_o89fu8dwju1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

On our way!

If you’ve read my previous reports, you know that we like to shop at Basin at DD/DS and Basin White at GF. And what store do you see immediately to the left when you enter the GF from the monorail? Basin White! We were on a mission to find some dry shampoos that would be good for traveling and good for hair as I tend to have a dry scalp that is sometimes prone to flaking.

tumblr_o89fu8dwju1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Basin!

Not only did they have a variety of shampoos AND conditioners, but they have a special of 4 bars for $25 (normally $8 each), AND they have an AP discount too. We bought two sets of matching shampoos and conditioners.

BasinWhite_Sh__04864.1444764238.1280.1280.jpg
BasinWhite_Con__15918.1444773536.1280.1280.jpg

Basin White (that's the scent/formula name, not just the store) shampoo and conditioner, from the Basin website

SunnyGrape_Sh__38497.1444771231.1280.1280.jpg
SunnyGrape_Con__27502.1444782899.1280.1280.jpg

Sunny grapefruit shampoo and conditioner, also from Basin website

M also picked out some variety packs of soap for her coworkers.

tumblr_o89fu8dwju1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

All our spoils

We were hungry at this point but wanted something light since we had big dinner plans ahead of us. We went down to Gasparilla Island Grill and shared a beer and a sushi. We picked the Kona Brewing Co. Big Wave Golden Ale and the cashier opened the bottle for us and gave us a plastic cup for it! The sushi appeared to be the same as the one we had eaten previously at Katsura.

tumblr_o89fu8dwju1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

I know, I know...this is not the right place to enjoy a Kona beer!

tumblr_o89fu8dwju1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Veggie sushi

Did I enjoy the beverage?
Yes

Would I drink it again?
Sure. It was a pleasant, refreshing beer.

Did I enjoy the snack?
Yes

Would I eat it again?
Sure

When we were ready to go we headed upstairs to the monorail and a train was just arriving. We took the monorail one stop to MK and headed down to the bus stop. One arrived within less than five minutes and we made our way back to the Swan to get ready for dinner.

tumblr_o89fu8dwju1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89fu8dwju1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89fu8dwju1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_o89fu8dwju1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

View from the monorail

tumblr_o89fu8dwju1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Bus!

What’s a Disney day without ice cream?? M’s feet were hurting so I made my way to the Fountain at the Dolphin once again. This time I ordered from the window and went with Cappuccino Caramel. This was the best ice cream we’d had so far! It was most coffee and the caramel didn’t overpower.

tumblr_o89hpeS5LJ1un92rjo1_400.jpg

Ice cream

Did I enjoy the snack?
Yes!

Would I eat it again?
Absolutely!

You may have noticed that so far we’ve had some kind of ice cream and some kind of sushi every day of the trip. Keep reading to find out if we can keep it up!

Next up: Fun times at AKL

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom