Trip Report *COMPLETED* Flowers, Family, and ??Fireworks?? (and lots of FOOD): A Memorial Week Trip Report

We are back! I am departing from my usual trip report procedure in that I haven't written the entire thing yet, but am instead posting a bit at a time as I go along. Tonight I am starting with introductions of the cast, since there are some additions who haven't previously appeared in my TRs.

The Cast

The cast of this trip of course includes my wife M and me, Bee. There are three new players, however: M’s mom, dad, and brother, all of whom I consider to be my own family as well! For simplicity I will refer to them as MIL (mother-in-law), FIL (father-in-law), and BIL (brother-in-law because his name starts with M as well! Oh and we all have M last names. Even MIL's maiden name starts with M). A little about each of us:

Bee (me)
Vegetarian, obsessed with Disney, loves seeing Broadway musicals
Married to M for going on two years, honeymooned at WDW
The planner and organizer of the bunch

M (my wife)
Vegetarian, smart and funny, not exactly OBSESSED with Disney like I am but still loves going
Married to me for going on two years, honeymooned at WDW

MIL
Obsessed with Disney and giraffes, loves children
Married to FIL for (almost) 32 years, honeymooned at...you guessed it, WDW!

FIL
Quiet but secretly hilarious, reads all the time, half Italian
Married to MIL for (almost) 32 years, can you tell where we get our Disney obsession??

BIL
Did not get bitten by the Disney bug like the rest of us! Guessing if he gets married he will NOT honeymoon at WDW!

As you can see education is important to this family! It goes back to the previous generation as well because both of M’s grandfathers were university professors; one has a doctorate and the other was ABD when family circumstances prevented him from finishing. In addition, BIL, M, and I all graduated from the HS where FIL is now a guidance counselor (though he worked at a different school while we were are going there) and BIL now teaches there too.

The Plans

Dates
Saturday, May 28-Thursday, June 2 (Me and M)
Saturday, May 28-Monday, May 30 (MIL, FIL, BIL)

Hotel
Pop Century one night, WDW Swan four nights (Me and M)
Two nights offsite in LBV (MIL, FIL, BIL)

Tickets
Annual Passes (Me, M, MIL, FIL)
FL Resident Park Hopper (BIL)

Flights
Southwest Airlines nonstop (Me and M. The others drove as they live 2.5 hours away)

Transportation
DME and Uber (Me and M)
Rental car (MIL, FIL, BIL)

The week before our trip was busy and we didn’t have much time to pack and prepare for the trip. A few days before I finally dragged out the suitcase and started putting things inside, but it wasn’t until the night before we left that we finally got serious about packing. I had rehearsal in Westchester that evening and got home to NJ around 9:30. M had done a lot of work toward packing and we managed to get in bed before midnight for a brief sleep.

We debated whether to bring a large suitcase or a small one and decided on a small one so it wouldn’t be too much trouble to transfer from Pop to the Swan on Sunday. Since the suitcase was small enough we had the option to check it or carry it on. We decided to put the DME tag on it in case we wanted to check it, but to make the final decision in the morning after we saw the line for Southwest bag check. I had been reading TSA horror stories about crazy long wait times and missed flights and I didn’t want to add any unnecessary time to our pre-security time.

Next up: Day 1

bee

Original Poster
Day 1: Saturday, May 28
Note: there are no pictures for this post because...I didn't take any this early in the morning. The next post will have some, however!

We woke up at 4:30 am to get dressed and finish our last-minute packing. I called an Uber and a few minutes before 5:00 we were on our way to the Newark airport. The ride took less than twenty minutes. When we went inside we approached the Southwest bag line and saw that there was no wait for express bag drop (checking a bag if you had already printed a boarding pass, which we had). When we got to the kiosk a SWA employee asked if we were Rapid Rewards Preferred members and we said no and asked where express bag drop was. She acted like she didn’t know what we were talking about (or maybe she actually didn’t!) and told us we had to wait in the full service line. So that answered the “to check or not to check” question! We were bummed we wouldn’t get to use the DME delivery service but were ready to be on our way.

The security wait at Newark has never been short for us. I don’t think either of us has waited less than 20 minutes and the TSA staff there are not the most organized so we went in expecting the worst. The wait was actually 22 minutes (I timed it!) so it was about what we expected, plus the process was a little bit more streamlined than usual and not so headache-inducing. Score!

The Southwest area at EWR is pretty small and the food options are very limited, especially in the early morning. There is a Boar’s Head sandwich shop so I had a “Florentine wrap” (something with egg, cheese, and spinach) and M had an egg and cheese bagel sandwich. My wrap was a bit too salty but otherwise they were fine. No photos, sorry!

We were lucky enough to find seats by a charging station. It was a good thing we arrived early because the terminal kept getting more and more crowded as the morning progressed. As our boarding time approached the gate agent announced that the flight was completely full and asked for volunteers to check their larger bags to their respective final destinations. We were happy to check our bag and quite glad we had attached the DME tag! Soon we were boarding and since we were in group A we had our pick of seats. Despite the full flight we managed to take off a bit early. Yay!

Next up: the flight and DME

bee

Original Poster
I interrupt this trip report for a friendly reminder to wear your seat belts!!!

I went to the endodontist to finish the work on my root canal this morning. I took an Uber home instead of the bus because I was feeling a little light-headed from the numbing and sore from the procedure. About a quarter of a mile from my apartment, we got into an accident. A car was waiting at a light to turn left; a second car stopped behind them; we were the third car and stopped behind the second car, but a fourth car did not stop in time and hit us, causing us to hit the second car and the second to hit the first. My seat belt made the difference between a few minor scrapes and light bruises, and head injuries from slamming into the passenger headrest in front of me, or worse. I am taking the rest of the day and tomorrow off to rest, but I am fine other than a bit of stiffness and the aforementioned scraping and bruising.

Anyway, my trip report is a nice distraction from the shock of the accident and I can work on it lying down! :)

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

During the flight I took a brief nap on M’s shoulder. Soon it was time for food and beverage service and we were given pouches of plane cookies.

tumblr_o86368peSL1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Plane cookies!

tumblr_o86368peSL1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

Cute!

I mentioned in my PTR that Southwest sent us each four drink coupons for adult beverages and we were ready to use them! I had a tequila and orange juice and M had a coffee with Bailey’s.

tumblr_o86368peSL1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

What a relaxing flight! ;)

The flight was uneventful; we read, played games on our 3DSs, and watched the complimentary TV that Southwest provides on my iPad. We landed almost half an hour early and saw a DME sign to welcome us before we even stepped out of the jet bridge!

tumblr_o86368peSL1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Landed early!

tumblr_o86368peSL1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

A welcome sight! :D

Since we had checked the bag it was an easy trip to the B side lower level for DME. We knew to expect long waits since it was a holiday weekend; when we got in line there were fewer than ten people in front of us so we figured a bus had just left, but at least we would be some of the first on the bus and have our pick of seats, right? Wrong! For some reason, even though the CM who tells guests which bus to board told everyone before us to go to spot 43, he directed us to 46. We got to bus 46 and told the driver we were going to Pop Century; he told us he wasn’t going there and to wait by the bus while he called someone to help us. Meanwhile, we were watching all the people who had been in line behind us get on bus 43.

Next up: Will we make the bus? Will we be stuck at MCO waiting for the next bus??

bee

Original Poster
Oh no!!! So sorry that happened but very glad to hear that you are all right!
Thank you, @WDWDarling!

Glad you're ok after the accident! I'm always paranoid about people not stopping behind me when someone is turning left. Happened to me once, and I could see in my mirror that it was about to happen and I couldn't do anything :arghh:.
Thank you, @sheriffwoody! That really sucks! Something similar happened to us once in Florida when M was driving but we were in the front car so our car was barely damaged at all. This poor Uber driver got it pretty bad in the front and the back. :(

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

Finally a CM brought us back inside and back to our line. After a moment of confusion he sent us to...bus 43. We should have just followed everyone else and not listened to what the original CM told us! We had to sit almost all the way in the back of the bus BUT we made the bus so we couldn’t complain! We waited a total of 27 minutes from first scanning our bands to our bus departure, which wasn’t bad at all considering the holiday.

At some point during the ride I received a text that our room wasn’t quite ready but that I would receive a second text when it was ready. We stopped at AoA first and most of the passengers exited there.

tumblr_o86368peSL1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

SO close!

We moved toward the front of the bus for the rest of the ride and it wasn’t long before we were getting off the bus and finally heading inside!

tumblr_o86368peSL1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Seeing this sign still gives me joy!

tumblr_o86368peSL1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

Almost there...

tumblr_o86368peSL1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Yaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!

I still hadn’t gotten the room text but figured it didn’t hurt to ask at the desk if anything was ready.

tumblr_o86368peSL1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Cool...

The resort was 100% booked, however, and nothing was available that was already ready. Again we were expecting delays and busy parks and hotels so we were prepared to have to wait. The front desk CM did give us buttons, though! Later I got another text that we needed to stop by the front desk AGAIN to receive our room assignment. Oh well, we were ready for some park time! We left our backpacks with bell services and, after a quick stop for coffee at Everything Pop, made our way to the bus to Epcot!

tumblr_o863awrtiR1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Is this new upholstery at Everything Pop?

tumblr_o863awrtiR1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

What a neat bus wait times sign...:cautious: :rolleyes:

Next up: Finally home at Epcot

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Sorry to hear about the car accident. Sometimes, even just a slight hit from another vehicle can really shake you up inside. I'm glad that the accident was not serious and that you are o.k.

And you are right about wearing a seat belt. (Back when I was in my late teens, I was with a boyfriend on New Year's Eve, and I was sitting in the front seat of his car, without a seat belt on. Another car crashed into his (they ran a stop sign) and my head hit the rear view mirror, breaking the mirror. They rushed me to a nearby hospital and I got 22 stitches in my forehead.) The emergency room doctor told me that hitting the rear view mirror may have stopped me from going through the windshield, which could have killed me. After that, I always wore a seat belt and I always advise everyone I know to wear one, too!!

Figgy1

Premium Member
I interrupt this trip report for a friendly reminder to wear your seat belts!!!

I went to the endodontist to finish the work on my root canal this morning. I took an Uber home instead of the bus because I was feeling a little light-headed from the numbing and sore from the procedure. About a quarter of a mile from my apartment, we got into an accident. A car was waiting at a light to turn left; a second car stopped behind them; we were the third car and stopped behind the second car, but a fourth car did not stop in time and hit us, causing us to hit the second car and the second to hit the first. My seat belt made the difference between a few minor scrapes and light bruises, and head injuries from slamming into the passenger headrest in front of me, or worse. I am taking the rest of the day and tomorrow off to rest, but I am fine other than a bit of stiffness and the aforementioned scraping and bruising.

Anyway, my trip report is a nice distraction from the shock of the accident and I can work on it lying down! :)
I'm glad it wasn't serious!

bee

Original Poster
Day 1., cont.

We waited less than five minutes for a bus and had a quick, pleasant ride to the park. We got through bag check quickly and there were no lines at the band scanners! Woohoo! We stopped for a few pictures at the front of the park, but we soon made our way toward the real purpose of the trip: FOOD!

tumblr_o863awrtiR1un92rjo4_400.gif

An experiment making a gif from a video. I love seeing the flowers in front of SSE! :D

tumblr_o863awrtiR1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_o863awrtiR1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

I <3 these flowers!

At the 2014 festival we loved the spring rolls at the China booth and we were hungry and ready for more! That was our first food stop and we devoured them! We also tried the Dragon Pearl (basically bubble tea but made with beer instead of tea) and it was strange but tasty.

tumblr_o863awrtiR1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Spring rolls and Dragon Pearl

Did I enjoy the snack?
Yes!

Would I eat it again?
Yes!!!

Did I enjoy the beverage?
Yes!

Would I drink it again?
Yes, maybe on the next F&G trip.

It was around this time that we got a text from FIL that they were parked at Epcot and heading to the front gate. We decided to keep going the same direction around WS and meet them somewhere in Future World. We of course had to stop for a beer flight at Bauernmarkt on the way. My favorite was the Warsteiner Dunkel and M’s was the Paulaner Lager.

tumblr_o863awrtiR1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

Bier!

Yes

Would I drink it again?
Sure

BIL, being young and faster than his parents, decided to walk ahead of them and meet us in WS. Before he reached us we stopped at the Japan booth to try the frushi and I decided to try the Suigei Sake as well. Both of these were meh to us. M remarked that the sake tasted like alcoholic pool water.

tumblr_o863awrtiR1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Frushi

tumblr_o863awrtiR1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Sake

Did I enjoy the snack?
Meh

Would I eat it again?
No. I’d rather have actual sushi!

No

Would I drink it again?
Nah. If I want to drink pool water I can do it for free at my resort.

Next up: More booths and meeting up with family!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom