Florida Sees Record Tourism Numbers in 2015

JohnD

Original Poster
From today's Orlando Sentinel.

"Florida became the first state to welcome more than 100 million out-of-state and international tourists.

Gov. Rick Scott said more than 105 million people came to the Sunshine State in 2015. The record-breaking number was announced Thursday morning at Epcot."

“Florida’s a great place to invest and growing our business,” said Bob Chapek, chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. “And we’re continuing to do that with a lot of new initiatives.”

Chapek took a moment to describe the lenghty list of changes and updates coming to Disney’s parks in Orlando, including lands for Star Wars, Toy Story and Avatar.

1024x576

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

“Florida’s a great place to invest and growing our business,” said Bob Chapek, chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. “And we’re continuing to do that with a lot of new initiatives.”
So I'm usually slow to the punch in criticizing Disney for the way it runs its business because they obviously are successful at it. But damn, how do you say "grow your business and new initiatives" and be cutting significantly?

seascape

That picture make me nauseous after reading the other threads about recent cost cutting at the WDW parks. CM's are losing their jobs!
I hate the cuts too but there are many more jobs coming to WDW thanks to Disney Springs, Rivers of Light and the night time safari this year. Avatar next year and then Toy Story in 2018 and Star Wars in 2019.

Plus more expansion at Universal. Hopefully SeaWorlds recovery and many more off site resorts and Timeshares. Florida has years of growth ahead if the economy ever recovers in the 93% of counties that have still not recovered from the recession.

Sonconato

This makes more sense now. My husband and son saw Rick Scott at Animal Kingdom by the Burudika Band on Sunday. They said most people had now idea who he was.

Siren

Wow! I was just getting ready to post this. When I posted last years numbers -- Orlando had over 62 million visitors! http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...more-than-62-million-visitors-in-2014.898138/

ETA: I missed that this is Florida's numbers not "Orlando". LOL. But, 105 Million in just one year is still phenomenal! I can't wait to see Orlando's numbers!

And, I have to say that our recent trip was amazing, it was the best trip we've ever had at Disney. The Orlando service community really exceeded our expectations, the only disappointment being some of the Disney Deluxe hotel staff and CL -- very unrefined. It's not their fault, they need more training, it is a management issue.

The Four Seasons Orlando blew us away this time, we don't desire to stay anywhere else. Even the valets at the Four Seasons are better trained than all of the Disney hotel staff. It transformed how we plan to vacation in Orlando.

Both, Disney Park CM's and Universal CM's were exceptional. We didn't bother with Sea World.

OMG. There was so much construction and traffic everywhere, I was so glad we didn't rent a car. Our chauffeurs were exceptional in getting us around Orlando efficiently. Uber was okay, we used it once in Orlando and it was suffice but we prefer professional black car service elsewhere.

Last edited:

jt04

Scott also said he'd like 2016 to get 115 million visitors. Oh god, please don't let them all go to WDW......

Weird. Guessing they love the product even before all the new additions.

Amazing.

115 million ticket buying tourists vs. 115 magical trolls. Wonder who has Mickey 's ear?

jt04

So I'm usually slow to the punch in criticizing Disney for the way it runs its business because they obviously are successful at it. But damn, how do you say "grow your business and new initiatives" and be cutting significantly?

Cuts in some areas and additions to others. While growth continues steadily.

This is the hallmark of a successful business.

And why we no longer hear of WDW being sold off in chunks. Now do we?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

And why we no longer hear of WDW being sold off in chunks. Now do we?
That's a good point, but don't most labor heavy businesses trim significantly in order to be more marketable. Not saying that is what is happening here, but it causes one to take pause.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Wow! I was just getting ready to post this. When I posted last years numbers -- Orlando had over 62 million visitors! http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...more-than-62-million-visitors-in-2014.898138/

ETA: I missed that this is Florida's numbers not "Orlando". LOL. But, 105 Million in just one year is still phenomenal! I can't wait to see Orlando's numbers!

And, I have to say that our recent trip was amazing, it was the best trip we've ever had at Disney. The Orlando service community really exceeded our expectations, the only disappointment being some of the Disney Deluxe hotel staff and CL -- very unrefined. It's not their fault, they need more training, it is a management issue.

The Four Seasons Orlando blew us away this time, we don't desire to stay anywhere else. Even the valets at the Four Seasons are better trained than all of the Disney hotel staff. It transformed how we plan to vacation in Orlando.

Both, Disney Park CM's and Universal CM's were exceptional. We didn't bother with Sea World.

OMG. There was so much construction and traffic everywhere, I was so glad we didn't rent a car. Our chauffeurs were exceptional in getting us around Orlando efficiently. Uber was okay, we used it once in Orlando and it was suffice but we prefer professional black car service elsewhere.
FYI, there is a forum for Trip Reports. This is the News and Rumors forum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom