Florida resident AP holder: Moving out of state

Gordon Buford

Original Poster
My wife and I moved to Florida about a year ago and are Florida resident annual passholders. We’ll be moving out of the Sunshine State soon but haven’t yet settled all of the details.

From what I’ve read, it sounds like the procedure for renewing an AP is as follows: You either renew the pass online or wait for a renewal packet to be mailed to you, and then you present your Florida ID at a ticket window to activate the new AP. (Anyone know how this works with the MagicBands, by the way? Does the new year’s AP roll over to your existing band, or does Disney send you a new one?)

My question is: If we renew our passes and then move out of state (Disney would know either because we changed the mailing address on our account—or because we didn’t, and mail got returned to them), does that somehow flag our APs with Disney and/or invalidate them?

Anyone here a former Florida resident and have an experience to share? Or perhaps snowbirds with Florida licenses who have their mail forwarded elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

pilka214

I just moved out of state in September and changed my license in october, I visited in December over the christmas holiday and had no issues (I renewed my pass in May) I assume it will continue to work till May, but i'm assuming renewing it isn't going to happen, luckily my brother is a cast member.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
They don't mail a "renewal packet". You'll get a postcard reminder and maybe an email. Yes, you will have to visit Guest Services to get your new Passholder card...and show your Florida ID. The renewed pass will be in your MDE account and any linked Magic Band will work.

thomas998

My wife and I moved to Florida about a year ago and are Florida resident annual passholders. We’ll be moving out of the Sunshine State soon but haven’t yet settled all of the details.

From what I’ve read, it sounds like the procedure for renewing an AP is as follows: You either renew the pass online or wait for a renewal packet to be mailed to you, and then you present your Florida ID at a ticket window to activate the new AP. (Anyone know how this works with the MagicBands, by the way? Does the new year’s AP roll over to your existing band, or does Disney send you a new one?)

My question is: If we renew our passes and then move out of state (Disney would know either because we changed the mailing address on our account—or because we didn’t, and mail got returned to them), does that somehow flag our APs with Disney and/or invalidate them?

Anyone here a former Florida resident and have an experience to share? Or perhaps snowbirds with Florida licenses who have their mail forwarded elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.
I know of a family that used to live in Florida and now live outside. They have been doing Disney and Universal as Florida residents for years because wife has never gotten a new drivers license. Not sure how long how til she will have to renew the license or if she plans on renewing it when she is in Florida on a vacation... but that's the only way I've known of it happening. As for them noticing your mail gets returned, that's unlikely. If Disney is like most companies they wont ever waste the time to look at what mail got return and what didn't. My understanding is their only verification is the drivers license.

LAKid53

Premium Member
She won't be able to renew her license while visiting in Florida. Florida now requires additional documentation to prove Florida residency like voters registration card, W-2 or vehicle registration. If she gets stopped in their new state of residency while driving with a Florida license, that's not good either. Most states require a new resident to get a driver's license within a specific period of time once moving to that state. Florida requires a driver to get a FL drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident.

As a Florida resident, I'm not even going to comment on her defrauding Disney. If this becomes a real issue for Disney and they decide to drop the FL resident discount on tickets, there's going to be several million unhappy APs who won't like your acquaintances.....

POLY LOVER

Supporting this is in essence , stealing and if many do this the Florida resident pass will go away. Next they will be asking what areas are unguarded so they can climb over the fences.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Supporting this is in essence , stealing and if many do this the Florida resident pass will go away.
Disney sets the ID requirements. If you can use legitimate documents to meet them, why wouldn't you?
Next they will be asking what areas are unguarded so they can climb over the fences.
That's kind of a silly leap, don't you think? Legally qualifying for a resident annual isn't nearly the same as trespassing.

POLY LOVER

Disney sets the ID requirements. If you can use legitimate documents to meet them, why wouldn't you?
That's kind of a silly leap, don't you think? Legally qualifying for a resident annual isn't nearly the same as trespassing.
The poster said they are no longer Florida residents, and they should not qualify for a residents pass. I don't understand why there is any discussion. They can buy an annual pass just not a discounted Florida residents one. If you are providing false information to get one you are stealing.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The poster said they are no longer Florida residents, and they should not qualify for a residents pass. I don't understand why there is any discussion. They can buy an annual pass just not a discounted Florida residents one. If you are providing false information to get one you are stealing.
While it might violate your sensibilities, it certainly isn't stealing -- they're still paying to get their passes. But if they can't provide the required documentation, they won't get the Florida Resident discount. If one can provide that documentation, one qualifies for a Florida Resident Annual Pass. Note that Disney cleverly set their requirements so that people with a landed interest in Florida (property owners or renters) would have those documents. And there are people who live in Florida for only parts of a year, who own property in Florida (and thus have mortgages, pay taxes and utilities, etc) without having a Florida DL. So they, by Disney's own specifications, qualify for Florida Annuals as well.

LAKid53

Premium Member
While it might violate your sensibilities, it certainly isn't stealing -- they're still paying to get their passes. But if they can't provide the required documentation, they won't get the Florida Resident discount. If one can provide that documentation, one qualifies for a Florida Resident Annual Pass. Note that Disney cleverly set their requirements so that people with a landed interest in Florida (property owners or renters) would have those documents. And there are people who live in Florida for only parts of a year, who own property in Florida (and thus have mortgages, pay taxes and utilities, etc) without having a Florida DL. So they, by Disney's own specifications, qualify for Florida Annuals as well.

Except that they are no longer Florida residents and therefore should not possess a Florida drivers license and use it as official documentation - that's fraud. And yes, obtaining a discount you're not entitled to IS STEALING..

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Except that they are no longer Florida residents and therefore should not possess a Florida drivers license and use it as official documentation - that's fraud. And yes, obtaining a discount you're not entitled to IS STEALING..
IF the OP becomes a part-year resident, which is what I suggested in my first post, they'll qualify under WDW's rules. If you're all that concerned about it, write a letter to WDW and tell them their criteria are...
220px-Photolautrec.jpg

LAKid53

Premium Member
IF the OP becomes a part-year resident, which is what I suggested in my first post, they'll qualify under WDW's rules. If you're all that concerned about it, write a letter to WDW and tell them their criteria are...
220px-Photolautrec.jpg

If someone meets the Florida definition as a state resident and thus is elegible for a Florida drivers license, I don't have an issue. If that includes snowbirds (winter residents who own a home in Florida and pay property taxes), that's good.

As Disney's policy requires a passholder to provide a state issued ID to get the discount, how the State of Florida determines who is a resident is the driving force for me. As I said earlier, to be in possession of a government issued ID that one is no longer entitled to based upon residency and then using that ID to prove residency is fraud.

Tony the Tigger

No, it is absolutely stealing, just as if you switched price tags in a retail store.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You are making the rediculous stance that it's the paperwork that entitles you... vs the reality that the pass is intended for a certain audience and the paperwork is just how Disney validates. It's the intent... not what you can get away.

It's a morality point. Prentending to be something you are not to gain a benefit you are not entitled to.

KraftServices

The people accusing you of fraud I think glossed over the whole "renew your passes while still a Florida resident" part. You're asking if it will trigger or flag your account for having an out of state residence AFTER you renewed your passes WHILE STILL A FLORIDA RESIDENT. I wouldn't consider that fraudulent. Maybe morally dubious but not equivalent to switching price tags in retail. If you move out of Florida and then renew while pretending to be a Florida resident, that's definitely fraud, though.

Maybe you could try contacting Disney and just asking them? Just say you're wondering what happens if you have a Florida resident discount AP and then you move out of state. I'd guess they honor it as long as the pass is valid until renewal time.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The people accusing you of fraud I think glossed over the whole "renew your passes while still a Florida resident" part. You're asking if it will trigger or flag your account for having an out of state residence AFTER you renewed your passes WHILE STILL A FLORIDA RESIDENT. I wouldn't consider that fraudulent. Maybe morally dubious but not equivalent to switching price tags in retail. If you move out of Florida and then renew while pretending to be a Florida resident, that's definitely fraud, though.

Maybe you could try contacting Disney and just asking them? Just say you're wondering what happens if you have a Florida resident discount AP and then you move out of state. I'd guess they honor it as long as the pass is valid until renewal time.

None of us were referring to the OP. We were talking about the folks @thomas998 mentioned....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom