Flight of Passage: People of size be warned

pmaljr

5'9", 300lbs here. Rode it twice on Saturday evening, although the second bike seemed tighter and they had to push against my back to make that one work. But, it worked and was not uncomfortable once it was in place.

Rodan75

5'9", 300lbs here. Rode it twice on Saturday evening, although the second bike seemed tighter and they had to push against my back to make that one work. But, it worked and was not uncomfortable once it was in place.

6'3" 350 here...a little nervous but so excited to ride it (hopefully) on Monday.

tribbleorlfl

Since this topic keeps popping up on multiple threads, I will keep saying the same thing.

1) Ride designers have to balance ride experience, safety and accessibility, and obviously, there are very few rides that can accommodate everyone. The ideal design allows the maximum amount of people to ride.

2) After riding FoP and getting a good examination of the seat and restraints (since they tried for about 5 minutes to get them to engage for the gentleman a couple seats over from me), I question if they actually accomplished that. It seems like the restraints are overly-restrictive for the experience and almost certainly the Imagineers built in some margin given the novelty of the ride system.

3) It's low-hanging fruit to assume only overweight people are the ones having trouble with FoP. Anyone who is tall, long-legged, large feet, wide/muscular calves and thighs, stiff backs and other similar mobility issues or a minor with an accompanying adult who can't ride are all likely to have problems getting the restraints engaged as currently configured. The guy who couldn't ride when I went on it was of average height and weight, he just appeared to have bad knees. He couldn't bend them enough to slide all the way forward on the seat for the back restraint to engage (even after multiple attempts).

4) Hopefully reports of them tracking the number of denied riders and making adjustments to the restraints is true.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Any word on the test seat? Wasn't it supposed to be in by yesterday?
I am seeing reports from other sites that is is now out.

Test-Seat-2-600x338.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know its needed, but once operations gets a hold of these lands, bit by bit, some of the original design fades. A big part of the beauty of Pandora is that there isn't much human stuff around.
From and function are a hard balance. Sadly function often wins out when spread sheets get involved.

tribbleorlfl

I know its needed, but once operations gets a hold of these lands, bit by bit, some of the original design fades. A big part of the beauty of Pandora is that there isn't much human stuff around.
Yeah, not a big fan of how they implemented this. 1) It just looks plopped down there, as if it was an afterthought (which it was). 2) Being right in front of the attraction, if someone tries it out and finds out they don't fit, the embarassment will now be known by everyone instead of just the 7 other people in your room. 3) Think it's going to cause congestion around the entrance.

It would have been better to locate this in part of the stroller parking off to the right side. That way it would have been more private, wouldn't obstruct the entrance and it could have been aged and covered in vibes to look like it had been out in the elements.

Jon81uk

It should have been designed from the beginning to have a test seat. They could have built a small hut or a hollowed out tree stump or some other structure to hide it from view slightly in the main walkway but make it obvious as you enter the queue.

Rodan75

Those leg restraints look ridiculously small. (Pic from that Dis boards link above)

While some men have big legs most men carry weight in their belly, I can see this eliminating a lot of women who carry weight in their legs and hips.

DAmZzH4XUAAWohZ.jpg

Pixie VaVoom

Those leg restraints look ridiculously small. (Pic from that Dis boards link above)

While some men have big legs most men carry weight in their belly, I can see this eliminating a lot of women who carry weight in their legs and hips.

View attachment 206780

Ok - i'd like to see somebody actually IN that test seat. I can't even begin to figure out what goes where!!

I am rather pleasantly 'Pooh -Shaped' and I have grave concerns about this also. DH and I are planning a trip next February.

21stamps

Ok - i'd like to see somebody actually IN that test seat. I can't even begin to figure out what goes where!!

I am rather pleasantly 'Pooh -Shaped' and I have grave concerns about this also. DH and I are planning a trip next February.

I was thinking the same thing! I thought I was just an idiot for not seeing the leg restraints lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom