Flight of Passage: People of size be warned

KTCpiano

Original Poster
I have not seen a thread about this yet, but I did the Annual Pass Preview of Pandora tonight. While I was generally enthusiastic about the land, I was not able to ride FoP because the restraint wouldn't reach its required stage of locking. I have no issues on any other "tight" rides at WDW so I was rather surprised. There were at least 10 of us walking the hill of shame who could not fit on my cycle. A second attendant offered to try again to get the restraint to lock as he wasn't convinced the first guy had tried hard enough. However, I felt like I couldn't breathe already at "stage 2" and declined the offer. Much like the other rides, it seems to all have to do with where you hold your weight. As of now, no test seat is available.

correcaminos

You guys shouldn't go to Cedar Point then.... lots and lots of people are turned away at rides sometimes even for height ;)

But seriously can you explain what didn't fit to help us know who might or might not have issues riding? I am sorry it happened to you. I fear I will have to walk away and it's not even a size thing, so don't let it get to you.

KTCpiano

Original Poster
You guys shouldn't go to Cedar Point then.... lots and lots of people are turned away at rides sometimes even for height ;)

But seriously can you explain what didn't fit to help us know who might or might not have issues riding? I am sorry it happened to you. I fear I will have to walk away and it's not even a size thing, so don't let it get to you.
If it were any park but WDW, I would not be surprised. However, Disney typically seems to go out of its way to avoid it.

Regarding the fit, It's hard to say exactly because I'm not sure exactly where I would have needed more room for it to have locked. The restraints are a back pad and leg restraints that seem to move as a unit from behind. I'm about 5'8" and wear a 2xl shirt, and my weight tends to be in my torso. My best guess is that this was where the problem was. I know of other people who are larger and wear their weight more in their waist and hips who did not have an issue.

correcaminos

If it were any park but WDW, I would not be surprised. However, Disney typically seems to go out of its way to avoid it.

Regarding the fit, It's hard to say exactly because I'm not sure exactly where I would have needed more room for it to have locked. The restraints are a back pad and leg restraints that seem to move as a unit from behind. I'm about 5'8" and wear a 2xl shirt, and my weight tends to be in my torso. My best guess is that this was where the problem was. I know of other people who are larger and wear their weight more in their waist and hips who did not have an issue.
They do, but a lot of times the more advanced a ride gets, the more restrictive it is. Sadly not everything can be one size fits all. So they have to decide where the cut off is.

Thank you for describing though as I am sure it is helpful to others.

KTCpiano

Original Poster
They do, but a lot of times the more advanced a ride gets, the more restrictive it is. Sadly not everything can be one size fits all. So they have to decide where the cut off is.

Thank you for describing though as I am sure it is helpful to others.
I agree, and certainly, not everything can be tailored to every body type. My hope is simply that they could find a way to address this such that people don't stand through the entire line and VERY long pre-show only to have that type of experience. A test seat or something along those lines would save the hassle.

AndyS2992

You'd think they would have learnt from the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train fiasco at opening..

I'm a bigish guy and I fit on everything so far however at Universal the other year I couldn't get the restraint to click all the way on the Hulk coaster so they called over a strong emplyee to push down on me to get it to finally click which it did but I've never been so embarrassed and never want that kind of thing to happen again, so might just have to avoid this new ride altogether.

Yenfid

Sounds like I will not be able to ride either. I am 5'7" and weigh around 280 pounds and carry all of my weight in my stomach and waist area. I guess I'll make a fastpass for the River Ride.

Question, I would love to walk through the line, can you still walk the line with others in your group and then opt out of riding it?

KTCpiano

Original Poster
Sounds like I will not be able to ride either. I am 5'7" and weigh around 280 pounds and carry all of my weight in my stomach and waist area. I guess I'll make a fastpass for the River Ride.

Question, I would love to walk through the line, can you still walk the line with others in your group and then opt out of riding it?

Yes, they even had a waiting area outside the doors of the theater where I could have waited for my party, and I would at least try it. If it's tight, maybe you will have a cast member that is more willing than mine was to give the pad a good push. I hope they will eventually either get some modified seating options like Universal or have a test seat to avoid the embarrassment of it not locking. Like 7DMT, tall people are also going to have issues with this restraint system.

Gurt

Whilst I fully appreciate the safety of tighter restraints they should have a test seat, I can comfortably ride Forbidden Journey in the outside seat at Uni, I am glad I spotted the test seat outside of Gringott's partly due to size and partly due to a short torso and long legs i didn't fit the test seat, I encouraged my mum and BF to go on and they said I wouldn't have got my legs in, I went in the shop while they rode and had a bit of a bottom lip wobble (disappointed in myself for gaining weight) but there was a girl in there who hadn't seen the test seat and hadn't been stopped until she got on the ride and didn't fit she got taken off and was distraught crying her heart out mostly through embarrassment, I think it is unfair to not have a test seat especially as this has never really been a problem at Disney and yes this does come from someone who is overweight and from someone who has to sit almost side on at shows because otherwise my knees would be in the back of the person in front.

correcaminos

I agree, and certainly, not everything can be tailored to every body type. My hope is simply that they could find a way to address this such that people don't stand through the entire line and VERY long pre-show only to have that type of experience. A test seat or something along those lines would save the hassle.
I completely agree. I have other concerns about the ride and contacted Disney to see if they could tell me if there are any options for me (not a size, but other physical limitations). Still waiting on a call back though.

I'm a coaster junkie and a petite lady (friends call me 'pocket sized' lol) and while height restrictions are in effect, there are some things that are not comfortable when you are short. Like RnR is awful as the restraints hit me in the ear which is not comfortable at all. I appreciate having test harnesses to see if it will be comfortable or not.

kbmb

Sad to hear. Will be interesting when it opens to the public and we can get more reports of people at different sizes and if they fit. I carry everything in the gut, but I'm also tall - and thus far at Disney haven't had issues with any ride. I fit on 7DMT, but it's tight.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Do you mind if I ask, was it due to your mid section?
I was worried about fitting but then Banks Lee from attractions was able to fit after a second attempt which gave me hope.

thomas998

You'd think they would have learnt from the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train fiasco at opening..

I'm a bigish guy and I fit on everything so far however at Universal the other year I couldn't get the restraint to click all the way on the Hulk coaster so they called over a strong emplyee to push down on me to get it to finally click which it did but I've never been so embarrassed and never want that kind of thing to happen again, so might just have to avoid this new ride altogether.

Maybe its just me, but if they have to have someone press a restraint with force down or around to click I'm not going to have a lot of faith in that restraint.... I can't imagine the engineers that designed the ride did it with the expectation that it would be force fitted around the occupant... I think if I'm being squashed by the restraint to that degree I'm going to just get off the ride.

thomas998

Weight probably isn't the best way to determine if you would fit. Better option would be if you knew the girth of people that fit and people that didn't fit because people with differing muscle to fat ratios could weight the same yet have vastly different body sizes around the mid section which I'm guessing is where the restraint issues are centered.... Though on some ride leg room is an issue as I have to make sure that on certain roller coaster I ride with our youngest daughter so I can twist my legs sideways to fit under the bars, couldn't do it when I've been with a full sized adult in the same cars.

kbmb

Maybe its just me, but if they have to have someone press a restraint with force down or around to click I'm not going to have a lot of faith in that restraint.... I can't imagine the engineers that designed the ride did it with the expectation that it would be force fitted around the occupant... I think if I'm being squashed by the restraint to that degree I'm going to just get off the ride.

Reminds me of how they used to get the Apollo astronauts into their seats before takeoff :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom