Trip Report Flabby, Fat & Lazy, Run A Race And Oopsy-Daisy! A 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon Weekend Trip Report!

Hellooooooo humans! It's another runDisney trip report!

The cast is a small one this time around...just my husband Will (28) and me, Shannon (29).
WnDEdit-330.jpg

This runDisney trip was different from my other ones in a few ways, the biggest being that the primary motivation was not to run the half marathon (although I did sign up for the half...I can't pass up the opportunity to earn some runDisney bling :D). No, the main reason we booked this trip was to run Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K...together! It was Will's first race at Disney...actually, his first race ever!
WnDEdit-039.jpg

We originally had our sights set on May's Expedition Everest Challenge, but quickly realized that the race would more than likely fall during a big tennis tournament that Will coaches each year. It seemed stupid to sign up for such an expensive race ($210 for both of us to do the 5K! o_O) with such a strong possibility that we wouldn't actually be able to participate, so that's when we switched gears and planned on the Wine & Dine weekend.

If any of you have read my other runDisney race reports you may be wondering what happened to my normal runDisney partner-in-crime, Princess Craiggy (my brother Craig, 27). Why didn't he come along and run the half with me? Apparently the idea of doing a night race really freaks him out for whatever reason. Plus, he's pretty busy - and broke - being a smarty-pants graduate student in a rigorous nursing program. (He IS still running though, and he's mentioned doing another runDisney race weekend more than once.) And finally, I sort of thought Will and I needed a little getaway, just the two of us.

WnDEdit-032.jpg

The other big way that this trip was different was that it was the first time I've ever come into a runDisney race trip thinking there was a strong possibility that I'd either not start a race or drop out due to injury. :( My last long run during training was a 12-miler on November 3, the Sunday before the race. Out of nowhere I had weird knee pain at mile 9 and changed my stride to compensate for it. I felt okay once I was done, but as the night went on I increasingly felt like I had an intense cramp in my left foot. The next morning it felt like I had a serious strain, and I spent the rest of the week hobbling around work, popping ibuprofen like it was candy, icing my foot, and researching compression socks and taping methods that I hoped would help me quickly heal or at least successfully limp through the race. (My knee, the thing that had started this whole mess, felt perfectly fine.) Monday and Tuesday were the worst - I was in serious pain and wasn't even looking forward to the trip. What if I couldn’t start the races? What if I started and got pulled off the course? I know they give out medals to people even if they don't finish (no comment on that policy...:angelic:), what would I do with the medal? There's no way I'd keep it. What if I tore or ruptured something? Would I cause serious damage here? WHAT ABOUT MY TRIP REPORT?! :D Seriously though, it was a pretty miserable week.

On Wednesday I felt a little better and was starting to think that maybe I could make it through. By Thursday I was pretty sure I was going to at least try both races, knowing full well that due to my stubbornness (and, let's be honest, stupidity) there was no way I'd willingly leave the course once I started unless something serious happened.

It was just a really weird time...by far the least excited I've ever been for a Disney trip. :(

Last edited:

Ariel484

Original Poster
Love, love, loved your trip report! I have been debating doing a rundisney marathon.. I run all the time at home and adding Disney to the mix would just be perfection! I'm so sorry you had a bad foot during your run, but you are really inspiring! I'm so proud that you finished! I kept seeing pictures of those mile markers and smiled! Way to go girl! I did Toughmudder last year, so I feel like rundisney event can't be worse than that. Thanks for your report.. it's so awesome you got recognized while out in the parks!!
Thank you! If you love Disney and you're a runner, you should totally try a Disney race. At least once! :) Thanks so much for the congrats...and yeah, I've never done (and never will do) a Toughmudder event but I'm pretty sure a Disney race would NOT be worse than that by a long shot.

Thanks for reading! :)

PartOfYourWorld

Yeah, it was totally fine...I think probably because I'm used to running with stuff on my wrists (watch on the right, Road ID on the left...so Magic Band on the left instead of Road ID). I could see it being annoying for people that don't like running with stuff on their wrists.

I THINK you can. We visited one of Will's aunts over the summer and she sent us to the airport with snacks...we thought we couldn't take them but she said it would be okay, and she was right. I think the peanut butter would have been fine for me because it was a small, sealed contained (less than 3 ounces).

That's always the most nerve-wracking part for me too. I set multiple alarms (phone, alarm clock and wake-up call) because I'm so paranoid I'll sleep through the race. I'm more of a night owl too but adrenaline really carries me through those Disney races. And then I crash later after food and a shower. :D

I probably will! Not sure how good it will be but I do love writing trip reports. :D

Yep! Nothing's booked and it would be super last-minute, but I'll let you know! :) We can PM and exchange cell numbers.

Hmmm I'll have to look into that bringing a bagel on and possibly getting small containers like that. Either that or I eat it plain that wouldn't bother me either. I'm sure I'll have a ton of adrenaline to do these races, it'll be fun no matter what time it is!

Definitely Pm me if you book and we can exchange! :)

Disneyfalcon

You take the coolest medal pictures every! :)
I cracked up that Will was asleep. So sad you missed the party, but yay for sleeping in! :)
You were recognized! That's so cool.
Love your selfie in MK.
Stephen hates when I have the camera out on Splash. Hates it! I'm with you though. The trips where I enjoy the ride and forget worrying about pictures are better. I need to do that more.
I hate that you were injured, but so glad you finished! I can't wait to read the next one!

Ariel484

Original Poster
Hmmm I'll have to look into that bringing a bagel on and possibly getting small containers like that. Either that or I eat it plain that wouldn't bother me either. I'm sure I'll have a ton of adrenaline to do these races, it'll be fun no matter what time it is!

Definitely Pm me if you book and we can exchange! :)
I mean, I think it's worth it...but I'm also some sort of control freak. :)

I'll be PM-ing you soooooon! :D
You take the coolest medal pictures every! :)
Thanks Tammy!! Any kind of photography compliment coming from you means a lot! :)
I cracked up that Will was asleep. So sad you missed the party, but yay for sleeping in! :)
ASLEEP. ON A BENCH. In public! :eek: It was not what I expected to see, that's for sure! I'm sad we missed the party too. :(
You were recognized! That's so cool.
Love your selfie in MK.
Yes, I felt sort of famous! :p
Selfies are the best!!
Stephen hates when I have the camera out on Splash. Hates it! I'm with you though. The trips where I enjoy the ride and forget worrying about pictures are better. I need to do that more.
I still get grief for that every once in awhile! :oops: I think my days of attempting pictures on rides are over...for now, anyway. :cautious:
I hate that you were injured, but so glad you finished! I can't wait to read the next one!
Yeah, I'd really like to try this race again, healthy. I hope it happens! :) Next might be the Tower of Terror 10-miler in October (!!)...if not, definitely next January! :D Thanks Tammy!!!

DanStat

Awesome trip report! Has me missing F&W Festival! I'm absolutely doing the Wine and Dine this year. One question you may have answered...which lens were you using for the wide angle shots?

Ariel484

Original Poster
Awesome trip report! Has me missing F&W Festival! I'm absolutely doing the Wine and Dine this year. One question you may have answered...which lens were you using for the wide angle shots?
Thanks Dan! My one big regret from that weekend is that we didn't get more Food & Wine time. Definitely want to go back for that festival at some point!

The ultra-wide shots are using the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 mounted on a Canon Rebel T3i. I LOVE that lens!
Wonderful trip report! :)
75.gif
Thank you! Thanks for reading. :)

Ariel484

Original Poster
Beautiful! I got the Sigma 35 1.4 and it's amazing! Their new lenses are pretty legit.
Thank you! Ooooh, very nice with the Sigma prime. I have a cheap-o 50 mm f/1.8 that I would love to bag in favor of the Sigma 30 f/1.4 but I just can't do it yet. The 35mm looks like a very nice lens. I have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 that I use most of the time and I love the Sigma 10-20mm so much that I wish I would have gotten the Sigma 17-50 rather than the Tamron version. :( Oh well!

dancingtodisney

Final Thoughts

Port Orleans French Quarter: As two self-proclaimed deluxe resort snobs, we were very, very surprised at how much we liked French Quarter. It was so relaxing and pleasant, our room was great, and we had short rides to Magic Kingdom and Epcot (obviously can't comment on the commutes to the Studios and Animal Kingdom since we never made it to those parks). After our honeymoon I never thought we'd stray from the Boardwalk, but as time goes on and we try different resorts I keep finding myself saying, "Yep, I'll definitely return to that one." French Quarter is definitely on the "will return to" list.

Food: No new places for us on this trip...we know what we like. :D Via Napoli, 'Ohana and Be Our Guest (lunch) are consistent winners for us, and we'll be back! My new WDW favorite is definitely Rose Regale...I foresee lots of delicious flutes of that tasty bubbly on future trips! :inlove:

The Parks: We only made it to Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but everything looks great. Splash was the best we'd seen it, probably ever. The decorations are great. Can't wait to see WDW fully gussied up for the holidays soon!

Magic Bands/MyMagic+: Both Will and I agreed that the Magic Bands were nice to have. It was nice to have our Annual Passes, room keys and a way to charge things all in one device. They were comfortable and it was nice to have FP+ booked ahead of time. But that's really all I can say about them...they were NICE. They were convenient...but I wouldn't say they made our trip any better. I'm definitely in the camp of wishing that the money to develop this technology had been spent elsewhere. And I guess I'll leave it at that. o_O

Food & Wine Festival: It's true what they say here on the boards...AVOID Food & Wine Festival on weekend nights! :eek: Yikes! World Showcase on Saturday night vs. World Showcase on Sunday afternoon was like night and day...literally and figuratively. :p My biggest regret of this trip is that we didn't have more Food & Wine time. If I could do things differently I would have made our Sunday dinner reservation later and skipped the Magic Kingdom the last morning of our trip in favor of more Food & Wine. Next time!

Running Thoughts: Did I mention that my foot was injured during this trip? No? Because it was. :rolleyes: Obviously that overshadowed a lot of the race experiences (and a lot of the weekend as a whole). I think it was probably pretty stupid of me to run with the injury, but really, with having paid the entry fee (and been well past the race deferral deadline), booked the hotel and flights, taken the time off at work, etc....there's no way I would have been able to skip out and not lose a ton of money. Plus, I'm stubborn and a little stupid...so there's that.

So while it was stupid, I'm glad I did it. The 5K was a blast, and I had a great time running it with Will. Hopefully we'll do more races at Disney together. :D Wine & Dine was awesome - best half marathon course at WDW, in my opinion, and the first half marathon I've done there that I KNOW for sure I want to do again.

Future Running: After getting home from WDW the foot was pretty bad and I hobbled for a few more days, all the while telling myself that if it didn't get better by the next week I'd see a doctor. Slowly but surely it began to improve, and 2 weeks out from race day it was finally completely better. :) It still feels a little stiff when I first wake up, but that's going away, too. I'm not taking any chances though...I promised myself (and Will) that I was going to take the rest of November off from running to make sure I fully kick this thing, and I've stuck to that. Since I've started running in 2008 this is the longest stretch I've had with no running...and it's been weird going from running 4 days per week to zero days per week, but I'm mostly okay with it. I've been doing some strength training and yoga, which I've always done sporadically, but I'm starting to think about how to incorporate both more regularly when I do start running again. I think this will be important going forward in staying healthy. I'm planning on hitting the treadmill again on December 2 and slowly but surely building the mileage back up. I'm probably being over-cautious but I don't want this injury to happen again.

Future Disney Running! With Wine & Dine complete there's just one long race I haven't done at WDW - the Tower of Terror 10-miler. I'm 50/50 on whether I want to do that one this year...it's the same weekend as a work trip I've already committed to, so I'd need to do the race Saturday evening and then fly to Chicago for work on Sunday...then fly home late on Tuesday. And it would most likely be a solo trip due to Will's tennis commitments. So it's doable, but I still haven't decided one way or the other. One thing I know I will NOT be doing in 2014 is heading to WDW for Marathon Weekend. It'll be weird not to be there after participating 2 years in a row, but we have a long, no-running (!!) WDW trip coming up that's been in the works for awhile, and we are so looking forward to it. :happy: Of the last 4 trips to WDW Will and I have taken together, 3 have been centered around runDisney events. :eek: It's time for a break.

With that longer trip in mind (which has been in the works for over 2 years!) I've been planning on heading back to WDW for Marathon Weekend in 2015. It's the 10th anniversary of the Goofy Challenge, so that was originally my goal...but then runDisney had to up the stakes and announce the Dopey Challenge. :facepalm: And a Pluto 5K medallion for the 5K. :facepalm::facepalm: And a Minnie Mouse medal for the 10K. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Oh runDisney...you got me again.

Good-bye, money! Hello Dopey 2015! :D

Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for reading!

Just read through your entire TR and loved it! You got me very excited as I've just booked flights to head to WDW for a 17day trip end of October / start of November 2014 and will be participating in my first Disney run, the wine and dine half marathon! I'm not much of a runner at the moment but myself and my sister are going to give it a shot! Will take a lot of training but after seeing your pictures I'm soooooo looking forward to it. So sorry your foot got in the way but a massive WELL DONE for finishing! ;)

Ariel484

Original Poster
Just read through your entire TR and loved it! You got me very excited as I've just booked flights to head to WDW for a 17day trip end of October / start of November 2014 and will be participating in my first Disney run, the wine and dine half marathon! I'm not much of a runner at the moment but myself and my sister are going to give it a shot! Will take a lot of training but after seeing your pictures I'm soooooo looking forward to it. So sorry your foot got in the way but a massive WELL DONE for finishing! ;)

Wine and Dine is really a great race, you two will have a blast! I'm hoping to rope my brother into doing this race with me someday, because I need to give it another shot and it would be much more fun to run it with someone else. Fingers crossed!

Suggestion for you and your sister - sign up for a 10K race at home sometime this year so you can use it for corral placement. That way you won't be in the last corral.

Good luck with your training!! :)

dancingtodisney

Wine and Dine is really a great race, you two will have a blast! I'm hoping to rope my brother into doing this race with me someday, because I need to give it another shot and it would be much more fun to run it with someone else. Fingers crossed!

Suggestion for you and your sister - sign up for a 10K race at home sometime this year so you can use it for corral placement. That way you won't be in the last corral.

Good luck with your training!! :)

Thanks! Ye we're planning to do a 10K in Dublin over the summer.

That would be nice if you could get him to do it with you, do you think he'll ever try to go Goofy with you?

I'm glad it's going to be at night anyway and with it being November it hopefully won't be too hot. Only worry for us is that it's at the end of a two week holiday! Just the way the dates worked out for us!

Ariel484

Original Poster
Thanks! Ye we're planning to do a 10K in Dublin over the summer.

That would be nice if you could get him to do it with you, do you think he'll ever try to go Goofy with you?

I'm glad it's going to be at night anyway and with it being November it hopefully won't be too hot. Only worry for us is that it's at the end of a two week holiday! Just the way the dates worked out for us!
My brother WAS signed up to do Goofy with me in 2013 but didn't train and ended up running the half only. I know he WANTS to do Goofy but right now he's recovering from a car accident, so I'm not sure he'll be ready for 2015. :(

I found the weather in November to be bearable but humid. Of course I think I was a little more used to it since I do a good amount of running on the treadmill. I'm sure you will have a great time!!

plaz10

I've had those pumpkin pancakes at Kona. And I'm with you... they were such a letdown compared to my expectations!

Weekend nights + Food and Wine Festival = Total Drunkfest in World Showcase. Wait a second, considering this little equation, maybe we should take the "cabana" to Epcot next year?! Who's in? @Howe @plaz10 @sweetpee_1993 @Tiggerish @Tiggerfanatic ??

I've been re-reading Wine & Dine half TR in prep for next month and came across this gem!

So excited to take our cabana to Wine & Dine in just a little over a month!! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom