Fixing Mk's Tomorrow Land

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
With the Magic Kingdoms 50th coming up one rumor is that tomorrow's an will get redone with a replacement for Stitch, laugh floor and the speedway I have a hard time figuring out how they would go about that. Other than a lot of Ip tie ins or with bringing back old rides. So how would you do it keep in mind that the rumored budget was 350 million. I will try to come up with ideas myself.

Chris82

Ooh good and challenging question. If it were up to me, I would do as much as I can to restore the "60's kitsch" future of the 90's New Tomorrowland. I really liked that theme - MUCH better than the overdone steampunk Discoveryland theme that sometimes pops up in Tomorrowland. 90's New Tomorrowland had humor, optimism, and fun. Here's a list of what I would do to "fix" Tomorrowland ;)
  • Cleanup and restore Carousel of Progress
  • Restore the kitschy announcer to the PeopleMover
  • Add new theming to the entrance/exit to Space Mountain
  • Convert Tomorrowland Terrace to the Astronomers Club
  • Move Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin to where Stitch's Great Escape currently sits
  • Create a new E-ticket dark ride in the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor/Buzz Lightyear building
I would theme the Space Mountain queue to a fun, alien-filled spaceport, with animatronic gags based on modern airports. Like maybe have a shoeshine station where an alien with two-hundred legs is idly reading an alien newspaper, and the poor shoeshine droid is sparking and smoking trying to shine all those shoes. We might also see a Best-Buy-style vending machine selling earbuds for every conceivable sensory organ. A long angry line of aliens with mixed-up luggage might be fuming and yelling at the poor bespectacled starline droid at the customer service counter. There would also be a Starbucks. The Star Tunnel music would stay, because it's awesome.

I would convert the Terrace into a two story restaurant with table service at the top and counter service below. Instead of going for a steampunk theme, which would not be as "transitional" between Main Street and Tomorrowland as Disney might think, I would go for a classical Greek theme, which goes well with everything. The Astronomer's Club would be themed around the ancient Greek and Roman fascination with the heavens, and would feature Greek and otherwise Mediterranean cuisine. The ceiling would be a full-functioning planetarium (Planet Hollywood or no Planet Hollywood) and everything would be stately white columns, greenery, and frescoes depicting constellations and planets. Plaques below each constellation would explain the myth - Orion, Scorpius, Cassiopeia, Ursa Major all get their "back stories." Telescopes placed around the lower story would allow kids to peer out and see animated alien gags.

The most challenging piece of the puzzle is Avenue of the Planets - of the three current attractions, I hate one, love one, and feel kind of meh about the third. So I would upgrade Buzz Lightyear to be a bit more like Disneyland's Astro Blasters and move it to the Stitch's building (which might require the removal of the adjacent shop - but I feel like it could be done). Across the Avenue, though, I would want a whole new ride... but what?

My first temptation would be to do a pulp-horror themed ride like "Attack of the Mutant Spider Monsters," which I would love, but probably wouldn't go over well in Magic Kingdom (see: Alien Encounter). So instead, I would try to do a ride that combines the beauty of Peter Pan's Flight with the optimism of Horizons - I'd call it something like "Flying Saucer Adventure." The idea would be that guests board flying saucers that soar, swoop, and dip through a full-scale, night-lit recreation of the towers and spires of Progress City. The soundtrack should be suitably epic - like a combination of John Williams' "Theme from Hook" and space rock. We would see gags like families and dogs with jet packs, jet-powered surfboards, pneumatic tubes and conveyer belts, and other animatronic recreations of far-out technological dreams.

What do you think? ;p

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
Ooh good and challenging question. If it were up to me, I would do as much as I can to restore the "60's kitsch" future of the 90's New Tomorrowland. I really liked that theme - MUCH better than the overdone steampunk Discoveryland theme that sometimes pops up in Tomorrowland. 90's New Tomorrowland had humor, optimism, and fun. Here's a list of what I would do to "fix" Tomorrowland ;)
  • Cleanup and restore Carousel of Progress
  • Restore the kitschy announcer to the PeopleMover
  • Add new theming to the entrance/exit to Space Mountain
  • Convert Tomorrowland Terrace to the Astronomers Club
  • Move Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin to where Stitch's Great Escape currently sits
  • Create a new E-ticket dark ride in the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor/Buzz Lightyear building
I would theme the Space Mountain queue to a fun, alien-filled spaceport, with animatronic gags based on modern airports. Like maybe have a shoeshine station where an alien with two-hundred legs is idly reading an alien newspaper, and the poor shoeshine droid is sparking and smoking trying to shine all those shoes. We might also see a Best-Buy-style vending machine selling earbuds for every conceivable sensory organ. A long angry line of aliens with mixed-up luggage might be fuming and yelling at the poor bespectacled starline droid at the customer service counter. There would also be a Starbucks. The Star Tunnel music would stay, because it's awesome.

I would convert the Terrace into a two story restaurant with table service at the top and counter service below. Instead of going for a steampunk theme, which would not be as "transitional" between Main Street and Tomorrowland as Disney might think, I would go for a classical Greek theme, which goes well with everything. The Astronomer's Club would be themed around the ancient Greek and Roman fascination with the heavens, and would feature Greek and otherwise Mediterranean cuisine. The ceiling would be a full-functioning planetarium (Planet Hollywood or no Planet Hollywood) and everything would be stately white columns, greenery, and frescoes depicting constellations and planets. Plaques below each constellation would explain the myth - Orion, Scorpius, Cassiopeia, Ursa Major all get their "back stories." Telescopes placed around the lower story would allow kids to peer out and see animated alien gags.

The most challenging piece of the puzzle is Avenue of the Planets - of the three current attractions, I hate one, love one, and feel kind of meh about the third. So I would upgrade Buzz Lightyear to be a bit more like Disneyland's Astro Blasters and move it to the Stitch's building (which might require the removal of the adjacent shop - but I feel like it could be done). Across the Avenue, though, I would want a whole new ride... but what?

My first temptation would be to do a pulp-horror themed ride like "Attack of the Mutant Spider Monsters," which I would love, but probably wouldn't go over well in Magic Kingdom (see: Alien Encounter). So instead, I would try to do a ride that combines the beauty of Peter Pan's Flight with the optimism of Horizons - I'd call it something like "Flying Saucer Adventure." The idea would be that guests board flying saucers that soar, swoop, and dip through a full-scale, night-lit recreation of the towers and spires of Progress City. The soundtrack should be suitably epic - like a combination of John Williams' "Theme from Hook" and space rock. We would see gags like families and dogs with jet packs, jet-powered surfboards, pneumatic tubes and conveyer belts, and other animatronic recreations of far-out technological dreams.

What do you think? ;p
That's pretty good I like the Alien spaceport queue for Space mountain. The astronomers club was originally a tie in with the timekeeper right? All around pretty good ideas. Maybe put the Flying saucer where the speedway is and put a timekeeper E ticket attraction like star tours where laugh floor and buzz were.

Chris82

That's pretty good I like the Alien spaceport queue for Space mountain. The astronomers club was originally a tie in with the timekeeper right? All around pretty good ideas. Maybe put the Flying saucer where the speedway is and put a timekeeper E ticket attraction like star tours where laugh floor and buzz were.

I think the Astronomer's Club was supposed to be a tie-in to Timekeeper, but I see no reason why it has to be. In fact, I'm in the minority of Disney fans who really didn't like Timekeeper - it was an excellent idea, but the humor didn't really work, and there was not enough awe and wonder. I'm also in the minority in that I kinda like the speedway... (shame)

Thinking about it now, I put "Starbucks" in Space Mountain as an airport joke but it occured to me that a REAL Jetsons-like coffee shop in the former Tomorrowland arcade with cappucino-robots and a futuristic-deco feel could be awesome. Just a thought :D

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
Thinking about it now, I put "Starbucks" in Space Mountain as an airport joke but it occured to me that a REAL Jetsons-like coffee shop in the former Tomorrowland arcade with cappucino-robots and a futuristic-deco feel could be awesome. Just a thought :D[/QUOTE] this would be great

The90skid

1. Stitch gets ditched and replaced with a gift shop or restaurant with the tube still in tact. Use the old Alien animatronics as a theme.
  2. Laugh Floor gets gutted and replaced with a simulator ride where you actually get to control the simulator. There are a handful of simulators in the parks, but why can't there be one that actually puts the rider in control? I have no theming ideas for it.
  3. Buzz gets a good facelift. I really enjoy this ride, and I want it to look better than it currently does.
  4. Space Mountain needs a facelift as well. The music would definitely stay, but little details on the ride need to be improved.

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
  1. Stitch gets ditched and replaced with a gift shop or restaurant with the tube still in tact. Use the old Alien animatronics as a theme.
  2. Laugh Floor gets gutted and replaced with a simulator ride where you actually get to control the simulator. There are a handful of simulators in the parks, but why can't there be one that actually puts the rider in control? I have no theming ideas for it.
  3. Buzz gets a good facelift. I really enjoy this ride, and I want it to look better than it currently does.
  4. Space Mountain needs a facelift as well. The music would definitely stay, but little details on the ride need to be improved.
The alien restaurant would be pretty cool it could probably be like be our guest with three different rooms with sir and skippy entertaining one room and the alien entertaining the others

Clover Bailey

Here is my personal idea:

• Take the Buzz Lightyear theming out and just have it as "Space Shooter Spin" since we already have Toy Story Land coming soon.
  • Turn one of the Stitch theaters into a new Alien Encounter, so both little kids and nostalgia addicts are happy.
  • Change the theming of Space Mountain's exit into modern airport gags like shoe-shiners, Shooting-Starbucks, duty free and security.
  • Raise Space Mountain soundtrack volume and add set pieces like UFO's and meteors.
  • Change the Laugh Floor into a Monsters Inc. dark ride.
  • And last, a new simulator attraction based off Big Hero 6.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom