Fish Extender Gifts...

21stamps

Original Poster
Help from DCL veterans please!!

I need to start on my FE gifts. I do not have the time or energy to make 50something hand made elaborate crafty personalized gifts, so here is what I'm considering (based on Pinterest ideas)

For the Boys- Lego "mini Fantasy" sets.

For the Girls- ??? I have to split teenagers and younger girls with this probably. Clueless at the moment.

For the Women- Pop up hampers with the DCL logo painted on. I need advice from veterans on this one- is it a common gift and most will already have one?

For the Men- ????? DCL koozies maybe? Please give me ideas!!

Remember- nothing too 'crafty' please, I just don't have the time.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Fifty-something gifts?!!! Wow, that's a lot! Biggest FE group I've ever had was 27.

My experience is limited to the group of ladies that I sail with, so I've never had to worry about gifts for men or kids, but here are some ideas that a friend of mine shared with me before my first cruise, when I had no idea what a FE exchange was, together with some of the things I've given/gotten over the past few years. I've rarely given or gotten anything that's specifically DCL-themed (it has happened, just not frequently). Many of the ideas below would work for either gender or age group, I think. :)

• Snacks. One year, I'd just come back from Ireland so my FE gifts were Irish candy. Another one of my friends who is from Chicago, gave an assortment of candies that are made there (tootsie rolls, tootsie pop, lemonheads, etc.). You could order customized Hershey bars. One of the girls who is from Pittsburgh always gives us a bar of Sarris chocolate. IMO, edibles or consumables are great, because you don't have to pack them up to take home!
  • Mini bottles of liquor. You could attach/include a cocktail recipe using whatever liquor you give.
  • Tide pods (for onboard laundry).
  • Homemade postcards to send to family while gone using stock pics of the ship.
  • Picture frame with a Mickey & anchor glued on.
  • Poncho for parks afterwards
  • Nail clippers always handy as a McGyver tool when traveling. Other grooming aids, too. One year I gave everyone one of those big emery boards with a Mary Englebreit design/saying on them. Last year, got a bag with a travel mirror, a nail polish an emery board and a bath bomb. I gave a Bath & Body Works anti-bac with holder last year. Lip balm!
  • Mickey bandaids. Star Wars bandaids.
  • I don't know if it qualifies as "too crafty", but one of my favorites was a mini-cookbook. One of my friends printed out a bunch of her favorite recipes in booklet form. That could be as simple as a couple of staples. :)
  • Those "magic" washcloths (they're the size of a ring box until you put them in water)
  • Bookmarks.
  • Travel mug or tervis tumbler. These are handy for the drink stations, instead of the small paper cups that are stocked there.
  • A sleep mask that had the word "Dream" embroidered on it (we were sailing on the Disney Dream, so this was particularly clever)
  • Funky patterned socks. There's a website called foottraffic that has some neat novelty socks and I'm pretty sure they offer a volume discount.
Hopefully you found some useful ideas there. I've gotta get back to work!! :eek:

Edit: Do you have a Michael's Arts & Crafts nearby? Stop by their dollar bins, I've found lots of good FE gifts there, they have monogrammed items, pens, notepads, magnetic pads (one year, I gave everyone a bag of monograms--their initial on a matching pad, pen, and ornament). And the aforementioned Mary Engelbreit emery board. ;)

Edit #2: Are you aware that you can ship (UPS or post office) your FE gifts to yourself and they'll be delivered directly to your stateroom? This is incredibly helpful if your gifts are bulky and/or heavy. The cost of shipping is probably going to be a lot less than paying airline fees for extra baggage.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Fifty-something gifts?!!! Wow, that's a lot! Biggest FE group I've ever had was 27.

My experience is limited to the group of ladies that I sail with, so I've never had to worry about gifts for men or kids, but here are some ideas that a friend of mine shared with me before my first cruise, when I had no idea what a FE exchange was, together with some of the things I've given/gotten over the past few years. I've rarely given or gotten anything that's specifically DCL-themed (it has happened, just not frequently). Many of the ideas below would work for either gender or age group, I think. :)

• Snacks. One year, I'd just come back from Ireland so my FE gifts were Irish candy. Another person, who is from Chicago, gave an assortment of candies that are made there (tootsie rolls, tootsie pop, lemonheads, etc.). You could order customized Hershey bars. One of my friends who is from Pittsburgh always gives us a bar of Sarris chocolate. IMO, edibles or consumables are great, because you don't have to pack them up to take home!
  • Mini bottles of liquor. You could attach/include a cocktail recipe using whatever liquor you give.
  • Tide pods (for onboard laundry).
  • Homemade postcards to send to family while gone using stock pics of the ship.
  • Picture frame with a Mickey & anchor glued on.
  • Poncho for parks afterwards
  • Nail clippers always handy as a McGyver tool when traveling. Other grooming aids, too. One year I gave everyone one of those big emery boards with a Mary Englebreit design/saying on them. Last year, got a bag with a travel mirror, a nail polish an emery board and a bath bomb. I gave a Bath & Body Works anti-bac with holder last year. Lip balm!
  • Mickey bandaids. Star Wars bandaids.
  • I don't know if it qualifies as "too crafty", but one of my favorites was a mini-cookbook. One of my friends printed out a bunch of her favorite recipes in booklet form. That could be as simple as a couple of staples. :)
  • Those "magic" washcloths (they're the size of a ring box until you put them in water)
  • Bookmarks.
  • Travel mug or tervis tumbler. These are handy for the drink stations, instead of the small paper cups that are stocked there.
  • A sleep mask that had the word "Dream" embroidered on it (we were sailing on the Disney Dream, so this was particularly clever)
  • Funky patterned socks. There's a website called foottraffic that has some neat novelty socks and I'm pretty sure they offer a volume discount.
Hopefully you found some useful ideas there. I've gotta get back to work!! :eek:

Edit: Do you have a Michael's Arts & Crafts nearby? Stop by their dollar bins, I've found lots of good FE gifts there, they have monogrammed items, pens, notepads, magnetic pads (one year, I gave everyone a bag of monograms--their initial on a matching pad, pen, and ornament).

Edit #2: Are you aware that you can ship (UPS or post office) your FE gifts to yourself and they'll be delivered directly to your stateroom? This is incredibly helpful if your gifts are bulky and/or heavy. The cost of shipping is probably going to be a lot less than paying airline fees for extra baggage.
Thank you for the ideas!! B I actually backed out of my first group once it was over 75 people. I don't have luggage space for that! Luckily others agreed, and now we have a few smaller groups as well.

I feel bad because everyone lists a "favorite character", and I probably won't do any character items- maybe Mickey. It's also a very Merrytime cruise, so I thought something Christmas themed might be nice, but I'm not sure if everyone celebrates Christmas.

Your ideas help a lot. Thanks again!!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I don't have luggage space for that

Checking to see if I'd made my "Edit #2" before you saw the post--don't waste space in your luggage, you can ship your FE gifts to yourself and they'll be delivered directly to your stateroom. I'll find the instructions.

21stamps

Original Poster
Also, I'm a very "anti clutter" person. So I'm mindful of that as well and really do want to give things that people will actually use. I see so many elaborate homemade gifts, but like o said, for me there is just no way that I could accomplish it. I need to start working on this soon!

21stamps

Original Poster
Checking to see if I'd made my "Edit #2" before you saw the post--don't waste space in your luggage, you can ship your FE gifts to yourself and they'll be delivered directly to your stateroom. I'll find the instructions.
Thank you! That would be great!

I do have a Michaels and Hobby Lobby nearby.. I'll check them out!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Here are the instructions for shipping to your stateroom:

ONE box per stateroom, no exceptions.
• The package must have the guest full name, ship, sailing date, stateroom number or GTY if you have not been assigned a stateroom number.
• The package also must have a packing slip attached to the outside of the box that details the contents of the package. For prescriptions, a copy of the prescription is sufficient. Your list may or may not be read but it must have one. Write packing slip on the outside of the envelope.
• NO FOODS/DRINKS OF ANY KIND, LIQUOR OF ANY KIND, FIREARMS, ETC.. Items that cannot be shipped to the Disney Cruise Line Warehouse and delivered to the ship include: food products (any and all food products including baby food/formula), beverages (liquor, water, etc.), chemicals, and luggage. These items will not be accepted at the warehouse and will be returned. This may cause the dogs to hit on your box and that would be a bad thing.
• The required size of the cartons you are shipping down have to be about the size of a record storage box 12 inches on a side and should not weigh more than 20 lbs.
• Packages must arrive by 3:00 pm on the business day before your cruise (so if you set sail on Saturday or Sunday, package needs to arrive on Friday)

Address your package(s) to:
Disney Cruise Line Warehouse
Guest Name / Stateroom # (GTY, if you don't know what it is when you send the package)
8633 Transport Drive
Orlando, FL 32832
Phone: 407-566-8196

In the bottom left corner of the top of the package put the following information: ATTN: HOUSEKEEPING
*Name
*Sail Date
*Ship
*Stateroom Number
*Packing slip that details contents of the package (for prescriptions, a copy of the prescription is sufficient)

21stamps

Original Poster
Here are the instructions for shipping to your stateroom:

ONE box per stateroom, no exceptions.
• The package must have the guest full name, ship, sailing date, stateroom number or GTY if you have not been assigned a stateroom number.
• The package also must have a packing slip attached to the outside of the box that details the contents of the package. For prescriptions, a copy of the prescription is sufficient. Your list may or may not be read but it must have one. Write packing slip on the outside of the envelope.
• NO FOODS/DRINKS OF ANY KIND, LIQUOR OF ANY KIND, FIREARMS, ETC.. Items that cannot be shipped to the Disney Cruise Line Warehouse and delivered to the ship include: food products (any and all food products including baby food/formula), beverages (liquor, water, etc.), chemicals, and luggage. These items will not be accepted at the warehouse and will be returned. This may cause the dogs to hit on your box and that would be a bad thing.
• The required size of the cartons you are shipping down have to be about the size of a record storage box 12 inches on a side and should not weigh more than 20 lbs.
• Packages must arrive by 3:00 pm on the business day before your cruise (so if you set sail on Saturday or Sunday, package needs to arrive on Friday)

Address your package(s) to:
Disney Cruise Line Warehouse
Guest Name / Stateroom # (GTY, if you don't know what it is when you send the package)
8633 Transport Drive
Orlando, FL 32832
Phone: 407-566-8196

In the bottom left corner of the top of the package put the following information: ATTN: HOUSEKEEPING
*Name
*Sail Date
*Ship
*Stateroom Number
*Packing slip that details contents of the package (for prescriptions, a copy of the prescription is sufficient)
Wow, thank you so much for this info!!!!! This helps tremendously!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom