First trip!! Tips and feedback please

the-reason14

Original Poster
So in a little over a month I will be traveling for the first time internationally to Paris. Of course within the 8 days that I'm there, I plan on visiting Disneyland Paris for two of them. We will be staying in Paris, not far from the Eiffel Tower, so my first question is what is the best way to get from Paris to DLP? Secondly, how are the crowds this time of year and in general? To be honest, I'm not really expecting big big Anaheim Disneyland or WDW level crowds, but it's Disney so you can never not expect them. Also, any must do shows, fireworks, or parades to see? Not familiar with the shows at all over there, not a huge fan of them, but I wouldn't want to travel all that way and miss out on something unique and amazing. And lastly, are the fastpasses set up like in Cali or Fla? Thanks for any tips and feedback provided.

Den Carter

By far the easiest way from central Paris is via the RER A line (which is part of Paris' mass transit network). Journey time is about 40 mins depending on your starting point. A bit longer if you're on the Eiffel Tower side of town. A fare of about €8 will take you from any local Metro (underground) or train station to Disneyland (which is a few yards from Marne-La-Valee station). Where exactly are you staying?

Crowds in mid September will be quiet-ish. With the massive amount of construction going on the parks are a lot quieter this year anyway. The 'big' closures during your visit will be Big Thunder and Star Tours.

Fastpass is the 'old' system. We haven't had the electronic upgrade yet - although rumour is it's coming soon. So you physically visit the booths near each attraction and collect a paper ticket with a return time. You can hold one Fastpass at a time.

In terms of shows, in Disneyland Park the parade is nice, but you certainly won't be blown away if you're used to Festival of Fantasy. Worth a watch if you have time, though. The Frozen stage show is great if you have kids. The must-see is Disney Dreams, which plays at park closing on and around the castle. Think of it as a mash-up of Celebrate The Magic and Wishes - but better than both.

In Studios, the new Mickey And The Magician show is well worth seeing.

peep

Den has pretty much covered most of the basics.

For help planning your Paris travel, use the official website ratp.fr

The Studios may have the new Mickey and the Magician show but don't miss out on the amazing Cinemagique, think of The Great movie ride in a special show.

the-reason14

Original Poster
Thank you guys so much!! I really appreciate it. I'm sad I won't be able to see Thunder Mountain, but I'm glad Space, Pirates, and Phantom will be open as they are all so different then what we have here. As far as where exactly we're staying, not entirely sure lol. I just know that it's not terribly far from the Eiffel Tower, maybe a 10 minute stroll. Still have a lot of research and planning to do, I just want as much of a stress free trip as possible. Thanks again.

PiratesMansion

Spend most of your time in Disneyland and minimize your time in the Studios. Don't do the backlot tour, it's 15 minutes of your life you will never get back. In Disneyland Park, take some time to slow down and really explore-it really benefits from close examination, even more so than the U.S. parks, and the design is spectacular. Don't forget to stop underneath the castle and see the dragon!

Walt's was the best restaurant for decor and atmosphere (the food was only ok). If you are in the Studios for lunch then I do recommend the Ratatouille restaurant as well, also interesting and much better food.

Check out Foxx's post from her trip, it's spot-on: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/10/disneyland-paris-for-nerds-guide.html

Enjoy your trip!

Den Carter

Spend most of your time in Disneyland and minimize your time in the Studios. Don't do the backlot tour, it's 15 minutes of your life you will never get back. In Disneyland Park, take some time to slow down and really explore-it really benefits from close examination, even more so than the U.S. parks, and the design is spectacular. Don't forget to stop underneath the castle and see the dragon!

Walt's was the best restaurant for decor and atmosphere (the food was only ok). If you are in the Studios for lunch then I do recommend the Ratatouille restaurant as well, also interesting and much better food.

Check out Foxx's post from her trip, it's spot-on: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/10/disneyland-paris-for-nerds-guide.html

Enjoy your trip!

As a British Ameriphile I loved reading that report from an American's perspective of DLP. It's so interesting what Americans notice about European people, and what you might consider rude behaviour. In fact, so many of the things Europeans find rude about Americans are the same things in reverse!

It's a very fair write-up, though. DLP isn't perfect - but the current enhancement programme will make it pretty close to brilliant by next summer! It is, however, hands down the most beautiful Disney Park - in the Western Hemisphere at least!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Don't plan on getting good food at DLP, we were very disappointed in their offerings. Especially after we spent 5 days in Paris with never a bad meal (and we didn't research any places to eat, just had good luck). The best food we had was at table service restaurants like Walts (although the restaurant was filthy), bistro chez remy, and buffalo bills Wild West show. Earl of sandwich was on par with the ones we'd eaten at in Disneyland and WDW.

Last edited:

Den Carter

Don't plan on getting good food at DLP, we were very disappointed in their offerings. Especially after we spent 5 days in Paris with never a bad meal (and we didn't research any places to eat, just had good luck). The best food we had was at table service restaurants like Walts (although the restaurant was filthy), bistro chez rely, and buffalo bills Wild West show. Earl of sandwich was on par with the ones we'd eaten at in Disneyland and WDW.

I would imagine that if your regular diet is American food, you'll be disappointed with the general diet and portion control in France. Counter service in DLP is indeed mediocre, but some of the table restaurants are superb, IMHO. If it's the quick-bite option you're after, I think the best bet is at Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village.

fosse76

Looks like you'll be there around the same time I will be! My recommendation is to visit on the weekdays. Last September I went on a Sunday and again on the following Tuesday. Sunday was packed, with hour-long waits or more on everything from POC to Star Tours. When I visited again on the following Tuesday, it was dead. You won't need to spend much time in the Studios, two hours should enable you to visit all the rides. To me, it felt less like a Disney park than any of the other castle parks. I think the size of the park, with a lot more green space, in addition to some unique architecture is what contributes to that feeling.

As said above, RER A (red line) will get you to DLP in less than an hour from Paris. It's pretty easy to use, just make sure you are going in the right direction. It'll be obvious, but also be attentive, not every train goes to DLP. Also, the RER A isn't near the Eiffel Tower, so you will need to get to one of the stops, the two closest to the Eiffel Tower are
Charles de Gaulle Étoile (at L'Arc de Triomphe) and Auber (near the Garnier Opera House).

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I would imagine that if your regular diet is American food, you'll be disappointed with the general diet and portion control in France. Counter service in DLP is indeed mediocre, but some of the table restaurants are superb, IMHO. If it's the quick-bite option you're after, I think the best bet is at Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village.

Thanks for the condescension, I mentioned quality of food not quantity. I had no problem with portion sizes in France at all, that includes DLP. Also the quality of food I had in Paris and other parts of France were excellent. DLP restaurants, we're not up to par. In my post I did mention three table service meals that had decent food. I was merely trying to tell the original poster not to expect as good of food as they might find in Paris. Many websites, books, and podcasts I used to prepare for my trip all mentioned the poor food in DLP. The only restaurant I compared to the American Disney parks was Earl of Sandwich.

I find it offensive that you would insinuate that just because I'm American I can only be pleased with a meal if it has a large portion size.

Den Carter

Thanks for the condescension, I mentioned quality of food not quantity. I had no problem with portion sizes in France at all, that includes DLP. Also the quality of food I had in Paris and other parts of France were excellent. DLP restaurants, we're not up to par. In my post I did mention three table service meals that had decent food. I was merely trying to tell the original poster not to expect as good of food as they might find in Paris. Many websites, books, and podcasts I used to prepare for my trip all mentioned the poor food in DLP. The only restaurant I compared to the American Disney parks was Earl of Sandwich.

I find it offensive that you would insinuate that just because I'm American I can only be pleased with a meal if it has a large portion size.

Apologies if what I wrote made you feel that way - it certainly wasn't the intention; the opposite, in fact. I agree the quality of food at DLP is inconsistent. I prefer the food quality (and quantity) in the US parks myself. I also find catering in general to be of a more consistent standard in the US in general as opposed to France. But, conversely, some of my favourite meals ever have also been at DLP! Consistency is key here. My post was intended to support yours, not contradict it or antagonise.

I do think it's fair to say that in general portion sizes are smaller in Europe than the US. This isn't me insinuating anything about anybody. As I said, in general I'd prefer to eat in a restaurant in America than a European one - but due to a number of factors (quality, ingredients, cultural taste, farming methods, cooking methods, portion control, service standards), consumers used to eating the dietary norms of one country will find they need to adapt when visiting another. I also travel a lot across the world. I've never found an Asian restaurant outside Asia that resembles a restaurant in Asia, nor have I ever found an American restaurant in Europe that's a patch on a restaurant in America.

I hope that makes sense and clears up any offence my post may have unintentionally caused.

Last edited:

MagicalMaci

In the Parks
Yes
I think you've gotten some great advice already! DLP is very easily accessible via train and then both parks and Downtown Disney are walking distance, similar to California. What sticks out most from my trip there was the details! I loved just strolling Disneyland Paris and taking in all of the areas and little bits and pieces there. We also loved the (then) new Ratatouille area in the Studios and thought Crush's Coaster was cute. We enjoyed Cinemagique as well and found it very unique. I'd probably pass up Tower of Terror over there if I was short on time but definitely don't miss the nighttime fireworks show! Enjoy your trip :)

JillC LI

We visited DLP for the first time last year. We took the RER from Paris and it was very easy. Don't miss Ratatouille, Crush, Pirates, Phantom Manor, the dragon below the castle. Alice's Labyrinth is cute too. FPs are the old system which is nice. We loved Animagique but that's gone now. Armageddon is very skippable unless you speak French. I understood parts of it, but my family had no clue what was going on and found it incredibly boring. We really enjoyed our day at the parks and I'm sure you will too.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Apologies if what I wrote made you feel that way - it certainly wasn't the intention; the opposite, in fact. I agree the quality of food at DLP is inconsistent. I prefer the food quality (and quantity) in the US parks myself. I also find catering in general to be of a more consistent standard in the US in general as opposed to France. But, conversely, some of my favourite meals ever have also been at DLP! Consistency is key here. My post was intended to support yours, not contradict it or antagonise.

I do think it's fair to say that in general portion sizes are smaller in Europe than the US. This isn't me insinuating anything about anybody. As I said, in general I'd prefer to eat in a restaurant in America than a European one - but due to a number of factors (quality, ingredients, cultural taste, farming methods, cooking methods, portion control, service standards), consumers used to eating the dietary norms of one country will find they need to adapt when visiting another. I also travel a lot across the world. I've never found an Asian restaurant outside Asia that resembles a restaurant in Asia, nor have I ever found an American restaurant in Europe that's a patch on a restaurant in America.

I hope that makes sense and clears up any offence my post may have unintentionally caused.

Ok, no biggie I guess. :)

the-reason14

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your feedback. @Den Carter your post stuck out to me the most. I know culture is different overseas so I definitely do not want to do or say anything that will be rude. So I'm researching stuff like that now. Also, is it better to already have tickets to the parks before we get there, or is it ok to buy at the gate? I've heard lines can be long for other Paris attractions, and I don't want to get there and have to wait in too long of a line. But as of now that is the plan just because a lot of money has been spent on other things and it'll be better to wait until we're actually there. Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

Den Carter

Thank you everyone for your feedback. @Den Carter your post stuck out to me the most. I know culture is different overseas so I definitely do not want to do or say anything that will be rude. So I'm researching stuff like that now. Also, is it better to already have tickets to the parks before we get there, or is it ok to buy at the gate? I've heard lines can be long for other Paris attractions, and I don't want to get there and have to wait in too long of a line. But as of now that is the plan just because a lot of money has been spent on other things and it'll be better to wait until we're actually there. Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

For me cultural differences between people is on of the biggest reasons to travel. I find it fascinating and inspiring. I've travelled most of the world. In some cases, like many states of the US, multiple times. I still sometimes manage to do or say something inappropriate from time to time, but it's a learning curve and helps us all grow. If it's your first time in France you'll probably be most surprised by the fact their definition of a friendly and welcoming demeanour is somewhat different! Oh, and personal space boundaries are far closer than they are in America!

Buying tickets is a minefield! They're definitely cheaper if you buy in advance, but different retailers have different deals. Right now there are some special offers on the UK DLP site - three days for the price of two. Not sure if these are replicated on the US version of the site. It's worth shopping around a few other retailers to compare prices, though. With the dollar being strong against the euro, you're likely to find a better than average deal! (I can tell you for certain I'm being screwed on currency for my WDW trip next week.... It really hurts...)

Good luck :)

BrerJon

In the studios, do the coasters early as they have a habit of going down - Ratatouille is the headline with the longest lines, but isn't that amazing so use the single rider line for that, you'll save a huge amount of time. Do Crush early, always has a long line but worth doing once, and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster tends to go down so that's worth doing, and their Tower of Terror is quite nice.

In Disneyland Parc, Space Mountain now has a new single rider line which means it's always a walk-on, but even the regular line isn't that long, given it's the best coaster in the resort that's surprising. Other lines should be no more than 10-20 minutes, so it should be quite manageable.

Also don't miss some of the smaller things, like Mysteries de Nautilus, the dragon in the castle, the caves in Adventure Isle or the Alice maze. They're all nice touches that add to the day.

Last edited:

peep

^Should be noted that the Space Mountain single rider queue isn't always open.

If you do end up queuing for Crush's coaster the outside portion of the queue has wi-fi and a browser-based game.

the-reason14

Original Poster
Thanks guys so much for the feedback. One other question or two actually. Where is a good place to get cheap tickets? Is there a website I could maybe purchase the tickets here in America for cheap? And also if I were to take the rer train. Is it impossible to get there as soon as the park opens? Thanks again in advance.

Den Carter

Thanks guys so much for the feedback. One other question or two actually. Where is a good place to get cheap tickets? Is there a website I could maybe purchase the tickets here in America for cheap? And also if I were to take the rer train. Is it impossible to get there as soon as the park opens? Thanks again in advance.

I can answer your second question. The RER A from central Paris to DLP starts about 5:30am, and the park generally opens at 10, so yes, you can easily get there for park opening. Aim to catch the train about 9am and you'll be fine!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom