Pre-Trip First Trip in 6 Years with a WDW First-Timer!!!

Hello fellow Disney fans!

This is my first pre-trip report ever, and I tend to be a very detailed person, so I am apologizing in advance!!

I would consider myself a Disney veteran, having been to The World at least 8 separate times not including the year I had annual passes while living in Florida. However, I realized that is has been at least 6 years since I have been to Walt Disney World, and that needs to be fixed. I will admit that I have been frequenting Universal Studios more in the past several years. Don’t throw stones at me just yet! I am an absolute Harry Potter nerd, so I’m sure you can understand the draw for me…AND I was able to get free passes on several occasions from a good family friend, so that’s hard to pass up!

However, 6 years feels far too long in between visits so I am righting that wrong this year! I am also incredibly excited because my boyfriend will be joining me and he has never been to WDW (minus 1 day at DHS a million years ago – so I don’t really count that!)

Here I am at 5 years old on my first Disney trip…check out those pigtails!
upload_2016-7-18_20-34-57.png

As for the background of the trip, here we go….

We (my boyfriend Mark and I) began discussing a possible Disney trip around January of this year. We had been talking about how it would be awesome to go to WDW together and really take a full week to enjoy ourselves. In the past, our trips to Universal are 2-3 days on average and are a supplemented by to 2-3 days at my mom’s house in the Vero Beach area, and it always feels like a non-stop whirlwind. Knowing how much there is to see/do/eat at WDW I explained that a full week would be ideal (necessary). At this point we were honestly just fantasizing about taking a trip and what that would be like.

With all of the talk and excitement though, we agreed that if we saved $xxxx.xx amount by a certain date that we would take a trip this year. Our past Universal trips have been at the end of September/beginning of October and we have always been able to get very good flight prices, and we think it’s a great time to go in terms of crowds/weather. We decided our “decision-date” should be by the beginning of August at the latest for us to be able to get a room/flight/ADRs/etc.

WELL! Thankfully to portions of our tax returns and being thrifty little-savers, we were able to reach that $$ goal by March. Even before it was set-in-stone I had already started my research because the idea was already tempting me! I had been checking Southwest flights on a daily basis for any good deals, and one day a great deal for the two of us popped up. I reserved it immediately. I still check every now and again to see if there is any better deal since Southwest has an easy cancellation policy, but I’ve snagged the best rate so far.

In my research I discovered several blogs that I found to be incredibly helpful. What I did before Pinterest, Twitter, Forums, Blogs, etc. is beyond me! These blogs are where I first learned about Disney’s Free Dining promotion. I had never heard of this before and I was very excited to learn more since it would be (most likely) taking place when we were there (the dates hadn’t been announced yet.) I read everything I could about the Free Dining Promo and knew I really wanted to try and nab a spot.

Before even learning about Free Dining I was mentally planning our trips around what we would eat. The boy and I can seriously put back some food, so I figured the dining plan is probably a great option for us. It will also just be the two of us, so we don’t have to worry about kid-friendly options and things of that nature, so I knew I wanted to enjoy some good TS options.

I had heard plenty of mixed reviews about the dining plan previously, but when I calculated out what I would most likely order at the restaurants I wanted to go to, it seemed like I would break-even or come out on top. AND if we were able to get the free dining, we would be in a great spot.

I also did the math out in comparison to a room only discount, but we would be in better shape with the Free Dining promo. I’m also one of those people that has a hard time justifying spending that much money on a hotel room where I basically plan on showering and sleeping. That’s pretty much it on a Disney vacation for me. The rest of the time is in the parks, DS, water parks, etc. With all that said, a stay at the Poly or GF is on my bucket list of things to do at Disney! A girl can dream.

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
The Free Dining Extravaganza Begins:

Fast forward to the night before the free dining was announced. I knew it was rumored that it would be released soon, but no official dates had been mentioned. Then, I got an email from a trusted Disney Blog I follow and they got the advance notice that the dining promo would be on for the next day. That’s all I needed. I set my alarm for an ungodly hour and the anxiousness began!

I had already made a room reservation at POP in hopes I could just modify the reservation online, but I had no such luck. It looked like I would be needing to call a CM, which I knew would take quite some time. After being on hold for 2 and a half hours I was connected with a very sweet CM. Honestly, I was just so excited about the trip I really didn’t even care that I was on hold for that long. I explained to the CM that I was looking to add the free dining promo to my current package and gave him all my info. He put me on hold briefly to check into this. When he returned he came back with bad news. He explained that POP was already sold out for those dates already (2 hours into the promotion!) He did let me know that the room-only discount was going on and he could get me a room at CBR for a pretty good price. I figured since I couldn’t get the free dining I may as well upgrade my room for almost the same price that I would have been paying at POP.

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
Clearly, I’m a persistent stubborn person:

About a week and a half after my failed attempt for the free dining promo, I was still reading my new favorite Disney blog and had read for about the 6th time how they would recommend using an authorized Disney Travel Agent. I had never once given this a thought because I am so meticulous and a planner myself, that using someone else felt incredibly unnecessary (and quite possibly take the fun out of things for me). But, I began to think more and more about it and figured I would at least reach out for a quote. It’s free so what could it hurt? In the end, I am SO glad I did this because the wonderful authorized travel agent got me exactly the package I was wanting:

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
Let the Food Planning Commence….

That’s when the really crazy person in me took over. I knew getting ADR’s would be incredibly important during Free Dining and as I said, food was an integral part of our trip so I wanted to make sure I knew which restaurants were at the top of my list.
At that point I had about 2 weeks to decide where we would eat in order to start booking our reservations at the 180 day mark.

I feel like I should insert a disclaimer here just so you all don’t think I’m a crazy controlling person (even though I am!): I am a person who plans, it’s just in my nature. However, I did get my bf’s opinion every step of the way here because I really want him to enjoy his first WDW trip, but he has no interest in plans. He likes to go with the flow,and lets me do my planning thing. Disclaimer done.

I began my quest with many, many hand-written lists. I would find myself just jotting down different notes about places I read about, ideas for trying places I hadn’t ever eaten at, exploring restaurants at the resorts, specific dishes to order, etc. I also wanted to vary the types of meals as well (i.e. not Italian every night – even though that would be incredibly easy for me). In order to try and narrow things down in a realistic manner, I began to read review after review and used my previous experiences to come up with this original list:

The Yachtsman or Le Cellier
Be Our Guest – absolute must-do
Sanaa
Jiko
Boma
Yak & Yeti
Tutto Italia Ristorante
Coral Reef
California Grille or Artist’s Point
Bongos
Paradiso 37

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
Decision Time….

I think the toughest decision was between Le Cellier and The Yachtsman. Ultimately, someone’s review won me over for The Yachtsman. This person said, “You go to Le Cellier for the ambiance, you go to The Yachtsman for the steak.” That’s all I needed. The boyfriend could probably eat the Porterhouse for 2 without breaking a sweat.

After reading reviews of BoG and hearing about it from a friend who recently ate there I decided to opt for that as a lunch ADR as opposed to dinner. At that point I was trying to narrow down the options of Sanaa, Jiko, Boma & Yak & Yeti. Sanaa was ultimately the winner because of the reviews I read as well as the idea of getting to see animals while we eat is really fun.

I originally made reservations for Tutto Italia Ristorante when starting out, because we are both Italian and love Italian food. I know this gets incredibly mixed reviews, but I always enjoyed my meals there. However, after further consideration I switched it out for an ADR at Coral Reef. I have seen mixed reviews on this place as well, but I’ve never eaten there and I want to eat where Cory and Topanga ate and where Uncle Jesse tried proposing to Becky!

For another fancier option, California Grille won out over Artist’s Point because of the potential view of the fireworks and excellent reviews I read. I wanted to plan a nice dinner for our last night there and the idea of ending our trip with a nice dinner while watching the fireworks seems unbeatable.

Lastly was our option at Downtown Disney Springs (this will take some getting used to.) The bf works for LEGO so we knew we wanted to hit up DS at least one day and see the renovated store while we are there, so I figured why not eat while at DS as well. He really liked the sound of Bongos and enjoys Cuban food, so that was an easy decision. I don’t think it’s my favorite option, especially with all the new restaurants there, but it’s his first trip and I want him to enjoy himself as much as I know I’m going to.

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
The ADRs…

At this point, some of you super-smart and savvy Disney fans are probably noticing that I have two 2-credit TS ADRs on my list…how astute of you!

There is a reason to my madness, and I don’t plan on paying out of pocket for either of them. My reasoning: We will not be arriving at POP until very late on Monday night (11 p.m. ish) in which case we will not be using any of our dining plan credits. So there is 1 extra Snack, QS & TS credit for each of us.

Then we decided we cannot be that close to Universal and NOT go. Our whole day on Saturday will be spent casting spells and drinking butterbeer at Universal while wearing my Hufflepuff robes that I indulged in buying this past February: #nerds

upload_2016-7-19_10-0-13.png

Again, we won’t be using any of our dining plan credits that day either. If I am reading everything online correctly, that means we each have 2 extra TS, QS and Snack credits to use while we are there. Which means we can allocate the extra TS credits toward the 2-credit TS meals at Cali Grille and The Yachtsman.

Here is what our ADR schedule looks like:

Tuesday:
11:35 a.m. ADR – Be Our Guest
7:05 p.m. ADR – The Yachtsman

Wednesday:
5:55 p.m. ADR – Sanaa

Thursday:
5:25 p.m. ADR – Coral Reef

Friday:
5:30 p.m. ADR – Bongos

Saturday:
Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
Three Broomsticks
Leaky Cauldron

Sunday:
5:50 p.m. – ADR California Grille

I opted for an early ADR at Sanaa because we will go there after our day in AK since that would be easiest for transportation purposes. I also didn’t foresee see us staying all that long at that park either. However, this was before they announced the later hours, so that is a bit frustrating because I then have it planned where we will go see Wishes at MK after dinner since it’s one of the only nights we can with all of our other plans. I found it weird that Wishes was not scheduled each night of our trip, but it makes sense now knowing that MSNSSHP will be going on and the fireworks for that will be taking place instead. I am not going to miss seeing Wishes though!

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
Speaking of MNSSHP…

The boy is a huge Halloween fan and I had never done MNSSHP in all the times I have been to Disney. We discussed it further and thought it would be a fun item to tack on since we were doing so well with our budget already. I’m really looking forward to it, and feel like it will be an added element of fun for us, but he isn’t wanting to dress up since it will still be September when we go, so that’s a bummer! I was really trying to get him to go as Brer Fox so I can be Brer Rabbit but he thinks people won’t get it…oh how he doesn’t understand Disney fans.

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
Fast Pass+…

After getting the dining fun figured out, there isn’t much for us to do before making FP+ reservations. Of course, my packing list is already started (see below), and I am making several spreadsheets of our potential plans, must-do attractions and scoping out fun Disney gear to wear while there.

upload_2016-7-19_11-47-8.png

I am already choosing outfits and buying fun Mouse Ears I’ve found on Etsy, as well as some awesome customized TOMS because I find them incredibly comfortable to wear in the parks all day.

If anyone has any suggestions on things to bring, feel free to share!!

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
The Plans….

Because Mark has never been to Disney before, Magic Kingdom for the first day is pretty much a non-negotiable. It wouldn’t seem right to do any other park that first day. I think this is a good thing because our first day will be a Tuesday and I’ve read the crowds aren’t as bad as compared to a Sunday or Monday.

We are really wanting to see as many parades/fireworks/shows as possible and in order to make that work we will definitely be utilizing our Park Hopper passes. Not all fireworks, shows and parades are going on every night we are there, so it’s getting a bit tricky. Plus adding in our ADRs and the one night for MNSSHP we might have to get a bit creative.

Please let me know if any of you can think of a better way to make the plans happen or maybe make them more efficient. You will also notice I am trying to squeeze in time for a quick nap or just a bit of relaxation at the hotel each day so we aren’t worn out by day 3. None of these plans are set in stone, especially since we haven’t made FP+ reservations yet, so they could definitely change in 10 days when we can make them! It’s more of a guideline so I know when things like our ADRs are happening and when parades/shows are going on.

joshsprincess921

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to the trip and hoping I can use it to get my boyfriend to become a Disney fan who wants to return on a regular basis :D

I'm in the same boat as you. My fiance and I are going to Disney for our honeymoon and he's never been. He always comments about me being obsessed, but my hope it to bring him over to the "magical" side with me! He does love Disney movies and FOOD, so I remain positive! Good luck!

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
Tuesday, September 27th
Magic Kingdom 9:00 - 8:00 PM
Epcot 9:00PM - 11:00PM (EMH)

Rope Drop Peter Pan's Flight, Under the Sea: Voyage of the Little Mermaid
FP: Splash Mountain?, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise
11:35 AM Reservations at Be Our Guest
FP: Seven Dwarfs MineTrain? FP: Enchanted Tales with Belle ?
Space Mountain? Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
3:00 PM Festival Fantasy Parade
Nap Time!
7:05 PM Reservations at The Yachtsman
9:00 PM lluminations at Epcot
Food & Wine Fest Fun?
Test Track, Soarin?

Wednesday, September 28th
Animal Kingdom 9:00 AM - 7:30 PM
Magic Kingdom 9PM- 11PM (EMH)

Rope Drop: Kilimanjaro Safaris, FP: Expedition Everest
Kali River Rapids ?
Finding Nemo the Musical, Primeval Whirl
It's Tough to be a Bug, The Festival of the Lion King
Lunch
Flights of Wonder, Maharajah Jungle Trek, Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
FP: The Jungle Book, Alive with Magic ?? Open at this time?
Leave for Hotel or go Straight to Sanaa from AK
5:55 PM Reservations at Sanaa
8:00 PM Main Street Electrical Parade
8:45 PM Celebrate the Magic
9:00 Wishes Nighttime Spectacular
MK EMH
Country Bear Jamboree, Splash Mountain, PotC

Thursday, September 29th
Epcot 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM (EMH)

Rope Drop Soarin, Sum of all Thrills, Test Track (Single Rider) Mission:Space
The Seas with Nemo & Friends, FP : Turtle Talk with Crush, F&W Fest Fun
Living with the Land?, Journey Into Imagination
Lunch (F&W Fest)
FP: Spaceship Earth, FP: Frozen Ever After?
F&W Fest Fun
Leave for Hotel or stay for ADR at Coral Reef
5:25 PM Resrevations at Coral Reef
Leave to go to MK for MNSSH 4-12 AM
Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain
8:00 PM Boo To You Parade
9:00 PM Happy HalloWishes!
10:00 PM Hocus Pocus Villain Spectacular
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Space Mountain

Friday, September 30th
Hollywood Studios 9:00 AM - 9:30 PM (EMH)

Rope Drop: Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror
FP: Voyage of the Little Mermaid, The Great Movie Ride, One Man's Dream
FP: Toy Story Mania, Indiana Jones
Lunch
FP: Star Tours, Muppet Vision 3D
Beauty and The Beast Live on Stage
Frozen Sing Along Celebration ?
Leave to go to Disney Springs
5:30 Reservations at Bongos (DS)
8:00 PM Fantasmic!
Star Wars Galactic Fireworks? No times yet
Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror if missed earlier in the day

Saturday, October 1st
Universal Studios 8:00 - 5:00 PM
Island of Adventure 9:00 - 8:00 PM
Disney Springs depending on closing time

Sunday, October 2nd:
Magic Kindgom 9 AM - 7 PM
Epcot 9 AM - 9 PM

Reflections of China, The American Adventure
O Canada, Gran Fiesta Tour,
Food & Wine Fest fun
Lunch, Head to MK
Dumbo the Flying Elephant, it's a Small World, Mickey's Philharmagic
Enchanted Tiki Room, TTA People Mover, Hall of Presidents
3:00 PM Festival Fantasy Parade (MK) - in case we missed it earlier in the week
5:50 Reservations at California Grill
9:00 PM Illuminations at Epcot if missed earlier in the week and timing doesn't work out with fireworks

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
I'm in the same boat as you. My fiance and I are going to Disney for our honeymoon and he's never been. He always comments about me being obsessed, but my hope it to bring him over to the "magical" side with me! He does love Disney movies and FOOD, so I remain positive! Good luck!

Thank you, good luck to you as well! Food is a big part for us too, so I'm hoping that will help win him over! He has really loved Universal when we've gone and it's in large part because of how well they did the Harry Potter section, and I think Disney does theming well throughout the parks so I think it will be appealing to him. Now, if I could only get him to want to sit down and watch Mary Poppins, Peter Pan and The Little Mermaid with me!

Second Star to the Right

Original Poster
Looks like you'll be there the same time I will be with my BF and 5 year old! I'm also planning on MNSSHP for Thursday and DHS on Friday! Too funny! Looks like you're much more planned then I am!
How funny! Are you and your bf going to dress up for MNSSHP? I'm trying to convince Mark to dress up with me, but he thinks it's too early and others won't be dressed up :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom