Trip Report First Timer - Not Anymore!

Hello Everyone,

We are back from our first trip to Disney World. I hope you will enjoy reading about our trip. We had a terrific time.

Here is a link to my Pre-Trip Report: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/first-timer-super-excited.880293/

When: February 24 - March 3, 2014
Resort: Art of Animation - Little Mermaid

Introductions:
Lori with Seb.jpg

That is me Lori also know as LJ or Mom!
Visits to Disney: 1
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion
Favorite Restaurant: Be Our Guest
Favorite Food: Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich
Favorite Character(s): Lady from Lady and the Tramp and Piglet
Favorite Princess: Snow White
Favorite Movie: Winnie the Pooh
Favorite Villain: Maleficent
Maddie with Seb.jpg

This is Madison also known as Maddie!
Visits to Disney: 1
Favorite Park: Epcot
Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion
Favorite Restaurant: None (more on that later)
Favorite Food: Mickey Ice Cream Bar, Cherry Shaved Ice from Japan and Vanilla Dole Whip
Favorite Character(s): Alice in Wonderland, Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter
Favorite Princess: Pocahontas
Favorite Movie: Alice in Wonderland
Favorite Villain: Queen of Hearts

Sunday, February 23 - Travel Day 1
I wanted to book a direct flight and couldn't get one from our airport so we drove three hours on this day to Manchester, NH so we could fly direct on Southwest. We spent the night at the Holiday Inn near the airport where we did the park, stay and go package. This worked out great for us. Here is a photo of us heading down to Manchester.
On our way.jpg

We had McDonald's for dinner since it was across the street from the hotel, watched a little TV and went to bed early. We had to be up at 4:30 to get ready to head to the airport and tomorrow is Disney day!

Last edited:

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Continuing Saturday, March 1, 2014 - Disney Day 5 - Epcot, Friends, Cousins and Downtown Disney
By the time we got to China we were hungry. We ordered pot stickers and egg rolls. This is the first time Maddie has been willing to try these items. Hurray for new foods. She loved the pot stickers and ate them all. She didn't care for the egg roll so I ate those.
potstickers.jpg

egg roll.jpg

epcot maddie.jpg

maddie epcot.jpg

We stopped in Germany to get a treat.
germany.jpg

germany 1.jpg

germany 2.jpg

We rode Maelstrom in Norway. The line for Anna and Elsa was so long. I couldn't believe people were willing to wait 3 hours in that heat to see them.
I snapped a few photos in America and got a quick glance at Daisy Duck.
america.jpg

turkey legs.jpg

Maddie got a cherry shaved ice in Japan and grape Japanese soda. I guess I missed getting a photo of this again. France was really busy so I didn't get my ham and cheese croissant sandwich but that is okay, I didn't really need it. I bought a sweatshirt in Canada. I love it! It is so soft and comfortable. One of my best purchases of the trip.

Last edited:

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Continuing Saturday, March 1, 2014 - Disney Day 5 - Epcot, Friends, Cousins and Downtown Disney
After walking World Showcase we headed to The Seas with Nemo and Friends. My dad's friend and I were in contact and he was going to meet us at the exit of the ride once we were done.
epcot nemo 2.jpg

epcot nemo.jpg

epcot nemo 4.jpg

epcot nemo 1.jpg

After the ride we met up with Steve and Kathy and spent some time hanging out with them on a bench. It was nice to catch up. This is the first time they met Maddie and she charmed them for sure. It has been over 10 years since we saw each other. Florida sunshine seems to be doing them good!
We wanted to get going to head back to meet up with my cousin for a swim so we said our goodbyes. On our way out I took some photos of Mickey, Minnie and Pluto.
epcot mickey minnie pluto.jpg

epcot mickey minnie.jpg

epcot pluto.jpg

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
I took photos of the resort that I have been meaning to take the entire trip when we got back.
resort 1.jpg

resort 2.jpg

resort 3.jpg

resort 5.jpg

resort 6.jpg

resort 7.jpg

resort 10.jpg

resort 11.jpg

resort 13.jpg

directory.jpg

We went back to our room to change into our suits and meet up with my cousin, her husband, his mother and their two girls at the big blue pool. The girls had a wonderful swim and enjoyed spending time together. I don't think they would want me to post a photo on a public forum so I won't do that. I had a great time catching up with my cousin and her husband. We were so close growing up but we don't get to see each other very much because we live in different states. Maddie and I got to see the Lion King suite they were staying in. The suites are very nice and perfect for a big family. We don't need that much space for the two of us but I did like how close it was to everything. The girls did some pin trading as all three of them were into it. We said our goodbyes. We went back to our room for a brief rest and to get ready to go to Downtown Disney.

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
After a short rest and a shower we headed to the buses to go to Downtown Disney.
off to dtd.jpg

Downtown Disney was really busy but it was Saturday so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. We decided to eat dinner at Earl of Sandwich. Maddie said, "Mom, do we need to wait in this long line just for a sandwich?" I said, "Yes Maddie but it is a famous sandwich and supposed to be really good." Maddie said, "It better be one great sandwich." She cracks me up! I had the Earl's Club with tomato soup and Madison had the kids turkey. It was a very good sandwich but not the best I ever had. I would recommend it and I would eat there again.
earljpg.jpg

earl 4.jpg

earl 2jpg.jpg

earl 3.jpg

We walked around DTD for a while. Maddie took a few photos.
lego dragon.jpg

lego.jpg

window 1.jpg

window 2jpg.jpg

We tried on tiaras and then decided it was too crowded and it was time to head back to the resort.
my princess.jpg

Our last day at Disney tomorrow and we are headed to Magic Kingdom!

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Enjoying your report. It's so neat to hear about your experience as a first-timer. We've never done beauty and the beast at HS, but may need to plan on this in the future.
Thank you! Yes, you really should go see it. I heard that it may be replaced soon with a different show. You should catch it while you can. It was really well done.

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Sunday, March 2, 2014 - Disney Day 6 - Magic Kingdom, Last Day :cry:
Here it is, our last day. We woke up early to head to Magic Kingdom for rope drop. It was a beautiful day!
MK Last.jpg

MK Last 1.jpg

Mk Last 2.jpg

We watched the opening show (didn't take photos, just wanted to enjoy it) and headed to the Firehouse to pick up more cards.
MK Last 4.jpg

We made our way up Main Street toward the castle. I wanted to visit some princesses.
Castle 3.jpg

Castle 4.jpg

Maddie MK Last.jpg

We made it to Princess Fairy Tale Hall and Cinderella and her visiting princess only had a 5 minute wait in standby so we jumped in line. Maddie didn't want her photo with them but I did.
wd013wdw201406149934811.jpeg

wd016wdw201406149935834.jpeg

Next we headed over to Peter Pan and used one of our FP+ because the line was already really long. I enjoyed this ride but heights aren't my thing so I will admit to being a bit nervous. It was enjoyable and I would ride again which is saying something! We went to Mickey's Philharmagic next. Maddie really loves this and I am glad we got to see it again. We had a FP+ for Jungle Cruise so we headed that way.

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Continuing - Sunday, March 2, 2014 - Disney Day 6 - Magic Kingdom, Last Day
We stopped at the Tangled themed bathroom area and I finally got some good photos of the tower.
Tower 1.jpg

Tower.jpg

Next we walked into Liberty Square and I took a photo of Maddie locked up.
Maddie stuck.jpg

We walked toward Frontierland and Maddie did some pin trading and spent the last of her gift card on two Vinylmations.
Frontierland.jpg

Trading post.jpg

The cast members in the Frontier Trading Post are super nice! Really enjoyed talking to them. We arrived at Jungle Cruise and used our FP+ to ride.
Jungle.jpg

Jungle 1.jpg

Jungle 2.jpg

We walked over to Pirates and got in the standby line. It was posted as 10 minutes but it was really 20 minutes. The line was pretty slow and I wish we set up a FP+ for this one. Since we were here we had to stop at Aloha Isle. Maddie had her vanilla dole whip and I got my root beer float (mostly root beer with a little ice cream).
root beer float.jpg

Maddie wanted to play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom to see if we could finish the second mission. We completed the mission and were super excited. We really enjoy this and it added extra magic to our trip. By this time we were getting hungry for something for lunch. We decided to head to Casey's for a hot dog.

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
On our way to Casey's we stopped to watch the show happening by the castle and take some more photos.
castle.jpg

maddie and castle.jpg

mk show.jpg

mk show 1.jpg

mk show 2.jpg

mk show 3.jpg

mk show 4.jpg

We got to Casey's but it was really busy and we were getting hot. We talked it over and decided to head back to the resort for lunch and a swim.
Mousekeeping hung Duffy in our window.
bear.jpg

When we got back to our room I started to pack some of our stuff while Maddie was changing into her swim suit. I tried to open the safe (which was working fine all week) but I couldn't get in. I called the front desk and they said someone would be up to fix it in 30 minutes. I changed into my suit and we waited 15 minutes for a very nice cast member to help us. He was able to get it open thank goodness! By this time we were both really hungry. We headed to the Landscapes of Flavor for some lunch. I had the make your own salad. Maddie got a pizza and we shared an éclair. The food was great!
salad.jpg

eclair.jpg

After lunch we were headed to the pool. The big blue pool was crazy busy so we went to try the Cars pool. I took lots of photos of the Cars area of the resort and the pool was great. It was relaxing which is what we were looking for.

Last edited:

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
We had a great time at the pool. The water was perfect and it was very relaxing. It was the perfect last afternoon.
cars 6.jpg

cars 9.jpg

cone.jpg

cars pool 1.jpg

cars pool.jpg

Toes.JPG

After the pool we went back to our room to change, pack some more and rest because we were heading back to the Magic Kingdom.

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
We headed back to Magic Kingdom and arrived at 6:15 pm. We walked to our favorite ride, The Haunted Mansion and rode it for the last time. I admit that I got a bit emotional!

Maddie trying on Pooh ears.
maddie pooh hat.jpg

Maddie and I made our way to Storybook Circus and bought a souvenir bucket of popcorn to share. Then we decided to get in the 25 minute standby line for Barnstormer. The only roller coaster of the trip.
Night time photos:

pretty 1.jpg

night castle.jpg

night castle 1.jpg

Our last ride of the trip:
barnstormer.jpg

I did not enjoy the Barnstormer at all. Maddie thought it was fun and she liked seeing me scared. I can say I rode the Barnstormer but she will be doing that ride on her own next time. It didn't help that we were in the front. We walked into the circus shop to look around and pick up some last minute gifts for family and souviners.
yum 3.jpg

Maddie wanted to go to Star Traders to pick up something she saw the last time we were there.
star traders.jpg

We got some ice cream. I had a hot fudge sundae and Maddie had a vanilla cone. We ate them while we made our way toward the castle.
wd019wdw201406250204471.jpeg

It was time for us to head back to the resort. The "Un"Magical Express was going to pick us up at 6:45 to take us to the airport in the morning and then I had to drive the 3 hours home from the airport. It was time to say goodbye to the Magic Kingdom. But it really isn't goodbye it is? It is See Ya Real Soon!
Last two photos of the trip:
bye 1.jpg

bye.jpg

Maddie was so excited because the pin board from the Magic Kingdom was out as we were headed to the bus. We both did our last trade of the trip. When we returned to the resort we got a hamburger, fries and mac & cheese from the food court to share for dinner. It was very good. I finished up packing and we went to sleep.

We had a wonderful trip. It was the best vacation we have ever had together!

Look for a final trip recap post coming soon!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom