Trip Report First Timer - Not Anymore!

Hello Everyone,

We are back from our first trip to Disney World. I hope you will enjoy reading about our trip. We had a terrific time.

Here is a link to my Pre-Trip Report: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/first-timer-super-excited.880293/

When: February 24 - March 3, 2014
Resort: Art of Animation - Little Mermaid

Introductions:
Lori with Seb.jpg

That is me Lori also know as LJ or Mom!
Visits to Disney: 1
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion
Favorite Restaurant: Be Our Guest
Favorite Food: Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich
Favorite Character(s): Lady from Lady and the Tramp and Piglet
Favorite Princess: Snow White
Favorite Movie: Winnie the Pooh
Favorite Villain: Maleficent
Maddie with Seb.jpg

This is Madison also known as Maddie!
Visits to Disney: 1
Favorite Park: Epcot
Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion
Favorite Restaurant: None (more on that later)
Favorite Food: Mickey Ice Cream Bar, Cherry Shaved Ice from Japan and Vanilla Dole Whip
Favorite Character(s): Alice in Wonderland, Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter
Favorite Princess: Pocahontas
Favorite Movie: Alice in Wonderland
Favorite Villain: Queen of Hearts

Sunday, February 23 - Travel Day 1
I wanted to book a direct flight and couldn't get one from our airport so we drove three hours on this day to Manchester, NH so we could fly direct on Southwest. We spent the night at the Holiday Inn near the airport where we did the park, stay and go package. This worked out great for us. Here is a photo of us heading down to Manchester.
On our way.jpg

We had McDonald's for dinner since it was across the street from the hotel, watched a little TV and went to bed early. We had to be up at 4:30 to get ready to head to the airport and tomorrow is Disney day!

Last edited:

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Continuing - Thursday, February 27, 2014 - Disney Day 3 - Epcot
We made our way back the way we came and stopped in the UK to buy some tea to bring home and to share fish and chips.
twinings.jpg
fish shop.jpg
fish and chips.jpg
rose and crown.jpg

On our way out we saw this pretty site and we also stopped at Club Cool. Maddie like the flavor from Japan (are you surprised?) but I didn't really like any of them. It was fun to try them!
pretty flowers.jpg

flavors.jpg

club cool 3.jpg

We made it back to the resort at 2:30 and took a break for the afternoon. The plan was to go back to Epcot at 7:00 to ride something and then watch Illuminations.
After a rest back at the room we went to the resort arcade and played some games. They had a lot of variety and I thought it was fun. Maddie's favorite is Deal or No Deal. I could tell something wasn't right because she wasn't really into it. Maddie wasn't feeling well. She was saying she had a headache and her glasses were bothering her. I gave her some Tylenol and suggested we go have some dinner at the food court. Maybe she was hungry. At this point my legs and feet were getting really tired from all the walking and standing we have been doing on this trip. I think it was all starting to catch up with both of us. Maddie ordered a kids turkey sandwich with Doritos and ginger ale. I had make your own pasta (capellini, alfredo sauce, garlic, chicken, broccoli and parm) with a vitamin water.
make your own pasta.jpg

The food was really good but I could tell we were not going to make it back to Epcot. I was a little disappointed don't get me wrong but flexibility was important on this trip. We needed to listen to how we were feeling. They put the pin trading board up in the shop at the resort so we went there to check it out. Maddie and I both traded a pin. I got a piglet pin. We wandered back to the room to rest. I did watch what I could see of Illuminations from the room again which was fine. At least I got to see some fireworks. My cousin texted me because they flew in on Wednesday and were staying in the Lion King section of AOA. It was neat because they planned their vacation last minute and didn't know we were going to be at the same resort. I told her that Maddie just wanted to take a shower and go to bed and asked if we could meet up either Friday or Saturday. Maddie was asleep by 8:30.
Next up is Hollywood Studios

Last edited:

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
What an awesome trip report. I have a wonderful relationship with my mom and I would love to get to disney together sometime just the two of us! Keep it coming.
Thank you! I am glad you are enjoying it! My daughter and I are very close. We had a great time on this trip. It was nice to escape normal life together and just spend time having fun! I am not sure she believed it was going to happen until we had the suitcases packed. We were talking about it for so long and it seemed so far away.

prfctlyximprct

What a great trip report and your daughter will enjoy these memories for the rest of her life. :) I wish I could go on a mother/daughter Disney trip.. my mom hasn't been to Disney since the 70s. Maybe one day!! I keep trying to convince her!

FlaggNL

still a great great report! Makes me jeaulous and sooo curious for October 17th :) it will be my wife and daugther's first time also :) But then again you problably read that in my PTR ;)

Last edited:

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Friday, February 28, 2014 - Disney Day 4 - Hollywood Studios
Maddie still wasn't feeling well this morning so we both fell back to sleep when the alarm went off. When we woke up we both got ready, had cereal in the room and relaxed for a while. While walking to the bus Maddie took a bunch of resort photos. She did a great job!
resort king 1.jpg
resort merm 1.jpg
resort merm.jpg
resort ursala 1.jpg
resort seb 1.jpg
seb lori 1.jpg
resort scar 1.jpg

Love this resort. So many fun photo ops. Even if you aren't staying here you should stop by to take pictures and eat at the food court. The food is really good and the scenery is wonderful!

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Continuing - Friday, February 28, 2014 - Disney Day 4 - Hollywood Studios
We arrived at Hollywood Studios at 11:00 and it was busy! We stopped at what became our favorite store Villains in Vogue and looked around. We went back later for a few souvenirs.
fav store.jpg

We went to Starring Rolls Café for something to eat for lunch. We shared the turkey sandwich. Maddie had the mini M&M brownie and I had the Vanilla Strawberry Parfait. It was all so good!
lunch 1.jpg
lunch 2.jpg
lunch 3.jpg

Next up on the agenda was to see the first show of the day of Beauty & The Beast Live. This show was wonderful and I would highly recommend it. I took a ton of photos so here is Beauty & The Beast Show overload.
beast 1.jpg

beast 2.jpg

beast 3.jpg

show 1.jpg

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Beauty & The Beast
show 8.jpg
show 9.jpg
show 10.jpg
show 11.jpg
show 13.jpg
show 14.jpg

Tears in my eyes. Beautiful! This is what Disney is all about my friends. Pure joy!
After that wonderful performance I wanted to take some more photos around this section of Hollywood.
tower 2.jpg

rockin 1.jpg

fantasmic billboard.jpg

tower 1.jpg

We didn't ride ToT or RRC but they were fun for photos. Love that clear blue sky. Wish the entire trip had the sky that blue. It made for some really nice pictures.

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Our FP+ time for Toy Story Midway Mania was approaching and I wasn't sure where to go. The map was no help at all. It was very confusing. We didn't have this trouble in EP or MK but it was difficult to find our way around Hollywood. We made our way to Pixar Place taking photos along the way.
turkey legs.jpg
taxi maddie.jpg
maddie hollywood.jpg
maleficent billboard.jpg
pixar.jpg
spell 1.jpg
monkey 2.jpg
scrabble 1.jpg
toy story.jpg

We really enjoyed Toy Story but it ended too fast. We wish we could have played again but no way were we going to wait in a 95 minute line. Crazy! We had to wait about 10-15 minutes in the FP+ line as it was. I can see why EMH would be helpful at this park. Wish we had done EMH here.
lori and army man.jpg

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Other attractions we did at Hollywood Studios are:
Muppet Vision 3D
The Great Movie Ride
One Man's Dream
Voyage of The Little Mermaid
Art Class (we drew Elsa from Frozen)
muppet 3jpg.jpg
piggy clock.jpg
piggy.jpg
kermit.jpg
ny.jpg
movies.jpg

We stopped to have a treat in the middle of doing the attractions.
yumjpg.jpg

fav.jpg
maddie yum.jpg

lori yum.jpg

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
We had an ADR scheduled at 50's Prime Time Café. I think this place is either hit or miss depending on what cast member you get. Our cast member was really nice and helpful but did not put on a show for us. Maddie and I split a vanilla milkshake, she got chicken fingers and I got the pot roast. The food was good but I don't think I would go there again. Maddie and I felt like our legs were going to fall off so it was nice to sit down and relax for a while. The activity, the excitement and the walking/standing was just so much. For people that are used to routine it was tough. Nothing could have prepared me for the amount of walking and standing. My legs and feet were screaming for mercy! Not complaining, just a fact. Make sure you are prepared. Have great shoes, great socks, lots of blister band aids in case you need them and take breaks. I wish we had taken more breaks in the daytime so we could have made the night time activities.
Okay, enough of that. Food photos...

menu 50.jpg

maddi 50.jpg

lori 50.jpg

pot roast 50.jpg

Our plan was to stay to watch Fantasmic. We didn't stay. It was time to head back to the resort. It gives us something to look forward to for our next visit to the World. I could have brought Maddie back to the resort and came back by myself but I didn't want to do that. Maddie still had a headache and her transitions lenses were bothering her. I was worried about her. I made sure she drank a lot of water during the day but I am not sure she was hydrated enough. We were back at the resort by 6:30 and in bed by 9:00. Only two days left. Wish we had more time. We really needed it but that just means we have to plan another trip!
I will leave this day with a few more Hollywood Photos. Animal Kingdom in the plans for tomorrow!
sign 1.jpg

sign 2.jpg
hat 1.jpg

balloons.jpg

Last edited:

morningstar

Not your fault about getting lost in Hollywood Studios. It doesn't have a regular layout such as hub and spoke like the other parks. Nor does it have clearly themed lands, so it's hard to know where "You are Here" is.

Lyear

Enjoying your report. It's so neat to hear about your experience as a first-timer. We've never done beauty and the beast at HS, but may need to plan on this in the future.

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Saturday, March 1, 2014 - Disney Day 5 - Epcot, Friends, Cousins and Downtown Disney (Change of Plans)
We woke up early with plans to go to Animal Kingdom and meet up with my dad's friend and his wife. Then meet up with my cousin at the resort for a swim later in the day. However, Maddie really wanted to go back to Epcot. She loves Epcot and we only had three things planned at Animal Kingdom (Safari, the Nemo show and meet the characters). This is where I wish we had the park hopper. We could have gone to Animal Kingdom during the day and gone to Epcot later in the evening. I wasn't going to add it on now because we only had one day left. I thought about it while I was getting ready and decided we will skip Animal Kingdom this trip and head to Epcot. After all, I really enjoyed Epcot too! I changed all our Fast Pass+ reservations with the app and notified my dad's friend and his wife of our change in park. He was happy to hear we were going to Epcot because it is their favorite. They live in FL and are annual pass holders (lucky).
We took some pictures of the Nemo section at
our resort on the way to the buses.
nemo.jpg

nemo 1.jpg

nemo 2.jpg

nemo 4.jpg

nemo 5.jpg

mine mine mine.jpg

nemo lori 1.jpg

nemo lori.jpg

We arrived at Epcot at opening and walked directly to Spaceship Earth. We really enjoy this ride! Our photos for our future didn't turn out. We were just blobs on the screen but it was still fun! We rode Living with the Land next. Maddie loves those big lemons. I was still trying to convince her to do Soarin or Test Track but she wasn't budging. We rode Figment which is always a good time.
figment 1.JPG

figment 3.JPG

Last edited:

disneyfirstLJ

Original Poster
Continuing Saturday, March 1, 2014 - Disney Day 5 - Epcot, Friends, Cousins and Downtown Disney
We walked over to Starbucks to get something to drink. Maddie took a picture of the Mickey milk. I got a vanilla iced coffee and Maddie got a vanilla bean frap.
mickey milk.jpg

starbucks.jpg

I really wanted to get my picture taken with Mickey and the gang so we walked over to the Epcot Character Spot. I hopped in the short line out front for Pluto first and then went into the 5 minute standby line for Mickey, Goofy and Minnie. Maddie didn't want to do this so she waited with our drinks.
wd057wdw201406049611358.jpeg

wd062wdw201406049624145.jpeg

wd064wdw201406049624525.jpeg

wd069wdw201406049625535.jpeg

Now it was time to head to World Showcase. We decided to start in Mexico and work our way around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom