Trip Report First Time Staying On Property - Bazillions of Photos!

We got back over a month ago, and I'm just now getting around to digging through the 1000+ photos I took!

In lieu of having done a proper pre-trip report I'll summarize briefly how we planned. We brought our boys (DS 7, DS 9) to the World for the first time last year (March 2013) and stayed offsite at Orange Lake resorts. Prior to that, my wife & I had been as kids but neither of us had ever stayed on-property.

Less than a year after the boys' first trip, we were all itching to find a way to get back. I overheard my aunt & uncle discussing with my cousin & her two kids (DD 10, DS 6) that they would be going February 2014, so we all agreed it would be super fun to head down at the same time. My aunt hadn't researched nearly as much as I've been since she hadn't been since the mid-80's. I offered to help since I've been reading and listening to podcasts pretty steadily since the first trip.

We agreed to head down the week of 2/1-2/8 2014, which was great timing to not only escape our dreadful Midwest winter, but also to capitalize on some very low crowd levels (mostly 1's - 4's of 10 on TP Crowd Calendar). So our next decision was where to stay. I shared the option to rent an AllStar Vacation home and have our own pool etc, but my aunt didn't want to deal with any driving. Onsite it was!

I discussed her budget and we agreed to shoot for something in the $150-200/night range. While we could have hit Art of Animation or a value, I figured we were in the range to explore some of the moderates. I even asked the guys over at WDW Today what the differences were between moderates and they dedicated an entire episode to help me out! Huge thanks to Matt Hochberg, Len Testa, Mike Newell and Mike Scopa for taking the time to focus on my dilemma!!

MODERATE RESORT WDW TODAY PODCAST BREAKDOWN:
http://www.wdwtoday.com/article.php?story=201309012020195&query=moderate

Was super great to hear such experienced dudes weigh all the pro's and cons. I settled on Port Orleans French Quarter since it hit our budget and required the least walking. I knew my aunt & uncle liked the vibe of New Orleans as they'd visited before. Excited, I called up my aunt to share the recommendation.

Little did I know, she'd already went and booked a theme park view room for the 5 of them in the Contemporary, just 10 min walk from MK! Clearly the budget had expanded "just a bit" but we were excited to try it out as I still have memories of wanting to someday stay at "that resort the monorail goes through" dating back to my first trip in 1983. We booked a Bay Lake view room of our own and began counting the days until we could make our ADR's.

Rather than retype the whole story, I'm going to cheat and post a link to a podcast interview trip report I recorded shortly after getting back. I'll be focusing mostly on posting pics up here to round out some of the details and hit bits & pieces that the podcast glosses over.

MY TRIP REPORT DISDAD INTERVIEW PODCAST:
http://disdads.com/archives/4691

contemporary_arrival.jpg

Pics To come soon!

Last edited:

mweier

Original Poster
After Philharmagic, we stopped in at the Pinocchio Village Haus for flatbreads and salad. Charming atmosphere and pretty standard quality Quick Service for lunch. We had a good view of It's a Small World out the windows but thankfully you can't hear the music on loop the entire time you're eating.

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

mweier

Original Poster
only 3 days until we fly out for our next trip! I guess this means I have to finish my last trip report!! Hoping to drop in the final day of Epcot today or tomorrow (famous last words!).

mweier

Original Poster
So after the morning in MK on day 7 of our trip, here's the remainder of Epcot from that evening. I can tell I was nearing the end of the trip as I was finally slowing down in taking photos.

We started out with Mission Space and Test track. The plan was to hit mostly the East side of the park.
IMG_2346.jpg

As I never rode the original TT, I've got nothing against the newest refurb which some people call "TronTrack". I like the look and the effects, but wish they'd gone all the way with a Tron theme rather than just keeping it a story of futuristic engineering.

Last edited:

mweier

Original Poster
Got to check out some Club Cool as well. Needless to say, my cousin didn't enjoy Beverly all that much.
IMG_2395.jpg

Her kid was being goofy with some of the Coke products for sale.
IMG_2398.jpg

mweier

Original Poster
Still loving Spaceship Earth. It's one of the few rides I can still remember clearly from the first time I went to WDW in the first few years EPCOT Center was open.
IMG_2409.jpg

mweier

Original Poster
Also enjoyed another great meal at San Angel Inn. It may not be the best in the park but I've enjoyed it both times I've been there. Especially the jalapeño margarita!

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

mweier

Original Poster
from there, the kids headed back to the resort and Kira & I enjoyed a brief "date night" walking around World Showcase at night.

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

mweier

Original Poster
It was Extra Magic Hours, but sadly most of World Showcase shuts down after Illuminations. Seems like a big missed opportunity as there really isn't much left to do in evening EMH. We pretty much just headed back to the resort.

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

mweier

Original Poster
Day 8 was the day we took DME back to the airport and went home. It was a great time but I think we had all gotten our fill for the week and were ready to go home. One last goodbye to the Contemporary...

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

I dig the logo on the luggage carts and rugs. Would love to find a welcome mat for the house with this on it.
IMG_2587.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom