First time going to Disney! thoughts on CR, Poly, or GF?

Crlb127

Original Poster
We are headed to Disney for our first time the last week of April 2015. We are taking our 4 year old daughter and we want some feedback on where to stay. We booked a Theme Park view room at the Contemporary but we are second guessing the decision. We are wondering if we should change to the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian, or is the contemporary theme park view room the right choice. We would greatly appreciate all feedback

We would not do a theme park view room at GF or Polynesian because of the cost increase. We chose the contemporary for two reasons, ease of getting around and the theme park view room for nightly fireworks. We had some people tell us to think about staying at poly or GF because they are a bit nicer and might make for a better experience, and they said the night fireworks can be viewed from both of those resorts beaches.

Last question, we booked directly through disney, is that the best thing to do from a pricing perspective. Are there any deals we might not be aware of?

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I think you've made the right choice.

If things were normal I'd be telling you that the Polynesian is great for kids. Things aren't normal though and there's quite a bit of construction going on at the Poly and opinions differ as to how much it impacts a vacation. With it being a first trip, why risk it? The Poly construction will be done eventually and it gives you a reason for a trip at a later date.

Having a Theme park view room at the Contemporary is always one of my favorite ways to stay on property. Falling asleep and waking up with a view of the park is something that I remember from childhood and still enjoy as an adult. Having a 4 year old you've got an advantage at the end of the night leaving MK with the contemporary being the first stop on the resort monorail line. And, as long as we are talking about the monorail, you can't beat being able to watch the trains glide through the building.

Enjoy the view, enjoy the resort, and most of all enjoy your vacation!

zurgandfriend

We have stayed at all three over the years, my DW loves the GF and DS and I love the Contemporary. The Poly is also very nice but under construction right now. IMHO you made a great choice staying at the CR as it puts you on the monorail and within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. They have a nice kiddie pool play area for those afternoon breaks. There is one of our favorite restaurants in the California Grill and Chef Mickey’s is a great place for photo ops. We usually get a Bay lake view room and I love sunrise over the Lake. As for pricing I usually book thru AAA so some of the experts on the site will have more to add. Enjoy!

Weather_Lady

I think you've picked the best current choice, too! The Poly is a hideous mess with all the construction, and the Contemporary benefits from a smaller, tighter layout and terrific access to transportation, not to mention that it's the only resort from which you can literally walk to the Magic Kingdom.

Don't second-guess yourself -- go have a wonderful time!

Figmentation

I've never stayed at any of the Deluxe resorts, but I hear that while all are good and fun.. the Contemporary is overall the fan fave due to its positioning, style, and everything as mentioned above.

BroganMc

We own DVC at the Contemporary (Bay Lake Tower). I can tell from my experience staying at that resort and hopping to the others it is the better choice. Polynesian used to be a beautiful resort and have some of the best views of the Cinderella's Castle across Seven Seas Lagoon. Unfortunately it is lovingly being called "The War Zone" by guests and Cast Members. Almost half the resort is under construction including the main lobby and pool. Also opinion is divided over whether the new DVC expansion there adds or detracts from it. It may become beautiful again but right now it is best avoided. The only real usable part of the resort is on the end closest to the docks/luau/Grand Floridian. But that does not have the great view of the Castle.

Grand Floridian is a beautiful resort as well. Lots of pretty gardens and Victorian style architecture. Only problem is you are not given the greatest views of the Castle nor can you walk to Magic Kingdom. Everyone must take a boat or monorail. That means waiting on public transportation to arrive when you want to go somewhere.

Our stays at Contemporary/Bay Lake have been wonderful for experiencing Magic Kingdom. It's a treat to be able to watch Wishes fireworks from your room and see them fly over the Castle and Space Mountain. And being able to open your balcony door in the morning to hear the ferry and steam train whistles blow will have you eager to come out and play. You will be able to take a monorail into the park (it goes in reverse direction through TTC, Poly and Grand Floridian before getting to Magic Kingdom), but it's also the shortest walk into the park.

Make sure you plan a night to watch fireworks from your room and the Electric Water Parade from the docks (bay lake side of the resort). Also do spend an afternoon exploring the other Seven Seas resorts. They are very pretty. By the time you return the new Polynesian should be complete and you can try it. I believe the new design is to make it seem even more like a tropical island oasis in the middle of Florida. Right now it just looks more like days after the volcano erupted and leveled everything.

minniemickeyfan

I like your choice! You will be close to your resort and that's especially handy with a child. Like others have said there is a lot going on at the Poly right now so I wouldn't recommend it.
From the CR, there is also a walkway that is not far to the MK. To me, that is a nice feature if you don't want to ride the monorail completely around on your WAY to MK. However when you leave MK, on the resort monorail you will be the first stop.
Have a great trip!

minniemickeyfan

Also I don't think discounts are out for April yet, and if they do offer a discount it may not be for your room type. If I book ahead of a discount, and a discount comes out applicable to my trip I just call Disney and see if they can apply it to my trip. Sometimes I will change a room type or something if its cheaper. Good luck.

NeedMoreMickey

We stayed at Bay Lake in March and found it was nice to be able to walk over to MK. If you leave the park right after the fireworks getting to and waiting for the monorail it may be quicker to walk back to the hotel.

awheartsdw

We stayed at the CR for the first time in July. My husband had upgraded our stay to a theme park view room, and we could not have been more excited to be able to watch Wishes from the balcony, or even from bed! There is something to be said for waking up and seeing the castle before you even get to the park, it adds to the magic. We walked back to the resort one night after seeing how long the line was to take the monorail, having that option, especially with a tired 4 year old, makes it worth it. You wil not regret it-the hotel is truly lovely. Go with your first instinct, I say. Have a wonderful time.

Minthorne

We own DVC at the Contemporary (Bay Lake Tower). I can tell from my experience staying at that resort and hopping to the others it is the better choice. Polynesian used to be a beautiful resort and have some of the best views of the Cinderella's Castle across Seven Seas Lagoon. Unfortunately it is lovingly being called "The War Zone" by guests and Cast Members. Almost half the resort is under construction including the main lobby and pool. Also opinion is divided over whether the new DVC expansion there adds or detracts from it. It may become beautiful again but right now it is best avoided. The only real usable part of the resort is on the end closest to the docks/luau/Grand Floridian. But that does not have the great view of the Castle.

Grand Floridian is a beautiful resort as well. Lots of pretty gardens and Victorian style architecture. Only problem is you are not given the greatest views of the Castle nor can you walk to Magic Kingdom. Everyone must take a boat or monorail. That means waiting on public transportation to arrive when you want to go somewhere.

Our stays at Contemporary/Bay Lake have been wonderful for experiencing Magic Kingdom. It's a treat to be able to watch Wishes fireworks from your room and see them fly over the Castle and Space Mountain. And being able to open your balcony door in the morning to hear the ferry and steam train whistles blow will have you eager to come out and play. You will be able to take a monorail into the park (it goes in reverse direction through TTC, Poly and Grand Floridian before getting to Magic Kingdom), but it's also the shortest walk into the park.

Make sure you plan a night to watch fireworks from your room and the Electric Water Parade from the docks (bay lake side of the resort). Also do spend an afternoon exploring the other Seven Seas resorts. They are very pretty. By the time you return the new Polynesian should be complete and you can try it. I believe the new design is to make it seem even more like a tropical island oasis in the middle of Florida. Right now it just looks more like days after the volcano erupted and leveled everything.

Nicely Stated!

jmargarone27

I'm very partial to the Grand Floridian. It's one stop to the Magic Kingdom, and first stop back on the boat (both of which are enjoyable rides.) The staff (I have found) is the most friendly and accommodating along the monorail, as it is after-all the flagship property. The rooms are the most luxurious as they have been freshly renovated. Another small plus is the fact that you get nightly turndown service at the GF, unlike the other monorail resorts. The setup of the resort is nice too with the pool in the center of the buildings. The lobby is stunning (the Grand Canyon Concourse at Contemporary is nice too, but loud...and the Polynesian's lobby is completely torn up), and the band plays nightly. For your daughter, the pools at the GF are awesome, and they have a new play area in an Alice in Wonderland theme. I don't know, the benefits of the Grand Floridian completely outweigh those of the Contemporary and Polynesian; however, there is no argument in taste.

DisneyJunkie

If I were you, I'd stay exactly where you are. In fact, I greatly envy you because that's exactly where I've always wanted to stay and never have, yet. Sometimes it's better to book right through Disney, and other times you might go through places like Your Magical Journeys because they can book your trip AND stay on the lookout for any codes or deals that might benefit you.

WDWoptmist

With a 4 year old stay where you are...if Poly was in a better state like everyone has said that would be my first choice with kids, GF is the absolute best resort out there but not quite as memorable for a first trip with a youngster like waking up and seeing the castle right out the window will be and chef mickeys is literally a perfect spot for you guys to meet the characters first thing. Make sure you let them know everywhere you go that its her first visit cast members will make it all the more "magical" for the little one!

s&k'smom

We are staying at the CR for the first time November 2015 and are so excited about it. We are a die hard GF family but finally are trying a new resort. With you guys having a 4 year old being able to walk to the MK is pretty cool, will save you a lot of time waiting for the monorail on a crowded night.

Marc Gil

I wouldn't have second doubts.

Contempo is a fabulous hotel, and it truly has some of the best theme park views on the property. While, 'unique' theming may be lacking a bit, the Contemporary Resort still has some of the nicest and largest rooms on the property. As to my knowledge, they were recently refurbished this year.

Have fun on your trip. Don't have second doubts. The Contemporary Resort is a Walt Disney World Classic, and trust me, you're going to be blown away by the view! ;)

RMichael21

Another perk of Contemporary is you can take a quick walk to MK in the morning and a short monorail ride (for those tired feet) at the end of your day.

OceanSpringsWDW

WWWOOOOOOOO!!! You've made the right choice, brother! You can walk down a nice sidewalk to the MK in the morning when your kid is full of energy, and it's the first stop on the monorail on the way back. The CR is the best thing going today! And that comes from the Worlds Heavyweight Champ! WWOOOOOOOO!!!!!

stevehousse

All 3 resorts are nice but grossly overpriced for what you get. For the price of staying at one of those resorts for a week, you could make 2 weeklong Disney trips staying at a value or mod...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom