First Time Flyer

janelove956

Guys, I would greatly appreciate your input on this question :inlove: Ok so I've never flown before because I have anxiety, among other things, and frankly flying terrified me. Well now I'm feeling a lot better and I think I'm ready to try it for this coming trip next year, I know I still need a long time:bawling::cautious:. Anyway, do you guys usually purchase tickets with the airline or through the Disney site? If so, how long before the trip do you book?
Please and thank you!:):inlove:

Tom

Beta Return
We only book airfare directly with the airlines - especially since we only fly Southwest non-stop from Indy to MCO. You won't get a deal through Disney - just convenience.

And if you're still a little anxious, ask your doctor for some Valium. Worked for me!

Upvote 0

MorganKelly

Good luck with your flying anxiety. Many of us are at least a bit nervous about flying. We purchase directly from the airline, using the online website. It is pretty easy and on most of the sites you can even choose your seat ahead of time (except Southwest). We start about 6-8 months out searching for a good fare and as soon as we find one, we book. We like to have our reservations in hand about 3 months prior to our trip.

Upvote 0

Disney4family

We also book directly with Southwest to fly from Long Island to MCO. We grab the earliest flight down and the latest flight back to get the most time in the "magic" as possible. We book the flights as soon as they're available and then add the information to our reservations to get our Disney Magical Express reservations set.

My friend purchased through Disney. It was part of a package. He said the prices were better for him than trying to create his own package. You can play around with the airlines you were thinking of using and see how creating your own trip works out. You can always call Disney to compare. They are very helpful.

The worst part about traveling is traveling. I think you either love flying and enjoy the thrill it brings or you hate it and have a knot in your stomach the whole time. Try to relax. Drink water when snacks are offered to stay hydrated. Use EarPlanes to help with the air pressure changes. They also block out a lot of airplane noise if you're trying to sleep. Bring your favorite book or electronic gadget and distract yourself as best you can. Breathe. Magic and wonder and fun await you when you get off!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I think most people build on their fear leading up to flight time, then are terrified mostly during take offs and landings. Once your'e in the air you can settle down, (unless theres bad weather & turbulence) until you are nearing touch down. When I was flying, before take off, I'd plug in my earphones and concentrate on some music that calms me and distracts me from the thoughts going on in my head that would remind me of the fear.
Then before you know it its over. Think about whats coming after the landing at Orlando.

Upvote 0

janelove956

Original Poster
We only book airfare directly with the airlines - especially since we only fly Southwest non-stop from Indy to MCO. You won't get a deal through Disney - just convenience.

And if you're still a little anxious, ask your doctor for some Valium. Worked for me!
I did ask my doctor ave he said he would prescribe me some Xanax but I've never taken any before so idk how it'll work but if it calms me then that's great:p
We also book directly with Southwest to fly from Long Island to MCO. We grab the earliest flight down and the latest flight back to get the most time in the "magic" as possible. We book the flights as soon as they're available and then add the information to our reservations to get our Disney Magical Express reservations set.

My friend purchased through Disney. It was part of a package. He said the prices were better for him than trying to create his own package. You can play around with the airlines you were thinking of using and see how creating your own trip works out. You can always call Disney to compare. They are very helpful.

The worst part about traveling is traveling. I think you either love flying and enjoy the thrill it brings or you hate it and have a knot in your stomach the whole time. Try to relax. Drink water when snacks are offered to stay hydrated. Use EarPlanes to help with the air pressure changes. They also block out a lot of airplane noise if you're trying to sleep. Bring your favorite book or electronic gadget and distract yourself as best you can. Breathe. Magic and wonder and fun await you when you get off!
Aww thank you so much for the tips :)

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

It all depends on what suits you (and where you're travelling from). We're from the UK and its far mor econvenient for us to build a package with the travel agent - flights, accommodation, tickets etc

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

I did ask my doctor ave he said he would prescribe me some Xanax but I've never taken any before so idk how it'll work but if it calms me then that's great:p

Ask your Doctor to prescribe one extra pill and take it well in advance of your trip, on a day you're not doing anything important. That way, you'll know how the medication will affect you and can make any necessary adjustments before you fly.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

We always book through the airline. You should keep an eye on fares and when they drop, go ahead and book. This should be several months before your trip.

Other tips for a first time flyer...

The worst thing about flying is airport security. Remember, you can have two carry-on items, one smaller item (purse, backpack, laptop case, etc) that can go underneath the seat in front of you. Non-medical liquids, gels, and aerosols, are not permitted except in 3 oz or less containers that fit into 1 clear plastic zip top bag. Medical liquids should be properly labeled and need to be declared to a TSA officer. There are also other prohibited items. If you aren't sure, TSA has a list. They also have an app for smartphones and tablets with a "Can I bring..." feature. You type in the item, and it will tell you "Checked bag/Carryon" "Checked bag only" "Special Instructions" etc.

A lot of people like slip-on shoes for travelling because it's easier to get through security. I typically wear sneakers because they weigh down your suitcase if you pack them and they're easier to move around in. Whatever floats your boat; it's a matter of personal preference

During the security check, anyone between the ages of 13 and 64 will need to remove their shoes. Everyone will need to remove laptops and other large electronic devices and that quart size bag of liquids. Cell phones and tablets (anything small) can stay in your bag. Also, take off jewelry, belts, anything metal, and remove everything from your pockets.

When packing, I recommend putting electronics, jewelry, medications, and anything else valuable in your carry on. I also recommend packing a set of clean clothes and pajamas in your carry on in case something does happen to your suitcase. The times we've had this happen have been few and far between, but it does happen.

If you get a cold and you end up stuffy, take a decongestant before you fly. Your ears will thank you. Also, bring gum to chew on the plane. It helps keep your ears clear.

Make sure you drink plenty of liquids before your trip. SW offers complimentary soft drinks. They'll come around once, but if you want a second one, just press the button for a flight attendant. Buy some drinks at the airport to take just in case there's turbulence and flight attendants cannot leave their seats.

Upvote 0

Minthorne

I always book through the airlines (SW) or my credit card rewards as I'm usually using points.

Flying isn't as fun as it used to be but I consider it the first big ride of the trip!

Upvote 0

HollyAD

I used to be terrified to fly but now I love it! I actually flew alone with my 6 year old son last week. We also love southwest and can fly direct from BWI or Norfolk. You would appreciate taking a direct flight if you have anxiety about flying. Bring things to keep you occupied. Magazines, books, earphones to listen to whatever device you have. The loudest part of your flight will be the take off. After that it quiets down and everyone settles in. You can pay extra for an early check in with southwest to ensure early boarding. If not you can make sure to check in online exactly 24 hours before your scheduled flight time. Good luck with your flight!

Upvote 0

kalel8145

Used to be terrified of flying my self. Four years ago started a new job and had to travel a ton. Racked up so many miles, flew to WDW last year for free. Long story short, it's the only way to go for me now. Get there so much quicker and have more time in the bubble. What works for me is a good music playlist and keeping my sunglasses on. Sounds wired I know but helps me stay calm. If your a drinker a gin and tonic or two doesn't hurt either. . We book with Southwest and if you can afford it book business class. Guaranteed one of the first 15 to board and free drink on the flight. Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

LAM378

I flew a lot as a kid/teenager but developed anxiety disorder when I was 20 and just stopped flying.

I finally booked a trip to WDW last year after 14 years away, and my anxiety really ramped up knowing I'd be flying. I had to do a lot of work before my trip to get myself mentally ready.

I highly recommend the SOAR book by Captain Tom Bunn. He breaks down anxiety and the mechanics of flight. I didn't think a book would help me, but it really did.

Some other things I'd suggest...Instead of telling yourself you'll be strapped in a seat for hours, make yourself a list of things you CAN do up in the air. My list was like, re-arrange my carry on, put my jewelry back on, read my favorite magazine, play a game on my phone, listen to music, wipe the tray down with Clorox wipes (planes are gross). Making the list made me feel like I was in control of SOMETHING, like if I started to panic I could refer to my list and find something else to do instead. Bring or buy some of your favorite comfort foods.

Xanax is great. As others have mentioned, test it out before flying, but it should quietly ease your anxiety without making you feel drugged or out of it.

Truly, once I got on the plane it was a breeze. I flew 5 more times last year anxiety-free, and knowing I can fly now is a huge point of pride. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

Remember, despite the media reports to fear monger everyone, flying is incredibly safe and has never been safer than today.

This will help, I promise. Go here www.flightaware.com/live

It's google maps for flights and shows every single plane currently up in the air. Just look how many planes are flying at one given time and you'll get a sense of how common and safe flying is in reality. I know it's scary sometimes, but you rarely hear about an incident and there are planes flying all of the world, all the time. Many of them are not in as great of service or even all commercial flights, but they still land safely 99.9999999% of the time. You are much safer flying than driving, especially on a commercial flight in the US.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

We book separately through the airlines. Use Kayak to see if fares are likely to drop. New fares are released every Tuesday so check that morning. Also we buy the trip insurance through Disney and even if you do not bok the airfare through them you can add it on to their insurance with no problem.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Be aware the plane will creak, make noises, mechanical sounds, etc... Do not worry yourself. Some things will feel flimsly... Dont worry yourself about that - they are to spec :)

You can get bounced/shaken in turbulence- dont worry... Its far less concerning than you might fear. Shaken swayed, etc is nothing. Unless you feel like you would have been thrown like a car wreck... Its all normal and nothing to worry about.

Chew gum or know to plug your nose and mouth and blow to equalize your ears on descent.

Pack light for the plane, and know how to purge for the security check.

Upvote 0

tenchikiss

As someone who hates flying I can agree with a lot that has been said. I would also splurge and buy a lot of snacks to eat on the plane. Plane food is gross. Beyond gross. And when you already have dread in your stomach the last thing you want to do is eat something that will make you even more sick. So pack something comforting to you. Or get it at the airport while you wait.

If you can try avoid sitting in the middle of the plane. That is where the most...unpleasant noises seem to occur.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Like most are saying...booking directly with the airline will probably be your best option. You can could a package through them or build one on your own if you know where to look!

Flight: Depending on where you are flying from... I would go with a non-stop direct flight. This will get you to Orlando quicker to start you Vacation!
Hotel: If not building through airline, go to visitorlando.com and get a MagiCard and search hotel deals through them...much better pricing
Rental Car? Staying on property? a lot of questions if you need help don't be afraid to ask

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom