First time at SS any words of advice?

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Next week staying at SS for first time, rented a DVC so staying in either Springs or Congress, excited about pools for kids,hot tubs for us, food choices, and views, but I'm a little concerned about buses, I've heard the good the bad and the awful. Any words of wisdom about the resort in general and buses in particular will be appreciated.

epcotisbest

SSR is one of our favorites. The Paddock pool has the best slide. The quiet pool at Congress Park is nice, but has very little shade. The main pool and Grandstand pool are both nice as well. We like to try them all. Movies by the main pool at night.
If you get Congress Park, the views of DS are amazing and it is a short walk over and back.
We drive, so can't really help with the busses.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Hi Epcotisbest,
Thanks for the advice about the pools,especially the shade and where the best slide is located. I'm sure the kids will want to try them all out too. If your avatar is what you drive at the parks, I understand why you don't do the buses! Very nice indeed. And as an adult of a certain age, (gracefully beyond 21 ++++) I agree Epcot Is the best. Just saying.. LOL.
Thanks for your words, take the magic with you wherever you go!

Grumpy06

SSR is our home resort and have stayed many times.we have gone with kids,grandkids and alone.
Going alone we will stay at congress park,great quite pool and short walk to DS.
With kids I would stay at grandstand and request a room close to pool,nice pool and play area with a snack bar and drink fountains but no slide,very short walk to main pool if you want bigger pool with slides.
Also bus stop at grandstand you are the first to be picked up going to parks and first getting off coming from parks back to resort. ENJOY

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
SSR is our home resort and have stayed many times.we have gone with kids,grandkids and alone.
Going alone we will stay at congress park,great quite pool and short walk to DS.
With kids I would stay at grandstand and request a room close to pool,nice pool and play area with a snack bar and drink fountains but no slide,very short walk to main pool if you want bigger pool with slides.
Also bus stop at grandstand you are the first to be picked up going to parks and first getting off coming from parks back to resort. ENJOY
Hi @Grumpy06 We are excited to stay at SSR, how nice that's you're Home Resort, it certainly looks beautiful.I appreciate the advice. Everyone is being very helpful about buses, pools and the walk to DS.I can't wait to get there, different experiences at all the resorts is what this year is all about, we want the GK' s to be happy with our choice, and so the buses at Grand Stand, that will help to be first on/ off, and pool ideas/ snack bar/ drink fountain and DS walk have been very helpful so we know what to do. We've stayed in many other resorts and found The Forums to be a great resource. Thank You for replying, May you always have pixie dust to fulfill your wishes and dreams.

Last edited:

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
WOW, your pictures are breath taking, thank you so much for the mornings pleasure of being able to see what I'm about to be part of at SSR, and what I've seen,( We go to the Smokies/ Blue Ridge Pkwy/ hiking/ water fall hunting/ Cattaloochee Valley as often as we can), and more so, all the amazing places in The World that I'm missing, the bike paths are so lovely, and I share your enthusiasm for refections, fountains and quiet places of beauty.I used to live on St. Simon's and rode my bike every where, I'm thinking I'll take it to WDW for a renewal of that simple pleasure. Now I'm looking forward to this trip for some adult reasons, and have just started planning the next trip for DH and myself, sans children, to find our bit of Paradise at WDW. Keep the magic alive!!

epcotisbest

WOW, your pictures are breath taking, thank you so much for the mornings pleasure of being able to see what I'm about to be part of at SSR, and what I've seen,( We go to the Smokies/ Blue Ridge Pkwy/ hiking/ water fall hunting/ Cattaloochee Valley as often as we can), and more so, all the amazing places in The World that I'm missing, the bike paths are so lovely, and I share your enthusiasm for refections, fountains and quiet places of beauty.I used to live on St. Simon's and rode my bike every where, I'm thinking I'll take it to WDW for a renewal of that simple pleasure. Now I'm looking forward to this trip for some adult reasons, and have just started planning the next trip for DH and myself, sans children, to find our bit of Paradise at WDW. Keep the magic alive!!
You are certainly welcome. SSR is a beautiful resort. Some people don't seem to like the location or that it is such a large, sprawling resort, but we like those things about it.
I have a friend who lives on Saint Simon's Island and we honeymooned at Jekyll many, many years ago and go back to visit often. Lots of good places to eat at SSI, but unfortunately, some of our old favorites closed, like Emiline and Hessy, Blanche's Courtyard and Fourth of May. Still enjoy Southern Soul, Palmer's and Barbara Jean's and others.
Lots of good bicycle riding at SSR if you are able to take your bike. If not, you can rent bikes there too, but it is not the same as having your own.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Lots of great memories at Fourth of May, and Palmer's def. a fav for us, can't remember what used to be in that location, but remember enjoying that great vibes with the locals atmosphere and food. I LOVE Barbara Jeans, I worked as a desk clerk at St Simon's Inn by the Lighthouse, and would take my break, walk up there and grab some she crab soup or one of those yummy week night dinners, wow, I'm hungry now!! I sold my beach cruiser once I returned to Kennesaw, Ga, 2 years ago, but now we are becoming more greenspace minded, lots of walking/bike paths popping up, downtown,& Cobb County by our Kennesaw Mountain area especially, now with the thought of a new way to The Wrld, thanks to you, I am going to start looking for some new wheels.
Have a great rest of the week!!

Rob562

Next week staying at SS for first time, rented a DVC so staying in either Springs or Congress, excited about pools for kids,hot tubs for us, food choices, and views, but I'm a little concerned about buses, I've heard the good the bad and the awful. Any words of wisdom about the resort in general and buses in particular will be appreciated.

You didn't specify in your original post, but both Springs and Congress Park are considered "Preferred" buildings and must be booked as such when making the reservation. (Those buildings require more points)

If you're not booked into Preferred, then you'll be in one of the other buildings. My group's personal preference is either of the 8000-numbered buildings in Grandstand. It's near the quiet pool, near the bus stop and a short walk to the main building and pool.

If you're looking for an almost-Preferred building, the Paddock 6500 building is the closest non-Preferred building to the Marketplace end of Disney Springs, and is convenient to the Congress Park pool and bus stop.

-Rob

rob0519

We've only stayed at SS once for 3 nights. We stayed in the Springs part of the complex. It was our first time in almost 20 years we had a washer/dryer in the room. It beats dragging laundry around a resort. The boats to Disney Springs worked out great. It is a beautiful resort.
Our only problem were the buses. The Springs are last on and last off. So dozens of people stood there in the morning as 2 and sometimes 3 buses did not even stop to attempt to pick up passengers.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
You didn't specify in your original post, but both Springs and Congress Park are considered "Preferred" buildings and must be booked as such when making the reservation. (Those buildings require more points)

If you're not booked into Preferred, then you'll be in one of the other buildings. My group's personal preference is either of the 8000-numbered buildings in Grandstand. It's near the quiet pool, near the bus stop and a short walk to the main building and pool.

If you're looking for an almost-Preferred building, the Paddock 6500 building is the closest non-Preferred building to the Marketplace end of Disney Springs, and is convenient to the Congress Park pool and bus stop.

-Rob
Hi @Rob562 Thanks for your advice and great suggestions. We rented from DVC , and paid higher points to get Preferred thinking it may be convenient for G.kids to use main pool and for all of us to be close to Artist's Palette. Now, I'm learning so much about bus stops, other pools and different sections of this beautiful resort, I'm thinking this trip will be a great exploration opportunity for all of it's many amenities and beautiful walkways/waterways/scenery. We are excited to stay at yet another of WDWs resorts. Have a Magical Evening!!!

Last edited:

wdwfamilynh

October 2015 was our first stay at SS even though it is my in-laws' home DVC resort. Arrival was a little rough not knowing where we were going...it's was late, we were tired and the maps/signage were a bit confusing. The room could have used a refurb but there really wasn't anything wrong with it. We stayed in The Paddock, at the end nearest the Carousel, so that put us at one of the first bus stops. Even though we were in the middle of F&W, the buses were good. Going back again later this year, and will likely be in SS again (unless the Fairy Godmother grants us something on our Wait List) and we're looking forward to it. Safe travels...and have fun!

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
October 2015 was our first stay at SS even though it is my in-laws' home DVC resort. Arrival was a little rough not knowing where we were going...it's was late, we were tired and the maps/signage were a bit confusing. The room could have used a refurb but there really wasn't anything wrong with it. We stayed in The Paddock, at the end nearest the Carousel, so that put us at one of the first bus stops. Even though we were in the middle of F&W, the buses were good. Going back again later this year, and will likely be in SS again (unless the Fairy Godmother grants us something on our Wait List) and we're looking forward to it. Safe travels...and have fun!
Hi @wdwfamilynh thanks for the info, I know what you're talking about coming in somewhere late, tired and then having poor signage,it all combines for a questionable first impression. Glad it worked out and you're going back soon. I love F&W, hoping to do that for 2018, and F&G. We're having some fun trying different resorts, provided, as you say, our Fair Godmother grants it. Best wishes, and Keep the Magic coming...

Demeter Tess

Be sure to arrive at the bus stop EXTRA early each morning. We've never seen bus lines like those at SS. But definitely take time to do the Sassagoula River Cruise and/or walk to Disney Springs. Both are lovely!

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Be sure to arrive at the bus stop EXTRA early each morning. We've never seen bus lines like those at SS. But definitely take time to do the Sassagoula River Cruise and/or walk to Disney Springs. Both are lovely!
Thank you @Demeter Tess , Good words to know as buses can be difficult in the resorts with internal bus stops, so I have been very appreciative of everyone's advice/ tips especially re: the buses/stops and timing. I will def. do the Sassagoula River Cruise, it's been a while since I've been in those parts of The World, but I love the little ferry boat, it feels special and fun. I seem to recall renting a small boat many moons ago at POFQ, ( it was just PO then ) took 2 of my kids out for a cruise and we were on the Sassagoula, by mistake or by design I'm not sure, but we ended up at what was then The MarketPlace ( now DS) , it was like being in a tiny little bayou in New Orleans. Thanks again, Keep the Magic Alive!!

worldfanatic

I'm very excited about staying at Saratoga Springs this September. My previous stay was during a solo-trip, and I can't wait to have my Wife with me this time. It's a beautiful, relaxed property. She will love it. We like to visit Disney Springs several times per trip and will take full advantage of SSR's next door location.

It really is one of the most underrated resorts at Disney World. Being able to stroll or boat back & forth into Disney Springs for lunch/dinner or shopping is a HUGE benefit to those of us who no longer wish to be in the Parks all day long.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
I'm very excited about staying at Saratoga Springs this September. My previous stay was during a solo-trip, and I can't wait to have my Wife with me this time. It's a beautiful, relaxed property. She will love it. We like to visit Disney Springs several times per trip and will take full advantage of SSR's next door location.

It really is one of the most underrated resorts at Disney World. Being able to stroll or boat back & forth into Disney Springs for lunch/dinner or shopping is a HUGE benefit to those of us who no longer wish to be in the Parks all day long.
Hi @worldfanatic , I appreciate your enthusiasm for SSR, it does sound relaxing and is def. convenient for location to DS. We are counting down,3 days left now, I'm new to the forums and even started a Thread in Trip Reports," No Parents Allowed", as my DH and I are taking 3 of our Grands, sans parents for the first time. This will also be our first time at SSR, wanting the lush landscape and walkways to enjoy, and sought opinions and advice for the sake of bus info, pools etc from the forums folks. We have shared pics with the GK's and everyone is excited to try something unique and different. Thanks for your input and I'm happy you get to share your positive experience with you wife in Sept. Have a magical evening!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom