First Time at Contemporary

kevinscruising

Original Poster
Hi,
In April we will be staying for the first time at the Contemporary Resort. We have a tower room facing the lake and pool. I am wondering if we should ask for a certain floor or area of the hotel when we check in. Is one floor better then the other or better for the view ? Since this is our first time at this hotel any suggestions would be appreciated. Also we booked Chef Mickeys a few times that week but wondering if there is something a little less expensive for an easy breakfast before hitting the parks in the Contemporary ?

Thanks,
Kevin

slappy magoo

I've only stayed at BLT, as opposed to the resort proper. I'd guess the higher the floor the nicer the view, but that is just a guess. I was just reading the Unofficial Guide to WDW and that's pretty much what they say, too. Plus, the higher the floor, the better the chance that any boat traffic will be more muted.

The Wave, which is the restaurant essentially behind the check-in desks (the entrance is in the corner past those desks), is sit-down, nice, more business-friendly than Disney-themed to accommodate convention-goers, but they sure won't kick a family out, that's for sure. They have ala carte offerings for breakfast at various prices, as well as a buffet option for 20 bucks. We've been there for lunch and dinner, never breakfast, but it's a restaurant we really liked, great staff, very attentive, and it was never busy when we were there; walkups are not guaranteed but a distinct possibility. Menu here.

http://allears.net/dining/menu/wave-of-american-flavors/breakfast

kevinscruising

Original Poster
The higher floor does make sense with the boat noise. I didn't even think of that. I would think the higher the floor the better view of the electric water parade on the lake but then again maybe any floor would be good for that . ????

Thanks for the menu... thats a big help.

PS...does anyone know what the cost is of Chef Mickeys for breakfast ??? I have some reservations but not sure of the price.... also if someone knows the price for dinner at 1900 Park Fare ??

Thanks again

slappy magoo

Breakfast at Chef Mickey's is about $33 per adult, 18 and change for kids.

Dinner at 1900 Park Fare varies depending on season: Adult price range: $38.33-$42.59; Child (ages 3-9) price range: $19.16-$21.29

You can find pretty much any menu with corresponding prices here: http://allears.net/dining/menu

slappy magoo

Let me also add, if you have kids who really want face time with chracters, the price of a character meal can save you tons of time later, as you don't have to wait on line in the parks to see them. Maybe you can switch it up a bit if you have 2 or more breakfasts at Chef Mickey's. For example, going to Crystal Palace in the MK will let you meet Winnie the Pooh. 'Ohanas at Polynesian has some of the same characters as Chef Mickey's but also Lilo and Stitch. Options...

Tinkerbell397

Hop on the monorail and go to the Poly's Kona Cafe or The GF's Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast. The Wave is a nice change with typical CR decor. I have eaten there several times and there have always been mostly families not convention goers.
You will love the CR.....it is my favorite of all the resorts I have stayed at. As far as your room request, I would go as high as possible only because that would be my personal preference. I have stayed in the tower several times in upper and lower floors and I have never heard Chef Mickey's or the monorail from my room once the door is closed. Have a Magical Trip! :cat:

rob0519

We've stayed at the Contemporary several times, the higher the floor, the better the view, the less pool and marina noise. For character interaction with the big five ( Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto) you cannot beat Chef Mickey's. It's a bit pricey for breakfast food, but as Slappy Magoo said, it can save you time later and you have a few minutes to take a quality picture. As he also stated, if you can get character breakfasts at O'hana or Crystal Palace it gives you more diverse group of characters to meet.

For a less expensive option we take the monorail and have go to Captain Cook's Quick Service at the Polynesian one day and Gaspirella's Grill at the Grand Floridian on another day. One other option is to take a boat launch over to the Wilderness Lodge, I forget the name of their Quick Service restaurant, and then take another launch from there to the MK.

Tinkerbell397

The Quick Service at The WL is Roaring Forks.....but I would not go out of my way to eat there. It is the same fare as other QS restaurants, is small and verrrryyyy sloooooowwww. You can take the same boat to the WL and visit Whispering Canyons at the WL for a totally different breakfast experience....again....another TS.

kevinscruising

Original Poster
Thank you for all your help. It was very helpful. We are looking forward to our first time at the Contemporary. The only other resorts we stayed at were the All Star Sports and Movies so this should be a very nice change up.

:)
Kevin

38053WDW

The higher floor does make sense with the boat noise. I didn't even think of that. I would think the higher the floor the better view of the electric water parade on the lake but then again maybe any floor would be good for that . ????

Thanks for the menu... thats a big help.

PS...does anyone know what the cost is of Chef Mickeys for breakfast ??? I have some reservations but not sure of the price.... also if someone knows the price for dinner at 1900 Park Fare ??

Thanks again

My wife loves Chef Mickeys .. me, eh now that the kids are older .. I would not do it multiple times for the cost reason alone... Oh . the boat horn will wake you up every morning if your a light sleeper.... but It makes my day because I know where I'm at when I hear it ! Great site for questions/menus/pricing >> http://allears.net/dining/locations and hopefully your already set up your Disney Experience >> https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/

Last edited:

kevinscruising

Original Poster
I think I will love the sound of the boat horn for the same reason :) I do have Chef Mickeys booked twice and that may be a bit much especially if there are other options at the Contemporary. Thanks for the web sites, I will do more investigating :)

Thanks,
Kevin

twinboyz98

We often stay at BLT, but love the amenities of the Contemporary. The Contempo Cafe is a quick easy option,and the Wave had a great selection and the food was great for us. Hop on the Monorail and try Kona Cafe at the Poly. They have the Tonga Toast! YUM!!! I think you have more options than you realize.;)

And there is a great coffee shop on the first level by the check in. Contemporary Grounds.

Enjoy your trip!!

kevinscruising

Original Poster
We often stay at BLT, but love the amenities of the Contemporary. The Contempo Cafe is a quick easy option,and the Wave had a great selection and the food was great for us. Hop on the Monorail and try Kona Cafe at the Poly. They have the Tonga Toast! YUM!!! I think you have more options than you realize.;)

And there is a great coffee shop on the first level by the check in. Contemporary Grounds.

Enjoy your trip!!

I like what I'm hearing :)

Innkeeper's Club

If you want to stay on the highest floor possible you should request the 11th floor. Their 12th and 14th floors are all Club Level rooms, so unless you got an upgrade there is no chance of staying on one of those two floors.

jlsHouston

We recently spent the last weekend of our vacation at BLT. I really liked the CONT. Ate at Contempo for breakfast and lunch one day. Very good QS. Great cupcakes too:oops:. There was this huge outside patio when you walked out of the skywalk that connects the BLT to CONT with benches and a great view of the MK castle. Nice lounge areas on the 3rd? floor too and of course our last meal was at Chef Mickey's where we said hello and good by to the Fab 5. Didn't have time to do the pool at CONT just did the cove pool at BLT which was loud but very kid friendly.

horizons82

Glad to see this thread as my wife and I will be staying at the Contemporary for the first time ever (and it will actually be our first-time ever staying over on property as well).

As locals, we have visited and ate at the hotel on several occasions. It's a lovely hotel with a cool, modern design, but the main highlight for me is the monorail going right through it--not many places you can see that, and I've always dreamed of walking out of the door and seeing the monorail stopping or running through.

Chef Mickey's will also be a must-do for us on our trip as we've never done it before.

I'll also chime in that Contempo Cafe makes for a wonderful QS meal. While some of the others mentioned do have some more fun decor and themes to them, for me, nothing beats being able to look up to see the monorail gliding through the hotel between bites. And, their cupcakes ARE terrific!

horizons82

As far as cupcakes at the Contempo, they all looked excellent--I also had a mint chocolate one that was really good (it just comes down to preference as far as what your favorite flavors are).

I've also heard wonderful things about the bakery at the Boardwalk Inn. I haven't made it there (yet), but it sounds like it is worth a trip over there for their goodies as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom