First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolynesianPrincess

WDW is in Florida. BGW is in Virginia. At least your talking to someone thats actually been there.

Just cause someone works for Disney doesn't mean they have been there.

The cutbacks like cups and napkins may not seem like much individually but when all the cutbacks are added up, it's definitely something you notice. Pretty soon all the paper plates, cups, bowls will be generic. For the money they're saving they should be investing it INTO the parks, not lining upper managements pockets with bonuses.

Rescue Ranger

:mad:

See, some will think we are crazy for letting this bother us, but for me this is all a part of what sets Disney aside and submerges you in the "WORLD". Its those special touches. When I was there in April, they had their napkins. I REALLY hope they is just a holdover until they get their Halloween napkins and such, VERY soon hopefully!

jimogi

Am I a lesser Disney fanatic because I've never once paid attention to what was on the cup or napkin that I got at a quick service place in the 30+ years of trips to the park? Do I need to get my forum account revoked?
you & me too! As long as i have a plate & napkin:confused:. Don't get me wrong I love seeing all the different styles through all the different holiday seasons but end of the day they are disposable items!:)

BigThunderMatt

:mad:

See, some will think we are crazy for letting this bother us, but for me this is all a part of what sets Disney aside and submerges you in the "WORLD". Its those special touches. When I was there in April, they had their napkins. I REALLY hope they is just a holdover until they get their Halloween napkins and such, VERY soon hopefully!

Agreed...anybody remember these?:

Top-1.jpg

These went the way of the dodo a long time ago. But things like THIS were what made Disney so magical. All of the little pieces fit together into an entire magical vacation that you just can't get anymore.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I mean, I do understand the concept of Death by 1000 cuts, and declining by degrees that are discussed here quite often, and in a lot of respects, I agree with those viewpoints. I guess the paper cups and napkins are WAY down on my list of things that matter, compared to EMH offerings, monorail service, general attraction upkeep, etc. I know every little bit counts, but I don't honestly know I can tell what the cups used to look like prior to this. Were they blue with characters on them? The castle?

WDWFigment

I remember back in the day when Typhoon Lagoon had its own themed lunchboxes and kids meals. You got a coin, treasure map, toy, and this awesome box: http://www.tias.com/8386/PictPage/3923615221.html

I remember this from when I was a kid. Cutting these details may look good on paper, but there are long-term ramifications. You never know what's going to stick in someone's memory as a "special" part of their experience that helps drive them to return later in life. All of the little things add up.

Jimmy Thick

Rumors pursist they will even take Disney World off the name off the resort, it will just be a nameless piece of land in Florida as a way to save money.

Jimmy Thick- * Roll's eyes...*

Tod&BigMamaOdie

I mean, I do understand the concept of Death by 1000 cuts, and declining by degrees that are discussed here quite often, and in a lot of respects, I agree with those viewpoints. I guess the paper cups and napkins are WAY down on my list of things that matter, compared to EMH offerings, monorail service, general attraction upkeep, etc. I know every little bit counts, but I don't honestly know I can tell what the cups used to look like prior to this. Were they blue with characters on them? The castle?
and I agree; I get it too, that many feel it's symbolic of the many cuts and decline in general. But does anyone keep their disposable cups and napkins? Did the cup hold your beverage? Did it taste any different? Were you able to remove any leftover food, condiments and grease from your hands, mouth and clothing after eating?
It serves it's useful purpose and is disposed of.
Does this cup/napkin change thing happen regularly? Like a back and forth of sometimes they're custom and sometimes they're generic?
The reason I ask is because I noticed a "Coke" cup yesterday (or Monday), while reading "WDW Pictures from the 80's" thread in the General Discussion. Take a look at page 7, I believe.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Am I a lesser Disney fanatic because I've never once paid attention to what was on the cup or napkin that I got at a quick service place in the 30+ years of trips to the park? Do I need to get my forum account revoked?
No. Rest assured that there are others out here who think that the primary purpose of a cup is to hold liquid and not patterns on the outside.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
We have those cups at the Ukrop's Cafe here in Martin's Supermarkets now... after Martin's decided to go cheap and stop buying the cupst with Ukrop's Cafe name on them (even though that is still the name of the cafe, after the founders and original owners that they bought them from).

Let's see... $450 per night at your local hotel just down the monorail line, and almost $100 to get into the park, but somehow we can't afford to have napkins and cups that have your logo on them... and even when we do, we can't distinguish between our California "Disney Park" and our Florida "Disney Park."

Compare this to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, which actually changes its napkins for its "Christmas Town" celebration even to mark the event. An annual pass at Busch Gardens is about $120, $99 to renew. To include Water Country, USA, their sister water park (inspired, by the way, in the beginning by River Country), adds about $70. And Kingsmill, their resort adjacent, is a world class golf destination on the beautiful James River next to Jamestown, and about half the price of a DVC resort. They even offer week-long "jump" passes that include Colonial Williamsburg, for less than Disney charges for a four-day pass.

And yet every cup and napkin tells you that you are Busch Gardens (not a "Sea World Parks" resort, which they are).

Outstanding point. They have always had their items themed to what they are with an array of merchandise exclusive store to store. There merchandise is not homogenized across the park at all. Hey, they even have two different clearance stores for older merchandise. To add to your pass rates that you posted; keep in mind that along with their passes they offer EZPay which is the monthly payment plan. If you enroll in EZPay and let it roll to the next pass year then you are locked into the previous year's rate so long as you continue to renew. My family's platinum passes are below $200 due to that.

I would like to correct the Kingsmill aspect. Kingsmill was owned and BUILT by the BUSCH FAMILY. THEY BUILT IT (let me stop there). When InBev bought AB Kingsmill was sold separately than the parks and they are no longer related. ON THAT NOTE, BGW has their VERY OWN Resort Hotel on the books to be connected to the park. On top of that a fairly large expansion on the way.

Watch out, this company has big big big plans.

Have you ever tried calling Busch Gardens Williamsburg? It goes right to Orlando to a person that's never been there, "Thank you for calling Sea World and Busch Gardens my name is ____"

Yes, I have called their quite often. Who you speak with is all determined on which number you call. There is a call center in house in Williamsburg. The general vacation planning information call center is in OTown.

WDW is in Florida. BGW is in Virginia. At least your talking to someone thats actually been there.

I cannot tell the point of this post. BGW is in Va but its sister parks are in Florida and they have not cutback. It is quite the oppisite; SWO has a huge rehab going on with Antarctica that should be the first to bring certain ride technology to OTown. BGT has added two coasters in the past six years with a drop tower headed their next. From sounds it will only be a couple to few years until another coaster noses its head up there.

Just cause someone works for Disney doesn't mean they have been there.

The cutbacks like cups and napkins may not seem like much individually but when all the cutbacks are added up, it's definitely something you notice. Pretty soon all the paper plates, cups, bowls will be generic. For the money they're saving they should be investing it INTO the parks, not lining upper managements pockets with bonuses.

This is the truth all the way. The CP validates this statement even more. These kids working in the CP from around the country have a high rate of "Never been to WDW." It is shocking that some of them still aren't sure which ride is in what park and what the theme or story of them are.

Jimmy Thick

Ok, pop question.

How can Disney or TDO be considered "cheap" when they are going to be brining us Avatar and Carsland which both combined could cost in excess around 2 BILLION dollars?

Not to mention smaller scale refurbishments and additions?

Jimmy Thick- Lol, what?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Ok, pop question.

How can Disney or TDO be considered "cheap" when they are going to be brining us Avatar and Carsland which both combined could cost in excess around 2 BILLION dollars?

Jimmy Thick- Lol, what?
Because for some cheap = "Disney is doing something I don't like"

experiment624

Ok, pop question.

Jimmy Thick- Lol, what?

Penny wise, pound foolish?

twinnstar

I prefer things to be blank then to have "Disney Parks" on them ... it just makes me thinks of Six Flags or something and makes me soooooooo irritated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom