1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

First solo trip

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Planning' started by MagicMegan, Apr 21, 2017.

1. mightylibrarian

mightylibrarian New Member

I'm a passholder and go by myself about 3 times a year. If I'm staying on property I frequently get the dining plan, do meals I normally wouldn't splurge on and a dinner show. I love the freedom and like traveling by myself. I also love Disney World and enjoy wandering around. I can nap when I want, ride what I want, and eat what I want. Selfish, yes but I have fun.

AuburnBelle919 and jaklgreen like this.
  2. Minthorne

Minthorne Well-Known Member

Sure, I'm planning to be in Pandora a bunch!

jaklgreen likes this.
  3. DoleWhipperSnapper

DoleWhipperSnapper Active Member

I have never done a solo trip, but I think it is a wonderful idea and feel a lot of people actually do it and a lot for the reason you explained you are doing it for. As you explained in your post you are doing this for your sanity and I think that is great. That leads me to believe a lot of rest and relaxation should be in order as well as maybe some pampering. You may even want to schedule a massage during your stay to go along with your Park visits. Also set time for pool time at the resort with some drinks if that is your thing. I don't know about scheduling every evening for Dining Reservations because you are a party of 1 and it shouldn't be too difficult to get into a restaurant with one person. As well Lounges and sitting at the bar may be a good idea as well. The main thing is enjoy yourself and relax.

JeffBostock likes this.
  4. NeedMoreMickey

NeedMoreMickey Well-Known Member

On Wednesday I booked my first solo trip and I’m very excited. My husband thinks I’m crazy. I usually go with my sister and lately her daughter & friend every March on one of those have to be doing something every minute of the day trips. The last two years my husband and I have taken a trip in October and since he has medical issues these trips are just the opposite, sometimes too laid-back for me. It’s not unusual for me to walk over to Epcot in the afternoon by myself or wonder down to HS for the night time show alone. A couple of years ago I was going to take a solo trip and my husband talked me into taking my sister. She tried, said whatever you want to do is fine but it wasn’t she was bored so I caved. We had a nice time but it wasn’t the time I wanted. So I want my solo trip to be somewhere in the middle, a nice leisurely but still see and do thing trip.

jaklgreen likes this.
  5. Jamie77

Jamie77 Member

Everything you said except I'm an early riser.

6. Jamie77

Jamie77 Member

I did Pop solo for the first time in 2004 and stayed for 8 nights. I was excited about being able to do everything I wanted to do since my previous trips were with others and I couldn't do much. The excitement masked the noise all around me at this resort since I was riding high on so much adrenaline. I mean, I could do anything I wanted, when I wanted! I didn't have bickering or sarcastic family members and I could get up at the crack of dawn to get ready for the next Disney day. I could reserve dining at restaurants that no one else wanted to try (or pay for). Since then, I prefer deluxe resorts because the thing that irks me the most are the long lines at the values at the bus stops in the evenings. I'm doing 8 days solo in July and staying at the WDW Dolphin.

I did the quick service dining plan only once. I prefer to stockpile Disney gift cards and use those on my trips.

jaklgreen and helenabear like this.
  7. helenabear

helenabear Well-Known Member

I did a few trips by myself at the Swan - that's a perfect location IMO for a solo trip!

8. Jamie77

Jamie77 Member

That's great to hear! This is my first time staying there. It will eliminate the need to ride buses for at least two parks. I've made it a tradition to walk to/from Epcot or the Studios whenever I get the chance. And I absolutely LOVE the boats.

helenabear likes this.
  9. Jamie77

Jamie77 Member

This is the best part of planning. Making and changing ADRs/FPs are a daily routine for me this month.

10. helenabear

I love it there for that reason. Though DHS is kind of low on my list, now but the walk to each park is nice or the boats. I'd often take the boat to DHS but walk to Epcot. Not sure why but that's how I did it most often. While I stayed the Swan more (not sure why) I liked Tubbi's and The Fountain oh and Fresh too. So many good options in one place. The beds are to die for as well!

Jamie77 likes this.
  11. Jamie77

Jamie77 Member

I can't wait to see what those beds are like. I've been hearing so much about them over the years.

12. helenabear

If we hadn't bought DVC, I'd only stay at the Swan/Dolphin because of them. They are that great!

Jamie77 likes this.
  13. Jamie77

Jamie77 Member

On one of my solo trips, the Jungle Cruise skipper let me "drive" the boat. They may do that for other people but I've never seen it done before. But to be fair, I hardly ride this one much so I can't say how often it's done. I have the best intentions to do this ride when I'm in the park but end up getting side-tracked.

14. Jamie77

Jamie77 Member

I'm scared to tell people I'm going solo because then they'll ask to tag along.:banghead:

15. MagicMegan

MagicMegan Active Member Original Poster

I made some ADRs, then canceled them all. I'm torn on whether I want to be tied down to being somewhere at a certain time, or just winging it. I'm also not sure how much I will eat. I hate the humid hot, and don't eat much when I'm uncomfortable. So... lol

Jamie77 likes this.
  16. MagicMegan

A lot of people at work asked why I didn't invite them. At first I said sorry and asked if they wanted to go, but now my replies are more of a "If you have the money right now I can add you on, but honestly, I don't want anyone to go with me..."

Jamie77 likes this.
  17. Jamie77

Jamie77 Member

I ended up getting guilt-tripped into taking a friend to WDW. Needless to say, we aren't friends anymore. That woman was the epitome of selfishness and pettiness. She totally ruined my supposed-to-be-solo trip.

18. MagicMegan

I'm not sure why but this is one of my favorite rides... I always seem to laugh and the DUMBEST parts though, when no one is gets the little quip remarks the skipper makes, so everyone is staring at me and the CM is trying not to crack up at how hard I'm laughing...

jaklgreen and Jamie77 like this.
  19. Jamie77

Jamie77 Member

I need to learn to be more assertive...

20. MagicMegan

I've been waitressing and bartending for 15 years... I can usually get my point across pretty well now. Sometimes with only a look. lol

jaklgreen likes this.