First Disneyland and DCA Trip Report!

JillC LI

Original Poster
I’m back from out west! We had an amazing trip despite our flight to LAX getting cancelled while we were driving to the airport at 4:30am and, after much angst, finally getting a later flight to San Diego instead. Fortunately, we were able to switch our rental car, and the first 2 days of our trip were just for visiting family near Laguna Beach so we didn’t miss much. We also spent a whole day touring LA, including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Dolby Theater, handprints by the Chinese Theater, eating at the In & Out Burger (I’ll stick with Shake Shack!), visiting Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive (and Sprinkles ATM!), Griffin Observatory and the Hollywood sign, Venice Beach, and Santa Monica Pier (the word “rest” is not in our vacation vocabulary! LOL) We had beautiful weather the entire trip.

DCA (5/27) – We were in the very front of a HUGE line at the rope before rope drop so we changed our plan to get a FP for RSR and decided to go straight to the attraction. We were among the first few people to walk right onto it. Wow. Loved it! Just entering CarsLand to get to the ride was such a thrill. So wonderfully themed and immersive. Great way to start our day.

Because we are Park commandos, we got to do sooo much in one day including RSR, Luigi’s Flying Tires, ToT, Monster’s Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue, Soarin’, Mickey’s Fun Wheel, Swinging (just my husband and son – they loved it), King Triton’s Carousel (just my daughter and I – loved the unique “horses”), California Screamin’ (all but chicken me), Mater’s Junkyard Whip, saw Aladdin (what an incredible show – can’t imagine that the Broadway version is much better, just longer), and Goofy’s Sky School (all but chicken me). At this point, my husband and son left to go see a Dodgers Game (go LA!) while my daughter and I stayed in the Park until closing. We met Minnie Mouse, rode Golden Zephyr, Jellyfish Jumpers (just her), played at the Red Creek Challenge, rode Soarin’ again, rode Toy Story Mania (was it just us, or are the launchers easier to use at DL than at WDW?), went on the Bakery Tour, rode RSR again on the Single Riders line (20 minute wait), and finally saw World of Color (again, wow!).

Throughout the course of the day, various members of our family got delicious churros at Cozy Cone Motel, amazing corndogs at Corn Dog Castle, burger and fries at Taste Pilot Grill (nothing special), and broccoli & cheese soup in a bread bowl from Pacific Wharf (my daughter and I nearly ate the plates, it was so delicious!).

Overall, we really enjoyed this Park. Touring Plans had listed it as a crowd level of 8 that day, but I thought it was more of a 5. We only needed 1 FP all day (to ride Soarin’ a second time).

DL (5/28) – Conversely, Touring Plans listed this Park as a 4 this day, but it felt more like an 8 with the Grad Nite crowds. Touring Plans was really off on their predictions. We used FPs all throughout the day. Once again we were off and running from opening til closing. We wanted to focus mostly on attractions we couldn’t experience on the east coast. We were able to do Matterhorn Bobsleds (rather jerky, we thought), Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Star Tours, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride (I was particularly interested in trying this after all the hoopla about bringing this classic back to WDW, and I certainly did enjoy it, but I’m not sure I get all the hoopla), and Gadget Go Run (kids only). We wanted to do Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin but it was down. Next we rode Pirates of the Caribbean (this was by far my FAVORITE attraction of the trip – it BLOWS AWAY the WDW version!!!! Also, I thought the seating at Blue Bayou looked really cool although we didn’t eat there - no time for table-service meals on this trip), Haunted Mansion, had lunch and saw the Laughing Stock Company at the Golden Horseshoe, rode Indiana Jones Adventure when it finally came back on line after being down awhile (thank goodness! It was really great), rode Big Thunder Mountain RR (also much better than the WDW version), Splash Mountain (we did the single rider line because there was a 70 minute wait and we had a pending FP already, but the single rider line turned out to have a 50 minute wait in the end which kind of stunk), Davey Crockett Canoes (we all thought this was really unique and fun), did some souvenir shopping and heard the Dapper Dans perform, did the walkthrough of Sleeping Beauty’s castle (although I couldn’t find the damn wishing well – where was it?!), Pinocchio’s Daring Journey (cute), and Autopia. There was so much to do that no one cared that Space Mtn was closed for refurbishment.

We got Dole Whips midday (worth the 20 minute wait on line as always!), popcorn, and we ate dinner at River Belle Terrace, grabbing a table outside to watch Fantasmic! at 9pm, but our seats had an awful view, so we left after 10 minutes to get a decent view for the fireworks. The fireworks were absolutely wonderful but unfortunately got cut short after 10 minutes “due to high winds” (that none of us could feel??).

In sum, we really enjoyed DCA and DL. I think that I’m still a WDW girl at heart, but I’m so glad
I got to experience the “original,” brief though our visit was. My favorite parts were PotC, RSR, Aladdin show, Indiana Jones, and World of Color. Again, a huge thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me with the planning.

Two final notes to those who may be interested:

Hotel – The Best Western Park Place Inn was so convenient and comfortable that I would recommend it in a heartbeat. So glad we stayed here.

Way.com – Got my tix in advance from here saving about $30, and there was no problem whatsoever turning them into park passes at the turnstyle.

sweetpee_1993

Wow! Your stamina is impressive! I'd venture to say you did as much or more than we did in 6 days! Wow! Loved hearing about it all. Your pics are great, too. ;)

JillC LI

Original Poster
Wow! Your stamina is impressive! I'd venture to say you did as much or more than we did in 6 days! Wow! Loved hearing about it all. Your pics are great, too. ;)

LOL, thanks. Our Disney trips are usually brief so we've learned how to pack in as much as possible. We miss out on some of the great little things you can see when you take time to stop and smell the roses, but so it goes. We're all still trying to catch up on lost sleep at home now!

Texas84

I'm exhausted after reading that. :D I have to go back for a non-running trip some day. What did you think about Splash vs. WDW? We got absolutely drenched. I mean we went under a huge wave after the drop.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Glad you had fun! I may be picking your brain some time soon.

Any time!

I'm exhausted after reading that. :D I have to go back for a non-running trip some day. What did you think about Splash vs. WDW? We got absolutely drenched. I mean we went under a huge wave after the drop.

LOL. I had heard that you get much wetter on Splash at DL than WDW, and since I am not someone who likes to walk around in wet clothes, I actually brought a clear rain poncho to wear on the ride. I looked like an idiot according to my kids, but I didn't care. I also kept my backpack with the entire family's electronic equipment in it dry under the poncho just in case. As it turned out, I was in the 5th of 6 seats in the single file toboggan (another difference from WDW), and I only got slightly wet as did my daughter in seat 6. The people in seats 1 and 2 got drenched though.

JediMasterMatt

The fireworks were absolutely wonderful but unfortunately got cut short after 10 minutes “due to high winds” (that none of us could feel??).

Yeah, unfortunately the fireworks at Disneyland are very finicky when it comes to wind. It's not the wind (or lack there of) at Main Street level that is the issue - the the wind a few hundred feet up that is the problem. It's the little bubble of air circulating that is trapped between the Pacific and under the mountains to the east. If the current drops too low coming over Anaheim, the fireworks get cancelled. It can be perfectly calm at park level and have strong winds just above you.

The same winds got me 2 out of the 4 trys to photograph Remember Dreams Come True this past Feburary.

As you can see by my avatar photo... I unfortunately have to know more about Disney's firework policies than I care to admit to any person not on a fan website.

gboiler1

We also spent a whole day touring LA, including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Dolby Theater, handprints by the Chinese Theater, eating at the In & Out Burger (I’ll stick with Shake Shack!), visiting Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive (and Sprinkles ATM!), Griffin Observatory and the Hollywood sign, Venice Beach, and Santa Monica Pier (the word “rest” is not in our vacation vocabulary! LOL) We had beautiful weather the entire trip.

Hotel – The Best Western Park Place Inn was so convenient and comfortable that I would recommend it in a heartbeat. So glad we stayed here.

Sounds like a mighty fun time. Can you give me any tips on Venice Beach? My 15 year old daughter has become engrossed in AMC's Freakshow. She wants to visit the boardwalk so I'm looking for tips.

Also any tips for the hotel stay? We are also booked at the Best Western. How long is the walk and any other tips for our stay at the hotel?

fmingo36

Sounds like you had a great time! You guys really know how to make the most of every minute!
I agree with you about what you said about the Aladdin show. When I heard they were doing it on Broadway, I was thinking "well I guess seeing it in DL saved us about $500 because I can't image the show on Broadway being much better or different from the show at DCA" although I would love to see Jonathan Freeman as Jafar.

Now you have to plan you're next trip out for one of the DL races. :D

Last edited:

JillC LI

Original Poster
As you can see by my avatar photo... I unfortunately have to know more about Disney's firework policies than I care to admit to any person not on a fan website.

Your avatar picture is beautiful though so you obviously eventually had success. Great photo.

Sounds like a mighty fun time. Can you give me any tips on Venice Beach? My 15 year old daughter has become engrossed in AMC's Freakshow. She wants to visit the boardwalk so I'm looking for tips.

Also any tips for the hotel stay? We are also booked at the Best Western. How long is the walk and any other tips for our stay at the hotel?

Well, as far as Venice Beach goes, I don't really have any tips other than to keep your eyes open because as you walk along the boardwalk, you see all kinds of crazy sights. Oh, and the parking lot that is about 2 blocks from the boardwalk is actually twice as much money as the parking lot directly on the boardwalk, so it's worth trying to get closer to see if they have room left.

Which Best Western are you booked at? Park Place Inn & Suites? We really liked the location of that place a lot, and the rooms were clean and a nice size with two queen beds. There is a Captain Kidd's restaurant right next door where guests of the hotel get to eat breakfast for free. It is a buffet that includes hot food, and it is certainly plentiful, but I will say that the food was among the worst tasting breakfast foods we have ever tasted. I'm not very particular about scrambled eggs and potatoes and donuts, but I could barely eat any of them. I would up eating a toasted bagel and cream cheese and a banana each morning. It was fine and it was free and convenient so I'm not really complaining, just giving you a heads up. You are literally directly across the street from the entrance to both DCA and DL - less than a 5 minute walk to bag check. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

@fmingo36, yes, I need to find an excuse to get back there! And I loved how they updated the jokes that the Genie told in Aladdin.

gboiler1

Well, as far as Venice Beach goes, I don't really have any tips other than to keep your eyes open because as you walk along the boardwalk, you see all kinds of crazy sights. Oh, and the parking lot that is about 2 blocks from the boardwalk is actually twice as much money as the parking lot directly on the boardwalk, so it's worth trying to get closer to see if they have room left.

Which Best Western are you booked at? Park Place Inn & Suites? We really liked the location of that place a lot, and the rooms were clean and a nice size with two queen beds. There is a Captain Kidd's restaurant right next door where guests of the hotel get to eat breakfast for free. It is a buffet that includes hot food, and it is certainly plentiful, but I will say that the food was among the worst tasting breakfast foods we have ever tasted. I'm not very particular about scrambled eggs and potatoes and donuts, but I could barely eat any of them. I would up eating a toasted bagel and cream cheese and a banana each morning. It was fine and it was free and convenient so I'm not really complaining, just giving you a heads up. You are literally directly across the street from the entrance to both DCA and DL - less than a 5 minute walk to bag check. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the info Jill, yes we are booked at the Park Place Inn primarily for being across the street and the pic on their site of the Monorail and Matterhorn sold me. Perhaps their breakfasts will improve :) If not a nice sweet treat on Main Street is always a good idea!

We'll be looking forward to the crazy sights in Venice. You certainly don't get that in Illinois! Hopefully we can get there early in the day for the closer parking.
Would you say a few hours should suffice in Venice? We'll probably stay in the boardwalk/sidewalk area and skip venturing to the waterways or upscale shopping.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Would you say a few hours should suffice in Venice? We'll probably stay in the boardwalk/sidewalk area and skip venturing to the waterways or upscale shopping.

I would say that we spent about 1.5 hours walking along the little shops on the boardwalk (which I would not call upscale at all). We did not make it all the way to the end of the shops, and we did not venture down to the water either. That was plenty of time to take in the "ambiance"! LOL. Coming from NY where marijuana is not yet legal for sale, we were fascinated by all the stores that appeared to sell it along the boardwalk. By the way, a lot of the shops carry the same merchandise, and if you want any souvenirs, you will find they get cheaper the further you walk along the boardwalk. Prime real estate close to the entrance, I guess. We got a bunch of nice t-shirts for $5 each. Also, once you are in Venice Beach, you might want to consider a visit to the Santa Monica Pier.

gboiler1

I would say that we spent about 1.5 hours walking along the little shops on the boardwalk (which I would not call upscale at all). We did not make it all the way to the end of the shops, and we did not venture down to the water either. That was plenty of time to take in the "ambiance"! LOL. Coming from NY where marijuana is not yet legal for sale, we were fascinated by all the stores that appeared to sell it along the boardwalk. By the way, a lot of the shops carry the same merchandise, and if you want any souvenirs, you will find they get cheaper the further you walk along the boardwalk. Prime real estate close to the entrance, I guess. We got a bunch of nice t-shirts for $5 each. Also, once you are in Venice Beach, you might want to consider a visit to the Santa Monica Pier.

Sounds about like I was guessing. I think we'll venture over while staying in the Hollywood area since its closer than my grandmother's in Arcadia. I know we want to check out the Venice Beach Freakshow and the other performers. Good tip, sounds a little like Hollywood Blvd when it comes to shopping.
Yeah, Illinois is the same when it comes to parapernalia...lol or lack of it for now.
We actually enjoyed the Santa Monica Pier on our last visit. The boardwalk is nice even though we didn't ride the amusements. We did however meet Jeff Probst from Survivor on the beach. He was very nice and took a photo with us.

Rufus T Firefly

Your avatar picture is beautiful though so you obviously eventually had success. Great photo.

@fmingo36, yes, I need to find an excuse to get back there! And I loved how they updated the jokes that the Genie told in Aladdin.

Unfortunately, Capt. Kidd's is universally infamous for it's poor quality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom