First attempt at Wizarding World of Harry Potter - any advice appreciated!

jeffk410

Original Poster
Hello –

I’ve raised this question once a couple of years ago - making the information dated- and I ended up opting not to make the venture to Universal that year. However, this May I am certainly making the trip now that the whole Wizarding World of Harry Potter experience is open.

I have only been to Universal once over a decade ago, so I am completely baffled with how to plan this day trip. I will be staying at Saratoga without a rental, so I am going to need to book transportation (there are only two of us). I’ve read into it a bit and it seems like Mears may be the best option.

Basically I am looking for any insight into:

- Convenient/ reasonably cost effective way to get back and forth to Universal.

- A strategy to attack the HP attractions. What I should do first, etc.

o This is probably the biggest stressor so any tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Texas84

We did Gringott's first because it was new. This was January and we were able to ride it twice. Then took the train to Hogwarts and rode that twice. Did some coasters at IoA then took the train back to do other Uni rides. You have to ride the train both ways. It's different each direction.

jeffk410

Original Poster
We did Gringott's first because it was new. This was January and we were able to ride it twice. Then took the train to Hogwarts and rode that twice. Did some coasters at IoA then took the train back to do other Uni rides. You have to ride the train both ways. It's different each direction.

Thanks! Ya, I've heard riding the train both ways is a must.

As for the attractions, I still really don't know what is what, but will have to do some research. There are two coasts correct? / How intense are they?

Texas84

Thanks! Ya, I've heard riding the train both ways is a must.

As for the attractions, I still really don't know what is what, but will have to do some research. There are two coasts correct? / How intense are they?

Hulk is ridiculous and I'll never ride it again. :D But it is an amazing coaster. Dueling Dragons is not as bad but they had some sharp turns that got to me. There are two sides and one side is more intense. Don't remember which. We also did Spiderman. Another simulator but it was really fun.

The Universal side has Rip Ride Rockit but I've never been on it. Looks fun. Just had other priorities.

jeffk410

Original Poster
Hulk is ridiculous and I'll never ride it again. :D But it is an amazing coaster. Dueling Dragons is not as bad but they had some sharp turns that got to me. There are two sides and one side is more intense. Don't remember which. We also did Spiderman. Another simulator but it was really fun.

The Universal side has Rip Ride Rockit but I've never been on it. Looks fun. Just had other priorities.

To be honest, I imagine we will only really do the Harry Potter attractions. We are big HP fans and only having one day I imagine we will just stay in those areas.

ratherbeinwdw

Gringotts and Mummy are on the line of BTMR but not as jerky. The two outside coasters are really intense.
FJ is not a coaster, but it is pretty intense as far as motion. It's my daughter's favorite ride at UNI.
Make sure and do FJ as early as possible just like Gringotts. The first day we went to FJ, the line was long. The second day, we went there first and there was only a five minute wait. Gringotts was long even when we got there early because of the early entry for onsite guests. We got in the single rider line and got in with 15 minutes when the standby line was at 60 minutes. Be aware, though, that they don't open the single rider when the standby line gets very long. The Express from King's Crossing has a much longer line than the Hogmeade side does. No matter when we did the Express from Hogsmeade, we never had to wait more than a few minutes. However, we waited in line for an hour from King's Crossing and still didn't get to ride that day. It kept breaking down. The next time we tried, we still had a 50 minute wait.

Mukta

I have so much I want to tell you!

When I used to go from WDW (now I stay at Universal), I tried many transportation options. These days, I go with a cab. It is faster although a bit pricey ($40 each way). That way my time is maximized in the park.

Utilize single rider if you are running low on time. The Gringotts queue is amazing, but if the line if well over 2 hours, just do single rider.
Do you want just info on HP attractions or Universal Attractions in general? For HP, Universal has built Diagon Alley. It has the Gringotts ride, Floreans ice cream shop, leaky cauldron, a bunch of stores like and some live shows.
IOA has the Forbidden Journey of HP. It is inside the Hogwarts castle. It is quite thrilling (simulator and kuka arm) and it is not for everyone. They also re-themed two existing rides (Flying Unicorn and Dueling Dragons). You can hear Moaning Myrtle in the bathroom, visit the candy shop and see the wand ceremony at Ollivanders. (actually both parks have an Ollivanders now)

Don't bring a lot of stuff. Almost all of the rides require you to put your stuff in a locker. Cargo pants will be your friend.

Texas84

To be honest, I imagine we will only really do the Harry Potter attractions. We are big HP fans and only having one day I imagine we will just stay in those areas.

You could easily spend a whole day in the two areas if you like to explore and look at the details.

jeffk410

Original Poster
I have so much I want to tell you!

When I used to go from WDW (now I stay at Universal), I tried many transportation options. These days, I go with a cab. It is faster although a bit pricey ($40 each way). That way my time is maximized in the park.

Utilize single rider if you are running low on time. The Gringotts queue is amazing, but if the line if well over 2 hours, just do single rider.
Do you want just info on HP attractions or Universal Attractions in general? For HP, Universal has built Diagon Alley. It has the Gringotts ride, Floreans ice cream shop, leaky cauldron, a bunch of stores like and some live shows.
IOA has the Forbidden Journey of HP. It is inside the Hogwarts castle. It is quite thrilling (simulator and kuka arm) and it is not for everyone. They also re-themed two existing rides (Flying Unicorn and Dueling Dragons). You can hear Moaning Myrtle in the bathroom, visit the candy shop and see the wand ceremony at Ollivanders. (actually both parks have an Ollivanders now)

Don't bring a lot of stuff. Almost all of the rides require you to put your stuff in a locker. Cargo pants will be your friend.

Thanks for the info! A cab may end up being our best option then, I guess I can justify 80 bucks roundtrip if it helps us maximize an already expensive day. I imagine we will just stick to Harry Potter attractions; although, I will be looking for a decent place to eat..

How intense is Forbidden Journey? One previous poster just said pretty intense -- we've done a lot of intense coasters before, but lately certain motion has been giving me pretty bad headaches. (Even two consecutive rides on Everest gives me a pretty solid headache now).

Also -- We plan to get there for opening, what area do you suggest targeting first?

Mukta

Please don't just do HP. Spiderman, MIB, Transformers are excellent attractions. The Horror Show is so funny and the Nighttime water show makes me cry more than Fantasmic! does. Poseidon's Fury and Cat in the Hat are things I miss whenever I think of the parks.

Mythos is a great place to eat.

I'll be honest with you about FJ. I can't ride it anymore. I have tried it twice, but it really makes me sick. I am a super wuss though. You should definitely ride it once, but know that you might need to sit down for a bit afterwards.

I did a lot better with Gringotts.

jeffk410

Original Poster
Please don't just do HP. Spiderman, MIB, Transformers are excellent attractions. The Horror Show is so funny and the Nighttime water show makes me cry more than Fantasmic! does. Poseidon's Fury and Cat in the Hat are things I miss whenever I think of the parks.

Mythos is a great place to eat.

I'll be honest with you about FJ. I can't ride it anymore. I have tried it twice, but it really makes me sick. I am a super wuss though. You should definitely ride it once, but know that you might need to sit down for a bit afterwards.

I did a lot better with Gringotts.

Hmm, ya I'll give FJ a try, but I imagine it'll make me pretty sick haha - is the theming that immersive? I'll try to keep an open mind to other things, the nighttime water show could be something we would like.

Do you have any suggestions for what attractions to attack first thing in the AM?

Appreciate your advice!

Mukta

You are going in May, right? Check and see which park opens first and give me the park hours of your date.

jeffk410

Original Poster
You are going in May, right? Check and see which park opens first and give me the park hours of your date.

Oops, my first post was incorrect.

IoA 9am-7pm
Universal 9am-9pm

I am assuming the night time show is at Universal?

Mukta

I usually start with IOA. Spiderman, Dudley Do Right, Jurassic Park and then I do HP stuff. FJ, Ollivanders, look in a few stores and get a butterbeer. From there i would eat lunch at Mythos and check out Poseidon's Fury. Ride Cat in the Hat and take Hogwarts Express to Universal. That should be around 3 pm.

In Uni, single rider Gringotts and get some ice cream at Floreans. Check out the HP stuff til 6 or so. Hit up Disaster!, MIB, Simpsons stuff (if you like that show at all, Springfield is incredibly well themed), the Horror show, Transformers (single rider), eat a QS dinner anywhere and see the Cinematic Spectacular at 9.

jeffk410

Original Poster
I usually start with IOA. Spiderman, Dudley Do Right, Jurassic Park and then I do HP stuff. FJ, Ollivanders, look in a few stores and get a butterbeer. From there i would eat lunch at Mythos and check out Poseidon's Fury. Ride Cat in the Hat and take Hogwarts Express to Universal. That should be around 3 pm.

In Uni, single rider Gringotts and get some ice cream at Floreans. Check out the HP stuff til 6 or so. Hit up Disaster!, MIB, Simpsons stuff (if you like that show at all, Springfield is incredibly well themed), the Horror show, Transformers (single rider), eat a QS dinner anywhere and see the Cinematic Spectacular at 9.

Awesome, thanks a lot for your help. I'll definitely utilize the info - it'll be hard with only one day, but definitely something I need to do.

does Mythos require an ADP?

Mukta

Not really, but it helps. If you are there when they open at 11 am, they can usually seat you. They used to be on opentable, but these days, they are on a different app.

If you have AAA, you get discounts in just about every restaurant in the park including some of the HP ones. Be sure to bring yours if you have one!

ratherbeinwdw

We'll be there in May also.

I strongly recommend you go straight for FJ or Gringotts. They both have chicken doors, so make sure you do the queues even if you don't want to ride. The queues are amazing. Don't depend on the posted hours. We did that and two of our days, they had opened an hour earlier than posted hours on the site.
I would go for FJ first, then Express over to King's Crossing and do Gringotts, then come back to Hogsmeade after you do Diagon Alley. That's what we did one day and was able to do both rides. The crowds on Tuesday were much lighter than Friday.

We are going to do a Sunday and Wednesday this trip and maybe one other morning.

I also recommend a taxi, if you don't mind the cost. Luckily, we'll have a car. I paid 25.00 for preferred parking last time. I didn't realize I could get a discount since I bought an ap. I'll know that this trip.

We only did three half days when we went in October. We had fp's at Disney parks for the evenings. We were on a short 5 day trip, so every minute counted.

My favorite ride was/is Men in Black. I love that ride.

ratherbeinwdw

One other thing. Spiderman is an easy ride to get on. The wait was never more than posted 15 minutes which turned out to be 5, so you can save that for later in the day.

TalkingHead

I'm convinced the Hogwarts Express is busier now than it was last summer. I've regularly seen 30+ min waits in both directions.

The line in King's Cross was almost completely full this afternoon (the line stretched out into the corridor that passes the London travel posters).

If you're determined to get the complete Potter experience (riding the Hogwarts Express in both directions), you could do this:

-Start the day in USF and head straight to Diagon Alley. Do the standby line for Gringotts so that you see the entire queue.

-Go back out to London, take the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade. Ride Forbidden Journey standby so that you see the full queue. That might be a 45-60 wait by mid-morning.

-Look around Hogsmeade, go to Honeydukes and have a cauldron cake, or go inside Three Broomsticks/Hog's Head Pub for lunch or a drink. Either have lunch there or wait and have lunch at Leaky Cauldron when you've gone back to Diagon.

-Take the Hogwarts Express back to London, browse Diagon Alley, visit Olivanders wand shop, watch the shows (the puppet troupe and Celestina Warbeck), take in the atmosphere, and have some ice cream and/or one of the varieties of Butterbeer.

-Whatever's remaining of the day fill out with USF's attractions: Men in Black, Transformers, E.T., Mummy, Simpson's, etc. You'd miss Spider-man this way, which is a shame, but it would get you all of the Potter stuff and maybe a couple of the other headliners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom