Finally coming back to Disneyland - Trip Report in Process

Curious Constance

I want to surprise my kids one of these days, but I'm always so excited, I can't keep my mouth shut. I'm considering a possible solution to this could be to talk about a far away trip. Tell them we're going in six months, but surprise them much sooner.

MotherofaPrincessLover

I'm excited too. My daughter has no clue. I think I'm just going to pick her up from school and take her to the airport. she will think everyone is dropping just me off but then she will get to come to at the last second.
It's a surprise for my daughter, too. I'm still not sure when we're going to tell her. I'm thinking of maybe having her open a little gift on the plane with maybe some Mickey themed things or something like that.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Tomorrow this time I will be on a plane to DL! My daughter still has no idea (despite several slip ups by myself and other family members) and I can't wait to surprise her. We are spending Thursday and Friday in the parks and Saturday we will be heading to Club 33 for a special birthday lunch! It's both of our first times going to Club 33 and I am every grateful my cousin's boyfriend invited us. Saturday evening we will be heading to a family cookout and Sunday we come home.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
image.jpeg
We are currently at LAX our flight has been delayed 4 hours!

Our trip to Disneyland was a lot of fun and we had a great time. I will make a report when we get home.

Californian Elitist

The characters at DL are amazing. Peter Pan happened to be passing by. All alone no crowd no character handler. It really is a great experience just seeing them roaming around.

I agree. One time I was at the park and had on a shirt with Evil Queen from Snow White on it. I was on my way to Fantasyland and out comes Evil Queen and Fairy Godmother, talking about what, I don't know. Fairy Godmother spotted my shirt first and gleefully pointed it out to Evil Queen. Evil Queen acknowledged my shirt, praised me, and said everyone in the park should be wearing my shirt. It was a great experience.

Phroobar

The characters at DL are amazing. Peter Pan happened to be passing by. All alone no crowd no character handler. It really is a great experience just seeing them roaming around.
That is the way it use to be before it became a park attraction. Characters could roam around and play with the guests. There were no half hour lines for pictures.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
I figured I would just add our trip report to this thread. My daughter Lily (7) and I spent 2.5 days at Disneyland last week. 4/17 - 4/19. The trip was a surprise.. The surprise did not go as planned...

She was really confused after the video ends she kept asking questions, "Did you pack me clothes?", " Do I have a ticket to Disneyland or do I have to wait in the hotel?" It took her several minutes to really grasp that this was a planned trip and the ticket machine did not just spit out an extra ticket.

No need to worry about my son who was dying to go. He spent the weekend in Charleston fishing, boating and dolphin watching and having a great time with his dad. Next year we plan to switch and I will take Alec to Disneyland and Lily will go with Dad on an adventure.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Thursday 4/17 - DCA was opening at 9 we were through the gates about 20 minutes before opening. We parked in the Toy Story lot and took the bus over which I much prefer to the parking structure and trams.

IMG_9316.JPG

Birthday buttons were picked up

IMG_9318.JPG

and then it was straight to my daughter's most important thing to do on our trip. Meet Olaf! We were 5th in line to meet Anna, Elsa and Olaf at the animation building. First room is the sisters

DCA_ANIMATIONCHAR2_20160414_382860653002.jpeg

Then in the second room was the world's most huggable snowman. I needed to jump in for a picture too.

DCA_ANIMATIONCHAR1_20160414_382860313493.jpeg

On the way out of the animation building we stopped to get a lanyard. I could tell she was going to keep playing with the birthday button all day and rip a hole in her shirt.

60th lanyard acquired it was now time for Cars Land. As we walked past Bug's Land I asked her if she wanted to go in and she said " I'm to big for those baby rides!"
DCA_CARSLANDENTRANCE_20160414_7657278760.jpeg

First stop was Mater's - this is a favorite of ours. It's a fun little ride. I love the whipping back and forth.

IMG_9327.JPG

Then we hit the new and improved Luigi's - Lily carefully watched the cars dance and picked out the one she wanted. When the gates opened she managed to snag it.

IMG_9331.JPG

I really enjoyed the ride. It's similar to the tea cups or Mater's Lots of smiling happy faces and laughter during the ride. We got the Mambo Italiano.

IMG_9332.JPG

On the way out of Cars land we stopped to take a few pictures in front of different buildings but Lily wasn't interested in having her picture taken with any of the characters they had Red, McQueen and Mater all out. We picked up a FP for RSR's for later in the day and headed toward Paradise Pier.

This was a wonderful day to be in the parks the weather was perfect, sunny and warm, nice breeze and low crowds. According to my time stamps the above only covers out first hour in the park. 12 more hours until we head home for the night!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
After we got our RSR FP we noticed the Bug's Land 60th Anniversary Photo Spot. Lily decided she want to get a picture at each spot. So I got out the map and we found the next one which was right where we are going Paradise Pier. We stopped to watch California Screaming Launch and Lily thought the ride was cool but definitely did not want to ride - not that she is tall enough. We got a picture ad the CS photo spot and hopped on the carousel - no wait.

She wasn't interested in TSM and they weren't letting any new people in line at the moment - i guess it was down - so we moved on. The next ride that looked good to her was Goofy's Sky School (20 min wait). You can see her looking not to excited to ride.

001 facebook_cover (1).jpg

Next is what I refer to as THE INCIDENT

We stopped for a snack - caramel corn - and were getting ready to go on the Little Mermaid ride. She some how got it into her head that this was some sort of terrifying experience. She balked at the entrance and I had to take her over to a nearby bench for a chat. I described the whole ride to her explained she had been on it two years before. They let newborn babies ride it, it's really gentle etc. She still didn't want to go - it was too scary. I decided to make her go I told her we would ride and promised I would never make her ride anything that was too scary for her. I told her the plan we would ride, then hit the picture spot. She agreed.

As we stood in the 5 minute line I could tell she was really scared. I knew if she didn't ride this ride she would not get on anything else all trip. At the turn style before the moving sidewalk she freaked out. Started screaming "No" and crying. I picked her up as she tried to use her feet to stop us from goign through the turn style but luckily she is still tiny only 45 inches and 45 lbs. I quickly got her into a sea shell and lowed the bar. She had stop freaking out. I told her "You are goign to feel really silly when this ride is over." I reminded her if anything was too loud to just cover her ears and off we went. By the 2nd room she was fine and I could tell she was really embarrassed when we got off.

I didn't take any pictures as I was making sure Lily didn't try to jump off the ride but a lot of other people did judging by all the flashes especially in the Under the Sea room! About half the cars were taking flash pictures.

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Sorry for not coming back sooner this week had been crazy.

After the Little Mermaid drama we headed to lunch in the wharf area. We both had Mexican I tried the Food & Wine pulled pork and pineapple tacos - yum! Lily had a burrito from the kids meal. Quick stop in for a picture in front of Cars Land. Then we headed to Grizzly peak area to play for a while. We did the Junior Ranger scavenger hunt we spent about and hour playing. I convince Lily to give Soarin' a chance. She was really nervous but she did it will no incidents. In the picture below it was a second before she told me no more pictures- and this girl loves pictures. That is the face of fear. We headed to Buena Vista Street to meet some characters. On the schedule it said Minnie but we got Mickey instead. Lily wanted to meet princesses so we decided to head to DL. On the way out we saw Oswald so I stopped for a picture. Lily thought it was funny.
001 facebook_cover (1).jpg

Next stop Princesses!

D

Deleted member 107043

It's funny because just that morning she told her great-grandmother she was too old for Mickey but as soon as she saw him she was all in.

I say that every time I go to Disneyland and then I end up taking a picture with some Disney character. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom