Few questions about Dining Plan

squidward

Original Poster
Hi all. Hoping some who know about the DDP can give me some info. We've never used the plan before, but are considering possibly trying it for this summer. We're somewhere in the middle between the regular dining plan not having enough sit down meals, and the Deluxe Plan having more than we need. We're staying 8 nights. Here are out current sit down meals we have booked:

Kona Cafe - Breakfast
San Angel Inn - Lunch
Via Napoli - Dinner
Plaza - Lunch
Ohana - Dinner
Tusker House - Breakfast
Rainforest Cafe - Lunch
T-Rex - Dinner
Liberty Tree Tavern - Dinner
Grand Floridian Cafe - Breakfast
Via Napoli - Lunch
Ohana - Dinner
Kona Cafe - Breakfast
50's Prime Time - Lunch
Sci-Fi Dine In - Dinner
Tony's Town Square - Dinner

I should also point out, we're renting DVC points, so we'd be purchasing plan as DVC members (or however that's done).

If we don't use a table service meal 1 day, can we use it the following day? In other words, do they carry over? I know you don't get money back for unused meals.

If renting DVC points, does everyone have to have the plan?

21stamps

i was in the same predicament in 2015. I purchased the DDP and had quite a few meals that I knew I would pay out of pocket for.. I chose all breakfasts and room service orders for the out of pocket. Used the credits for lunch and dinner.

I paid OOP for a H&V Fantasmic package, only because I did not realize that I could use one credit on that meal. I found out shortly after my trip lol

belledream

Yes, your credits can be carried over to any day on your trip. You don't need to do a TS everyday, and you could do 3 on one day if you so wish.

Would err on the side of caution and not overdo it on credits and opt to pay OOP for some of the cheaper meals, as it can be very hard to break even if you're paying full price on the DDP.

Minnie Mum

I would say that neither of the dining plans suit your current plans. With the regular DP, many of your CS credits would go unused, and I would venture to say that many (most? ) snack credits would go unused as well if you're doing 3 TS meals on many days. Plus you'll be paying OOP for the extra TS meals.

OTOH, you don't have enough TS meals planned to cover the cost of the DxDP. And some of the ones you do have are definitely on the inexpensive end, likely costing less than the dining plan average.

On the whole, I think you're better off just paying OOP for food.

nickys

Premium Member
Echo what the others have said. It can be hard to make this work in your favour unless you have a LOT of buffets booked.

And everyone on the reservation must have the same dining plan.

squidward

Original Poster
Thank you all. One more question. We are checking in late Friday evening and checking out early the following Saturday. So, we obviously won't be using any dining credits those 2 days. So even though we're technically staying for 8 nights, can we purchase the plan for the 7 days we'll be using it?

Sabriel

Thank you all. One more question. We are checking in late Friday evening and checking out early the following Saturday. So, we obviously won't be using any dining credits those 2 days. So even though we're technically staying for 8 nights, can we purchase the plan for the 7 days we'll be using it?

The dining plan is counted by the nights you're staying. If memory serves correct, you do have to purchase it for the total nights (so, eight) even if you're only planning on using it seven days.

captainkidd

The dining plan is counted by the nights you're staying. If memory serves correct, you do have to purchase it for the total nights (so, eight) even if you're only planning on using it seven days.

Wow. That seems really weird on Disney's part. So for anyone arriving late and leaving early, purchasing the Deluxe plan is just as good as flushing $100 per person down the toilet. In other words, the Deluxe plan only makes sense if you are spending your entire time on Disney property.

Rob562

Wow. That seems really weird on Disney's part. So for anyone arriving late and leaving early, purchasing the Deluxe plan is just as good as flushing $100 per person down the toilet. In other words, the Deluxe plan only makes sense if you are spending your entire time on Disney property.

If you have extra credits, plan on doubling up for a meal or two to eat at a Signature restaurant.

-Rob

Minnie Mum

That's kinda the point behind Disney's marketing strategy. To keep you on site. In the case of the DxDP, above, you'd have to book a few reservations that require 2TS credits, such as the signature or dinner show restaurants.

MickeyMomV

Just a thought... Historically we have been pro dining plan people and now we sit on the fence so I'm not going to argue one way or another on that. What I will bring up is that with all of reservations you have listed you are going to spend about 4 hours a day on dining! Most table service locations are going to take an a minimum of an hour if not closer to an hour and 15 minutes not including wait times (most character dining is on a 75 minute rotation so you could be looking at an hour and a half there). Looking at the list I'm assuming you will be at the park for some of them but others you will have to travel to and that can take an extra hour to hour and a half round trip in travel time. I would recommend dropping it down to 1 TS per day and save a few of the locations and $$ for your next trip.

squidward

Original Poster
So, I used this calculator and was thinking I'd save a bit with the Dining Plan. Not so. The Deluxe Plan is $3,080.
Date Meal Type Location Cost
7/7/2017 Breakfast TS Kona Café $93.16
7/7/2017 Lunch TS San Angel Inn Restaurante $160.14
7/7/2017 Dinner TS Via Napoli Ristorante e Pizzeria $189.19
7/8/2017 Lunch TS Plaza Restaurant $133.76
7/8/2017 Dinner TS Ohana $206.04
7/9/2017 Breakfast TS Tusker House Restaurant $148.62
7/9/2017 Lunch TS Rainforest Cafe $170.94
7/9/2017 Dinner TS T-REX $156.14
7/10/2017 Lunch QS Pinocchio Village Haus $73.67
7/10/2017 Dinner TS Liberty Tree Tavern $169.67
7/11/2017 Breakfast TS Grand Floridian Café $100.09
7/11/2017 Lunch TS Via Napoli Ristorante e Pizzeria $189.19
7/11/2017 Dinner TS Ohana $206.04
7/12/2017 Breakfast TS Kona Café $93.16
7/12/2017 Lunch TS 50's Prime Time Café $153.68
7/12/2017 Dinner TS Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant $149.52
7/13/2017 Lunch QS Columbia Harbour House $69.54
7/13/2017 Dinner TS Tony's Town Square Restaurant $163.39
7/14/2017 Breakfast TS Kona Café $93.16

This is based on 3 adults, 2 children. Ohana for example, at $206, will probably be closer to $250. However, Via Napoli will come nowhere NEAR $189. We usually spend $60, tops. Rainforest Cafe will not be $171. More like $100. 50's Prime Time won't be $153. Maybe $80. Same with Sci Fi. It also estimated $67 for each QS breakfast. No way. We'll go to Gaston's at Magic Kingdom and spend maybe $25. The other counter service meals won't be $70. Closer to $40. Obviously, the calculator is comparing apples to apples and giving you everything you would get on the Dining Plan, including multiple appetizers and desserts for everyone. We won't eat that much. That's where the Dining Plan is a bit off. According to this calculator, out of pocket we would spend $2,891. However, it would actually be closer to around $2,100. Of course, if we changed some of these CS meals and ate some more character meals and more table meals, there would be more of a savings. However, we'd also have to figure in tips as well.

Bottom line is, it doesn't make sense for us as we don't like to eat 3 table service meals every day. There might be a day or 2 where we do that, but there will be other days where we'll eat just 1. We like Gaston's, we like Pinnochio's, we like Columbia House. It just doesn't make sense for us.

yedliW

If I were going to do the deluxe DDP, I would go the route of doing a breakfast and a 2pt signature dinner each day. You can use the snack credits if you get hungry during the day.

The problem is many of the best breakfast places are at the resorts, and if you don't have a car, it can be difficult getting to a different resort in the morning. A way around it would be to go to breakfast at one of the monorail resorts.

I could go either way when it comes to the DDP.. I can go cheap, and OOP and split meals and have a good time.. or I can enjoy the most expensive meal on the menu on the DDP.. so I can't really compare prices to see if we would save or not.. but I like the convenience of having it pre-paid for and only have to worry about tips.

gmajew

Premium Member
So, I used this calculator and was thinking I'd save a bit with the Dining Plan. Not so. The Deluxe Plan is $3,080.

This is based on 3 adults, 2 children. Ohana for example, at $206, will probably be closer to $250. However, Via Napoli will come nowhere NEAR $189. We usually spend $60, tops. Rainforest Cafe will not be $171. More like $100. 50's Prime Time won't be $153. Maybe $80. Same with Sci Fi. It also estimated $67 for each QS breakfast. No way. We'll go to Gaston's at Magic Kingdom and spend maybe $25. The other counter service meals won't be $70. Closer to $40. Obviously, the calculator is comparing apples to apples and giving you everything you would get on the Dining Plan, including multiple appetizers and desserts for everyone. We won't eat that much. That's where the Dining Plan is a bit off. According to this calculator, out of pocket we would spend $2,891. However, it would actually be closer to around $2,100. Of course, if we changed some of these CS meals and ate some more character meals and more table meals, there would be more of a savings. However, we'd also have to figure in tips as well.

Bottom line is, it doesn't make sense for us as we don't like to eat 3 table service meals every day. There might be a day or 2 where we do that, but there will be other days where we'll eat just 1. We like Gaston's, we like Pinnochio's, we like Columbia House. It just doesn't make sense for us.

I did the Dinning plan once and it is to much food..... and expensive.

I spent $2500 to feed my family of 4 and souvineers for a 8 day trip two weeks ago. This included one sit down meal a day at a signature or character dining experience. Then breakfast either room service or baked good every day and then QSR lunch for those that wanted it.

Then desert and lots of them every day.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
In my opinion, the ONLY advantage of the dining plan is the fact that you can more or less eat freely without needing to worry about cost (especially if you would go for the DDP). It's much like a Vegas buffet, you pay a big cost at the door, but once you're inside, you don't have to worry about debating if you're going to get the steak or the chicken or the pasta because any of them would be included. On the other hand, like a Vegas buffet, unless you plan on eating a LOT, you likely will not get your money's worth (or may just break even) and you really have to be willing to eat a lot (and look for the most expensive options on the menu) to actually get any savings.

If you're trying to save money on your Disney vacation, you're MUCH better off paying out of pocket for food. Even if a calculator has you breaking even or even showing a slight savings with the dining plan, chances are you're not going to be using all of the snacks provided with the dining plan and some meals you will end up feeling like you are forcing yourself to eat just so you don't go home with unused meal credits. Paying out of pocket allows you to eat exactly the amount you want.

MickeyMomV

Again that is a lot of table service dining!! 17 over 8 days and 4 of the 8 days have 3 TS scheduled. That is a lot of food and time!!

slappy magoo

Setting aside for a second the possibility that the estimated prices are inflated....
Unless prices went up again recently, Deluxe Dining Plan for an adult is $106.68. and a child is $38.75. That includes tax. You're paying for every night you stay, not every day you're there. So for each night you're there, it's $397.54. If you're staying 7/7 through 7/14 that's 7 nights total, making the grand total of the Deluxe Dining Plan $2782.78, not $3080. So you're off by nearly 300 bucks.

Now granted, $2783 is still FAR more than your estimate of around $2100 for what you'd normally pay to eat at those particular restaurants (though your estimates include no snacks, you'll get 2 snacks per person per night, so that's at least $80 in the difference twixt your personal estimate and the cost of the dining plan, and it could be even more depending on the kinds of snacks you picked.

Past few times we went we opted for the Deluxe Dining Plan. We justified it for these reasons
1: Most of those trips were in August. It was hotter than a monkey's butt. That's a monkey with flu, mind you, so even hotter than a normal monkey's butt. Being able to beat the heat with leisurely meals made sense to us.
2: We opted for a few Signature meals. We also did a lot of character meals, which afforded us the ability to avoid lines to meet most characters because our kids got their autographs and pictures while eating.
3: The price for kids' deluxe plan is SOOOOO much less than the adults. Even when the grownups seemed to be a few bucks shy of "breaking even" on any given day, the kids more than made up for it, especially when it came to the character meals or other buffets that were pay one price. Some days, even one of those meals could be more than the price of a Deluxe Plan for a child for the entire day.
4: Snacks as souvenirs! We would use a snack credit here and there for a shared popcorn during a parade, shared pretzels, cupcakes that looked too good. We rarely used more than 4 a day. So at the end of the trip, we used our credits for bags of Chip and Dale snacks or Goofy Candy Co. bagged items, stuff that would keep, so we could have a taste of Disney at home even a few weeks after returning.

Next time we all go, we probably won't do it as one of my kids will be too old to be on the kids' meal plan, and perhaps they'll be old enough that we won't need SOOO many character meals. But we had great times with the times we were on it. Just had to be thoughtful about how we used it.

slappy magoo

Again that is a lot of table service dining!! 17 over 8 days and 4 of the 8 days have 3 TS scheduled. That is a lot of food and time!!
But of course on a vacation, you should spend your time how you choose to spend it. Some people enjoy having at least one nice leisurely meal a day while on vacation, some prefer every meal be like that, some people just want to eat quick and get back on line. When we were on the dining plan, we usually did a breakfast or lunch as a sit down, plus dinner. We did a few Signatures, Cali Grill, Hoop-de-Doo where you should plan on being there a while. Worked out great for us, especially during the August trips where you would be in no rush to get back in the souplike nature of the Florida humidity.

squidward

Original Poster
We're there 7/7 - 7/15.

I agree with the above. We spend 10-12 hours a day at the parks. 3 hours out of our day for dining isn't a big deal, especially since it's in July. And for us, Disney Dining is a HUGE part of the vacation. I don't consider it a necessary diversion. I consider it an attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom