Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'm thrilled WDW is getting this ALL NEW parade. I fell like I've been watch the same parade at MK every visit. They just change the floats a little. "this time we removed the snow globe domes" I always felt they were lack luster compared to what we have seen at DL since 2000.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Could they be closing the parades to save up money for FoF? AND have money left over to refurbish a parade into a new one?
I would hope so!
I understand putting all the money into one great parade, but they need something to keep the crowds at the other parks.

GiveMeTheMusic

Could they be closing the parades to save up money for FoF? AND have money left over to refurbish a parade into a new one?
I would hope so!
I understand putting all the money into one great parade, but they need something to keep the crowds at the other parks.

I can't imagine this is the case, and if it is, it's poor business. For the amount of money it costs to get into the parks and stay at the hotels and eat the food, running a daily parade (as they have in three parks concurrently since 2001) shouldn't strain the budget to the point of breaking.

It wasn't long ago when I pointed to WDW as a phenomenal example of entertainment scheduling (not necessarily the entertainment itself). As recently as 2007, MK had parades/fireworks every day, EP had IllumiNations daily (still does), DHS ran parades/Fantasmic daily and DAK had a daily parade. Plus a cornucopia of live shows across the parks; contrasted with DLR who generally run shows/parades on 2 - 5 day schedules when it's not summer or Christmas.

SpectroMan93

As happy as I am about FOF being greenlit, if it had to be done at the cost of removing two parades and a daytime show at other parks, then management in Orlando really hasn't had a change of heart like I had hope. It is so sad that when one major addition is added, something else has to be cut, especially from a company that has more than enough to create excellent day and night entertainment at all of their parks. Disney can't coast on its brand forever for revenue and attendance, and its going to bite them in the ..

RSoxNo1

My current thoughts are that all the parade resources should go into MK to deliver the best parade possible. The parades at other parks have always been somewhat questionable, and forced in, particularly the DAK parade. If the resources are allocated elsewhere for improvements, I am happy to see the other park parades be removed.
The Animal Kingdom needs a parade as part of it's entertainment lineup, but Jammin' in the Jungle could probably be replaced. I'd love to see something like Tapestry of Nations/Dreams/Whatever find it's way to DAK.

doctornick

My current thoughts are that all the parade resources should go into MK to deliver the best parade possible. The parades at other parks have always been somewhat questionable, and forced in, particularly the DAK parade. If the resources are allocated elsewhere for improvements, I am happy to see the other park parades be removed.

Conceptually, I can understand that but MK is the last park at WDW that "needs" an upgraded parade considering all the other options there already. I was cautiously optimistic that the DHS parade removal had to do with repurposing the parade storage and/or removal of the BAH but I think getting rid of MJJP is a bad idea unless there is a planned replacement.

MattM

I can't imagine this is the case, and if it is, it's poor business. For the amount of money it costs to get into the parks and stay at the hotels and eat the food, running a daily parade (as they have in three parks concurrently since 2001) shouldn't strain the budget to the point of breaking.

How is that "-poor" business?

GiveMeTheMusic

How is that "-poor" business?

Good business is growth oriented. This move is not growth oriented.

Have you ever been to DAK and seen what occurs after the parade goes in the gate? Park becomes a ghost town unless it's peakest of peak seasons. If MK is overcrowding and hitting capacity, why would you continue to concentrate all of your efforts on drawing people to it? DAK and DHS will be surpassed by one or both Uni parks in attendance; if not in 2013, then in 2014. They are spiraling downward with less and less to attract guests. (ZOMG, but in 2018 there MIGHT be Cars Land! And in 2017 there MIGHT be Avatar!)

In 2001, Disney premiered THREE brand new parades at one time, plus a rebuild of an existing parade. Four new shows, all at once. WHERE ON EARTH DID THEY FIND THE MONEY TO DO SOMETHING SO LUDICROUSLY EXPENSIVE

Fast forward to 2013 and after exponential increases in ticket prices (and large crowd increases), WDW has to close three to pay for one new parade. MATH

Pulling major offerings from DAK and DHS will not help those parks bring in more dollars to justify their existence. There are four theme parks at WDW; acting like there aren't is poor business.

Secondly, it shows a total disdain for the guest and the Disney theme park experience. Only at WDW are there parks that don't offer parades. Every other Disney park in the world offers them (TDS' is on water, but it still performs and functions as a parade and serves as many guests). Parades, while not everyone's cup of tea, provide a number of benefits. They draw thousands of guests at one time (capacity!) allowing others to experience attractions. They provide a professionally designed and performed entertainment experience that (up until 2012) was unique to Disney in the US. It gives families the opportunity to see dozens of characters at one time with little effort, and provides valuable subliminal marketing time (ever wonder why the music is so catchy?).

At DAK, it performs quite a function, considering the park has a whopping 7 rides (including the train) and 4 shows (including Bug). The only reason people stay as long at DAK as they do is to see the parade. Attendance at DAK will fall further, regardless of first click, and guest spending will plummet. If I was Landry's, I'd be ed.

Even crappy parades attract hordes of people (how else do you explain the throngs for CTF or an MSEP that's all but dead?) day in and day out. Eliminating them from parks who are barely holding on in the first place is not a good business decision.

It MIGHT be okay, IF in 2014 major expansions were opening at these parks. But they aren't. If such expansions ever get built, God only knows how long it would take Disney to build them.

So 13 years after WDW miraculously pulled off the unbelievably expensive task of premiering four parades at once, they can now only afford to do one new parade IF they get rid of all the others. What SHOULD be happening, since there are no new attractions in the offing once SDMT finishes, is a 2001-style onslaught of new shows.

Instead, wristbands.

MattM

Good business is growth oriented. This move is not growth oriented.

Have you ever been to DAK and seen what occurs after the parade goes in the gate? Park becomes a ghost town unless it's peakest of peak seasons. If MK is overcrowding and hitting capacity, why would you continue to concentrate all of your efforts on drawing people to it? DAK and DHS will be surpassed by one or both Uni parks in attendance; if not in 2013, then in 2014. They are spiraling downward with less and less to attract guests. (ZOMG, but in 2018 there MIGHT be Cars Land! And in 2017 there MIGHT be Avatar!)

In 2001, Disney premiered THREE brand new parades at one time, plus a rebuild of an existing parade. Four new shows, all at once. WHERE ON EARTH DID THEY FIND THE MONEY TO DO SOMETHING SO LUDICROUSLY EXPENSIVE

Fast forward to 2013 and after exponential increases in ticket prices (and large crowd increases), WDW has to close three to pay for one new parade. MATH

Pulling major offerings from DAK and DHS will not help those parks bring in more dollars to justify their existence. There are four theme parks at WDW; acting like there aren't is poor business.

Cutting a sparsely (at best) attended parade at the lowest drawing park in WDW is not acting like there aren't 4 parks. You are coming to major conclusions while having very little information (and most of us don't have that info right now...its just a rumor). MJJP isn't a blockbuster by any means. Do you know nothing is going to replace it? Do you know other entertainment is not in the works?

How is the possibility that a whole new land may be added to a park acting as if it isn't a part of "four theme parks at WDW?''

And how is taking money from a segment that is not adding value and moving it towards something that is and could add even more valuable not growth oriented? I'm very confused.

And this isn't a comparison to parades v. wristbands. It's not an either/or scenario.

ToTBellHop

Cutting a sparsely (at best) attended parade at the lowest drawing park in WDW is not acting like there aren't 4 parks. You are coming to major conclusions while having very little information. MJJP isn't a blockbuster by any means. Do you know nothing is going to replace it? Do you know other entertainment is not in the works? How is the possibility that a whole new land may be added to a park acting as if it isn't a part of "four theme parks at WDW?''

And how is taking money from a segment that is not adding value and moving it towards something that is and could add even more valuable not growth oriented? I'm very confused.
Agreed. People expect parades on Main Street, USA. In a few years, people will never even remember that there was a parade shoe-horned into the narrow walkways at DAK (which weren't really designed for a parade). Outside of these boards, does anyone complain that Epcot doesn't have a parade any more? I don't think so. It never really worked there, either, while the entertainment in each of the 11 nations is fantastic. I'll always take the French jugglers/acrobats over Tapestry of Dreams and the pandemonium it caused every night...

Tip Top Club

Cutting a sparsely (at best) attended parade at the lowest drawing park in WDW is not acting like there aren't 4 parks. You are coming to major conclusions while having very little information (and most of us don't have that info right now...its just a rumor). MJJP isn't a blockbuster by any means. Do you know nothing is going to replace it? Do you know other entertainment is not in the works?

How is the possibility that a whole new land may be added to a park acting as if it isn't a part of "four theme parks at WDW?''

And this isn't a comparison to parades v. wristbands. It's not an either/or scenario.

If you're argument is based around "Well they might be replacing it later" He's already pointed out that that isn't a great business strategy either.... By the way Jammin' Jungle is attended on similar levels as Magic Kingdom's current Day Parade, and if you're talking budget RE: Wristbands, it might not have become an either or scenario, but it has now that spending on this project is in the high billions...

MattM

If you're argument is based around "Well they might be replacing it later" He's already pointed out that that isn't a great business strategy either.... By the way Jammin' Jungle is attended on similar levels as Magic Kingdom's current Day Parade, and if you're talking budget RE: Wristbands, it might not have become an either or scenario, but it has now that spending on this project is in the high billions...

Forgive me, but just because he said it isn't a great business strategy...well...

How do you know that it has become an either/or scenario now that the project is in the high billions (and what does high billions mean?)

Also, how do you know that MJJP is attended the same as the MK parade? Wouldn't an overwhelming percentage of guests at DAK have to see the parade to get to the same numbers of guests who see the MK parade, since DAK is attended much less than MK?

Tip Top Club

Let's put it like this:

Cars Land, which is one of the most immersive and astounding theme park environments ever created cost just over 300 million. Next Gen, which is basically a market research device that has been shoehorned to attempt to improve guest experience is rapidly approaching the 2 Billion dollar mark.

Cars Land has also cause a MASSIVE upswing in attendance and in-park spending. And let's face it, everyone on the planet knows about it with the ad campaign they put out there.

How much of an attendance driver will Next-Gen be?

MattM

Let's put it like this:

Cars Land, which is one of the most immersive and astounding theme park environments ever created cost just over 300 million. Next Gen, which is basically a market research device that has been shoehorned to attempt to improve guest experience is rapidly approaching the 2 Billion dollar mark.

Cars Land has also cause a MASSIVE upswing in attendance and in-park spending. And let's face it, everyone on the planet knows about it with the ad campaign they put out there.

How much of an attendance driver will Next-Gen be?

I'm not following your argument because it's all over the place. We're talking about whether or not moving entertainment dollars from one park to another is a good choice. NGE really doesn't effect that one way or the other as they are budgeted differently.

You are assuming that the only way they can add new parades/fireworks show is by cutting others. We do not know if that is the case(nor do I believe it to be). It is more likely that the parade wasn't worth its cost and those dollars could be spent better elsewhere.

Also, are you saying that MJJP is as big an attendance driver as Carsland?

meyeet

Is the closing of the MJJP due to construction at AK for the new show building for Lion King or possibly Avatar? My family will be sad to see it close as it was our favorite day time parade.

doctornick

If you're argument is based around "Well they might be replacing it later"

That's my thing. If the plan is to remove MJJP and replace it with a new (and hopefully better/improved) parade, then cool. But that doesn't sound like the plan. And regardless of Pandora being built or not, that's years away from being done and DAK needs as much as possible to do now. Removing a parade without providing an alternative is moving in the completely wrong direction than the park needs.

If TDO replaces MJJP with some other entertainment in the short term, that's great. But we have not seen any indication of that.

GiveMeTheMusic

Cutting a sparsely (at best) attended parade at the lowest drawing park in WDW is not acting like there aren't 4 parks. You are coming to major conclusions while having very little information. MJJP isn't a blockbuster by any means. Do you know nothing is going to replace it? Do you know other entertainment is not in the works? How is the possibility that a whole new land may be added to a park acting as if it isn't a part of "four theme parks at WDW?''

MJJP is not sparsely attended (at least not when I've seen it) and has been running daily for 12 years - if it had been underperforming, it would have been cut some time ago. DAK and DHS could be money minters - they aren't. There is no good reason why the parades aren't being immediately replaced with improved offerings. WDW can afford it, and frankly, they need to be giving guests every possible reason in the world to visit DHS and DAK. For reasons that remain unknown to the thinking population, they are hellbent on the opposite.

Major expansions at both parks SHOULD be under construction by now. They aren't. They don't even know what they're going to build, let alone when. They will wait to act AFTER their market share is eaten away at by competitors, rather than beating them to the punch. What is to be gained from such a strategy?

Someone (now I can't remember where I saw it) said that Uni built Transformers in 10 months because USF couldn't go through another summer like 2012's (apparently JAWS' loss was a harder blow than execs expected). In a growth oriented move, they built a high-tech hot property E-ticket in less than a year to ensure continuing attendance, and therefore guest spending (new Springfield offerings should help there as well). With Potter coming in 2014, USF is on track to explode attendance for the next few years at least. IOA will grow with JP and possibly Seuss expansions in 2015 before attention returns to Kid Zone at USF.

A dumb move would have been for UOR to cut resources at USF and concentrate solely on IOA (it has the higher attendance and spending). You know, like TDO has been consistently doing.

DHS and DAK are in as dire of straits as USF. So what does Disney do? Cut relentlessly and drag heels on additions. THAT'LL PACK 'EM IN

And again, MK is being stretched to the limit thanks to years of cutting attractions/dining/shopping with no replacements and demand for it shows no sign of slowing down. MK cannot continue to grow attendance without additional capacity infrastructure - something FLE and the new parade don't address.

FOF is sorely needed, but the idea that WDW can't afford it without killing everything else is ludicrous.

If DHS is lucky, they'll get Pixar Play when DCA's done with it in 2015. Maybe by 2017 or 2018 TDO will have scraped together enough money (maybe they could do a Kickstarter!) to build a new parade, and by then, they can just kill FOF to pay for it.

Meanwhile, wristbands.

MattM

MJJP is not sparsely attended (at least not when I've seen it) and has been running daily for 12 years - if it had been underperforming, it would have been cut some time ago. DAK and DHS could be money minters - they aren't. There is no good reason why the parades aren't being immediately replaced with improved offerings. WDW can afford it, and frankly, they need to be giving guests every possible reason in the world to visit DHS and DAK. For reasons that remain unknown to the thinking population, they are hellbent on the opposite.

Major expansions at both parks SHOULD be under construction by now. They aren't. They don't even know what they're going to build, let alone when. They will wait to act AFTER their market share is eaten away at by competitors, rather than beating them to the punch. What is to be gained from such a strategy?

Someone (now I can't remember where I saw it) said that Uni built Transformers in 10 months because USF couldn't go through another summer like 2012's (apparently JAWS' loss was a harder blow than execs expected). In a growth oriented move, they built a high-tech hot property E-ticket in less than a year to ensure continuing attendance, and therefore guest spending (new Springfield offerings should help there as well). With Potter coming in 2014, USF is on track to explode attendance for the next few years at least. IOA will grow with JP and possibly Seuss expansions in 2015 before attention returns to Kid Zone at USF.

A dumb move would have been for UOR to cut resources at USF and concentrate solely on IOA (it has the higher attendance and spending). You know, like TDO has been consistently doing.

DHS and DAK are in as dire of straits as USF. So what does Disney do? Cut relentlessly and drag heels on additions. THAT'LL PACK 'EM IN

And again, MK is being stretched to the limit thanks to years of cutting attractions/dining/shopping with no replacements and demand for it shows no sign of slowing down. MK cannot continue to grow attendance without additional capacity infrastructure - something FLE and the new parade don't address.

FOF is sorely needed, but the idea that WDW can't afford it without killing everything else is ludicrous.

If DHS is lucky, they'll get Pixar Play when DCA's done with it in 2015. Maybe by 2017 or 2018 TDO will have scraped together enough money (maybe they could do a Kickstarter!) to build a new parade, and by then, they can just kill FOF to pay for it.

Meanwhile, wristbands.

The fundamental flaw in your argument is that Disney never made the statement that they cannot stomach another summer like 2012. To members of this board, Disney is not doing well. To everyone else Disney is still a great place to vacation.

Now if you want to talk solely about whether "wrist bands" is a good move or not, we can do that. But they aren't related, no matter how many times you end your posts with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom